Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shotta HiFi View Post
Knowing your tendencies to go all in with whatever platform currently has your obsession, methinks this 'rabbit hole' may be one of your most expensive yet! Start thinking about inch vs. metric because I predict you will quickly move on to the 'want to build' stage... I predict an entry level Brazilian Imbel on Imbel build followed by a L1A1, a STG58 is sure to be in there somewhere along with the venerable Israeli heavy (or light) barrel build. An Argie clone will be in there somewhere and perhaps you will end up hankering to build up a clone of the bonified commie killing, poopy painted Rhodesian FAL platform. I see you eventually even saving up to buy a real example of the original Belgian FN FAL ($$$$).

Someone recommended setting up an account over on the FALfiles <-- real good advise.

Check out the member Paco's collection of FALs he has over in Belgium - a veritable FAL museum - and you realize that the variations I listed above are only scratching the surface. He recently received some new toys and so had to reorganize his FAL collection - poor guy...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413563

When you are ready to get to building shoot me a PM - I have some of the tools you will need.

All I can say to that link........ Wow
Old 06-08-2017, 3:07 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Knowing your tendencies to go all in with whatever platform currently has your obsession, methinks this 'rabbit hole' may be one of your most expensive yet! Start thinking about inch vs. metric because I predict you will quickly move on to the 'want to build' stage... I predict an entry level Brazilian Imbel on Imbel build followed by a L1A1, a STG58 is sure to be in there somewhere along with the venerable Israeli heavy (or light) barrel build. An Argie clone will be in there somewhere and perhaps you will end up hankering to build up a clone of the bonified commie killing, poopy painted Rhodesian FAL. I see you eventually even saving up to buy a real example of the original Belgian FN FAL ($$$$).

Someone recommended setting up an account over on the FALfiles <-- real good advice.

Check out the member Paco's collection of FALs he has over in Belgium - a veritable FAL museum - and you will realize that the variations I listed above are only scratching the surface. He recently received some new toys and so had to reorganize his FAL collection - poor guy...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413563

When you are ready to get to building shoot me a PM - I have some of the tools you will need.

That is a very impressive collection. It is actually quite similar to my own overall collection. Almost identical, with the exception of my gun room being much smaller, not nearly as many guns, nor even close in value, no real lighting, style, no display panache, no semblance of order, no real flow or direction, and generally just a grabastic pile of dusty crates and boxes in my nou·veau riche castle on wheels in the back corner of a nameless enclave of whiskey tango banjo strummers like mah self.
Old 06-08-2017, 8:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Very nice rifle! I believe the Voyager is the cast receiver vs. forged which for practical purposes makes no difference.
Old 06-09-2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robledo View Post
Is that a 10/30?.
Why even ask? The answer yes.
Ephesians 6:10
Old 06-09-2017, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBrowning View Post
Because he stated it's a 10/20 in the original post and it looked larger than that. Calm down.
Old 06-09-2017, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBrowning View Post
Bobby R regularly posts in the LE section as an LE so unless he is lying.......in theory, he could get a 30 legally if he wanted to.

But.....this is CA. In CA, we don't call out fellow gun owners in public asking if their stuff is legal or not. Just assume it is or quietly admire it. Anything else is just rude.
Old 06-09-2017, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Bobby R regularly posts in the LE section as an LE so unless he is lying.......in theory, he could get a 30 legally if he wanted to.

But.....this is CA. In CA, we don't call out fellow gun owners in public asking if their stuff is legal or not. Just assume it is or quietly admire it. Anything else is just rude.
I think my plain curiosity if it was a 10/30 vs a 10/20 was misinterpreted as asking if it was a "high capacity" magazine. As far as the latter goes, I couldn't care less what someone else has and it's none of my business.
Old 06-09-2017, 9:15 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Sorry for any consternation posed by the pictures. The rifle, the magazine, and every single other item I own is completely legal.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 PM

I had issues with the voyager when I first got mine. Lots of failure to feeds. Not stripping the cartridge out of the mag. The mags were tight as **** to put in. It got better the more I inserted. I got it down to 1 failure to feed per 2 mags and has sat in the safe since then. Hell, I don't even remember the barrel length. I know it's not the 21 so it's either a 16" or 18" if they even make a 16".Focused on my beo. If I recall correctly Atlantic was pretty customer service oriented and would have no qualms purchasing from them in the future.
Old 06-10-2017, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmrevolver View Post
I had issues with the voyager when I first got mine. Lots of failure to feeds. Not stripping the cartridge out of the mag. The mags were tight as **** to put in. It got better the more I inserted. I got it down to 1 failure to feed per 2 mags and has sat in the safe since then. Hell, I don't even remember the barrel length. I know it's not the 21 so it's either a 16" or 18" if they even make a 16".Focused on my beo. If I recall correctly Atlantic was pretty customer service oriented and would have no qualms purchasing from them in the future.

9mm,

I can almost guarantee your issue is with the mags. I have yet to find a quality 10 round, purpose made FAL mag. I have a few 10 rounders from dsa and most work well, some Not so much. Same with the poly 10 rounders I have. They aren't dimensionally to spec and the body gets squeezed when inserted into the receiver, thus preventing the follower from properly lifting the last round or two into the feed lips. If you can get yourself an original steel FAL mag, and have it blocked to 10 rds, my bet is your problems would go away. Good luck. It's a great rifle and well worth the effort to get the mag thing sorted out and the rifle functioning properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 8:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Well Bobby.....you have inspired me.
I have a few duplicates I am going to put up for sale to fund an 18" version for myself.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 9:29 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
9mm,

I can almost guarantee your issue is with the mags. I have yet to find a quality 10 round, purpose made FAL mag. I have a few 10 rounders from dsa and most work well, some Not so much. Same with the poly 10 rounders I have. They aren't dimensionally to spec and the body gets squeezed when inserted into the receiver, thus preventing the follower from properly lifting the last round or two into the feed lips. If you can get yourself an original steel FAL mag, and have it blocked to 10 rds, my bet is your problems would go away. Good luck. It's a great rifle and well worth the effort to get the mag thing sorted out and the rifle functioning properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I also noticed right away that the 10/20 DSA marked mag that came with the rifle has a plastic follower. Older magazines I have, also marked as DSA on the floor plate, have metal followers.

I am expecting the first range trip to be trial and error, but I like the ergonomics and overall look of the rifle that I don't mind doing some troubleshooting to figure out the best ammo / gas settings / magazines that function reliably.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

You'll love it Bobby. It just feels so damn right to shoulder and fire it. It feels skinny, but in a good way, not in a cheap or fragile way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 1:01 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You'll love it Bobby. It just feels so damn right to shoulder and fire it. It feels skinny, but in a good way, not in a cheap or fragile way.

Indeed... From a profile view it looks like a beast. From the shooter's point of view it is quite svelte. Nothing cheap feeling whatsoever.
Old 06-10-2017, 1:58 PM

They look so much better in wood furniture!
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.
Old 06-11-2017, 6:47 AM

FYI - This member over in the FAL files is selling surplus FAL mags chopped down to 10/10 configuration - I bought a couple and they the function flawlessly.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412415
Old 06-11-2017, 8:15 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
FYI - This member over in the FAL files is selling surplus FAL mags chopped down to 10/10 configuration - I bought a couple and they the function flawlessly.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412415
Thank you. I did register an account on F F on the recommendation of several members here. I will try at least one substantive range trip with the 7-8 magazines I have and determine if more are needed.
Old 06-11-2017, 9:41 AM

Great looking FAL. I recently converted my DSA FAL to featureless. It only required the fin grip and replacing the Belgian Style flash hider with a muzzle break. Removing the flash hider was the hardest part, but a good barrel vise and threading a 1 1/4 inch long 1/2 inch hex bolt into the Belgian Flash Hider to turn it does the trick. Also, I have had some problems with the DSA FAL 10 round magazines I bought, so I would say sticking with surplus Belgian magazines (converted to a 10 round capacity) would be the most reliable route if you can.

Last edited by loademup; 06-12-2017 at 9:08 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Very nice rifle! I believe the Voyager is the cast receiver vs. forged which for practical purposes makes no difference.
All stock DSAs are now cast, although you can pay ~$100 extra on custom orders for forged.
Old 06-12-2017, 7:26 AM

I am a fan of Atlantic Firearms. Happy with my purchases there and I would def. order from them again ( if I ever decide I can live with a featureless rifle ).
Old 06-12-2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
IIRC, the lack of a carry handle and bipod attachment. I suppose they had to cut some costs somewhere. This feels like a lot of rifle for $1K, so I am not complaining..
My 18" Voyager from AIM Surplus came with a carry handle, bipod cut barrel, and the quick release gas plug.

With the forged receiver now a $100 option on DSA SA58 FALS, that made the only differences a parkerized finish (versus their version of Cerakote/Durakote/whatever), the non-adjustable Holland rear sight, non sand cut bolt carrier (some Voyagers have that), and NOS Steyr pistol grip/stock (versus new US).

It's market pressure forcing pricing changes. During Clinton's presidency, HK had stopped importing 91s, M1As were not inexpensive, the Armalite (nee Eagle Arms) AR10 was a $1500-$2000 gun, and $1500 was competitive for a semi-auto .308 (although you could and I did buy surplus STG-58 parts on an Entreprise cast type 3 receiver with 923(r) compliance via magazine components for $1000). As of last year it was not when you got change back from $1000 buying a PTR-91, VEPR, or off-brand large-frame AR .308.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-12-2017 at 7:56 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular guy View Post
I am a fan of Atlantic Firearms. Happy with my purchases there and I would def. order from them again ( if I ever decide I can live with a featureless rifle ).
FWIW, you can use a stripper clip top cover on FALs although I don't know if DSA's drop in (the military one requires some cuts not present on all FALs)

They have two - a sheet metal part, and a machined one including a short length of 1913 rail which attaches like their scope mount.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-12-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
FWIW, you can use a stripper clip top cover on FALs although I don't know if DSA's is a drop in (the military one requires some cuts not present on all FALs)
Thanks for the info. I will certainly consider that should I decide to buy another rifle. I love my PTRs but they would be tough to top load.
Old 06-14-2017, 7:48 PM

Damn you for reinstalling my desire for a FAL.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-15-2017, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Get to the FALFiles.com with a user name and password. It may take a frustratingly long time to get your account activated, but it is the nexus of all stuff FAL

Drop $100 or so on Blake Stevens The FAL Rifle 1993: Volume 1-3. It's coffee table size and your mind will fry when you see the variations.

Not sure what it is. Brit L1A1s can take Bren 30-rounders with a bit of work, but a Brit mag will not fit a metric gun.

No offense intended, but I've built multiple digits of FAL's and owned 3 or 4 DSA guns and none needed what I'd call a break in period. The only thing to consider as a bit of breaking is that the locking shoulder will set back 0.001" or so once it's shot, so you account for that when you select a shoulder to set headspace.

Hm that it interesting. Over on the FAL files I read that somewhere. Someone saying if you call DSA they will tell you that if your gun is malfunctioning.

Although they call it M80, trying to associate it to the NATO spec, NATO has never inspected the ammo plant. Imo calling it M80 is false advertising, until and unless the Turks submit a bunch for NATO qualification.

Barrel dwell should be the same...normally a shorter barrel will have a slightly larger gas port hole.

I and bil spijt a case of 100 mags, half steel and half aluminum paratrooper versions. All have been tested with zero issues. We picked them up a while ago when they were $179 a case from a dealer in Fort Worth...Military Gun Supply iirc.

Your are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to FALs Hanko. If i ever have issues I know who I am messaging first!

Im having a hell'ova time finding surplus blocked mags that arnt DSA manufactured. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
Your are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to FALs Hanko. If i ever have issues I know who I am messaging first!

Im having a hell'ova time finding surplus blocked mags that arnt DSA manufactured. Any suggestions?
Try contacting audiophil....he's a vendor here and blocks different mags for me. I just ordered some not too long ago from him and am about to order more shortly.
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 06-15-2017, 6:04 PM

Default Want one too...

FAL has been on the list for too long

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." - Homer
Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post

Thanks. I'd suggest a post here v. a PM...we all learn from other's questions and issues.

For surplus mags, I'd check the FAL Files for anyone blocking mags for California.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 06-16-2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
You can buy magblocks for FAL magazines and convert them yourself to 10/20 or 10/30. That is what I did. There are a number of retailers:

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magent...ts/fn-fal.html

http://shop.solartactical.com/FNFAL-...3-pack-113.htm

I used JB Weld to epoxy the blocks into the magazine body...they've been forever California-ized...SAD!

Last edited by loademup; 06-16-2017 at 1:37 PM..
Old 06-20-2017, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Bobby, here's my voyager battle *****. Blast to shoot. I replaced the holland sight with a traditional range adjustable. Took all of 5 minutes. Think I'm going to stick with the steyr furniture. Mine came with the sand cut carrier, and quick adjust gas valve. Rocking a usgi sling until I find a surplus Belgian one.

Old 06-20-2017, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
FWIW, you can use a stripper clip top cover on FALs although I don't know if DSA's drop in (the military one requires some cuts not present on all FALs)

They have two - a sheet metal part, and a machined one including a short length of 1913 rail which attaches like their scope mount.
Or you can buy a spare cover and cut the front part off with a hacksaw to allow top-loading. Looks decent, 100% reversible, works like a champ.

Last edited by God Bless America; 06-20-2017 at 6:46 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebaneseblonde View Post
0-1 are for grenade launching. 2-3 are the adverse. Meaning arctic warfare
4-6 are standard settings.
6-8 were for softer recoiling. Aka the injury setting. If you were busted up you could still manage to use your weapon.
At least them advised us of that in battle school
For grenade launching, you shut off the gas, at least if you're using a ballistite cartridge for launching. Otherwise, you can damage the gas system, regardless of what setting it's on.
Old 06-21-2017, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

DSA has a version of the scope mount that is shortened and has a charger guide built in. Since it is in fact a scope mount, it mounts like the standard one and thus requires no receiver modifications. But it also adds a lot more weight than is desirable if you don't intend to mount an optic. It's the only option for anyone wanting charger loading on a para, though. Well, there's the Tapco version as well (which weighs a bit less since it has lightening cuts).

The other one they sell is just a top cover. It is the Canadian version of the charger guide top cover. There are also steel and hiduminium ones made by FN, along with very rare British and American versions. The steel FN ones are actually not the most common; the hiduminium ones are easier to find and command less of a premium; they weigh about 2 ounces less than a steel cover of either type. Any of these top covers, plus the British full-length top covers (and I think Indian and Australian as well), require cuts on the receiver for the tabs. DSA used to include this for California models back in the pre-BB fixed mag days. The tabs should be kept in place, as they keep the cover from sliding forward during use.

Unfortunately, charger-loading with a FAL is difficult and requires much practice and different techniques compared to what one might use in other rifles. There's a reason why in the 1950s the chargers they tested included horseshoe types or ones that function kind of like those Mean Arms chargers for ARs (and the T-48 even had a forward charger guide for use with these kinds of chargers, to keep the front end in place). Still, if you can reliably get the technique down, you can potentially reload faster than with the bullet button. With a fixed mag, you get to keep practical function, as weapons handling is much better than with the damn grip fins.

Someone needs to develop a good way to fix the mag according to the new standards without anything that involves riveting, welding, or pinning (like what was done before grip fins and bullet buttons came about).
Old 06-21-2017, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

This is my more recent build:

This was my first build:

Old 06-22-2017, 5:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Would it be total sacrilege to camo paint an FAL? Is there a pattern I can match, a South African pattern or something similar?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Baby poop!

That is the camo you seek.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Rhodie

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 06-22-2017, 7:42 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Would it be total sacrilege to camo paint an FAL?
Only to random, anonymous people on the internet who are self proclaimed purists and legends in their own showers.
Old 06-22-2017, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Only to random, anonymous people on the internet who are self proclaimed purists and legends in their own showers.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
This is my more recent build:

This was my first build:

Some real nice looking RiFALs you've built up there - well done!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Bobby, here's my voyager battle *****. Blast to shoot. I replaced the holland sight with a traditional range adjustable. Took all of 5 minutes. Think I'm going to stick with the steyr furniture. Mine came with the sand cut carrier, and quick adjust gas valve. Rocking a usgi sling until I find a surplus Belgian one.

That rifle looks fantastic. Just the right amount of "experience." I confess to having no idea what a sand cut carrier is.