Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-21-2013, 7:51 PM

Talking South Bay/Peninsula Agencies' Policies regarding Issue Duty Weapon and/or Options

Hello,

I am planning on self-sponsoring through an Academy in 2014 and would like to know what local agencies' policies are?

What is the issue duty weapon?

Do you have options in caliber or manufacturer?

Are there restrictions on Single Action firearms like 1911's?

If you reply, please note the agency you are referring to.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 9:00 PM

There are not too many agencies that allow the single action like a 1911..unless you are a very special unit..you should look into the agencies that you want to go to and see what their standard sidearm is..
I don't think that too many academies would allow a 1911 platform in the class..most classes are run using a DA/SA semi auto..like a Sig/Beretta/and the safe action Glocks..those are the most popular..
Old 10-21-2013, 9:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would suggest contacting the few departments you think you would apply to on the non-emergency line and asking...you can always explain if they ask you why you need to know.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Every department is different on what they will or will not allow. Mostly it is the issued gun only. There are a few exceptions in smaller agencies. I can't recall anyone on the Peninsula that allowed a 1911.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Other than to satisfy your idle curiosity, I wouldn't worry about it. You are self sponsoring: You honestly have no clue where you will wind up working. If you want to create a list of each and every agency in Central and Northern California please don't think I am trying to talk you out of it; but like I said, I wouldn't worry about it.

I can't think of any agency of the top off my head that does not issue you a firearm (though many here on the left coast allow you obviously purchase your own, different model which is allowed by policy). One of the absolute last things that would cause me to NOT choose an agency would be their choice of handgun (I am unaware of any law enforcement agency, though they may exist, that does not issue its street cops a "modern" semiautomatic handgun). Personally, I would PREFER to work for an agency with standardized handguns/calibers (SWAT or secret squirrel units being exempted).

Last edited by CBR_rider; 10-21-2013 at 10:29 PM..