Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-02-2018, 4:51 PM

Default Galil Barrel

I picked up a Galil ARM kit from Apex last year with a cheapo GM $40 1:9 barrel. Unfortunately, the barrel already had the extractor cut done and 2 handguard cuts done to it. In the same location, but at 12 and 6 o’clock, and they’re about 1/8” too far back.

My initial thought was to weld the HG slots up. But, Im very reluctant, due to the probability of warping the barrel. So I decided to forget about this barrel and just wait for a decent barrel to hit the market...

The only other barrels currently available at a decent price are 1:12, Id backburner this project indefinitely before using one of those though. Just not interested in pigeon holing my ammo choices on a +1k build...

Im now thinking of leaving the 2 slots as is, and adding a 3rd slot forward of the other 2, and putting it together as a Vektor R4 clone. The Vektor has a longer hanguard...

However, the concern is the 3 HG cuts on the barrel and the accuracy the barrel will provide when all finished up? All these slots in such close proximity to each other can’t be good?

Anyone have any experience with a barrel like this? Please let me know how you dealt with it, and how the accuracy has been.

How about pressing a steel sleeve over the slots to prevent movement?

Attachment 712150

Last edited by Oldmandan; 09-16-2018 at 4:33 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 5:49 AM
Veteran Member

Ive been wondering about parts for those kits too. Would be interested in what you find.

btw - https://lewisandblack.com/u-s-manufa...specd-barrels/

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 06-05-2018 at 5:55 AM..
Old 06-05-2018, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
Thanks, Im aware. I refuse to pay $255 + shipping for a custom barrel in 4140 though... they’re paying Jeff Miller to turn those GM blanks. IMHO, just too much for what it is.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

If its stainless, when that weld cools and shrinks, it will pull pretty hard and bend that barrel.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why couldn't you have the HG slot cut in the correct position? I've changed out an AK gas block on a Saiga conversion and the pin locations were just over a diameter off. I drilled new holes and installed the gas block as normal...gun works just fine....

Gustatus Similis Pullus
Old 06-05-2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfan66 View Post
Why couldn't you have the HG slot cut in the correct position? I've changed out an AK gas block on a Saiga conversion and the pin locations were just over a diameter off. I drilled new holes and installed the gas block as normal...gun works just fine....
The correct position is 1/8” forward of the current slot. The current slot is about .2” wide... not possible without welding...

Old 06-05-2018, 8:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
The correct position is 1/8” forward of the current slot. The current slot is about .2” wide... not possible without welding...
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure how wide the notch was. Yeah, looks like a new barrel is the only economical option.

Gustatus Similis Pullus
Old 06-06-2018, 9:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes it is.
Since you need to move the slot FORWARD on the barrel, it's ok to just cut the new slot and leave the remainder of the old slot where it is.
The handguard retainer will NOT move rearward because the handguard and springs are pushing it FORWARD against the new slot.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-07-2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Yes it is.
Since you need to move the slot FORWARD on the barrel, it's ok to just cut the new slot and leave the remainder of the old slot where it is.
The handguard retainer will NOT move rearward because the handguard and springs are pushing it FORWARD against the new slot.
You don’t see issue with accuracy of the barrel, with all these cuts in the same area on the barrel?

Old 06-07-2018, 3:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You don’t see issue with accuracy of the barrel, with all these cuts in the same area on the barrel?
And how much accuracy do you think a Galil is going to produce in the first place??
Old 06-07-2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
And how much accuracy do you think a Galil is going to produce in the first place??
Not sure how to respond to your question... obviously, anyone who sink $1200-1300 bucks into a build, isn’t looking to use a barrel thats a POS...

Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's a military autoloader, not a precision bolt rifle.
If you are only going to be shooting match ammo, you should probably be shooting a heavy barreled bolt rifle.

if you are shooting ball ammo, the notches in the barrel won't be a factor in the groups you get.
If the groups are important to you, you need to get rid of the gas piston as that's the biggest detriment to accuracy the rifle has.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-08-2018, 3:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not sure how to respond to your question... obviously, anyone who sink $1200-1300 bucks into a build, isn’t looking to use a barrel thats a POS...
The amount of money you dump in a build has zero to do with the accuracy you see on paper or steel. it's the quality of the parts and the quality of the person putting it together.

That said certain designs are just more accurate than others like Randall said.

And if you're that concerned buy a new barrel and be done with it. $1200-$1300 build is cheep. but it's a $1200-$1300 build with a $40 cheater bar of a barrel that you wanted to weld up.

Now heres the deal. if done with a tig welder and a guy that know wtf he's doing you can weld that barrel up and recut it with no noticeable change in accuracy. I'm not going to tell you how it's done or why it can be done. I won't argue the method but lets just say it take a bit more than just laying a bead down. it's not rocket science.

if it were me I'd tig braze it and be done. a little prep work to be sure nothing gets to hot in the process a little post work to be sure everything is fine once cooled but thats it. it's knowing wtf you're doing what you’re working on and what the heat will do to it and how to mitigate the issue. but what i charge you could buy a new barrel. matter of fact I'd turn you one from a blank before I'd weld on one but thats not cheep either. My turned threaded chambered barrels start at $300 and that don't matter if it's going on a AK47 or a John Rigby & Sons London Best.

Last edited by kcstott; 06-08-2018 at 6:53 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 5:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
.... My turned threaded chambered barrels start at $300 and that don't matter if it's going on a AK47 or a John Rigby & Sons London Best.

You're crazy. The man specifically said a decent price. Everyone knows the standard calguns price for this work is a 12 pack of your favorite suds. Or Red Hook, because its crap and usually half price.
Old 06-08-2018, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

All the Galil had to do was 1 MOH. Minute of Hamas.
Old 06-08-2018, 6:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
All the Galil had to do was 1 MOH. Minute of Hamas.
Fully agree on both accounts.

The day I open a brick and mortar shop I will not be filling for non profit tax status. Right now the garage funds my personal projects and little else.
$40 barrel?? $40 wouldn’t even cover the cost of recrowning it.
We won’t get into the cost of a good drink, most here drink designer beer anyway and wouldn’t know a good beer if it bit them in the arse.

Last edited by kcstott; 06-08-2018 at 7:00 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If one small notch in the barrel doesn't effect accuracy, why would you think another would?

AK's have notches and holes all over the place...

One notch for the barrel pin. One for the Rear sight base. Two for the gas block. One for the hand guard retainer. Two for the front sight base, and a gas hole.

The Galil is a AK... Don't over think it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.