Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-14-2018, 9:58 PM

Default Would your agency check a S/N?

Is running a S/N against policy if you don't give out any specific info on ownership? Just a straight up reported stolen yes or no check. If it isn't against policy would someone be willing to do it over the phone? I'm not actually interested in it myself but it came up in another thread and I am curious.

Last edited by Monkeywrench; 07-14-2018 at 10:00 PM..
Old 07-15-2018, 6:23 AM

Not sure you can run it to check.
Because if it is stolen..there is an auto response as to if it is in possession. If not then it raises questions as to why are you running a stolen firearm that is not in possession.

Not worth the troubles from CLETS. DOJ would be investigating for misuse and not worth losing job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 7:33 AM

as stated above. I had a revolver that was left to me by my grandfather when he passed. I didn't know where he acquired the revolver. I called my local station and spoke to an officer and explained the situation and asked if they could run it. they said they could, but if it came back stolen, that I would have to surrender it. they ran it and it came back with no hits so I still have it. I was willing to surrender it, if it came back with a hit on AFS. Your friend may try calling his local station if he is in a similar situation. Detectives are usually the most helpful. They may say they can't do it, but couldn't hurt to try. good luck
Old 07-15-2018, 11:40 AM

We don't like to do that with firearms/vehicles unless it is in person for the reasons stated; that way if it is stolen property we can return it to its rightful owner (and even if the current possessor had nothing to do with the crime they may have good information to help us track down the thief).
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM

If you were in Orange County I might be able to make it work but I would have to consult my Sgt first. I wouldn't do for someone so far away though. The basic reason, as stated, is I would need to be able to confiscate it if it came back as stolen.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This is the other end of the rope, but maybe run your AFS report to see what the DOJ shows registered to you?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AFSPrivateCitizen(1).pdf (2.07 MB, 61 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-15-2018, 1:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My agency did not have a stated policy on the question, but the general practice was that we would run Serial Number checks, but only when the article being run was in the presence of the deputy making the check.

If the article returned as stolen then it was seized so that it could be returned to the owner. The person bring it to our attention would be thanked for their assistance in recovering stolen property, and interviewed to further the investigation as to who stole it.

To simply refuse the service on all grounds would deprive us of an opportunity to recover some stolen items.

We would not run items that were not present before us. The idea is that it would be too easy for the actual thief to use our services to determine if their theft had been reported.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Ditto on what Rick said above.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 07-30-2018, 3:22 AM

Like Rick's department, mine doesn't have a written policy on this eitehr. Our general practice is to run vehicles and weapons over the phone when citizens call the Comm. center and ask. The only information we are allowed to provide is whether it is stolen or not. Same goes for a security company that might find a suspicious vehicle on their property - we can run the plate and verify it isn't stolen before they call for a tow truck to remove it from their private property, but we can't provide registration or owner info.

In the interest of potentially recovering stolen property, I refuse to provide an answer one way or another unless the caller provides the location where the gun or car is, and their name and phone number. If they refuse, I do too.

Last edited by bk23103; 07-30-2018 at 3:26 AM..
Old 07-30-2018, 3:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^^ Best answer.When you put in system Your ID goes with it so if stolen they ask do you have this firearm in custody. So I don;t know any that would run it. Why do it. No upside for leos.
Old 08-19-2018, 4:29 PM

Thank you everyone for all the great replies.