Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2019, 11:49 PM

Default Are .22 cal rimfire pistols allowed to have threaded barrels?

It is my understanding that all pistols are forbidden to have threaded barrels, but someone is trying to tell me that rimfire are exempt from this law.

Is this true or false?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Semi auto Rimfire rifles are exempt from AW laws, semi auto rimfire handguns are not exempt.

So a threaded barrel on a rimfire semi auto pistol would make it an assault weapon if it had a magazine that could be removed without disassembly of the action.

Non semi-auto centerfire and rimfire handguns are exempt.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 PM

Thank you for that fast reply !

:0)

I will then tell this person a second time that the threads would either have to be removed (via lathe) or something attached, pinned and welded, else he will make no sound when he farts...
Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 AM
retired Goon

The following summary is still correct...

CA summary for threaded barrels and handguns:
Threaded barrel not attached to anything = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a bolt-action pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a lever-action pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a pump-action pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a revolver = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a single-shot pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a semi-auto pistol with a fixed magazine = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a semi-auto pistol that does not have a fixed magazine (accepts detachable magazines) = illegal [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

Fixed magazine being an ammunition feeding device that is contained in the firearm and it can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or it is permanently attached to the firearm's magazine well. [PC 30515(b) & 11 CCR 5471(k),(m),(n),(p),(w)]

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer’s hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-29-2019, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbi View Post
It is my understanding that all pistols are forbidden to have threaded barrels, but someone is trying to tell me that rimfire are exempt from this law.

Is this true or false?
As many previous posters have correctly stated, rimfire handguns are not exempt from the AW statutes.

That makes it generally true that you cannot have a threaded barrel on a rimfire pistol having a detachable magazine (please refer to PC section 30515(a)).

But there are exceptions to the general rule. A designated "Olympic" pistol may be lawfully possessed with a threaded barrel, even though it meets the definition of an AW (please refer to PC section 30515(d)).
Old 04-29-2019, 2:02 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

^^^^ I always forget about the Olympic exemption
Old 04-29-2019, 4:21 PM

so what about the old S&W 422 models ? still see them for sale time to time in the LGS (?)
Old 04-29-2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grunt View Post
so what about the old S&W 422 models ? still see them for sale time to time in the LGS (?)
If it has a threaded barrel, it's a no-go.
Old 04-29-2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
If it has a threaded barrel, it's a no-go.
The S&W 422 does have a nut that holds the barrel in place , does that mean it's a no go ?

I just got one a few months back at my LGS.... is that the same as a threaded barrel ? no threads stick out .

Last edited by green grunt; 05-01-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grunt View Post
The S&W 422 does have a nut that holds the barrel in place , does that mean it's a no go ?

I just got one a few months back at my LGS.... is that the same as a threaded barrel ? no threads stick out past the end of barrel....
The nut needs to be permanetly attached in order for it to be CA legal.

There are commerically available adaptors that allows a silencer to be attached to the factory threaded barrel of the S&W Model 422/622/22xx series.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-30-2019, 8:31 AM

How about one of these? They're obviously for 6mm airsoft pistols (here comes the haters), but for a rimfire I think it'd be fun to run a faux airsoft suppressor (14mm negative thread) or muzzle device. Provided the bores line up. Should be legal by definition since it's NOT a threaded barrel.

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within." - - General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur, 13 June 1951
Old 04-30-2019, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
^^^^ I always forget about the Olympic exemption
That usually begs more questions.

For anyone seeking more details, here’s the list.
Old 05-02-2019, 8:16 PM

You can thank the ahole that showed a silencer threaded onto a pistol-walther p22 (22lr) to point out a specific example that helped the ban on pistol threaded barrels even thought for decades people threaded comps on competiton handguns for ipsc and such....

It is true that many times gun owners are the bane of gun owners....

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]