Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2019, 1:04 AM

I have a serialized and volregged 80% lower, which is registered as just a lower. I want to build a single shot bolt action pistol, but the part of the penal code I'm getting caught up on is the 30 days to configure part. I volregged prior to the cutoff where registration was required and applications were for serial numbers assigned by DOJ. Do/did I only have 30 days to complete/have completed the build and submit documentation of such? Or because I volregged would/am I exempt from the 30 say reconfiguration period? Is it possible to reconfigure (not to an unsafe handgun) /build a lower into a pistol /change the barrel after 30 days from registration?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 04-05-2019, 9:57 AM

You would have to get a new lower to mill out specifically for the pistol. Iím guessing the lower you volreg was as a rifle before the cutoff date. The 30 day reconfiguration period is if you got the serial number engraved and build up the pistol as a single shot in its final configuration.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Oh and the 30 day period is for the USNA process since the volreg is no longer available for self made firearms.
Old 04-05-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager56 View Post
You would have to get a new lower to mill out specifically for the pistol. Iím guessing the lower you volreg was as a rifle before the cutoff date. The 30 day reconfiguration period is if you got the serial number engraved and build up the pistol as a single shot in its final configuration.

Unfortunately yes; volreg'd as "rifle". I just checked CRIS. I thought there was a reciever only option. Oh darn, gotta assemble another AR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 04-07-2019, 8:33 PM

Potentially dumb question;

From what I understand only 80% lowers built into firearms need to be registered and serial number'd, stripped lowers don't need that so long as it's built into a featureless rifle, right?
Old 04-07-2019, 9:09 PM

80s had to be with Volregged by the cutoff date. Now you have to apply for a SN before you machine it.
If by stripped, you mean a DROSed lower, it already has a SN from the manufacturer.
Old 04-08-2019, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
Potentially dumb question;

From what I understand only 80% lowers built into firearms need to be registered and serial number'd, stripped lowers don't need that so long as it's built into a featureless rifle, right?
ANY 80% firearm receiver with any amount of completion work beyond how it was originally sold as a non-firearm now needs to be marked, serialized and registered.
It does not matter if it's assembled into a functional firearm or not.
It does not matter how it is configured.
Simply being machined beyond the non-firearm level makes it a firearm and therefore subject to the marking/serializing/registration law.

Alternatives to marking include destruction or removal from California.
It's cheaper to cut up an 80% reciever and DROS a 100% receiver than it is to go through the USNA process and engrave one lower with your make/model/serial number.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Yeah, the $$ I burned so I can build and keep unregistered is lost now. Lame.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Yeah, the $$ I burned so I can build and keep unregistered is lost now. Lame.
Meanwhile, any long gun purchased prior to 2013 is not registered.
All those 2005 "two weeks" lowers are not registered...
Old 04-08-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
All those 2005 "two weeks" lowers are not registered...
I'm not old enough to know. What is this?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
I'm not old enough to know. What is this?
Back in 2005 when the bullet button became the solution to be able to build AR's, everyone thought that the DOJ would shutdown the sales of lowers in...

Hence we have the term "two weeks" in common use on Calguns as well as the above smily.
Old 04-08-2019, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have to admire the great lengths the State of California has gone, and continues to go, to convert law abiding citizens into criminals.

Truly boggles the mind...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." - Josef Stalin
Old 04-09-2019, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoduc View Post
You have to admire the great lengths the State of California has gone, and continues to go, to convert law abiding citizens into criminals.

Truly boggles the mind...
Once you get past the fruits and the nuts all that's left are the flakes.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
You didn't search hard enough.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1194330

This one is on the house.
Nice find thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Anyone else still waiting for approval letters for volreg'd AR pistols? I submitted end of June 2018, got a request in December asking for pictures, pushed back asking for citation of penal code, haven't heard anything else since. Still says "In Progress" in CRIS.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Does this law also relate to 80% Glock build polymer frames offered by our favorite big box internet retailers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyAR View Post
Does this law also relate to 80% Glock build polymer frames offered by our favorite big box internet retailers?

Californian’s can’t currently manufacture pistols, that pertains to 80% kits as well. We are banned to do so.
Also before buying any pistols we must make sure they are listed in the California Roster.
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

P.s.
We used to be able to build a a few years ago. Many of us did back then.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
Californianís canít currently manufacture pistols, that pertains to 80% kits as well. We are banned to do so.
Also before buying any pistols we must make sure they are listed in the California Roster.

P.s.
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
Californianís canít currently manufacture pistols, that pertains to 80% kits as well. We are banned to do so.

P.s.
Not sure why this FUD has become so prevalent on calguns in recent months. Is it because of the crackdown on AR pistols that were converted to semi auto?

If that's what it is... Are we not capable of some critical thinking? Franklin Armory fights CADOJ and essentially forces them to roster a bolt action AR pistol. These pistols (lets face it, they're basically SBRs) start getting sold statewide, people obviously converting them to semi auto. DOJ (already butthurt about letting it on the roster in the first place) decides to do deploy some extra-judicial scare tactics by going out and confiscating some AR pistols and publishing a threatening memo.

Calgunners proceed to throw a wet blanket on the entire 80% handgun market....
80% 1911? Same as AR Pistol...

SSE1 pistol from years ago? Some even saying those are illegal now.

SSE2 pistol? Nope! Apparently all the exemptions in the penal code disappeared overnight.

It's bad enough what we have coming down the Newsom pipeline without adding to it with our own unwarranted regulation.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Max View Post
Not sure why this FUD has become so prevalent on calguns in recent months.
Is it because of the crackdown on AR pistols that were converted to semi auto?
It's because of the 2014 crackdown on dealers converting semi-auto pistols into single shot pistols temporarily in order to bypass the roster.
In shutting down that, the DOJ expanded the definition of "manufacturing an unsafe pistol" to also overlap with what was previously legal for home builders to do.
Therefore it has not been legal to self make a semi-auto pistol since 2014.
No problem with single shots or bolt actions or break-open action pistols.
It's just not legal to later make any of those into semi-autos.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's because of the 2014 crackdown on dealers converting semi-auto pistols into single shot pistols temporarily in order to bypass the roster.
In shutting down that, the DOJ expanded the definition of "manufacturing an unsafe pistol" to also overlap with what was previously legal for home builders to do.
Therefore it has not been legal to self make a semi-auto pistol since 2014.
No problem with single shots or bolt actions or break-open action pistols.
It's just not legal to later make any of those into semi-autos.
Agree with everything you said except that last part. That's another instance where calgunners misinterpreted a new law (in this case, ab857)

Michel & Associates doesn't believe it's illegal to convert to semi auto either. There are no prosecutions of people converting being charged as manufacturing.

Here's a link to one of many discussions that reference AB857:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22326431

Once a firearm is built, its manufactured. Modifying firearms into other legal configurations are exactly that, modification.

the 4th circuit defined manufacturing as "to make ready for use"
the ab857 definition finishes with the phrase "to contruct a firearm" (which implies a firearm didnt exist beforehand)

if we try to take the literal definition, simply putting together a gun after cleaning it would be manufacturing.
Old 04-30-2019, 6:01 AM

Lots of people registered 80% pistols as semi auto converted and non of them got raided.
Old 04-30-2019, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Lots of people registered 80% pistols as semi auto converted and non of them got raided.
I'm still waiting with my pics pending after applying for a serial number for a ar pistol made in 15 or 16 but I broke it back down after registered as a semi auto that was originally built as a single shot with no gas tube. Then we had videos of some guys getting visits and the reason was the unsafe pistol production so I figure if I make it atleast a year without a visit I might be in the clear.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 9:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Ya but at least a few did get raided.

Not saying anything is legal or illegal, just saying that while lots of people didn't get raided for this, a few did.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Ya but at least a few did get raided.

Not saying anything is legal or illegal, just saying that while lots of people didn't get raided for this, a few did.
For AW reg wasn't it just one guy and it wasn't related to manufacturing/SSE but rather AW features right?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
For AW reg wasn't it just one guy and it wasn't related to manufacturing/SSE but rather AW features right?
The one of the dude that last 2 in San Diego that he videos they handed him a paperwork stating that his pistol he built wasnt on the roster so it was illegal to do so.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
The one of the dude that last 2 in San Diego that he videos they handed him a paperwork stating that his pistol he built wasnt on the roster so it was illegal to do so.

That doesnít sound like itís related to AWReg tho. I guess Iím splitting hairs but I donít think anyone who AWRegd their pistols had been hit with manufacturing stemming from the AWReg.
Old 04-30-2019, 5:36 PM

I’m still a bit confused about the process required for stripped lowers purchased online from out of state that already have a serial #, makers name, makers city & state, and caliber.
Beyond shipping it to a local FFL and doing the DROS process, would I still have to get a Cali DOJ assigned serial and/or register it?

I’d like to buy one of those PSA AR stripped lower receivers when they go on sale, but it defeats the purpose if I have to get it engraved again.
Old 04-30-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacho87 View Post
Iím still a bit confused about the process required for stripped lowers purchased online from out of state that already have a serial #, makers name, makers city & state, and caliber.
Beyond shipping it to a local FFL and doing the DROS process, would I still have to get a Cali DOJ assigned serial and/or register it?

Iíd like to buy one of those PSA AR stripped lower receivers when they go on sale, but it defeats the purpose if I have to get it engraved again.
That's not an 80%. This is the 80% thread. What you are talking about is a regular 100% receiver that does not need to be engraved again. Nothing in this thread really applies to that.
Old 04-30-2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
That's not an 80%. This is the 80% thread. What you are talking about is a regular 100% receiver that does not need to be engraved again. Nothing in this thread really applies to that.
That makes sense. This is my first AR build and Iím still wrapping my head around all the new terminaology.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2019, 7:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacho87 View Post
That makes sense. This is my first AR build and Iím still wrapping my head around all the new terminaology.

Thanks
Once you get your lower, take a look at some of the compliance threads, to make sure you don't accidentally make a felony "Assault Weapon". It's pretty easy to mess that up if you aren't too familiar with the laws and assemble the wrong combination of parts. In summary, it either needs some sort of magazine lock that requires you to open the action to change mags, or it needs to lack any and all assault weapon "features". I've already seen a few people build assault weapons without even realizing it. Also if you bought any large capacity mags during freedom week, you can't use them in an AR that has a magazine lock, you can only use them in a featureless AR.
Old 04-30-2019, 8:41 PM

If I am 19, with a hunting license, am I able to apply for a serial number and manufacture in California?

Or- I am currently living in Colorado, and am legally considered to be a resident of Colorado under ATF ruling 1980-21. Am I able to drill a hole into my receiver in Colorado, import it, and then register it under ß 5509 (c)?
Old 04-30-2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeH View Post
If I am 19, with a hunting license, am I able to apply for a serial number and manufacture in California?

Or- I am currently living in Colorado, and am legally considered to be a resident of Colorado under ATF ruling 1980-21. Am I able to drill a hole into my receiver in Colorado, import it, and then register it under ß 5509 (c)?
Why not just finish the thing in Colorado and then bring it with you when you move?

Old 04-30-2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
Why not just finish the thing in Colorado and then bring it with you when you move?

That's what I'm asking if I can do- California doesn't really explain what a New Resident is. I am technically a Colorado resident according to the ATF, but since I still live in the dorms I am unable to get a Colorado DL. Would I be breaking the law if I import and apply for a SN?
Old 05-01-2019, 8:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Max View Post
Agree with everything you said except that last part. That's another instance where calgunners misinterpreted a new law (in this case, ab857)

Michel & Associates doesn't believe it's illegal to convert to semi auto either. There are no prosecutions of people converting being charged as manufacturing.

Here's a link to one of many discussions that reference AB857:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22326431

Once a firearm is built, its manufactured. Modifying firearms into other legal configurations are exactly that, modification.

the 4th circuit defined manufacturing as "to make ready for use"
the ab857 definition finishes with the phrase "to contruct a firearm" (which implies a firearm didnt exist beforehand)

if we try to take the literal definition, simply putting together a gun after cleaning it would be manufacturing.
DOJ opines that what you and I call "conversion" is actually "manufacturing".
I disagree as well, but that's their opinion.
Old 05-03-2019, 9:37 AM

Not sure if I posted this or not but for a data point I did a 80% volreg literally at the last minute at 11:56pm or something. I posted in this thread about it. That got approved and letter sent back to me Nov. 3rd of last year.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 PM

Sheesh, CFARS login not working..."forgot password" link ALSO not working.
I thought I read people were having problems reseting their password but I can't find the post(s).
Anyone know about this off the top of their head?
Old 05-22-2019, 8:20 AM

I selected remember my password and that's still working for me. I did a request for a serial number for a AR pistol built in 15 or 16, was given serials to engrave and got that done and accepted in December I think, application still shows pending approval from my pics. 6 months down, another 6 to go i guess from that year stipulation deal before I'd feel confident reassembling it if I didnt get a visit first.

Old 05-22-2019, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2gunstuff View Post
Sheesh, CFARS login not working..."forgot password" link ALSO not working.
I thought I read people were having problems reseting their password but I can't find the post(s).
Anyone know about this off the top of their head?
I had to call them to get mine reset a while back.

Anyone know what the "change password" frequency is? Seems very short ... Six months perhaps? Just managed to catch mine one day before it expired and would like to mark my calendar for next time.

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 05-22-2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure if I posted this or not but for a data point I did a 80% volreg literally at the last minute at 11:56pm or something. I posted in this thread about it. That got approved and letter sent back to me Nov. 3rd of last year.
What kind of build? Still waiting on three AR pistol builds, volreg'd end of June, still says In Progress, never got any letters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk