Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 AM

Default problem with my Marlin 795

My first gun purchase was a Marlin 795 in 2012. I use it at the range at least once every couple of months. Recently I have found that I would have periodic misfires. I would pull the trigger and no "bang". I would eject the round and see a punch mark on the end of the end of the cartridge from the firing pin.

Last week I took it to the range and I had 7 misfires out of 10. I have found that when I took these misfired rounds and put them into an old Harrington Richardson bolt action 22lr, the H&R would fire them.

My question is does the firing pin on a Marlin 795 wear down or is there a spring weakening??
Old 08-26-2017, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Update on scout scope efforts. I was about to email someone to see if they'd make me a rail when I was searching for example products to get the point across. When I was doing this I came across the "dovetail short rail" linked here:

http://mod94scoperail.com/purchase.html

I'll be getting it Monday. Already have the scope.

Last edited by Relativist; 08-26-2017 at 11:29 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 8:51 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxmasonrya View Post
My first gun purchase was a Marlin 795 in 2012. I use it at the range at least once every couple of months. Recently I have found that I would have periodic misfires. I would pull the trigger and no "bang". I would eject the round and see a punch mark on the end of the end of the cartridge from the firing pin.

Last week I took it to the range and I had 7 misfires out of 10. I have found that when I took these misfired rounds and put them into an old Harrington Richardson bolt action 22lr, the H&R would fire them.

My question is does the firing pin on a Marlin 795 wear down or is there a spring weakening??
Also, check your chamber to see if the firing pin has peened the edge of the chamber, this can cause seating/misfire/extraction issues on .22lrs. There is a "chamber" iron tool that works nicely to remove any divot if one develops.
Old 09-03-2017, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
After having my 795 for 4 years scoped and with stock irons I bought some tech sights. Come to find out the front sight is canted. Probably far enough out of warranty not to be able to get it fixed...... Bummed
I havent read in this thread for at least 2 years and was catching up and saw this post.

In my experience, all mfrs have a spoken or unspoken lifetime warranty on guns and I have always had great results when I needed something very long after the supposed warranty. I never paid for anything. They like to see the gun and situation, dont try to resolve it on the phone, just send it and I think you would be very pleased at the result.
Old 09-09-2017, 2:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
Update on scout scope efforts. I was about to email someone to see if they'd make me a rail when I was searching for example products to get the point across. When I was doing this I came across the "dovetail short rail" linked here:

http://mod94scoperail.com/purchase.html

I'll be getting it Monday. Already have the scope.
So last night I was able to install the rail and complete the DIP charging handle installation.

The DIP charging handle did require some filling, which only took a couple of minutes. Also it's fitment seems to be tighter tolerance than the factory handle which I like, once everything got into place it seemed very solid. I really like the look and feel over the factory handle.

For the scout scope rail, it was a straight forward matter of tapping out the rear sight dovetail and tapping in the provided dovetail. The provided instructions were easy to follow. This is the scope I purchased for this rifle:

https://aimsportsinc.com/optics/scou...r-reticle.html

Luckily it comes with scope mounts that have open space for a sight. I am able to barely see the top of the tech sight front post through the peep sight with the scope mounted. I'll likely try some scope mounts that are see through if I decide not to lower the scope mounting further.

IMG_1725.jpg

Last edited by Relativist; 09-12-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Still did not get a chance to go to the range, but I did get a few more pictures.

IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg
Old 09-13-2017, 4:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
I havent read in this thread for at least 2 years and was catching up and saw this post.

In my experience, all mfrs have a spoken or unspoken lifetime warranty on guns and I have always had great results when I needed something very long after the supposed warranty. I never paid for anything. They like to see the gun and situation, dont try to resolve it on the phone, just send it and I think you would be very pleased at the result.
I ended up emailing them, they told me I would have to send it to them on my own dime and if they deemed it to be warrantable they would repair and send it back. They also said, if it was not warrantable they would quote me on the cost of repair. The gun is out of warranty and would not answer my question of whether or not there is an extended warranty that I am not awarenof.

So basically, I have to send the gun in at my own expense and if it's not covered, pay for the repairs. All on a 120 dollar gun. So I will throw it in the back of the safe and buy a Ruger. I will no longer spend my money on Marlin rifles.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
So last night I was able to install the rail and complete the DIP charging handle installation.

The DIP charging handle did require some filling, which only took a couple of minutes. Also it's fitment seems to be tighter tolerance than the factory handle which I like, once everything got into place it seemed very solid. I really like the look and feel over the factory handle.

For the scout scope rail, it was a straight forward matter of tapping out the rear sight dovetail and tapping in the provided dovetail. The provided instructions were easy to follow. This is the scope I purchased for this rifle:

https://aimsportsinc.com/optics/scou...r-reticle.html

Luckily it comes with scope mounts that have open space for a sight. I am able to barely see the top of the tech sight front post through the peep sight with the scope mounted. I'll likely try some scope mounts that are see through if I decide not to lower the scope mounting further.

Attachment 638677
Range Report:

Once I cinched everything down (scope rings were not tight enough initially), I started to get things dialed in. I do really like using the scout scope. From what I can tell groups were tighter than using the peep sights (expected). They also seemed consistent. At this point, the rail seems to fulfill my need for a scout scope mount on the Marlin 795.
Old 10-13-2017, 6:06 PM
Banned

Attachment 648106

Reposting this since the pics went missing

Boyds Hunter
MCARBO springs
DIP trigger and guard
Tech Site front
Williams WGRS 54 rear site.

Last edited by beardog308; 02-10-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Old 11-11-2017, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardog308 View Post
Attachment 648106

Reposting this since the pics went missing

Boyds Hunter
MCARBO springs
DIP trigger and guard
Tech Site front
Williams WGRS 54 rear site.
Very nice. When the time comes, this^^
Old 05-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought my 795 when my kids were young, they learned how to shoot a rifle with it. My daughter just finished her second year of college and is home for the summer. We went shooting a couple days ago and the Marlin went with us, she still loves that rifle and it still shots great after all these years. It now sports a bipod and cheap Simmons 3x9 optic and easily shoots quarter sized groups.
Old 09-25-2018, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Has anyone threaded the barrel on his Marlin 795? Who did it and may I ask how much did it cost? I see that Tornado Technologies does it for $129, but that is almost the cost of a new rifle.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
I ended up emailing them, they told me I would have to send it to them on my own dime and if they deemed it to be warrantable they would repair and send it back. They also said, if it was not warrantable they would quote me on the cost of repair. The gun is out of warranty and would not answer my question of whether or not there is an extended warranty that I am not awarenof.

So basically, I have to send the gun in at my own expense and if it's not covered, pay for the repairs. All on a 120 dollar gun. So I will throw it in the back of the safe and buy a Ruger. I will no longer spend my money on Marlin rifles.
Ye of so little faith!
I told you right and so did they. Yes, you send it, pay the shipping and maybe even pay the return shipping too. So what? What they are looking for is abuse on your part, and even then no guarantee they wont fix it for free. But a canted sight is clearly a barrel that needs to be indexed and thats among the myriad repairs done automatically for FREE. Out of the box, my Marlin 336 had a canted sight and they quickly fixed it FREE. Of course free.

Ok, whats it worth with a canted sight? I'll buy it from you for that discounted value and take my chances at Marlin. Do we have a deal?
Old 03-31-2022, 4:39 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Marlin 795 DIProducts Inc trigger guard group installation instructions
by ARFrog
Old 03-31-2022, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Anybody sell their 795 a few years ago for a small profit, and regret it because now they're selling for three times the price?
Just me?
Old 08-12-2022, 6:34 PM

If you got an old *** Marlin 795, give that buffer an inspecting.
Took my 15+ year old rifle to the range the other week and after a few mags the recoil buffer disintegrated.
Instead of buying the same style/looking buffer off Midway and hoping it didn't dry out and fall apart in the future, I gave this 3D printed two pack a chance.

https://zephyrsmarket.com/search?type=product&q=marlin

Today I put 350 rounds through the rifle without any problems and when I checked out the buffer during cleaning it still looked brand spanking new.
Highly recommend.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good info on a buffer option since parts for the 795 are scarce.
Old 04-21-2023, 6:19 PM

Bought that ProMag folding stock from Tombstone Tactical for $50, Brownells also had it for $55 but wanted $22 shipping not including tax.
pffffft

Had to do a bit of filing inside the stock and trigger guard to get the bolt and magazine release to fit but nothing crazy.
Pretty happy with it so far after hitting the range.

before

after

size comparison
Old 10-09-2023, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey all,

I figured I'd contribute to this thread. I have a 795 I bought some years back that I used for Appleseed (I shot Rifleman my second time out and am now an orange hat instructor).

This one had the upgraded trigger guard and 6 mags when I bought it. I initially ran it with Tech Sights and added the Mcarbo trigger kit (big improvement).

Recently, I had my local gunsmith drill and tap for a rail and had him thread the barrel and relocate the front sight screw hole. I am experimenting with an Athlon LPVO and am running a SilencerCo Warlock with Federal American Eagle Suppressor ammo. I added the cheek riser myself.

I have had eye relief problems with the LPVO, currently with the scope as far forward as it can go and with the slip-on buttpad it is acceptable. I may pick up a cheap Simmons 3-9 or something like that and swap it out to see if it works better.

The suppressor plus the subsonic ammo so far has cycled fine through a couple hundred rounds. It is hearing safe, it sounds like a BB gun. Accuracy is only so-so at 25 meters, I will keep shooting and see if it tightens up at all.

The sling is a Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff sling. It is the bees knees when it comes to Appleseed shoots, both my wife and I use them and it is light-years better than a GI sling.

https://tacticalintervention.com/Qui...ing-p132574075

Edit: Man it is butt ugly with that buttpad on it. I need to experiment with a different scope

Last edited by Bainter1212; 10-09-2023 at 2:54 PM..
Old 10-09-2023, 5:59 PM

Is that a Matthews check rest and if so how do you like it?

I remember my first Appleseed with a scoped Marlin 795 and having to do a quick over night addition of a piece of pool floaty cut in half and wrapped in horse wrap. Talk about butt ugly. LOL.

ARFrog
Old 11-18-2023, 5:38 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Just pulled a 795 out after storage of 10 years. Gonna clean it and put it in the marketplace.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery