Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-19-2017, 2:35 PM

Pretty sure the Russians are the cause of CD's bad Mini. They left my Mini alone, but have been screwing with my golf clubs for years.
Old 06-19-2017, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
Pretty sure the Russians are the cause of CD's bad Mini. They left my Mini alone, but have been screwing with my golf clubs for years.
Haha!

That is awesome!

On that point (former teaching pro here),
I am not one to switch putters often - but a buddy of mine is always blaming his putters and switching them out.

Sergio Garcia, on the other hand, has a pretty novel Idea on how to train his putter.
He doesn't kick it to the curb and go get another.
He sticks it in the toilet overnight to sit and think about it.
Love that kid - he does stink sometimes tho haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 06-19-2017, 2:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
I actually think CD's Mini 14 hate is pretty funny. We should all be thankful he doesn't hate our trucks, dogs, or wives, as he may very well have had a bad experience with any number of them. He's entitled to his opinion, however, any conclusions he has drawn, are purely anecdotal, and therefore weak at best, and most likely logical fallacies. I have a Mini 14, I like it, I have fun with it; sue me.
I'm glad you get a kick out of it, that's the shtick.

Yes, my personal experience is an anecdote, and I wouldn't be upset if someone tossed aside my experience. However, I'm just one data point of many to be found on the internet either way in the discussion of the Mini 14.

As pointed out I never sent the rifle back to Ruger. Honestly, it wasn't worth the trouble to me. I sold it for $400 to a friend who likes it for what it is, a high powered plinker. The biggest problems for me weren't the occasional extraction related issues, or even the 4-5 moa accuracy performance. It was the wandering zero, and first round flier problem. From day to day the zero shifted significantly, and often the first round in the magazine was an important shot at game.
Old 06-19-2017, 3:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
I believe that CD had a bad Mini, it happens, and he as every right to dislike the platform based on his experience...... That said, he never sent it back to Ruger to correct the problem, so he'll never know what a great little rifle they can be.
Eh, it just wasn't worth the trouble and I'd had enough of the rifle. I felt like I gave it an honest chance at some 2-3K rounds and trying so much to get rid of the first round issues. The wandering zero is probably incurable given the gas system design. My buddy likes it, he knew the issues I had, and he felt like $400 was a fair deal.

Once you experience fixing a firearm in minutes on your kitchen table with the help of youtube videos you'll quickly lose patience with mailing things back and forth to manufacturers.
Old 06-19-2017, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Eh, it just wasn't worth the trouble and I'd had enough of the rifle. I felt like I gave it an honest chance at some 2-3K rounds and trying so much to get rid of the first round issues. The wandering zero is probably incurable given the gas system design. My buddy likes it, he knew the issues I had, and he felt like $400 was a fair deal.

Once you experience fixing a firearm in minutes on your kitchen table with the help of youtube videos you'll quickly lose patience with mailing things back and forth to manufacturers.
Hey, different strokes for different folks! Plenty of toys out there for everyone (well, in free states anyway)
Old 06-19-2017, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yes, my personal experience is an anecdote, and I wouldn't be upset if someone tossed aside my experience. However, I'm just one data point of many to be found on the internet either way in the discussion of the Mini 14.

As pointed out I never sent the rifle back to Ruger. Honestly, it wasn't worth the trouble to me. I sold it for $400 to a friend who likes it for what it is, a high powered plinker. The biggest problems for me weren't the occasional extraction related issues, or even the 4-5 moa accuracy performance. It was the wandering zero, and first round flier problem. From day to day the zero shifted significantly, and often the first round in the magazine was an important shot at game.
Next time you go shooting with your buddy have him load a round into your rifle or not load one, so you won't know if it's going to go bang or not. Do that for awhile until your wandering/shifting zero is cured.
Old 06-19-2017, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Very reliable if built while Bill Ruger was alive. If nuilt in last 5 years you take your chances. Sold my early stainless one for $750 a couple years ago probably paid $129-149. It shot consistant 2" groups so not real impressive.
Old 06-19-2017, 4:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Next time you go shooting with your buddy have him load a round into your rifle or not load one, so you won't know if it's going to go bang or not. Do that for awhile until your wandering/shifting zero is cured.
Nah, I'll just shoot every other rifle I own which holds its zero.
Old 06-19-2017, 4:55 PM
CGN Contributor

I need to drop a question for the Mini owners, trying to diagnose an ejection issue with a 185 series, stovepipe jamming once or twice a magazine? Doing it with all of our mags, and they are all Ruger 10 round or 10/20 rivetted. Put in a new recoil spring and no real change. Extractor visually looks fine, but was going to replace that and add an adjustable gas block with strut bar...

EDIT: Ammunition has been Federal AE .223 Rem and 5.56 55 grain, and PMC XM193.

Last edited by Ulfhednar; 06-19-2017 at 4:57 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post
I need to drop a question for the Mini owners, trying to diagnose an ejection issue with a 185 series, stovepipe jamming once or twice a magazine? Doing it with all of our mags, and they are all Ruger 10 round or 10/20 rivetted. Put in a new recoil spring and no real change. Extractor visually looks fine, but was going to replace that and add an adjustable gas block with strut bar...

How far is your spent brass flying? Launching a mile or dribbling out?
Old 06-19-2017, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

It could be the ejector. It could have weak spring or crud or something messing it up.
Old 06-19-2017, 5:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It could be the ejector. It could have weak spring or crud or something messing it up.
Kind of dribbling out, not the epic flings of other Minis, figured it was under gassed, but I am really no expert and just guessing.
Old 06-19-2017, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Kind of dribbling out, not the epic flings of other Minis, figured it was under gassed, but I am really no expert and just guessing.
Impossibru !!!

Quote:
Old 06-19-2017, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Lol, probably the extractor - overgassing causinh the extractor to tear the rim and lose grip, damage extractor is more likely.

Quote:
Old 06-19-2017, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The 185 series has an ejector in the bolt same as M1 Garand, M1 Carbine etc... The newer series Mini has a different type ejector. My 185 series Mini kicks them up and forward towards 1 o'clock.
Old 06-20-2017, 5:39 AM

Quote:

It's always a tough call whether to send something back or not, whether it's worth the hassle. Although it was a huge hassle, the best decision I ever made, was sending my ex wife back. I would have traded her for your Mini in a hot second.
Old 06-20-2017, 6:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

This was my exact problem. I would get close enough for zero then later check my zero and it's way off. Couldn't get it to stay, and yes, I had quality scope mount and scope with bolts mounted to standard tq. Til this day, I'm still using that scope on my other rifles with no issue.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
This was my exact problem. I would get close enough for zero then later check my zero and it's way off. Couldn't get it to stay, and yes, I had quality scope mount and scope with bolts mounted to standard tq. Til this day, I'm still using that scope on my other rifles with no issue.
Ever send it back to Ruger to get fixed?
Old 06-22-2017, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any firearm with wandering zero has loose parts.
Old 06-22-2017, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Any firearm with wandering zero has loose parts.
All semi autos have loose parts

Quote:
Old 06-22-2017, 8:54 PM

Can we buy the 16" model here?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
All semi autos have loose parts

Ok. But any firearm with wandering zero has loose parts that are not supposed to be loose. I.e. It's either broken or badly assembled. Wanderingzero is a complaint being made against the mini and I'm saying you could make any gun have a wandering zero but that's a clear sign it's not right, not that the gun design is bad.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gorilla View Post
Can we buy the 16" model here?
If it comes with 10 or less round magazine, then yes.
If it comes with greater than 10 round magazine, then no.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Yeah I figured that. Every place I looked online only offered the 16" with greater then 10 round mags. Thought maybe you couldn't have the 16" model here. Ok I'll keep looking. Thanks
Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok. But any firearm with wandering zero has loose parts that are not supposed to be loose. I.e. It's either broken or badly assembled. Wanderingzero is a complaint being made against the mini and I'm saying you could make any gun have a wandering zero but that's a clear sign it's not right, not that the gun design is bad.
Not really, the design is why it has trouble with wandering zero the heavy reciprocating mass, the gas block design, etc make repeatability difficult. The same problem plagues the M14 (M1A).
Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not really, the design is why it has trouble with wandering zero the heavy reciprocating mass, the gas block design, etc make repeatability difficult. The same problem plagues the M14 (M1A).
We all know about the inherent inaccuracy of the M14/M1A
Stand down Chuck, we're all aware of your dissatisfaction with the Mini, & unless you personally have had a real world problem with the M1A platform I'd suggest you play the quiet game.........
Old 06-23-2017, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Yes really. The Mini, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, M14(M1A) all have to have properly fitted stocks or they can have wandering zeros. Even bolt action rifles have to have a properly fitted stocks and it's considered one of the most accurate designs.
Old 06-23-2017, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes really. The Mini, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, M14(M1A) all have to have properly fitted stocks or they can have wandering zeros. Even bolt action rifles have to have a properly fitted stocks and it's considered one of the most accurate designs.

Yes loose parts that should not be... a sloppy fitted stock is exactly that.
Old 06-23-2017, 7:17 AM

Default Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
then you need to do some research before buying next time... if the mini14 is the most reliable rifle in your safe.
I've owned it for over 25yrs and have never had a failure of any kind. I doubt any "research" would improve on that!
Old 06-23-2017, 7:43 AM

I have had one since 94 and with factory mags or very good mags it is very reliable its kind of my plinker beater i call it.WOnt win an accuracy contest but good enough to hit someone at a good distance.

I use my ar for the accuracy stuff and that too is reliable but the mini i can drop in the dirt or sand and it wont miss a beat.
Old 06-23-2017, 8:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

When ammo is regulated next year a more accurate option may be attractive.
Old 06-23-2017, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Many speak to the overgassing causing shift d/t the op rod and bolt slamming so hard.
Others claim poor barrel harmonics.

Never have heard the "loose parts" phenomenon before now.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2017, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
I believe the tactical (16") has a flash hider. This would need to be changed to a muzzle brake/comp or just removed prior to entering CA (ffl 7 excepted).

Quote:
Old 06-23-2017, 9:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
We all know about the inherent inaccuracy of the M14/M1A
Stand down Chuck, we're all aware of your dissatisfaction with the Mini, & unless you personally have had a real world problem with the M1A platform I'd suggest you play the quiet game.........

Here's a photo I took of my squad leader on an M14 in Kohi Safi Afghanistan in 2002. You may take a seat.
Old 06-23-2017, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
Many speak to the overgassing causing shift d/t the op rod and bolt slamming so hard.
Others claim poor barrel harmonics.

Never have heard the "loose parts" phenomenon before now.
If you have a loose stock the bolt slamming so hard repositions the action in the stock. Every time you remove action from stock it has to settle back in, it is the reason people bed their stocks and adjust overgassing.
Old 06-23-2017, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you have a loose stock the bolt slamming so hard repositions the action in the stock. Every time you remove action from stock it has to settle back in, it is the reason people bed their stocks and adjust overgassing.
Sure is.

Still, if you take care of the over-gassing much of the problem will be solved, maybe a barrel brace or weight and gtg.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2017, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

A mini 14 is best used as a club. In fact, it is even inaccurate in that regard. Using a AR-15 as a club, I can hit the same spot on an object I am trying to bludgeon with astonishing accuracy. With a Mini 14, when I try to bludgeon someone with it (usually someone disparaging it's shooting accuracy) I'm as likely to hit their heads, arms, torso, legs, hands, and back as anything else. It truly is a piece of inaccurate crap.
Old 06-23-2017, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Here's a photo I took of my squad leader on an M14 in Kohi Safi Afghanistan in 2002. You may take a seat.
Curious,
Any probs with your squad leaders M14?

Pretty sure I have seen this pic before btw.

(Edit)

Yep, this guy.

Pooular guy, that buddy of yours.
Per chance, is that you in the pic?

Quote:

Last edited by SloChicken; 06-23-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Or just buy a bolt action rifle that comes with a free floated barrel in a pillar bedded stock right from the factory.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
Or just buy a bolt action rifle that comes with a free floated barrel in a pillar bedded stock right from the factory.
But it don't take Mini-14 magazines.