Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 3:30 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
What's the answer on the $5 handling fee?
I'd like to know this too... I'm on DROS right now with third gun from Turners... of the other 7 guns I've purchased from three other dealers, it was always just $25 fee...

I always figured Turners padded the price with $5 "handling fee" for additional profit.
Old 08-23-2011, 3:49 PM

I would really like to get a CZ O/U. "Turner's can get them", but if I order one it will always be a special order and if I don't like it, then I was told I would get charged a restocking fee.

I also was also given a price, but then was told that the actual price would be determined once the shotgun was in the warehouse. ??????

No Turner's stocks CZ shotguns.

A friend purchased a CZ shotgun from Turners and it took over 4 months to get. He was told 3 weeks and the gun was in stock at CZ. I was told 2 weeks.
Old 08-23-2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
I'd like to know this too... I'm on DROS right now with third gun from Turners... of the other 7 guns I've purchased from three other dealers, it was always just $25 fee...

I always figured Turners padded the price with $5 "handling fee" for additional profit.
Yes, I would like to know about the handling fee also. I have asked at the store on the last 8 guns I have paid for but never got a reasonable answer, also, you PM people with the answers to their questions but there are other people waiting for the same answer. I wanted to see a written answer to the question from StichNicklas about why you would not accept C&R + COE to be exempt from the 1 in 30 day wait for handguns. I did not want to clutter up the thread with multiple questions about the same subject.
Old 08-23-2011, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Why does Turners Reseda require a thumb print and ID to purchase ammo?

According to sources, that bill was overturned.
Old 08-23-2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOM1 View Post

AB962 has nothing to do with an LA gunshop requiring a thumbprint and ID to purchase ammo.

Los Angeles has its own ammo purchase recording laws, and they weren't overturned.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-23-2011, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Actually that bill would've affected the state of CA. The city of LA has required this for a while and still do.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.

Last edited by monk; 08-23-2011 at 8:38 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
Yes, I would like to know about the handling fee also. I have asked at the store on the last 8 guns I have paid for but never got a reasonable answer, also, you PM people with the answers to their questions but there are other people waiting for the same answer. I wanted to see a written answer to the question from StichNicklas about why you would not accept C&R + COE to be exempt from the 1 in 30 day wait for handguns. I did not want to clutter up the thread with multiple questions about the same subject.
Me too.

Old 08-24-2011, 3:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
What's the answer on the $5 handling fee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post

Quote:
Yes, I would like to know about the handling fee also. I have asked at the store on the last 8 guns I have paid for but never got a reasonable answer, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee00 View Post
Me too.
We've been discussing this over the last few weeks or so.

Turner's has charged the DROS Dealer Handling ever since the fee was established as a part of the DROS fee structure- at least 25 years ago if not longer. The max fee of $10 is applied to PPT's; all other transactions have had $5 applied.

We're kicking around a few ideas including eliminating this charge completely for Calguns contributors ($) and for frequent buyers (by $ spent or by quantity of transactions or both.) of new guns as well as eliminating them nearly outright for Calgunners on PPT's as well on some basis.

We'll get this put to bed and let everyone know what we're doing shortly.

22 Stores Located throughout California-

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill
Temecula | Torrance | Victorville | West Covina

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-24-2011, 3:48 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ thanks for the response - its good to know you care about our concerns and are kicking around possible solutions...

Doubtful that you'll have it sorted out before my dros is up (this weekend) - but maybe by next purchase

Maybe a $5 voucher towards same day purchase or something?...
Old 08-24-2011, 3:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
... also, you PM people with the answers to their questions but there are other people waiting for the same answer. I wanted to see a written answer to the question from StichNicklas about why you would not accept C&R + COE to be exempt from the 1 in 30 day wait for handguns. I did not want to clutter up the thread with multiple questions about the same subject.
We'll cover both of your questions.

Anytime a member has a customer service issue, we'll reach out and contact them directly, first via PM, with the aim of being able to contact them by phone, one-on-one. Calguns is such an awesome place, but in the end we really want to treat folks to some direct attention. Based on feedback from the folks we've tried to help, we think they like the personal contact.

But we also agree that in the case of Mark's C&R issue or on the question on the DROS dealer fee that we may have more than one member- in some cases a lot more - who are interested in the same answer. Keep in mind, that we're a little new to this and we'll make sure that we do both things on this board- solve individual issues and keep Turner's customers at large better informed.

Now to the heart of the C&R issue. We are working with some very good folks (you all know these hard working guys) to get some things cleared up with regards to the exemptions and latitude that is extended to C&R licensees. We hear one thing from one regulatory entity and something a bit different from another. Under the advisement of the folks who are doing some work on this, we won't be commenting further until we hear back from them. But do know that we want to have C&R folks maximize the amount of utility that their license affords them. It's best for them and absolutely it's best for all dealers.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-24-2011, 4:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
AB962 has nothing to do with an LA gunshop requiring a thumbprint and ID to purchase ammo.

Los Angeles has its own ammo purchase recording laws, and they weren't overturned.
Yep, we have few extra requirements with regards to ammo sales in L.A. City.

Chapter V, Article 5, Sec. 55.11 requires the collection of buyer information for ammo sales.

Sec. 55.09 prohibits the sale of ammo for the 7 days prior to the 4th of July and New Year's Day.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-24-2011, 4:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I would really like to get a CZ O/U. "Turner's can get them", but if I order one it will always be a special order and if I don't like it, then I was told I would get charged a restocking fee.

I also was also given a price, but then was told that the actual price would be determined once the shotgun was in the warehouse. ??????

No Turner's stocks CZ shotguns.

A friend purchased a CZ shotgun from Turners and it took over 4 months to get. He was told 3 weeks and the gun was in stock at CZ. I was told 2 weeks.
1) Usually a special order cancellation does incur a cancellation charge. However, we would likely be able to work something out on a CZ. (PM on the way.)

2) The final retail price will be set once we take a deposit- there will not be an increase after you pay for it. (We can discuss that when we talk, too.)

3) We took some recent orders on CZ shotguns, we were told they were on the way, and then we were told that someone (CZ? CZ-USA?) had some issue with missing import stampings and the shipment was turned away at customs. We were able to salvage a few sales by turning to some other sources but it became a nightmare.

We'll PM you and see if we can make this easier than it seems.

Thanks.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!

Last edited by Turner's Outdoorsman; 08-24-2011 at 4:21 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 4:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
Will you be offering the Saiga Rifles?
We are carrying the Saiga's that are imported by Arsenal- rifles and shotguns. Contact your nearest Turner's for details on price and availability; we just got some more inventory in, too!

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-25-2011, 7:06 AM

I was never even told about the 5 dollar fee until I saw it on my receipt when I got home. last week. Not cool Turners. Im thinking you post a turners 5 dollar fee exempt "coupon" on the forum for calguns members.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner's Outdoorsman View Post

Turner's has charged the DROS Dealer Handling ever since the fee was established as a part of the DROS fee structure- at least 25 years ago if not longer. The max fee of $10 is applied to PPT's; all other transactions have had $5 applied.

We're kicking around a few ideas including eliminating this charge completely for Calguns contributors ($) and for frequent buyers (by $ spent or by quantity of transactions or both.) of new guns as well as eliminating them nearly outright for Calgunners on PPT's as well on some basis.

Kick a little quicker. I have purchased 2 handguns, 2 rifles and a shotgun through you guys. Hmm.... Looks like I need a $25 voucher.

Please do let us now. Thanks for your support to CalGunners!!
Old 08-25-2011, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcC View Post
For me, it's not so much the extra $5 cost of the purchase, but the seemingly hidden nature of said fee. (Yes, I know it's not hidden since it's on the receipt and I know that it might be explained to customers in some instances and it was up to me to inquire about if I really cared.)
It is listed on their pricing sheets which I normally see posted in multiple locations around the gun counter.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-25-2011, 3:50 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
It is listed on their pricing sheets which I normally see posted in multiple locations around the gun counter.
If this is true, its FAR from obvious... I go to three different Turners at least 1-3 times per month... never noticed the fee posted.
Old 08-25-2011, 3:57 PM
Made in the USA

They will also try to automatically add a charge for lock (at least they did my last two purchases)

... I always tell them to leave that charge off, ill bring my own lock... yes I know it needs to be 30 days new - that's why I go to Walmart buy the lock, get my gun and return the lock... I suppose I could do that to turners too - somehow that seems like it wouldn't work as easily as it does with Walmart (and there's always something I need from Walmart anyway)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 PM

Default Chino Hills Store

I am in the Chino Hills store quite a lot and never in a shirt and tie. I have NEVER been singled out for negative service in that store. If your perception is that you are being treated negatively...well that is your perception. I have never seen anyone in the Chino Hills store receive anything less than 100% courteous service and as I said, I am in that store every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Neon View Post
I've been to several Turner's stores and I see each location reflects the neighborhood its located in. Another way of putting this is there isn't just one Turner's, there are several and each has its own personality.

The store I visit most often is West Covina; my construction worker clothes fit in there. The Chino Hills store is the closest to where I live, its also not far off the route from my job to my house. Trouble is, if you have a store in Chino Hills and you have to pick between two customers, you will pick the man with a shirt and tie over the man in construction wear. That's why I don't shop at Chino Hills, I don't look like a man with a grand in discretionary income a month. That's why I'll backtrack from the bus stop to visit the West Covina store.

I understand, Turner's is a business and the sales staff have to make the choices that maximize profit. Not all customers are a fit for each store. When I realized that, I felt better. I like the Rancho Cucamonga store, it is nice and large with excellent wares and friendly sales people. Its just a bit of a drive is all.

One thing I would like to see standardized is the pick up procedure after the ten days are up. Most redshirts will read off the firearm's serial number on the DROS papers while both of us check the serial on the gun. I like that. Some redshirts ( maybe one in six ) will check the serials out of my sight and have me take the paperwork to the cashier to release the gun. ( No, the redshirts aren't expendable crew men on Star Trek. Turner's salesmen wear red shirts, managers wear black. )

Uhhh, with me, it doesn't work that way. I check the serials before signing that I've received the firearm. Call me stubborn, I'm glad I have that habit, one time the gun in the box with my name on it didn't have the same serial number as the DROS. The fishing department guy who was helping me didn't understand why its such a big deal. I'm glad the manager did, he got everything squared away.

Another non standard practice is attitudes toward my bringing in an empty case when I'm picking up a gun that comes in a cardboard box. I drive a station wagon and live in a school zone. I need a locked container to legally get the gun to my house. Some redshirts are OK with my bringing my own case; others want me to buy one then and there. Same ratio as checking serial numbers with me present. The one guy who made a big fuss was the one and only tan shirt: I don't know what tan means in the company. ( I think he was a corporate officer, I can't imagine anyone below that level taking the initiative to insult me ) Tan Man "R", you out there? What were you thinking?

Overall, considered as a chain, I like Turner's. Over the years I've bought about fifteen guns from there, more than any other store.

Pluses:

Selection ( especially the black rifles )
Price
Locations ( as in easy to get to, parking capacity, etc )
Don't freak out when the address on my driver's license doesn't match the utility bill and car registration

Minuses:

Uneven procedures
Exclusiveness in customer selection in well to do areas
Reluctance to special order small items like magazines
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Main question How do your words taste? Because you are now eating your words
I bought a few pistols from you and was venturing into ca legal oll receivers. Everytime I'd look at the crap closed bottom ones, Id ask about del-ton and such, before I'd finish every person would cut me off like a cop not knowing his laws, "those are illegal, grey line BS and we don't sell those here and never will." wow look at all those oll, complete none the less with pictures of high cap mags (tho you sell the 10 rd blocked ones.. I hope!!) wow I hope you can admit when you are wrong! Because you guys were for lack of a better word Di*ks and in this algebraic formula * is = to c
Sorry to be blunt, but 4 years ago, and befor obama none the less you would flame me and my basic questions, I was polite respectful and inquiring about a LEGAL product you now seem to carry very heavily. That is all, I will never buy one of your EVIL ILLEGAL BLACK GUNS on the BANNED FIREARM LIST as you would put it!
Good luck now that you came around way after all other respectable shops did.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
Main question How do your words taste? Because you are now eating your words
I bought a few pistols from you and was venturing into ca legal oll receivers. Everytime I'd look at the crap closed bottom ones, Id ask about del-ton and such, before I'd finish every person would cut me off like a cop not knowing his laws, "those are illegal, grey line BS and we don't sell those here and never will." wow look at all those oll, complete none the less with pictures of high cap mags (tho you sell the 10 rd blocked ones.. I hope!!) wow I hope you can admit when you are wrong! Because you guys were for lack of a better word Di*ks and in this algebraic formula * is = to c
Sorry to be blunt, but 4 years ago, and befor obama none the less you would flame me and my basic questions, I was polite respectful and inquiring about a LEGAL product you now seem to carry very heavily. That is all, I will never buy one of your EVIL ILLEGAL BLACK GUNS on the BANNED FIREARM LIST as you would put it!
Good luck now that you came around way after all other respectable shops did.

I cant wait to see what comment spawns.

Last edited by Magnum Johnson; 08-27-2011 at 11:58 PM..
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Johnson View Post
That, combined with a couple of other comments, I'm thinking the only comment will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-28-2011, 5:43 PM

I know you had said that you offer a leo/military discount, but does that also include veterans? I'm looking to buy a few new guns and if you did, that would be amazing!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 6:32 PM

All angry ranting aside, I have bought probably 10 guns from Turners......in the past 4 years I've been living in Socal.

Although the wait can be a bit long sometimes, especially on weekends, the employees at Turners have generally been great. I haven't once been criticized for any question.

Technically, if a person goes around asking a total stranger, albeit a gun store employee, for legal advice, they are the ignorant one, are they not? I mean, I don't ask my local Autozone employee for advice on how to fight a speeding ticket....

It's refreshing to see a larger store chain here in Southern California supporting a California-based firearms forum.

Last edited by Woo; 08-28-2011 at 6:37 PM..
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Johnson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
That, combined with a couple of other comments, I'm thinking the only comment will be
Well, style points aside in that post, (or lacking thereof...), we'll be the first to say that we're generally going to be very conservative in some areas. Keeping 250-300 people gainfully employed and not putting customers in harm's way is a much bigger set of dice to roll than perhaps some people can imagine.

We're not sure if the OP remembers the SKS w/detachable magazine debacle -the ones that the DOJ approved with multiple specific written letters and then recanted- but having our customers getting arrested or having their guns confiscated will cause one to take a more measured approach.

Having an employee arrested -because a local entity felt that it wasn't the size of an actual gun being sold that made a sale illegal or not, it was the "typical" size listed in a catalog-even when the actual gun in the sale was long enough- will do that to you, too.

20/20 hindsight aside, it took a lot of hard work (and some real hard knocks) from the folks who contribute the most to Calguns to determine what limits could be pushed. If it was so obvious and easy upfront, everyone would have been on that page in 2001 not just in 2007 as noted by the OP. And even then, we'd likely be a step or two slower to get rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo View Post

... Technically, if a person goes around asking a total stranger, albeit a gun store employee, for legal advice, they are the ignorant one, are they not? I mean, I don't ask my local Autozone employee for advice on how to fight a speeding ticket....

It's refreshing to see a larger store chain here in Southern California supporting a California-based firearms forum.
As other posters have stated, most dealers make better salespeople than lawyers- not that that's ever stopped anyone from trying- ourselves included . But maybe that's the same human nature that prompts lawyers, doctors, etc. to want to play firearms dealer .

As we stated when we came on board, we'll listen to any feedback, polished or not. (There are limits on unpolished but the best folks here on CGN will take care of that... ) We'll change the things that we think we can or should and we'll be upfront about the things we can't or won't.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Aside from a few procedural oddities (e.g., not getting the original factory lock or other case candy/parts b/c it's not CA approved, having to give my thumbprint when buying ammo, etc.), I've been pretty happy with Turners: great service, selection, and price. I'm on 3 guns and considering numbers 4, 5, and 6 (I'll be heading over to Turners this afternoon for #4, I hope). The only real complaint continues to be the relatively long lines.

Speaking of long lines, went to Turners on Sunday to buy some ammo on the way to the range. Totally packed. Walked right out and paid the higher prices at the range b/c I didn't want to lose 45 mins or more buying ammo.

Maybe some sort of "no questions" line or, even better, call-in or online order with store pickup option, would be VERY helpful in these types of run-in and grab something type of situations (which, currently, isn't really an option b/c of the long wait times).

edit: the thumbprint thing got answered above. Stupid LA.

Last edited by JoeinLA; 08-29-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Well, style points aside in that post, (or lacking thereof...), we'll be the first to say that we're generally going to be very conservative in some areas. Keeping 250-300 people gainfully employed and not putting customers in harm's way is a much bigger set of dice to roll than perhaps some people can imagine.
Kudo's for the polished response. I was one of thos affected by the "We will not sell the Evil Black Rifle" response back in the day. You know what I did? Went with someone who sold it. You lost out on a little business? You know what I did when I needed something else? Came right back in and made a purchase. I do not own a business and therefore cannot determine if selling someone something in a grey area which could potentially cause me and my employees to seek new employment or possibly cause a customer to get arrested would be something I could validate. Because someone determined it was lawful to do so. I know other dealers who sold said items at such time with a considerable markup because they felt it necessary to increase prices due to other locations unwilling to gamble their business on it. We all make mistakes and cannot afford to venture into untested waters. I receive enough good service from Turners employees to continue to do business there. I am not trying to start a pissing match but I am very appreciative of the relationship that Turners is working out with us Calgunners. If you do not like what someone did at a certain time, that's your prerogative. But name calling is a testament to your maturity. Turners, thank you for your support of the rest of us who are willing to shop with you and for employing friendly staff in these tough economic times.
Old 08-29-2011, 6:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinLA View Post
Speaking of long lines, went to Turners on Sunday to buy some ammo on the way to the range. Totally packed. Walked right out and paid the higher prices at the range b/c I didn't want to lose 45 mins or more buying ammo.

Maybe some sort of "no questions" line or, even better, call-in or online order with store pickup option, would be VERY helpful in these types of run-in and grab something type of situations (which, currently, isn't really an option b/c of the long wait times).

edit: the thumbprint thing got answered above. Stupid LA.
Your edit answered the other issue too.

I can walk into the Chino Hills, Pasadena, Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, or any of the other stores except for those in the city of LA and pick up any ammo I'd like off the shelf and carry it to the register.
Don't have to say a word to anybody other than to answer the question "Debit or credit?"

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-29-2011, 6:56 PM

I never asked for legal advice, I talked to the lovely people at del-ton about their guns and mainly their lowers. They said to go to any ffl and they would middle man them or order them that striped lowers (OLL) are not illegal in ANY state and definitely not in CA.
I didn't ask opinion or for "advice" but to order me a gun (yes I bought 3 that year from them) xd45 10/22 and a sig. They would cut me off and badger me about illegal weapons, that they are now selling. When I tried to tell them they were not illegal they told me I was asking for trouble and "stupid" now they stock ALOT of the brands I had to drive miles to get. I just would have felt better if they said, they didn't want the trouble and attention or something, but to badger me call me ignorant and stupid to laws, I stopped shopping there. Like I said I spent over 1000$ in guns and was expected them to at least word it a little better. Trust me this was 4-5 years ago, but I still had to say something. The post title was "Questions you would like to ask Turners"
Sorry to offend, I mean ban me for being honest most of my advice for Ca legal ARs advice came from this site and their store bad mouthed it. Now they are all pro ak/ar and calguns... I was OG calguns they are the fresh faces that need to earn their stripes! This will probably be my last post anyways.

Last edited by irierider; 08-29-2011 at 7:00 PM..
Old 08-29-2011, 6:59 PM
Señor Member

And in 2007, 2008, and even 2011, the same thing would happen at many gun shops.

It's not unique to Turner's.

The FFL has the option to refuse to participate in a sale that they do not KNOW is 100% legal.

And why would you go to "$125 FFL Transfer Fee + DROS" Turner's anyways?

Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
I never asked for legal advice, I talked to the lovely people at del-ton about their guns and mainly their lowers. They said to go to any ffl and they would middle man them or order them that striped lowers (OLL) are not illegal in ANY state and definitely not in CA.
I didn't ask opinion or for "advice" but to order me a gun (yes I bout 3 that year from them) xd45 10/22 and a sig. They would cut me off and badger me about illegal weapons, that they are now selling. When I tried to tell them they were not illegal they told me I was asking for trouble and "stupid" not they stock ALOT of the brands I had to drive miles to get. I just would have felt better if they said, they didn't want the trouble and attention or something, but to badger me call me ignorant and stupid to laws, I stopped shopping there. Like I said I spent over 1000$ in guns and was expected them to at least word it a little better. Trust me this was 4-5 years ago, but I still had to say something. The post title was "Questions you would like to ask Turners"
Sorry to offend, I mean ban me for being honest most of my advice for Ca legal ARs advice came from this site and their store bad mouthed it. Now they are all pro ak/ar and calguns... I was OG calguns they are the fresh faces that need to earn their stripes! This will probably be my last post anyways.
4-5 years ago they were under different ownership, and that ownership was not OLL-friendly. In the 2 years since the new owners took over, Turners has changed its position on the OLL movement, starting off small and continually more and more OLL-stuff. Heck, they are selling AR-pistols now, and there are even some old time OLL dealers that still won't touch those.

Old 08-30-2011, 4:41 PM

Quote:
4-5 years ago they were under different ownership, and that ownership was not OLL-friendly. In the 2 years since the new owners took over, Turners has changed its position on the OLL movement, starting off small and continually more and more OLL-stuff. Heck, they are selling AR-pistols now, and there are even some old time OLL dealers that still won't touch those.
That would have been the best answer I could hope for, but why hasn't anyone from their shop said anything of the sort. I wasn't looking for a handy. New turners you got it right, old turners shame, shame on you. CalGuns always love for you, anyone who said bad about my post read the opening page
"Welcome to CALGUNS
The California Firearms Owner's Home On The Internet
Working Together To Preserve Our Freedoms "
I wasn't trying to get a silencer or a crack rock...
Excuse my rash comments new turners keep helping Ca evolve to where the other 45 gun states are now
Old 08-30-2011, 9:03 PM

First off, I like Turners and have had nothing but good experiences in their stores. If I had to complain about anything it would be that the Kerney Mesa store is so small and cramped compared to some of their other stores, like Corona.
The big question I have is why do you stock so little reloading equipment? It really isn't just you, but there is virtually nowhere in San Diego that has a considerable supply of equipment. I went to 6 different stores (Turners included) looking for a new tumbler and found nothing. I ended up finding one at Faith in Temecula.
Is there no money/interest in it? Are the SD county regulations prohibitive to reloading supplies? I'm just surprised because aside from a few shell plates and a select few bullets there is very little in your store and it would be nice to be able to pick up things like de-capper pins, dies, etc when I am in there. I don't mind mail order but I would much rather support a local business who supports the community than mail order, even if it costs me $10 more.
Old 08-31-2011, 3:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
First off, I like Turners and have had nothing but good experiences in their stores. If I had to complain about anything it would be that the Kerney Mesa store is so small and cramped compared to some of their other stores, like Corona.
You asked for it; you shall receive!

Seriously, who's reading who's mind?

As a matter of fact, we are expanding the Kearny Mesa store by taking over the space next door and revamping the interior fixtures and gun rack.

Construction starts in the next few days; it will take a few weeks to get it done and then we'll have a completely crazy Grand Re-Opening Sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
The big question I have is why do you stock so little reloading equipment? It really isn't just you, but there is virtually nowhere in San Diego that has a considerable supply of equipment. I went to 6 different stores (Turners included) looking for a new tumbler and found nothing. I ended up finding one at Faith in Temecula.
Is there no money/interest in it? Are the SD county regulations prohibitive to reloading supplies? I'm just surprised because aside from a few shell plates and a select few bullets there is very little in your store and it would be nice to be able to pick up things like de-capper pins, dies, etc when I am in there. I don't mind mail order but I would much rather support a local business who supports the community than mail order, even if it costs me $10 more.
As for reloading, we are in the process of revamping that whole category but it's sitting a little lower in the priority list behind our other projects. We just added Berger bullets and we've got other new items on the way. Once our online store is up, we'll really max out our reloading selection.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!

Last edited by Turner's Outdoorsman; 08-31-2011 at 8:39 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 8:06 PM

^^^^ That's awesome... I can't wait to see it (both things)
Old 09-02-2011, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Default $5 Handling fee?

I just bought a Maverick 88 that was on sale for $209 from the Fountain Valley store and noticed when I got home that a $5 handling fee was charged.

Im not one to complain but whats the deal with this fee? Turners is a gun store right? So why charge a handling fee for something that the store already does which is sell guns? There was no special order or anything. That is like Mc Donalds charging $5 for walking to the back to get a burger and charging a "burger handling fee". What is the deal? I really like Turners but this is the first time I have ever been charged this fee from a gun shop. Thanks

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 09-02-2011 at 3:21 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 4:15 PM

from another thread:

Quote:

I'd rather they just dispense with the $5 fee and just consider it the cost of selling a gun. they are already making a profit with the gun sale. bump up the cost of the guns $5 if it is that big a deal.

I guess that if you are buying multiple long guns at one time then one $5 dealer fee is better than $5x the number of guns purchased.

Last edited by ke6guj; 09-02-2011 at 4:18 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 7:11 PM

I don't agree with the $5 Turners fee unless they have to special order a gun.
Old 09-02-2011, 8:34 PM

The solution appears to be obvious: Drop the $5.00 handling fee and increase the price on all guns by $5.00. That should dry up the river of tears and the board clog of redundant complaints.
Old 09-02-2011, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
from another thread:

I guess that if you are buying multiple long guns at one time then one $5 dealer fee is better than $5x the number of guns purchased.
then you have the problem of being reported for multi-long purchase's...