Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-22-2017, 2:26 PM

Default [solved] new PSA PA10 bolt fail to go into battery (now only FTE by hand)

took the PA10 to the range last week; loaded a PMag and a Midway's ARStoner mag with Fiocchi and Prvi Partisan 308 (not 7.62x51) 150gr.
Slap the bolt catch and the bolt fly half way forward with just the tip of the round awkwardly stuck in chamber, scratching the casing in process and also the bullet too. Had to do the “mortaring” move to pull the bolt back (slam the rifle to the ground by the buffer tube).
Tried another round, this time with the charging handle fully pulled back and released, still the same; tried different ammo and mag combination, same thing. Not in battery and stuck.
Tried loading only one round per mag and the cartridge went further in, but the bolt is still not FULLY into battery, the forward assist does nothing. Placed a round by hand into the chamber, and the bolt will close fully, fire, and eject.
Went home, read a little online, did the extractor hack (remove one of the two extractor springs), but still won’t consistently load a cartridge from a mag. I also notice, without a round, the bolt will not close smoothly (see video).
Read a little more online, the root cause could be the chamber not fully reamed, or the bolt carrier group have obstruction somewhere. Some reported that it will get better after a few firings, but most ppl RMA or Returned it. Would it be an easy fix on my end? Or have PSA deal with it ?

https://youtu.be/cJRJmQ_MuQo
notice in the video, if I gently release the charging handle, the bolt will not fully close (i know i know, in actual cycling this will not happen); but when i do the same on my other AR15, it will still goes into battery smoothly even when i gently let it go.

EDIT / UPDATE:
https://goo.gl/photos/qQzA5p6Zosyvya9AA
it seems it is feeding and getting into battery just fine now. BUT, it still get stuck after a round been chambered (ie, I cannot pull the charging handle back by hand). I am sure it will cycle through by the gas system in actual 'firing mode'.
Odd thing is, it gets stuck only when a round is loaded from the mag, but, it doesn't get stuck if I hand feed the round into chamber, close the bolt, and i can pull the charging handle to clear the round.
I tried to hand load a round with an empty magazine, it will clear; hand load another round with a loaded magazine, it will still clear. It only gets stuck if it is loaded from a magazine.
It still scratches the copper jacket of the bullet though.

update: okay, so the gun works
1) the scratch on the bullet, is from the bullet coming OUT from battery when the extractor pulling it in an angle and scratches it on the edge of the barrel extension's lugs; the scratch is not when it goes in.
2) while it still get stuck when try to eject/clear a chambered round by hand, it cycle through fine during regular firing.
3) a few times it ejected the spent brass HALF WAY, while the next round is on its way in, so both the spent brass and new round got wedged together and jammed. I suspect the "single spring mod" on the extractor contributed to this. will put it back and try again, maybe without the two rubber gasket/washer thingie.
4) new quality issue though: the firing pin's retainer pin is loose AF. it comes out easily without much persuasion after the first time removing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3774.JPG (88.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3765.JPG (78.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3768.JPG (74.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by garyngwind; 06-24-2017 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: update situation
Old 06-22-2017, 3:10 PM

you try any other brand magazines? is your upper and lower both PSA? is it an 80%?
Old 06-22-2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnelcheeze View Post
you try any other brand magazines? is your upper and lower both PSA? is it an 80%?
upper lower both PSA, Gen 2, built from stripped + part kits, not a "assembled rifle" from PSA. I only have those two mags, though, will look into getting a DPMS one.
Old 06-22-2017, 6:24 PM

Where are you located?+ what kind of buffer length did you use. + what kind of spring and buffer did you throw in there.
Old 06-22-2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_b View Post
Where are you located?+ what kind of buffer length did you use. + what kind of spring and buffer did you throw in there.
i used the PSA one that came as a kit.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-p...rifle-kit.html

i am in LA, Hacienda Heights.
Old 06-22-2017, 7:02 PM

Can you post a pic of your barrel extension?
Old 06-23-2017, 1:14 AM

https://goo.gl/photos/qQzA5p6Zosyvya9AA

here you go
Old 06-23-2017, 1:19 AM

update: it seems it is feeding and getting into battery just fine now. BUT, it still get stuck after a round been chambered (ie, I cannot pull the charging handle back by hand). I am sure it will cycle through by the gas system in actual 'firing mode'.
Odd thing is, it gets stuck only when a round is loaded from the mag, but, it doesn't get stuck if I hand feed the round into chamber, close the bolt, and i can pull the charging handle to clear the round.
I tried to hand load a round with an empty magazine, it will clear; hand load another round with a loaded magazine, it will still clear. It only gets stuck if it is loaded from a magazine.
It still scratches the copper jacket of the bullet though.
Old 06-23-2017, 5:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks like the feed ramps are off.

Last edited by saudadeii; 06-23-2017 at 5:23 AM..
Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM

I'm not expert, but those are some ugly feedramps. I wonder if the case is somehow getting deformed when loading from a mag and causing your extraction issue. I'm guessing an actual expert will chime in though.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 PM

update: okay, so the gun works
1) the scratch on the bullet, is from the bullet coming OUT from battery when the extractor pulling it in an angle and scratches it on the edge of the barrel extension's lugs; the scratch is not when it goes in.
2) while it still get stuck when try to eject/clear a chambered round by hand, it cycle through fine during regular firing.
3) a few times it ejected the spent brass HALF WAY, while the next round is on its way in, so both the spent brass and new round got wedged together and jammed. I suspect the "single spring mod" on the extractor contributed to this. will put it back and try again, maybe without the two rubber gasket/washer thingie.
4) new quality issue though: the firing pin's retainer pin is loose AF. it comes out easily without much persuasion after the first time removing it.
5) i haven't polish the feed ramp, will look into it
Old 06-25-2017, 4:30 AM

Is the extractor fully making it around the case when chambered?
Do you have any wear between the top on the receiver and the top of the bolt or gas key?
Is the mag fully loaded? Does this still happen when the magazine has one round loaded?

The feed ramps do not look like they follow the same profile from the extension to the receiver in the last pic.
Ephesians 6:10
Old 06-25-2017, 4:52 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like your extension has m4 feedramps but the upper has standard. PSA quality at its finest.
Old 06-25-2017, 6:08 AM
Banned

Yup, like the other 2 posters said, looks like the feed ramps are off....