Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default First outing with my Rock Slide upper

Without writing a few paragraphs about the how and why I built another 80% glock type handgun, I'll just cut to the chase.

I built a glock type handgun with a Polymer 80 lower and a Glock LPK. I ended up buying a Rockslide USA upper after shopping around. Details:
G17 Gen 3
RS2 model with vents $219
Internal parts kit $50
Recoil spring $5
Glock factory poly sights $12.99
Threaded barrel $60
Thread protector $12.99
Total $360.97
Shipping free with a coupon I googled off the internet

I bought the threaded barrel with the intention of putting a compensator on it with a lower weight recoil spring. When I got it, I put a regular Swenson barrel (Midway USA) in it and put the threaded barrel on another build. I'll get the compensator over Memorial Day weekend as I'm expecting them to be on sale or at least free shipping.

Attachment 804441

IMG_2508.jpg

Rock slide upper FDE

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

So I got out this morning to the range in a weird, soggy May morning. Good part, range not crowded. Bad part, I used my wife's hair dryer to dry out all of my equipment when I got home.

I put 400 rounds through the new build with the Rockslide upper. Very pleased. Unlike previous builds where I had jams, stovepipes and FTFs within the first 100 rounds, this new slide was just great. I had 17 light primer strikes with my TUL ammo. I switched to Fiocchi brass ammo and had zero problems. I fed the TUL ammo with the light strikes through my other build and they all shot off, so the light strike issue is with the Rock Slide upper and TUL steel ammo. With that said, I put 300 rounds of steel through the Rock Slide and had just the few light primer strikes.

IMG_2503.jpg

I couldn't find any info on Calguns about Rock Slides and very little on the internet about them. So here's on guys opinion. I have no affiliation with Rock Slides. My other builds have Swenson and Brownells slides and parts so I just like to try different options. YMMV.

Last edited by metalcruncher; 05-16-2019 at 1:07 PM.. Reason: Rotated photo
Old 05-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I thought threaded barrels were a felony.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:51 AM

Maybe the pics were taken in Nevada?
Old 05-16-2019, 1:44 PM

curious regarding those light strikes. Assuming you're using the same kit and some parts as your other builds, you could try swapping springs with one you know works to see if that cures it?
Old 05-16-2019, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
I thought threaded barrels were a felony.
from my basic understanding, they are unless OP is out of state or that thread protector is permanently fixed to it ?
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 05-16-2019, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I've looked at Rock Slides via Gunbroker and on their direct site.

I was considering building up a 19 slide with RMR instead or doing a Dueck base...

So which do you prefer? Brownells or Rock Slide?
Old 05-16-2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Caketown View Post
from my basic understanding, they are unless OP is out of state or that thread protector is permanently fixed to it ?
I'll assume he's complying with all state and federal laws. The gun he put the threaded barrel on is likely in NV or is properly pinned and welded. Also, the P80 frame has the correct size chunk of stainless in it and is properly registered with the CADOJ if it is in fact in CA.
Old 05-17-2019, 7:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I've looked at Rock Slides via Gunbroker and on their direct site.

I was considering building up a 19 slide with RMR instead or doing a Dueck base...

So which do you prefer? Brownells or Rock Slide?
I think Brownells is a great company. Their G17 slide is good. A little rough looking. In an unheated garage safe, I found light rust on the slide after a few months.

The Rockslide works so far. Appearance is nicer. I obviously got the cuts instead of the solid slide.

My Brownells has a Trijicon RMR. I love it. Rockslide supports the Venom and another. Never used any other RMR than the Trijicon so I canít point you in the right direction there.

Overall very happy with the Rockslide.
Old 05-17-2019, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcruncher View Post
My Brownells has a Trijicon RMR. I love it. Rockslide supports the Venom and another. Never used any other RMR than the Trijicon so I canít point you in the right direction there.

Overall very happy with the Rockslide.
I might try one (RS). I have a couple of the MOS slides and both have had Fast Fire III's and RMR 06's on them. I have a spare RMR already. As far as other RMR type RDS, I like the Holosun HS507C and the FF3's a lot. Also have a Nikon Spur that hasn't been used much yet.