Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Default 15 count magazine - to and back from NV? NO

I bought 15 round magazines during "Freedom Week", I am going to FrontSight in Nevada and want to take them with me - Sacramento to Las Vegas and back to Sacramento.
If I fly will I be able to bring them back into California or will they get confiscated because they now came from Nevada, even though they came from California first?
I know how to pack my pistol - no problem, just don't want to lose my new mags.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have to block them to bring back. Cannot import 10 plus round mags after 4/5/19 at 5pm.Use search lots of posts on this.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneGW View Post
I bought 15 round magazines during "Freedom Week", I am going to FrontSight in Nevada and want to take them with me - Sacramento to Las Vegas and back to Sacramento.
If I fly will I be able to bring them back into California or will they get confiscated because they now came from Nevada, even though they came from California first?
I know how to pack my pistol - no problem, just don't want to lose my new mags.
My advice is leave them here, take 10s, and source 15s there, then leave them, sell them, gift them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM

What if you block them now, take them out, bring them back blocked? How does that fit into the law?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you take them there and block before coming you cannot unblock back here.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophical View Post
What if you block them now, take them out, bring them back blocked? How does that fit into the law?
Sure, that works . . . so long as you leave them blocked once you are back in California. If you unblock them in California, then you're manufacturing a large-capacity magazine. Pen. Code Sec. 32310(b).

In other words, not a good idea.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Pretty much what I thought.
Old 04-19-2019, 1:24 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They won't be confiscated - TSA doesn't care, so long as they are in checked luggage - but that would be importing LCMs, and that's prohibited.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-22-2019, 1:20 PM

Thanks,
I take it best left here
Old 04-22-2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneGW View Post
Thanks,
I take it best left here
Being a Cali resident, are you even allowed to purchase any mag that is 10+ even for your training in Vegas? I remember going to a gun store out there a few years ago and the owner wouldn't even let me touch anything, let alone sell me things, because I was from Cali. All I wanted was a shiny blue beretta gun lock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haza12d View Post
Being a Cali resident, are you even allowed to purchase any mag that is 10+ even for your training in Vegas? I remember going to a gun store out there a few years ago and the owner wouldn't even let me touch anything, let alone sell me things, because I was from Cali. All I wanted was a shiny blue beretta gun lock.

That owner was a moron. California residents are free to purchase whatever they want outside of California, so long as it is not a firearm and is legal in the state they are purchasing. Purchasing a firearm, with some limited restrictions (C&R for FFL03 holders), outside of your home state violates the Gun Control Act of 1968, unless it is shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.

Also, how would he know you are from California? Did you announce it or something?

Last edited by Califpatriot; 04-22-2019 at 2:43 PM..
Old 04-22-2019, 2:51 PM

He asked me for an ID when I asked if I can take a look at revolver. When he saw that I was from Cali, he said I couldn't handle anything in the store.

Old 04-22-2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
He asked me for an ID when I asked if I can take a look at revolver. When he saw that I was from Cali, he said I couldn't handle anything in the store.

Maybe he thinks you're an undercover lib news reporter.
Old 04-22-2019, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
He sounds like a real douchebag. What store was it?

Old 04-22-2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
He sounds like a real douchebag. What store was it?
I don't remember. This was a few years back. I think there was a shooting range within the same property though or very close to it.

Old 04-22-2019, 3:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It would be a ghastly violation to just ship them from NV to your home. I probably won't sleep tonight for just mentioning that....
Old 04-22-2019, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
That owner was a moron. California residents are free to purchase whatever they want outside of California, so long as it is not a firearm and is legal in the state they are purchasing. Purchasing a firearm, with some limited restrictions (C&R for FFL03 holders), outside of your home state violates the Gun Control Act of 1968, unless it is shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.

Also, how would he know you are from California? Did you announce it or something?
I had the same experience in one of the larger Vegas gun stores, but not in another that didn't ask me for my I.D. and even when I told the guy I was from Cali. I have family in Vegas and one store is going to make a legal sale.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 04-22-2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:

The wife and I were at the new Cabela's in El Paso last December. (I would almost swear lights were shining and I thought I heard angels singing in the background.) It has been a long time since I seen that many firearms openly displayed and well lit. The guys there were real helpful and showed us anything we wanted to see even though we told them we were from California.

Maybe nails just drive themselves into the wood.
Old 04-26-2019, 9:06 AM

Quote:

since he knows he cant sell you a firearm, he doesnt want to waste his time showing to you since your not buying.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Should've gone to a different one.

Edit: As far as them not showing you anything, If I were a gun store employee in Nevada and someone from Cali showed up, I think my reaction would be to show them the freedom they've been missing out. (well, WE, since I live here too lol) That's just messed up on his part.
Old 04-26-2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:

And exactly how did the owner know where you were from? Do you have "I live in California" tattoed on your forehead?
Old 04-26-2019, 7:00 PM

I went to Tucson a few years back. The first gun shop I went to I let them know I was from California and couldn't take anything back on the plane with me. The sales guy was so happy he said several times "Welcome to America". The next shop I went to I was the only one in the shop. He felt bad that I was from California and kept repeating for a half hour " I'm so sorry you are from California". Apparently being from California was the worst thing that could happen to someone.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 PM

I went to a bunch in the vegas area to get some mags to block/pin to bring back and none of them cared I was from CA.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 PM

I'm a truck driver. For 5 years I drove California to/from Nebraska every week.
I've bought a lot of 17 round Beretta mags a 30 round Pmags.
No one cares.
Now I live in AZ and no one cares even more.
Maybe focus as hard on traffic laws as on guns laws. Impacts more people

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2019, 5:38 AM

I’m from CA & Spurlocks gun shop in Henderson wouldn’t sell me anything...Ventura Munitions is the place to go!
Old 04-29-2019, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcision View Post
Should've gone to a different one.

Edit: As far as them not showing you anything, If I were a gun store employee in Nevada and someone from Cali showed up, I think my reaction would be to show them the freedom they've been missing out. (well, WE, since I live here too lol) That's just messed up on his part.
Agree!! I'd walked out and gone elsewhere. Happened to me once when I was with a buddy who was an off duty officer from CA. He wasn't even allowed to carry his off duty weapon in that vegas gun store!! Never stepped foot in that store again since then.
Old 04-29-2019, 8:45 AM

I travel outside of the state several times a year for various training courses and bring cases full of "assault rifles" and standard rifle/pistol mags with me when I fly. TSA does not care, it is federally legal to do so. There is no magical DOJ agent assigned to verify contents of your luggage creeping around at the airports when you arrive home. I am a LEO, but that is never conveyed to anyone at the airline counter or otherwise. If you are conducting yourself lawfully during your travels, no one will know or care what you have in your possession. This place is a master class in painting yourself into a corner
Old 04-29-2019, 9:32 AM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by socom308 View Post
This place is a master class in painting yourself into a corner
Agreed!
Old 04-29-2019, 3:43 PM

The damn state can’t manage a pothole.
Old 04-29-2019, 4:27 PM

I have not researched this issue. However, it seems to me that should a California resident temporarily leave the state, when that person returns bringing the personal property they had when they left, it is not importing. The magazine statute does not specifically define importing. So, one is left with the commercial definition, if there is one. I cannot believe that when one returns to CA with the lawfully owned property they had when they left, they are importing anything.
As an analogy I think about taking expensive jewelry on a trip to Europe. Upon return to the US one is not importing the jewelry.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-29-2019, 11:42 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
I have not researched this issue. However, it seems to me that should a California resident temporarily leave the state, when that person returns bringing the personal property they had when they left, it is not importing. The magazine statute does not specifically define importing. So, one is left with the commercial definition, if there is one. I cannot believe that when one returns to CA with the lawfully owned property they had when they left, they are importing anything.
As an analogy I think about taking expensive jewelry on a trip to Europe. Upon return to the US one is not importing the jewelry.
Starting 07-01-2017, the exemption [PC 32420] to CA large capacity magazines laws that allowed a person who legally owned/possess large capacity magazines to leave CA with those magazines and return to CA with those magazines was repealed.

The initial Court ordered injuction issued on 06-30-2017, did not bring this exemption back.

The recent Court ordered stay that went into effect on 04-05-2019, did not bring this exemption back.

Therefore...

It is CA legal for a person that legally owns/possess large capacity magazines to leave CA with those magazines, but CA illegal for that person to return to CA with those magazines (felony importation).

AFAIK...
The intent for the repeal was to reduce the amount of lawfully owned/possessed large capacity magazines in CA.
It makes it so a person can legally leave CA with large capacity magazines, but can not legally return with those magazines.
The magazines had to be stored out-of-state or transferred out-of-state or made into permanently modified 10 round magazines prior to returning to CA.

Penal Code 32420 THIS WAS REPEALED EFFECTIVE 07-01-2017.
Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the same large-capacity magazine.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-29-2019 at 11:44 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:

I’ve never had a problem buying a mag out of state because I say “I need a magazine for a (insert model)”

I don’t even have problems buying ammo with my CA license here in AZ for proof of age.

Unless you give yourself away and say California only terms, you should have zero problems buying any firearm related accessories in another state.

My advise is also buy it coming into the state and not when returning
Old 04-30-2019, 1:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So here is a crazy thought...

Take your 10 round magazines and use them in the 10 round capacity. The reason being is that in CA where you live that is what you will have to use (for now) when using your firearm.

Using standard capacity magazines will reduce your mag load effort but won't allow you to train as you would fight.

I've run both standard capacity and nuertered magazines at Front Sight and it's not that big of a difference between them.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." - Josef Stalin
Old 04-30-2019, 3:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoduc View Post
So here is a crazy thought...

Take your 10 round magazines and use them in the 10 round capacity. The reason being is that in CA where you live that is what you will have to use (for now) when using your firearm.

Using standard capacity magazines will reduce your mag load effort but won't allow you to train as you would fight.

I've run both standard capacity and nuertered magazines at Front Sight and it's not that big of a difference between them.
What? Why wouldnt i use the legally bought and owned 30 rounders?

Why would i “have” to use 10 rounders? Hell, i dont even own 10 rounders for many of my firearms.
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-30-2019, 3:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post

Why would i “have” to use 10 rounders? Hell, i dont even own 10 rounders for many of my firearms.
Well I was referring to us lowly people who have to use the magazines CA deems acceptable and safe for us to use...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." - Josef Stalin
Old 04-30-2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
My advice is leave them here, take 10s, and source 15s there, then leave them, sell them, gift them.
I'm pretty sure he meant while he was over there, Because of the situation, as everyone said, He can't bring them back after.
Old 04-30-2019, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoduc View Post
Well I was referring to us lowly people who have to use the magazines CA deems acceptable and safe for us to use...
I live in CA, too, and have since 1990.

I have legally bought mags from then and from freedom week.

All are legsl to own and use.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-30-2019, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

It's difficult to appendix carry my 30 rounder without printing, but the ladies are suitably impressed. Problem is some guys are impressed too.
IF WE EVER FORGET WE ARE ONE NATION UNDER GOD.
THEN WE WILL BE A NATION GONE UNDER.
Ronald Reagan

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 04-30-2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
It's difficult to appendix carry my 30 rounder without printing, but the ladies are suitably impressed. Problem is some guys are impressed too.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Starting 07-01-2017, the exemption [PC 32420] to CA large capacity magazines laws that allowed a person who legally owned/possess large capacity magazines to leave CA with those magazines and return to CA with those magazines was repealed.

The initial Court ordered injuction issued on 06-30-2017, did not bring this exemption back.

The recent Court ordered stay that went into effect on 04-05-2019, did not bring this exemption back.

Therefore...

It is CA legal for a person that legally owns/possess large capacity magazines to leave CA with those magazines, but CA illegal for that person to return to CA with those magazines (felony importation).

AFAIK...
The intent for the repeal was to reduce the amount of lawfully owned/possessed large capacity magazines in CA.
It makes it so a person can legally leave CA with large capacity magazines, but can not legally return with those magazines.
The magazines had to be stored out-of-state or transferred out-of-state or made into permanently modified 10 round magazines prior to returning to CA.

Penal Code 32420 THIS WAS REPEALED EFFECTIVE 07-01-2017.
Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the same large-capacity magazine.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The application of a criminal statute that is void for vagueness cannot be constitutionally applied. To permit a party who legally possesses a magazine in the state, takes it out of state, and returns with it to be prosecuted as an importer is an instance where the application of 32310 is vague as applied. Were it a civil statute, it may be fair to resort to delving into the intent of the law makers, but not so for a criminal statute. The accused could very well assume, from the reading of the statute, that import meant to bring in a magazine acquired from out of the state, but not one legally owned and taken out of state then back.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.