Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Glad that things turned around since my first comment and now there's lots of VEPR love going on in here!

FiveSeven what muzzle brake is that big thing? Never seen that before
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Griffin Armament (with blast shield ).
Old 06-01-2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthippus View Post
Why the hate for the VEPR? The VEPR is easily the best one of the list.

More accurate than the other rifles mentioned and more robust as well. Also, there are more aftermarket parts.

That said, a 16" barrel in .308 is, as others have mentioned, lost potential. The .308 shines in longer barrels, with a MINIMUM of 18".
Depends on your definition of shining in longer barrels. Most ammunition will lose less than 50 fps at the muzzle from being 2 inches shorter. Unless you're regularly pushing the limits of the cartridge, you're not going to notice that difference.
Old 06-02-2017, 7:36 AM

Heh, when this question came up for me around October last year I decided to pull out all the stops for an AR10.

POF .308 Gen 4 Bronze with the 16.5" barrel set up (14.5" bbl + 2" brake).

It is quite possibly the single most accurate rifle I own. The first range trip dropped five into 1" at 100, with factory federal blue box 150's. My second group was with a 180 Seirra and even with a low velocity of 2350 it grouped in the sub 3/4" range and range steel to 600 yards out at Angeles Ranges.

I call it my "California **** You" rifle. Yeah, I've already pined the stock and have grips on order. It's all part of Cali Life.
Old 06-02-2017, 9:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Another vote for the M1A Scout.
I have A Smith built Bush rifle that's the same size as the Scout and its very handy and accurate to at least 500 yards
Old 06-02-2017, 9:58 PM

Get a 23" VERP......"reach out and touch someone".

Old 06-03-2017, 6:40 PM

I've owned a PTR and an FAL of the choices listed. The PTR kicks more than the FAL and the factory trigger is crap tastic. It's also hard on brass in case you're a reloader. The FAL with a longer barrel was extremely pleasant to shoot. Honestly liked that rifle a lot.

The m1A is on my short list and is an excellent rifle. Highly recommended. I prefer the wooden stock classic look. But either way, they're a great choice.

1. The FAL DSA SA58 is excellent.
2. The m1A is also a great option.

Didn't care for the PTR much.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 06-03-2017, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
I've owned a PTR and an FAL of the choices listed. The PTR kicks more than the FAL and the factory trigger is crap tastic. It's also hard on brass in case you're a reloader. The FAL with a longer barrel was extremely pleasant to shoot. Honestly liked that rifle a lot.

The m1A is on my short list and is an excellent rifle. Highly recommended. I prefer the wooden stock classic look. But either way, they're a great choice.

1. The FAL DSA SA58 is excellent.
2. The m1A is also a great option.

Didn't care for the PTR much.
I agree with the PTR / FAL assessment...I'd also mention superior ergonomics with the FAL and the reality that they can be a bit addictive.

The M1A is a great gun...not so much one from Springfield but I was patient and waited for a Polytech and am glad I did. I figure you're either part of the problem or part of the solution...that said, imo Springfield Armory can simply bite the big one...

Springfield capitulates in Illinois

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

Last edited by -hanko; 06-04-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Old 06-09-2017, 7:20 AM

ended up going with a 18" scout in fde
Old 06-09-2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeair777 View Post
appreciate the input! ive had alot of people telling me to stay clear of the vepr. im thinking the socom or scout is gonna be my choice
I have been looking at the VEPR in 762x54. This thread is maybe the only place I have seen a negative on the VEPR. Is there something I should know?

JOHN 15:13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Last edited by Mach O Melvin; 06-09-2017 at 7:31 AM..
Old 06-09-2017, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I know you said you went M1a, and that's a great choice. BUT VEPR JUST BECAUSE

Old 06-09-2017, 8:58 AM

I love my m1a scout
I love both PTRs
I have the S308, and VEPRs 21.8"
No FAL though. I also have an armalite 13.5 3 gun in 308 (full 16 with brake)

Out of all of them, I'd go with the PTR. But I haven't shot the scout yet or that would be my go to.

I'd say go with 18 over 16
Old 06-09-2017, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
ended up going with a 18" scout in fde
Great choice. All the other guns mentioned are great alternatives, but for us in California, the M1A is easily the most practical and functional semi-auto 308 we can get right now.

It's a robust, reliable, and accurate rifle based on a proven design. Dont have to deal with BB AW issues, featureless grip fins, break open reloading, or any of that crap.

Just insert mag, chamber round, and shoot... Rinse Repeat.

Any pics?
Old 06-09-2017, 8:05 PM

I think the Browning BAR MK 3 DBM (detachable box magazine) will also be an awesome option once it actually releases. It's lighter then any M1A, has a fluted 18 barrel, and is legal in all 50 states. The link with all the specs are below. I check the internet every week to see if anyone has it in stock yet. Best of all, will probably cost less than M1As.
http://www.browning.com/products/fir...-magazine.html
Old 06-09-2017, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I was in the wholesale/retail firearms business for many years---got the opportunity to own and/or shoot most every .308/7.62 rifle made (except for the very most recent)---buy 'em---take 'em out the door right now (AKA: the good old days)---I personally would not own any 16-18" 308 unless I absolutely needed the smallest for storage space issues. The muzzle-blast is just way too severe---no fun to shoot at all! My favorite would be the standard length FAL---very pleasant to shoot...
Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 PM

getting her out of jail tomorrow! will put some pics up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
Great choice. All the other guns mentioned are great alternatives, but for us in California, the M1A is easily the most practical and functional semi-auto 308 we can get right now.

It's a robust, reliable, and accurate rifle based on a proven design. Dont have to deal with BB AW issues, featureless grip fins, break open reloading, or any of that crap.

Just insert mag, chamber round, and shoot... Rinse Repeat.

Any pics?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
getting her out of jail tomorrow! will put some pics up
Clean it, grease it, slap on a web sling, snap in for a week or so, and then get ready.. to..GO!
Old 06-21-2017, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

The problem with a FAL will be fixing the magazine in place according to the new standard. Tall order, and no one seems to be developing anything to that end. Featureless is impractical. If you can get it done, though, it's an option worth considering since it can be loaded with chargers. You'd have to go with the 436mm barrel, though (almost 17.2"), as anything under 17" tends to have issues with that design.

M-14 and BM-59 with conventional stocks and no offending muzzle devices are options. With the BM-59 you can go down to 17.3" on the barrel, IIRC. Use one of the Standard Parts E brakes designed for the BM-59E model. A Shuff Mini-G is even shorter (16" barrel, I think) and you can get it set up to use either BM-59 or M-14 mags. M-14 mags are better as BM-59 ten-rounders are practically unobtainable. 20-rounders are almost all you ever see for sale, although if you find one ten rounder, you can still load with chargers if you get an off-list BM-59 model or have one built with a charger guide. A Mini-G with the pistol-gripped or folding BM-59 stock (assuming it doesn't bring you below the minimum length for AW status) retaining the use of en bloc clips in 7.62X51 is not a bad option, either.

There are some decent featureless or fixed-mag options, it seems, for ARs, so an AR-10 of some sort is also worth considering.

There really aren't any other options out there if you want something reasonably modern, capable of using barrels in the vicinity of your desired length, and which can be maintained in a practical configuration, which is typically not the case for fixed-mag rifles and often not the case for featureless rifles.

Now, if you don't care about practicality and it's just a range toy, the options are much greater.
Old 06-22-2017, 1:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
The problem with a FAL will be fixing the magazine in place according to the new standard. Tall order, and no one seems to be developing anything to that end. Featureless is impractical. If you can get it done, though, it's an option worth considering since it can be loaded with chargers. You'd have to go with the 436mm barrel, though (almost 17.2"), as anything under 17" tends to have issues with that design..
Two things,

First,
My FAL (STG58) came with a fixed mag (no bullet button) and a charger guide top cover.
The fixed mag was accomplished with a small bead of welding rod melted inside the magwell where the mag release would plunge if the bead were not there.
I long ago removed the bead and replaced it with a conventional Raddlock.
My other FAL (OSW) is featureless (fin grip, fixed stock, fake flash hider, pinned welded) and it has no practical hinderances vs. my M1A.
[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 06-22-2017, 4:50 AM

Love watching the tennis matches that go on here typical FORD vs. CHEVY stuff. OP - I'd say look at the socom, or scout because (1) They are def in your price range, (2) have a great deal of positive feedback for accuracy and reliability and (3) maybe most importantly, steers clear of your state's silly laws for an assault rifle. (I say your state because, I left for all the reason you'd consider leaving).

And may I say, I don't currently own any of the platforms mentioned. Have owned several different AR308 platforms, but don't anymore, not for anything they did, or didn't do, just not a real need for me...other then that damn disease always whispering in my ear, telling me I need something else...something more..
Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! - Patrick Henry
Old 06-22-2017, 3:05 PM

in CA you gotta go with the M1A