Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > The CRPA Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The CRPA Forum News, Questions, and Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Lightbulb Semi-auto shotgun with bullet button clarification

I have just contacted my FFL about his but he has not idea so I thought it's worth posting here.

I have a question about semi-auto shotguns with detachable mags. There is lots of controversy around legality of Saiga-style shotguns now. Passed laws in 2016 are explicitly applicable to centerfire rifles only banning bullet-button "workaround". What about semi-auto shotguns with mags? I’m getting mixed information and not clear how it is and will be regulated in '17 and forward.

I was reading the proposed by DOJ regulations and listening to CRPA webinar (thank you guys for doing this!) and from DOJ regulation it looks like the ban bullet button plain and simple, meaning semi-auto shotguns as well. Now, this means the overstepping and trying to implement regulations that are not in the law now. Is CRPA/NRA going to or already challenging this in court?

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-10-2017, 9:14 PM

Does it have a pistol grip? or a flash suppressor? collapsible Stock?
Old 06-10-2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourkeco View Post
Does it have a pistol grip? or a flash suppressor? collapsible Stock?
No, I'm asking about semi-auto configuration that was legal in 2016 but looks like DOJ is trying to make the not legal in 2017 and forward with the new set of regulations ((.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:05 PM
retired Goon

AFAIK...

CA DOJ is overstepping with the proposed regulations including semi-auto shotguns with "bullet button" magazine locks as assault weapons.

CRPA/NRA is challenging the proposed assault weapons regulations.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-24-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
AFAIK...

CA DOJ is overstepping with the proposed regulations including semi-auto shotguns with "bullet button" magazine locks as assault weapons.

CRPA/NRA is challenging the proposed assault weapons regulations.
California's politicians and government employees are a criminal gang that makes the MS 13 gang look like a Boy Scout troop
Old 06-30-2017, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
California's politicians and government employees are a criminal gang that makes the MS 13 gang look like a Boy Scout troop
Can't se see any difference between CA politicians and the MS 13 gang myself.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM

I'm also in this boat with an MK 1919 I legally purchased last year. Has bullet button, detachable magazine (using bullet button) and a pistol grip. Right now it is considered an AW.

Old 09-18-2017, 8:32 PM
retired Goon

As of 08-01-2017, semi-auto shotguns with a "bullet button" style magazine lock are now considered assault weapons due to CA DOJ BOF assault weapons regulations being adopted.

If you legally acquired the semi-auto shotgun with "bullet button" style magazine lock from 2001-2016, then you are eligible to register it as an assault weapon.

If you legally acquired the semi-auto shotgun with "bullet button" style magazine lock after 2016 (Jan-Aug 2017), then you are not eligible to register it as an assault weapon.

Besides registering it as an assault weapon, the following can be done in order to keep it CA legal:

A. Disassembled parts.
^Kept as disassembled parts and never assembled while in CA. It may be prudent, while in CA, to store/transport the parts in different containers/locations.

B. Manually operated shotgun.
^Remove the gas piston and plug the gas block. This will make it into a straight pull bolt-action shotgun.
~As a bolt-action shotgun it is CA legal to accept detachable magazines, have a pistol grip, and have a folding/extending stock (overall length needs to be 26" or greater, measured with the stock folded/collapsed & non-permanently attached muzzle devices removed).

C. Fixed magazine shotgun.
^Permanently affix (weld/epoxy/rivet) a 10 or less round magazine into the firearm's magazine well or install a device that prevents the magazine from being removed without disassembling the firearm's action.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).