Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjm1a1 View Post
Does anyone know why there has been a shortage of Scar rifles at LGS here in California ?
I believe there's no such shortage if there's a will there's a way I've seen more in volume at a given time; But I haven't ever not seen one for sale. You can buy them from any state, get a middle man transfer to make it CA Compliant and ship to a FFL near you for your end of the work.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I want to replace the muzzle brake on my Scar 16.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Couldn't find a good guide or video on youtube on how to remove it.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

You take a wrench to it and it unscrews off the barrel.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

It doesn't need to be on a vice? Like AR uppers?
Old 05-11-2016, 1:00 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
It doesn't need to be on a vice? Like AR uppers?
It should be. You can buy a barrel vice block from Brownell's and some lead barrel vice shims. Be aware that if the barrel slips it will really gouge it.

Don't try to remove it without clamping the barrel. You could seriously mess up the rifle if you do.
Old 05-11-2016, 1:06 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGr8 View Post
It's a bugger I tried. It must really be baked on there.

After some light and quick scrubbing with a nylon brush and Ballistol, the late hours of the night got the best of me. So I'll be going at it again today.
Oh, in the knurling. You are out of luck. Wear it as a badge of honor, I would.

BTW I really like that color Atlas. Mine is just plain old black.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-11-2016 at 1:42 PM..
Old 05-11-2016, 2:02 PM

Yeah, I really like my FDE Atlas as well.
Old 05-11-2016, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
The shortage has been nationwide but from the looks of the posts on the scar fb group shops all over are starting to finally get them back in. Looks like mostly 17s right now though.
Yap, I've noticed Riflegear has them in stock every week... they sell out pretty quickly... but as of this exact moment, they still have 3 in stock and that's been the case for an hour now.

Like you said, they're starting to come back in.

Looking forward to mine.
Old 05-11-2016, 3:52 PM

A redesigned SCAR 17 will be out next year addressing all the feedback from the current version.

The current version needs $1500 worth of upgrades to be all it can be. That should be eliminated on the next version.
Old 05-11-2016, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
It should be. You can buy a barrel vice block from Brownell's and some lead barrel vice shims. Be aware that if the barrel slips it will really gouge it.

Don't try to remove it without clamping the barrel. You could seriously mess up the rifle if you do.

Even better is to just loosen the 6 barrel screws, remove the barrel and put the barrel extension in some smooth vice jaws.
Old 05-11-2016, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehn20 View Post
A redesigned SCAR 17 will be out next year addressing all the feedback from the current version.

The current version needs $1500 worth of upgrades to be all it can be. That should be eliminated on the next version.
Link please.
Old 05-12-2016, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Bailed out my upper today from jail .... She's home now ��

My new blonde bottom b*tch
Old 05-12-2016, 8:07 PM

very nice
1942 Springfield M1 Garand
1942 Toyo Kogyo Arisaka Type 99
1943 Royal Ordinance Lee Enfield
Old 05-12-2016, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Evidence?
Old 05-12-2016, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Nice at least place a towel under her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaca View Post

Old 05-13-2016, 5:58 AM

Default Scar 16 S

My Scar 16 S

Old 05-13-2016, 8:40 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:

Do you have a source for your assertion?

BTW - The SCAR does not need any upgrades. People add those because they think they have too, but that's crap. The grip, sling points, stock, compensator, rails, and even the trigger do not "need" to be replaced, it all a matter of what someone with too much money thinks they need. The truth is that many of these folks spend way more time and money on accessories than they do actually shooting and buying ammo.

I've got 4 SCARs pictured in the previous pages. The dirty little truth is; I can shoot the same groups (actually slightly better) with the 17 that I never bothered to install the Super SCAR trigger into than I can with my Geissele equipped 17 with NightForce 2.5-10. Its easier with the Geissele trigger, but it can be done. The only changes I made to that rifle are the sling points, a grip, and Aimpoint T2 with Aimpoint 3X magnifier.

You don't need to make any changes for SCARs to shoot well and be an excellent battle rifle. I am sure there are a lot of guys that have added all that stuff that I can outshoot. Bench or free hand.

I'd love to see a new model, but we may not be able to buy one next year...who knows what the commies in California government will get Brown to sign.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-14-2016 at 7:12 PM..
Old 05-13-2016, 9:00 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG-9 View Post
My Scar 16 S

Nice rifle.

Were you actually able to get the EOTech magnifier to work properly with the MRO? Because I have an Aimpoint 3X magnifier and an EOTech Gen2 magnifier that really don't provide a good sight picture with the MRO on my SCAR 16.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-13-2016 at 9:10 AM..
Old 05-13-2016, 9:13 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:

There's no place like home..." Nice.
Old 05-13-2016, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you have a source for your assertion?

BTW - The SCAR does not need any upgrades. People add those because they think they have too, but that's crap. The grip, sling points, stock, compensator, rails, and even the trigger do not "need" to be replaced, it all a matter of what someone with too much money thinks they need. The truth is that many of these folks spend way more time and money on accessories than they do actually shooting and buying ammo.

I've got 4 SCARs pictured in the previous pages. The dirty little truth is; I can shoot the same groups (actually slightly better) with my 17 that I never bothered to install the Super SCAR trigger into and than I can with my Geissele equipped 17 with NightForce 2.5-10. Its easier with the Geissele trigger, but it can be done. The only changes I made to that rifle are the sling points, a grip, and Aimpoint T2 with Aimpoint 3X magnifier.

You don't need to make any changes for SCARs too shoot well and be excellent battle rifles. I am sure there are a lot of guys that have added all that stuff that I can outshoot. Bench or free hand.

I'd love to see a new model, but we may not be able to buy one next year...who knows what the commies in California government will get Brown to sign.
Agreed, and if there were any "improvements," I would guess an updated trigger module to accept a wider variety of magazines.

Aside from that, I don't think FN is working on anything. As is, the rifle is nearly perfect, IMO.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

I swapped out the pws today for the AAC black out and the rifle feels lighter and better balanced with just that quick swap. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!
Old 05-13-2016, 3:31 PM

[QUOTE=ScottsBad;18156364]Nice rifle.

Last edited by GSG-9; 08-24-2016 at 8:06 AM..
Old 05-14-2016, 7:09 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Even better is to just loosen the 6 barrel screws, remove the barrel and put the barrel extension in some smooth vice jaws.
You know, I've suggested this before, but I'm not sure a lot of people could get it clamped properly. I think a vice block made for the barrel extension end of a SCAR barrel would be a good product.
Old 05-14-2016, 7:16 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG-9 View Post
Thanks! Yes it works very well for me in terms of sight picture, check weld, and optic to magnifier alignment. Running the Scalarworks Absolute Co-witness mount, and G33 at same height (without 1/3 co-witness spacer). Not sure if that answers your question.

Run it as a fighting rifle 80% of the time with just the MRO and clip on the magnifier when going out to longer distances.

Heading to Angeles to ping steel on Sunday, if your local and have nothing better to do, you can try it out in person.
No, I'm up North but thanks. That's good to hear, I was expecting you'd have problems. They must have changed a few things since the G23 I have.
Old 05-14-2016, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You know, I've suggested this before, but I'm not sure a lot of people could get it clamped properly. I think a vice block made for the barrel extension end of a SCAR barrel would be a good product.
So while drinking a beer in my living room i took two wrenches, one on the brake and the other on the lock nut. Just hold the muzzle brake in place and hold the rifle between your legs and lossen the lock nut. It doesn't take much. I then installed the AAC blackout

Old 05-15-2016, 7:08 AM

Quote:
So while drinking a beer in my living room i took two wrenches, one on the brake and the other on the lock nut. Just hold the muzzle brake in place and hold the rifle between your legs and lossen the lock nut. It doesn't take much. I then installed the AAC blackout

Chew, 17 looks good in all the pictures! Your dog looks awesome to; he's like "It's to get a Geissele bro" ahaha! Looks like Chabot am I right? I took pic at Chabot as well, also do you notice a difference with the flash hider vs the comp?

Last edited by NatetheGr8; 05-15-2016 at 7:10 AM..
Old 05-15-2016, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

The 16 uses a crush washer instead of a lock nut.
Old 05-15-2016, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGr8 View Post
Chew, 17 looks good in all the pictures! Your dog looks awesome to; he's like "It's to get a Geissele bro" ahaha! Looks like Chabot am I right? I took pic at Chabot as well, also do you notice a difference with the flash hider vs the comp?
Thanks ! I'm lookin for the best deal on the geisselle as we speak ! 280$ is the best deal I can find ... I noticed the flash hider has a more lateral pop when firing compared to the more straight back recoil of the comp
Old 05-15-2016, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks ! I'm lookin for the best deal on the geisselle as we speak ! 280$ is the best deal I can find ... I noticed the flash hider has a more lateral pop when firing compared to the more straight back recoil of the comp
Thanks that's great feedback! So it's noticeable to point you can describe it like you did but is it still negligible when it comes to follow shots or getting back on target?
Old 05-15-2016, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah it's not bad. I just got a firmer grip on her and held her nose down. I really like the mk17 look so Ima run the AAC for now but I might get a sure fire for her down the road
Old 05-15-2016, 9:53 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
I believe the post was about a SCAR 16 which uses a crush washer not a lock nut. See post #202.

EDIT: Oh, Tonyxcom caught that already. Good man.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-15-2016 at 10:10 AM..
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
Agreed, and if there were any "improvements," I would guess an updated trigger module to accept a wider variety of magazines.

Aside from that, I don't think FN is working on anything. As is, the rifle is nearly perfect, IMO.
If they could find a way to lengthen the front rails 3 inches just past the gas block would be nice. But if it changes the balance of the rifle much...forget it.

I don't care about using Pmags or DPMS mags, but a better trigger would be nice.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If they could find a way to lengthen the front rails 3 inches just past the gas block would be nice. But if it changes the balance of the rifle much...forget it.

I don't care about using Pmags or DPMS mags, but a better trigger would be nice.
I was able to handle one with an MREX system mounted, and in my opinion, it did change the balance substantially, but then again, I don't use full extension of my support arm, so my opinion is subjective. Personally, to offset the balance, I would have to shorten the barrel.

Beyond the ergonomic standpoint, how end-users mount 4oz torches and 8oz PEQ's forward of the gas block, completely unbalancing the rifle, exceeds my comprehension. In my opinion, there's nothing worse, or more fatiguing, than a front-heavy rifle.

As for the proprietary magazines, they don't bother me either, but good grief, they are definitely heavy.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Chewy, I was almost certain that I was the only guy on the planet who runs a stand-alone RMR.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
Chewy, I was almost certain that I was the only guy on the planet who runs a stand-alone RMR.
Does this count?

Ran it with my 17 in a class recently. After a bunch of rounds, two/one handed shooting or malfunction drills and a whole lot of fun it looked like this.

Holster marks are only on the gas fouling and RMR was used and abused on some nearby barriers(wood and concrete) along with the holster itself.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Wanna sell that ^^^^ let me know
Old 05-15-2016, 12:13 PM

Definitely although I'm certain I won't be selling it ever.
Old 05-15-2016, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

How many of you guys are planning on buying the FN 20" barrel assembly? I have that on my list. I want to have the foam cut out on my Pelican case for it so I can do the barrel swap at the range for long distance shooting.
Old 05-15-2016, 8:15 PM

I just made my own barrel with a krieger stainless blank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2016, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.hosey9 View Post
I just made my own barrel with a krieger stainless blank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
For accuracy the stainless barrel is nice and also that you can get a more optimal twist rate. Kreiger can do all the work to the barrel like profiling, cutting the threads, but will it cost and be less trouble to buy the FN 20" barrel assembly? K.hosey9 do you plan on switching between the 16 and 20" barrels? Does the gas block have to different to work with the 20"?