Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Default San Mateo County bans Serpa Holsters

Was qualifying today and Range Staff told us:
  1. Neither SMSO staff nor civilians can qual with a Serpa
  2. You cannot qual without a holster

A couple deputies I checked with have NOT heard this, and depending on the range staff when you qual, they may let you qual with one gun shooting from low ready if you only have a Serpa for it. However, chances are that they won't let you qual with more than one firearm without a holster.

This follows LA PD's 2017 ban and a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center study which makes the same recommendation.

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!

Last edited by ronlglock; 11-18-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 11-19-2018, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Was qualifying today and Range Staff told us:
  1. Neither SMSO staff nor civilians can qual with a Serpa
  2. You cannot qual without a holster

A couple deputies I checked with have NOT heard this, and depending on the range staff when you qual, they may let you qual with one gun shooting from low ready if you only have a Serpa for it. However, chances are that they won't let you qual with more than one firearm without a holster.

This follows LA PD's 2017 ban and a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center study which makes the same recommendation.
Good Info

Holsters are inexpensive, and a good one will be useful if you start participating in shoot sports such as IDPA, USPSA, IPSC or just classes to improve your skills.

If your looking for a holster and have a range or different guns, my recommendation is the Compact Stealth Operator Holster. Works superbly with more than 150 different guns.

Unless your going to carry OWB or are in a law enforcement or parole officer capacity there isn't a real need for level 2 retention. Of course there are exception and what makes you feel more comfortable, but I don't know of any organization that wants to see a Serpa walk to the line. If you really want level 2 retention I suggest the Safariland ALS series.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

So is this a total ban or is this really just a range/qual ban?

After qualifying, can you then go home and daily carry in a Serpa or do they have it further defined somewhere that you literally can't carry at all in a Serpa in the county?

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-19-2018, 8:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lots of people shoot themselves while drawing and reholstering

The serpa got banned from many gun schools as the drawstroke encourages the finger to slip into the trigger guard at count 2 and an ND to occur

Pressing the release with a flat trigger finger is a real issue.

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-19-2018, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh - the serpa is also know to get grit behind the mechanism and prevent release.

if you end up on the ground rolling around... or are in a sandy environment needing your gun but the mechanism is jammed, that can be fatal

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-20-2018, 7:22 AM

I know several places that do not allow the Gen I Serpa holsters, but the new Gen II where the button is moved are allowed.
Old 11-20-2018, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ultimately there are so many better holsters than the Serpa, there is little reason to consider using one.