Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2018, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation ANYONE apply and get denied or issued an Imperial Co Sheriff Office CCW???

If so, please make a post about your experience, including a rough idea of your Good Cause statement (but not so much info as to identify yourself), at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352754

We are painfully lacking info on their GC policy and issuance practice.

Thx!

ETA: I'm one of the guys involved with making the CA CCW GC map (below).

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 12-07-2018, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

When did it change from dark red to light red?

With Bianco in Riverside, will that be projected dark green in Jan 2019?
Old 12-07-2018, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
When did it change from dark red to light red?
Imperial is one of those low population counties where people rarely post re. either getting issued or denied. Dark red is so anti, I felt that without recent data, we should change it to light red (still highly restrictive, but they do issue consistent with their GC standard). IOW, "few" people can get CCWs in light red counties vs. "virtually none" in dark red.

Here's the main Imperial Co CCW Info thread. Since 2010, NO ONE has posted saying that they've applied and either been issued or denied.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352754

This thread is to encourage people in Imperial who have tried to let us know how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
With Bianco in Riverside, will that be projected dark green in Jan 2019?
Yes, after he takes office in January.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-07-2018 at 6:29 PM..
Old 02-18-2019, 6:40 PM

From what I understand Imperial County is one of the counties where a recommendation from a law enforcement officer will help your case.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Is there even any active posting CGNers from the Imperial Valley? There's hardly even any gun stores there besides a Big 5.
Old 02-19-2019, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross239 View Post
From what I understand Imperial County is one of the counties where a recommendation from a law enforcement officer will help your case.
A recommendation from a law enforcement officer is actually required, not recommended. From the Imperial County Sheriff's Office, the following are needed to submit a CCW application:
  • One (1) Character Reference Letter must be obtained from an active Peace Officer who resides and works within the Imperial County (California Highway Patrol, Imperial County Sheriff’s Office Deputy, Imperial County District Attorney Investigator, Police Officer ONLY. Reference letters are not accepted from the following Agencies: U.S. Customs, U.S. Border Patrol or California Department of Corrections).
  • Two (2) Character reference letters from individuals, other than relatives, who reside in the Imperial County.

That said, I have known people who have gotten a CCW from the Imperial County Sherrif's Office, so it's not impossible, but it does seem to be beyond the reach of an average person.
Old 02-20-2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ View Post
A recommendation from a law enforcement officer is actually required, not recommended. From the Imperial County Sheriff's Office, the following are needed to submit a CCW application:
  • One (1) Character Reference Letter must be obtained from an active Peace Officer who resides and works within the Imperial County (California Highway Patrol, Imperial County Sheriff’s Office Deputy, Imperial County District Attorney Investigator, Police Officer ONLY. Reference letters are not accepted from the following Agencies: U.S. Customs, U.S. Border Patrol or California Department of Corrections).
  • Two (2) Character reference letters from individuals, other than relatives, who reside in the Imperial County.
Is this not a clear violation of state law.? It is my understanding that while the Sheriff may have complete discretion to determine his standard for good cause and perhaps good moral character, he may not require anything other than the documents and processes outlined in the state law on the subject.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 AM

I have CCW from Imperial County, there are actually quite a few people who have them, but usually there has to be some extenuating circumstance. They do require a recommendation from an LEO, so if you don't know any you're screwed. I would say Imperial might be a yellow county.

the question here is not whether the carrying of arms is a good idea—the question is
whether carrying arms is constitutionally protected. Objective standards and due process—not
Defendants’ philosophy or personal beliefs about the value of this activity—must carry the day-Alan Gura
Old 04-06-2019, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Those "character reference letters" are to help establish GMC, not GC. The map is a CA CCW GC map, not GMC. Thus having an unreasonably difficult GMC requirement (letter from a local LEO approving of your character to CCW), should not be a factor.

Quote:
That said, I have known people who have gotten a CCW from the Imperial County Sherrif's Office, so it's not impossible, but it does seem to be beyond the reach of an average person.
Do you know what their GCs were like? If so, what color do you think Imperial Co should be on the map? Can you make a post giving us an idea of those people's GC (but not with so much detail as to ID them), in the Imperial Co CCW Info thread at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352754 Or can you get them to make their own posts about this?

That will help us make sure the CA CCW GC map's color is accurate, encouraging folks who could get issued to apply and discouraging folks who can't get issued from wasting their time, money and effort.

Also, if you have any ideas/insights in how they got to know a LEO well enough to get a GMC letter of recommendation, posting that as well will help other law-abiding CGNers get Imperial Co SO CCWs too.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-06-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Old 04-06-2019, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Same questions/requests for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.Allen View Post
I have CCW from Imperial County, there are actually quite a few people who have them, but usually there has to be some extenuating circumstance.
Could you give us a rough idea of your & their GCs, but not so much detail as to ID yourself/them, in the Imperial Co CCW Info thread? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352754 Or could you get them to make their own posts about their own application experiences?

Do those "extenuating circumstances" have to be work/employment related or do hobby/leisure activities qualify too? (hiking, backpacking, off road biking/motorcycling, hunting, etc)

Quote:
They do require a recommendation from an LEO, so if you don't know any you're screwed.
Again, any tips on where to meet local LEOs and get to know them well enough to get a letter of recommendation? (local ranges? local IDPA or IPSC-USPDA clubs?)

Quote:
I would say Imperial might be a yellow county.
Thanks.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-06-2019 at 11:57 AM..