Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 02-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Default what is considered long distance

What is the average for long distance, or better yet what do you consider long distance?

I shoot a few times a month (3 or 4) and will usually set up 3 or four targets (8" and 10" steel.... occasionally paper) from 650 to about 1200. For the most part I go alone or with a co worker that shoots, occasionally I meet people where I'm at and share/shoot with them.. I always have a great time but looking at some people shooting one or two miles I find myself wondering where the line is....

Last edited by justjosh; 02-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: clarified the question
Old 02-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Consistent hits on 8" at 1200 is no small feat. NRA highpower for 1k is 44" target.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Based on NRA full bore competition rules. Midrange is 600 yards and less. Long range is 800 To 1000 yards

Guys shooting a mile is Extreme Long Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 02-22-2018, 11:44 AM

thank you for the reply,
Rules aside, what do you personally consider long?

I'm just a regular guy with a budget so for me to shoot a mile it would be more luck than anything as I am using very little tech to help (specifically I just use the ballistics arc app), past 1000 I generally need 3 to 5 shots to walk it in depending on the wind but once in i can keep it going well past that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Based on NRA full bore competition rules. Midrange is 600 yards and less. Long range is 800 To 1000 yards

Guys shooting a mile is Extreme Long Range.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM

Monday I went 8 out of 20 at 1080 yds on a 10" plate, had i been shooting at a 44" i probably would have hit 18 out of 20. I had to hold over 16 moa for wind and it was gusting so bad I was all over the place... if my math is right (probably isn't) that is about 27 mph winds, it was 28 degrees and snowing a little, conditions were not anywhere near ideal but still felt somewhat accomplished as I am a noob at best.

At 650 (closest target) results were much better, mid range was 915 yds results varied.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
Consistent hits on 8" at 1200 is no small feat. NRA highpower for 1k is 44" target.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjosh View Post
Monday I went 8 out of 20 at 1080 yds on a 10" plate, had i been shooting at a 44" i probably would have hit 18 out of 20. I had to hold over 16 moa for wind and it was gusting so bad I was all over the place... if my math is right (probably isn't) that is about 27 mph winds, it was 28 degrees and snowing a little, conditions were not anywhere near ideal but still felt somewhat accomplished as I am a noob at best.

At 650 (closest target) results were much better, mid range was 915 yds results varied.....
That's not bad at all. I don't recall exact size of x ring but it's about 6". You need to get a tapered scope base with more elevation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
thank you for the reply,
Rules aside, what do you personally consider long?

I'm just a regular guy with a budget so for me to shoot a mile it would be more luck than anything as I am using very little tech to help (specifically I just use the ballistics arc app), past 1000 I generally need 3 to 5 shots to walk it in depending on the wind but once in i can keep it going well past that.

Personally long range dont start till 1000 yards. The limit on my 308 is 1275 meters, the 408 I built... well were still looking for the limit on that one

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:33 PM

I'm sorry I miss spoke, hold left was 16 moa, elevation was spot on at 33.5 moa. I have a tapered base and still had a way to go on elevation before I maxed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
That's not bad at all. I don't recall exact size of x ring but it's about 6". You need to get a tapered scope base with more elevation.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM

That's really what I was looking to hear.

I suggested setting a target at 1500 or 1850 (where we shoot this is easily feasible) to a guy I shoot regularly with and all the responses were "no way that is way to far" or "maybe with a different riffle" among others, I felt like a kid my response was always why... I agree that is a crazy long way but I think my willingness is a direct reflection of my lack of understanding so in this situation I am, to an extent, blissfully ignorant and will most likely just send it

Quote:
Personally long range dont start till 1000 yards. The limit on my 308 is 1275 meters, the 408 I built... well were still looking for the limit on that one
Old 02-22-2018, 3:04 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's really what I was looking to hear.

I suggested setting a target at 1500 or 1850 (where we shoot this is easily feasible) to a guy I shoot regularly with and all the responses were "no way that is way to far" or "maybe with a different riffle" among others, I felt like a kid my response was always why... I agree that is a crazy long way but I think my willingness is a direct reflection of my lack of understanding so in this situation I am, to an extent, blissfully ignorant and will most likely just send it
Well it depends on the cartridge. My 308 yeah Id be wasting rounds. 1500 though for the high BC 6 or 6.5 bullets would get to 2200 meters no problem.

So yeah push it.
Btw that 44 target is our 7 ring at 1000 yards F Class 8 ring is 30, 9 ring is 20, 10 ring is 10, X ring is 5
To be minimally competitive you need to shoot a 9 ring average. That a score of 180 and is barely marksman level our clubs high master match winners shoot 196 scores consistently

Quote:
Old 02-22-2018, 3:27 PM

6.5CM

I think i will be picking up a 20" plate shortly, i haven't really had a need for it up to this point.

I need to get out and watch a match at some point and get a better understanding, i didn't know what F class was until about a week ago.

Quote:
Well it depends on the cartridge. My 308 yeah Id be wasting rounds. 1500 though for the high BC 6 or 6.5 bullets would get to 2200 meters no problem.

So yeah push it.
Btw that 44 target is our 7 ring at 1000 yards F Class 8 ring is 30, 9 ring is 20, 10 ring is 10, X ring is 5
To be minimally competitive you need to shoot a 9 ring average. That a score of 180 and is barely marksman level our clubs high master match winners shoot 196 scores consistently
Old 02-22-2018, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I agree long-range starts at 1000+ yards.
At last week's URSA match Lisa got a hit at 2080 yards with her 223. Most of The cartridges are capable of connecting at silly long distances.
The Achilles heel is seeing your misses so you can walk the shots in and scopes with enough elevation so you don't have to hold over.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 02-23-2018, 3:10 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
6.5CM

I think i will be picking up a 20" plate shortly, i haven't really had a need for it up to this point.

I need to get out and watch a match at some point and get a better understanding, i didn't know what F class was until about a week ago.
There were some claims made by Frank Gali the owner of snipers hide that the 6.5 cm with a 122gr warner flat line bullets it could go 2200 yards before going subsonic.
But like Lynn said if you dont see your miss or have someone spotting for you, its going to be very frustrating to adjust.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2018, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I agree long-range starts at 1000+ yards.
At last week's URSA match Lisa got a hit at 2080 yards with her 223. Most of The cartridges are capable of connecting at silly long distances.
The Achilles heel is seeing your misses so you can walk the shots in and scopes with enough elevation so you don't have to hold over.
That is impressive!
How much drop was that?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbite View Post
How much drop was that?
All of it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 02-25-2018, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbite View Post
That is impressive!
How much drop was that?
I was running the NorCal match so I don't know what her load was but maybe someone from the SoCal match will let us know. She was shooting a 90 grain Sierra but I don't know her velocity
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 02-25-2018 at 3:35 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 6:42 PM

Based on the weather forecast, I went into the match expecting a drop of 141 MOA, but the actual elevation needed was 146 MOA.

Yes, I was shooting a 90 grain Sierra Match King HPBT averaging 2850 fps. The rifle is a Savage Model 12 Varmint Low Profile with a 26 inch barrel, 1:7 twist and over 11,000 rounds fired through it. The resulting wear allowed a COAL of 2.600. That, in turn, permitted additional powder to get this velocity without serious over pressure.

I previously tested this load to 1,200 yards at my local range to confirm that it was still stable at that distance. When I was reasonably successful in hitting a 1 MOA wide target, I decided to try 2,080 yards.
Old 02-26-2018, 6:54 PM

Holy smokes, that's basically mortar fire!

Old 02-26-2018, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Is that 253 feet of drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperGirl223 View Post
Based on the weather forecast, I went into the match expecting a drop of 141 MOA, but the actual elevation needed was 146 MOA.

Yes, I was shooting a 90 grain Sierra Match King HPBT averaging 2850 fps. The rifle is a Savage Model 12 Varmint Low Profile with a 26 inch barrel, 1:7 twist and over 11,000 rounds fired through it. The resulting wear allowed a COAL of 2.600. That, in turn, permitted additional powder to get this velocity without serious over pressure.

I previously tested this load to 1,200 yards at my local range to confirm that it was still stable at that distance. When I was reasonably successful in hitting a 1 MOA wide target, I decided to try 2,080 yards.
Old 02-26-2018, 9:00 PM

For me long distance is 500 yards or more. Based on the actual shooting I've seen, 500 yards is where reality sets in and bravado dissipates.

But, I also look at how the shot is done too. For me, and I consider myself a rank amateur, I want first shot hits. Anyone can take a shot with a spotter and then correct based on where the first, second or third round hits. But can you hit that 1,200 yard 18"w x 24"t target, with a 1/4 value 8-12MPH variable wind, on the first shot?

I once hit a 1,250 yard target on the first attempt. I stress ONCE. But I'm new to this game and still feeling it out. I have much to learn.

At my local range the longest target is 300 yards. Now that I've had some training beyond 1K, the 300 yard target is child's play.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com