Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 03-04-2018, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Default Savage accurace or my sucking

Hey all,

So been out twice with the new Savage Ashbury. Been using B27's in the normal large size. Seems I' am not able to get her zeroed or to be consistent at any yardage from 50-100 yards. I might be off a little might be off a few inches. Went ahead and ordered the Caldwell Comp. rest to make sure it's not me. Action screws are tight scope screws are tight and scope was installed by smith. Also have used 4 different ammo's 2 boxes of each. 180 power shock, Federal gold 175, some of the 150 tula, and some PPUM80. Scopes the Zeiss HD 5-25. Included the first shot to show shooting style pretty consistent in my shooting waiting for breath to even out firing at almost the end of a nice smooth exhale. I know I' am going to get the same answers thought I would just throw it out there. The rifle was checked by a smith when I got it.

1. get a $5000 scope.
2. Try different ammo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85zcqJXTBJk

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 03-04-2018, 9:51 AM

Post the groups.
Old 03-04-2018, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

None of the ammo you listed is considered even half decent with the exception of the FGMM 175gr.

Need to remember that when switching ammunition, your POI will change for each type.

Another thing, why are you wasting ammo if you haven't even zeroed your setup?

Set your rifle in a stable position using bags, rest, bipod, etc. and position your rifle facing your intended target.

Remove your bolt.

Look down the bore and slightly adjust your rifle until you see your target; I like to use something on the target as a reference point IE the number on the target or something.

Adjust the reticle on your scope until it is centered at the same target.

Look down your bore again to ensure your rifle hasn't moved much, and re-adjust if needed.

Go back to your scope one more time and adjust if needed.

Now that your barrel and reticle are basically aimed at the same target, go ahead and fire.

You'll be on paper, first shot, guaranteed. Once you've fired your shot, go ahead and perform a small adjustment to get where you need to be and fire again. By the second or third shot, you should be zeroed.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Default meh

Didn't keep em but they weren't really super consistent at all for a savage ashbury with a zeiss. Gonna look up the manual can't find mine I was shooting at about 11 power. Wouldn't think max power would matter much but maybe it's required to zero. Next time I go out I'll shoot 3-5 shot groups and mark them. I shot 5 shot strings and didn't shoot super fast but didn't let her cool down between groups too much. I was aiming same point of aim for each group...say kidney one group, head another group. I was able to shoot head shots and 100 pretty consistently but that's about it. hopefully the rest will take out the human factor. Anyone near Lincolns dillman on Thursdays?

George Orwell

Old 03-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

One thing I forgot to mention, the above is just to get your rifle zeroed.

After that, you need to deploy the basics such as a natural point of aim, proper breathing, and most importantly, trigger control.

If after all this you feel your rifle isn't doing what it's supposed to, take a step back and let someone else try your rifle.

Worst thing you can do is get frustrated and continue throwing lead down range.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Didn't keep em but they weren't really super consistent at all for a savage ashbury with a zeiss. Gonna look up the manual can't find mine I was shooting at about 11 power. Wouldn't think max power would matter much but maybe it's required to zero. Next time I go out I'll shoot 3-5 shot groups and mark them. I shot 5 shot strings and didn't shoot super fast but didn't let her cool down between groups too much. I was aiming same point of aim for each group...say kidney one group, head another group. I was able to shoot head shots and 100 pretty consistently but that's about it. hopefully the rest will take out the human factor. Anyone near Lincolns dillman on Thursdays?
If shooting for groups, you need a different type of target.

Download and print these - http://accurateshooter.net/targets/targetaccshooter.pdf
Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So been out twice with the new Savage Ashbury.
Seems I' am not able to get her zeroed or to be consistent at any yardage from 50-100 yards.
I might be off a little might be off a few inches.

Included the first shot to show shooting style pretty consistent in my shooting waiting for breath to even out firing at almost the end of a nice smooth exhale.

A few inches is all that can be expected with your shooting position.
If you want tighter groups and the ability to hit close to the same spot with each shot, you need to be supporting the gun from the bench or ground, not holding it up with most of your body.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
A few inches is all that can be expected with your shooting position.
If you want tighter groups and the ability to hit close to the same spot with each shot, you need to be supporting the gun from the bench or ground, not holding it up with most of your body.
Got a rest and rear bag otw. As for ammo there's a .1 difference between the powershok and the gold at 100 yards so. As for "shooting for groups" not looking to button hole everything just seems it should be a little more consistent and 100 yards even with my crappy position then again /shrug. I'll post some 3 shot groups once I get the rest.

No One near Lincoln available on Thursdays who wants to shoot with me would be nice to bring your own also.

George Orwell

Old 03-04-2018, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

If your shooting in Lincoln and you live in Sacramento see if Dangerous Bob Dorton will shoot it for you. He wears bib overalls and is usually shooting at both locations 6 days a week oftentimes more.
The front rest is okay as long as the barrel never touches it but you can't hold up the rear of the gun and expect it to shoot.
To find Bob ask someone at the clubhouse where he is and they will point you in the right direction.
Leave your scope at 25 power for 100 yards.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 03-04-2018, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As for "shooting for groups" not looking to button hole everything just seems it should be a little more consistent and 100 yards even with my crappy position then again /shrug.
Your shooting position in the video would typically increase the group size by around 2-4 moa over what the same ammo would do from a proper rested position.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-04-2018, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Looking at the video, it looks to like you are slapping the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 03-04-2018, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Default thanks

Appreciate some of the feedback.. As I said not looking to button hole just get tighter groups as for my shooting position I been using it for years as have many others and I should be able to hit a tangerine size white dot at 100 yards consistently you would think. My B27's are the blue anatomical ones. I get my rest tomorrow and will take it out Thursday to Lincoln hopefully it's just me. as for slapping the trigger not sure where u see that it's a steady squeeze.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B27-IMZ-Lif...2Infg#shpCntId

George Orwell

Old 03-05-2018, 5:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Appreciate some of the feedback.. As I said not looking to button hole just get tighter groups as for my shooting position I been using it for years as have many others and I should be able to hit a tangerine size white dot at 100 yards consistently you would think. My B27's are the blue anatomical ones. I get my rest tomorrow and will take it out Thursday to Lincoln hopefully it's just me. as for slapping the trigger not sure where u see that it's a steady squeeze.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B27-IMZ-Lif...2Infg#shpCntId
Maybe the release of the trigger, just don't be in a hurry to move after the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 03-05-2018, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
Looking at the video, it looks to like you are slapping the trigger.

yep that is a grade A trigger slap for sure add that to the poor position, no bipod to preload and help control recoil. It all adds up in the end.
Old 03-05-2018, 7:56 AM

Have adjusted your parallax on the scope?
Old 03-05-2018, 7:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey all,

1. get a $5000 scope.
2. Try different ammo
3. Learn how to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85zcqJXTBJk
I'm not trying to be harsh or a jerk. but you have some basics down, but you also have some basic missing all together.

You need to build your position better, better support front and rear. You have a death grip on the weapon and you are trying to push your face through the stock. Lighten the grip and just rest your cheek on the stock. Length of pull looks off as well as it looks like you have way to much finger on the trigger, not to mention the slap. Triggers are to be pressed not pulled, jerked, slapped, etc...
Old 03-05-2018, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

So I got the rest and the bag. It sucks having the funky CTR stock but I will have to make it work. Hopefully this will help settle her down and I will use the same ammo the entire session the next time I go out. I have adjusted the parallax and don't worry we all sound like tools when we give advice lol. I can play around with LoP and fundamentals. Thanks for the advice it's all appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

George Orwell

Last edited by negolien; 03-05-2018 at 4:01 PM..
Old 03-05-2018, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So I got the rest and the bag. It sucks having the funky CTR stock but I will have to make it work. Hopefully this will help settle her down and I will use the same ammo the entire session the next time I go out. I have adjusted the parallax and don't worry we all sound like tools when we give advice lol. I can play around with LoP and fundamentals. Thanks for the advice it's all appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]
You should do that every time for every range you shoot. it's not a one and done deal.
Old 03-07-2018, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Make sure nothing on the bottom of the forend catches on the front bag or you will get vertical stringing.
A small flat on the bottom of the buttstock that will allow the gun to recoil straight back will help as well.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 03-16-2018, 6:18 PM

i shoot in the position all the time at the 100yd range here and can manage 1/2 MOA groups. That trigger pull needs work though.

Last edited by broadside; 03-16-2018 at 6:56 PM..