Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 10:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default After AZ, what states to get?

What is the best bang for your buck non-resident CCWs?

I think Idaho nonresident enhanced is next.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:10 PM

I only have California right now, but I'm going for Florida non-resident since I'm originally from there and have family that I visit. That gives me Nevada, Utah, and a whole lot more.

Check it out. The image below is for folks with California CCWs and a Florida non-resident CCW...

Choose your own states and look at the maps here.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
". . . arguing around here (or much of anywhere, really) accomplishes nothing."
--from a CG Veteran Member
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
I only have California right now, but I'm going for Florida non-resident since I'm originally from there and have family that I visit. That gives me Nevada, Utah, and a whole lot more.

Check it out. The image below is for folks with California CCWs and a Florida non-resident CCW...

Choose your own states and look at the maps here.

I'm sorry, but Idaho nonresident enhanced gives you that plus Washington, Minnesota and New Hampshire. However, you do lose Michigan...

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 06-08-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Old 06-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
I'm sorry, but Idaho nonresident enhanced gives you that plus Washington, Minnesota and New Hampshire. However, you do lose Michigan...

Good to know.

What involved in getting that license? What's the cost, time? Do they accept training certificates from California CCW holders?

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
". . . arguing around here (or much of anywhere, really) accomplishes nothing."
--from a CG Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2017, 6:39 AM

Here's classes in California.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=212
Old 06-11-2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
What is the best bang for your buck non-resident CCWs?

I think Idaho nonresident enhanced is next.
What state are you a resident of and do you have a permit from that state as it's a requirement for the Idaho Enhanced permit.

If you are a Kaliforniastan resident, a CA LTC will obviously get you CA and also add Michigan as they have "universal recognition" of all other state permits, however they do not honor non-resident permits. That CA LTC will also enable you to get the Idaho Enhanced permit which will add Washington & Minnesota.

After CA, AZ & Idaho Enhanced, no other permit will gain you more than one state! New Hampshire will add Pennsylvania as I believe NH is the only non-resident permit that will work for PA as the previous criminal PA AG had re-written almost all of their reciprocity agreements to exclude non-resident permits, but NH got missed! And PA does not honor the CA LTC.

Florida will add Florida, since FL does not honor non-resident permits and the FL reciprocity statute is a non-starter for Kaliforniastan since they honor NO other state permits.

Oregon will add Oregon and Connecticut will add Connecticut. By the way, both OR and CT do NOT honor any permits issued by any other state. Some Oregon Sheriff's have a "shall-issue" policy, CT is statutorily "may-issue" however current policy is de facto "shall-issue" until that changes on a political whim.

If you own real estate in South Carolina you can obtain a SC permit since they do not honor non-resident permits or the CA LTC.

So eight permits (AZ, CA, CT, FL, ID, NH, OR, SC,) get you 42 states. You will NOT have HI, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI and ALL seven of these states do NOT honor any other state permits. Plus you will not have Colorado as they do not honor non-resident permits or the CA LTC and do not issue non-resident permits.

This is the optimal strategy for 42 states if you live in CA and have a CA LTC. Start with the Arizona non-resident and build from there as needed.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-11-2017 at 2:09 AM..
Old 06-11-2017, 1:41 AM

Quote:
That map was built using permits for CA and FL and the CA LTC provides for Michigan. New Hampshire is now Constitutional Carry so really not an issue, however the NH permit is needed for carry in Pennsylvania if desired.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-11-2017 at 1:45 AM..
Old 06-11-2017, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did discover idaho's requirements after I read this thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1341742

Then I realized Mag+1 has their ca ccw.

So after AZ, perhaps Florida is the best? Of course CA would be ideal.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 06-11-2017 at 2:37 PM..
Old 06-17-2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
I did discover idaho's requirements after I read this thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1341742

Then I realized Mag+1 has their ca ccw.

So after AZ, perhaps Florida is the best? Of course CA would be ideal.
Are you just throwing random states out here? Did you even read my post?

You failed to answer the question about your residency, are you a CA resident and if so, can you get a CA LTC? The answers to these questions are significant in regards to proper answers here.

What are your objectives and what states do you need?

In regards to Florida, since you already have an Arizona CWP and assuming you are a CA resident....then Florida adds NO other states other than Florida. And the only reason Florida even adds Florida is the fact they do NOT honor non-resident permits, even though AZ-FL already have reciprocity.

Now if you are planning on moving to Arizona, you will then have a resident permit and Florida will be a moot point. This will also be the case if you move to a state where you can obtain a resident permit and that state has reciprocity with Florida. Otherwise get Florida ONLY if you need/want Florida because it will add no other states.
Old 06-17-2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
What state are you a resident of and do you have a permit from that state as it's a requirement for the Idaho Enhanced permit.

If you are a Kaliforniastan resident, a CA LTC will obviously get you CA and also add Michigan as they have "universal recognition" of all other state permits, however they do not honor non-resident permits. That CA LTC will also enable you to get the Idaho Enhanced permit which will add Washington & Minnesota.

After CA, AZ & Idaho Enhanced, no other permit will gain you more than one state! New Hampshire will add Pennsylvania as I believe NH is the only non-resident permit that will work for PA as the previous criminal PA AG had re-written almost all of their reciprocity agreements to exclude non-resident permits, but NH got missed! And PA does not honor the CA LTC.

Florida will add Florida, since FL does not honor non-resident permits and the FL reciprocity statute is a non-starter for Kaliforniastan since they honor NO other state permits.

Oregon will add Oregon and Connecticut will add Connecticut. By the way, both OR and CT do NOT honor any permits issued by any other state. Some Oregon Sheriff's have a "shall-issue" policy, CT is statutorily "may-issue" however current policy is de facto "shall-issue" until that changes on a political whim.

If you own real estate in South Carolina you can obtain a SC permit since they do not honor non-resident permits or the CA LTC.

So eight permits (AZ, CA, CT, FL, ID, NH, OR, SC,) get you 42 states. You will NOT have HI, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI and ALL seven of these states do NOT honor any other state permits. Plus you will not have Colorado as they do not honor non-resident permits or the CA LTC and do not issue non-resident permits.

This is the optimal strategy for 42 states if you live in CA and have a CA LTC. Start with the Arizona non-resident and build from there as needed.
One modification to this post IF you are a CA resident and can obtain a CA LTC. Get the Florida permit instead of Arizona as stated above. I only used Arizona in my post because the OP already had an Arizona CWP. Replace Arizona with Florida for the optimal path here!

Florida does not include Wisconsin like AZ does, however the CA LTC enables acquisition of the Idaho Enhanced permit which also adds Wisconsin in addition to WA & MN as stated above. This eliminates the need to "add" the Florida permit as I previously posted. Thus the 42 state carry can be accomplished with seven permits as opposed to eight. You just drop Arizona from my previous scenario and lose nothing.

Thus, CA LTC + Florida non-resident + Idaho Enhanced = 38 states, with the other four state options provided (CT, NH, OR, SC) to get to 42 states.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-17-2017 at 2:49 AM..
Old 06-17-2017, 2:32 AM

Now for us Kaliforniastan residents who CAN NOT obtain a CA LTC here is our optimal permit scenario:

So having no CA LTC loses us both CA & MI and there is currently NO other way to obtain carry in these states. And no CA LTC also disqualifies us for the Idaho Enhanced permit, losing us MN, WA, WI.

We can replace these three states with two permits. Nevada for Minnesota and Utah for Washington & Wisconsin

Thus, FL + NV + UT = 36 states with the four other state options of CT, NH, OR, SC to get to 40 states with seven permits.

You will NOT have HI, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI and ALL seven of these states do NOT honor any other state permits. Plus you will not have Colorado as they do not honor non-resident permits. And with no CA LTC, no CA or MI.

Final note here. If you don't need/want carry in Florida, you can substitute the Arizona CWP for Florida in the scenario above and ONLY lose Florida.

Thus, AZ + NV + UT = 35 states.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-17-2017 at 2:53 AM..
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Doesn't matter. MI recognizes CAs permit.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 06-17-2017, 4:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Are you just throwing random states out here? Did you even read my post?

You failed to answer the question about your residency, are you a CA resident and if so, can you get a CA LTC? The answers to these questions are significant in regards to proper answers here.

What are your objectives and what states do you need?

In regards to Florida, since you already have an Arizona CWP and assuming you are a CA resident....then Florida adds NO other states other than Florida. And the only reason Florida even adds Florida is the fact they do NOT honor non-resident permits, even though AZ-FL already have reciprocity.

Now if you are planning on moving to Arizona, you will then have a resident permit and Florida will be a moot point. This will also be the case if you move to a state where you can obtain a resident permit and that state has reciprocity with Florida. Otherwise get Florida ONLY if you need/want Florida because it will add no other states.
I do not have CA LTC.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Doesn't matter. MI recognizes CAs permit.
Michigan has "universal recognition" and honors all other state permits, however they do not honor non-resident permits and do not issue MI non-resident permits. So a Kaliforniastan resident has only ONE option to carry in Michigan and that is to obtain a CA LTC and if you can't, like most of us here, no carry for you!

Note: OP now states he does NOT have a CA LTC. Not sure if CA resident or can obtain a CA LTC.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-18-2017 at 1:05 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 1:02 AM

Quote:
I do not have CA LTC.
So are you a CA resident, can you obtain a CA LTC?

If you are a Kaliforniastan resident and can't obtain a CA LTC, see POST #11 above!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Now for us Kaliforniastan residents who CAN NOT obtain a CA LTC here is our optimal permit scenario:

So having no CA LTC loses us both CA & MI and there is currently NO other way to obtain carry in these states. And no CA LTC also disqualifies us for the Idaho Enhanced permit, losing us MN, WA, WI.

We can replace these three states with two permits. Nevada for Minnesota and Utah for Washington & Wisconsin

Thus, FL + NV + UT = 36 states with the four other state options of CT, NH, OR, SC to get to 40 states with seven permits.

You will NOT have HI, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI and ALL seven of these states do NOT honor any other state permits. Plus you will not have Colorado as they do not honor non-resident permits. And with no CA LTC, no CA or MI.

Final note here. If you don't need/want carry in Florida, you can substitute the Arizona CWP for Florida in the scenario above and ONLY lose Florida.

Thus, AZ + NV + UT = 35 states.
Note that the only way to get a SC non resident permit is to own property in SC.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So are you a CA resident, can you obtain a CA LTC?

If you are a Kaliforniastan resident and can't obtain a CA LTC, see POST #11 above!
It would be nice if we knew where he was so we ca understand why he can't get a permit.

Quote:
So a Kaliforniastan resident has only ONE option to carry in Michigan and that is to obtain a CA LTC and if you can't, like most of us here, no carry for you!
There is another option. Move to a CA county that issues. The vast majority of counties in CA do issue, you just ned to find a way to move to one of them.

The below map shows what counties issue and how readily they issue. It's a bit dated since SLO is now really light green. Next update coming in July.

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 06-18-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHAman View Post
Note that the only way to get a SC non resident permit is to own property in SC.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
As stated in Post #6:

"If you own real estate in South Carolina you can obtain a SC permit since they do not honor non-resident permits or the CA LTC."
Old 06-19-2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
It would be nice if we knew where he was so we ca understand why he can't get a permit. (Exactly! NO info from the OP)

There is another option. Move to a CA county that issues. The vast majority of counties in CA do issue, you just ned to find a way to move to one of them.

The below map shows what counties issue and how readily they issue. It's a bit dated since SLO is now really light green. Next update coming in July.
That map is a great reference.

My statement is still correct, the only way for a Kaliforniastan resident to carry in Michigan is to have a CA LTC. There are NO other options, however as you pointed out, there ARE options to acquire the CA LTC!

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-19-2017 at 2:15 AM..
Old 06-19-2017, 9:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm in San Bernardino County. But I should be moving by 2019-2020 out of state.

I feel by the time I get a CA LTC, I would be about ready to move. Plus the pistols I would list, I need to do caliber corrections on them.

So my question was what would be the next out of state LTC to get after AZ?