Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-27-2018, 3:54 PM

Default Machinist help? Willing to pay any reasonable fee to help me solve a problem please.

Short version; I'm hoping one of my fellow Calgunners, might be willing to take on a small machining project. I'm willing to pay any reasonable fee you might ask. Slightly longer version; This is will solve a problem I've had for years now.

Short Version;

What needs doing: In the images below you'll see a part which is a bayonet lug rail mount adaptor. This part is a commercial available product from CAA. It is a CAA TM16FA1.

Attachment 710456

Then the problem: Is that at this end, the 'throat' of the adaptor is too 'shallow', not deep enough along the 'Y' axis into the flat edge of the extrusion. Therefore it will not fit onto the lug on my rifle.

Attachment 710469

What needs doing is another 1/16", to the red line (3/64" would likely do it but. . . ) needs to be taken out of the bottom of the 'throat' of this cut in order for it to allow the bottom edge of the the lug on my rifle to slide onto the lug. The cut that needs making deeper only goes about halfway through the length of this piece.

Here's a photo of the other side.

Attachment 710458

There's a lot more of the 'meat' of the extrusion along this half of the extrusion. I mention this if there's any question about taking that much more out of that would compromise the overall piece.

If I've explained this well, is anyone willing to take on this task? If so please PM me. It a pretty small part, Easy to put in a padded envelope and post to you.

Yes, I did try one other commercially available product. It didn't fit either and was of clearly an inferior grade of aluminum compared to the CAA product.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 07-23-2018 at 8:31 PM..
Old 05-27-2018, 4:08 PM

That WAS the short version.

The slightly longer version of this is that this solves a problem I've had with this rifle I really like, where and how to mount a light?

I've made a bunch of tries. I'm a lefty and, because their rifle has a relatively short hand guard, that was how I like to set up lights, that was the one thing about this rifle that is not really optimal for me. Mounting the rifle at six o'clock, directly beneath bore line meant that my suppose hand wanted to land right on this list assembly I've come to prefer. As a workaround I tried 9 O'clock side mount, then I tried the 10:30, 45 degree mounts. That was better but still had a bad blind spot. That made it much harder for me to control/drive the rifle than even the 9 o'clock mounting point.

Accordingly, I came to the conclusion that I just don't like the blind spots created by any of the side mounts. Further, having the weight of the light directly beneath the bore of the rifle doesn't effect the overall feel/balance of the rifle the way the10:30, or even the 9 o'clock mounting points do.

So two years ago I decided I like the under the barrel mounting point and that was it. That optimized both the light and the overall fell/balance of the rifle. Lastly that placed my support hand directly behind the controls of the light. G. T. G.

But this rifle which I otherwise like very much has a short hand guard and a bayonet lug on the barrel. I'm a long armed guy as well. So I found out that folks made rail mount adaptors for bayonet lugs. Cool! Problem solved right? Wrong. So I bought one, then two if these mount adaptors hoping to solve this. Neither of them worked for exactly this same reason.

So I got frustrated with this seeming waste of time and money. I am only now circling back to this two plus years later.
The outcome I want to achieve is to be able to mount this light from the bottom of the bayonet lug on this rifle. I am open to any other suggestions anyone might offer?

Last edited by sfarchitect; 05-27-2018 at 4:30 PM..
Old 05-27-2018, 4:12 PM

seems like a 10-20 minute job on a basic mill, with 1/2 that time just picking a tool and clamping the part down.
as long as it can me rounded on the corners inside where you stop cutting.
if you don't find a volunteer, any machine shop could do it.
it am not a machinist and could do something that basic assuming i had the right t-cut or t-slot bit.
Old 05-27-2018, 4:42 PM

I believe you're correct

As Clint Eastwood once said; 'a man has got to know his limitations'. I am not a machinist. I have neither access to the tools, nor the skills to safely operate them if I did.

That said, even I thought; "with access to the right tool, this is five to eight minutes of set up, and like fifteen seconds of the tool actually operating. I'll bet someone one the 'gunsmithing' forum on CG will either have access to the right tool for this task. Or at least point me at someone who does."

This is just one of those little ongoing frustrations I'd like to rid myself of. This forum has helped me solve problems before. So I'm hoping that after posting this here, I could then post this part along with (?)$20-$25 and an enclosed postage paid, pre-addressed padded envelope to some fellow Calgunner. This just might solve this problem.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 05-27-2018 at 4:52 PM..
Old 05-27-2018, 7:38 PM

Looks like you could do this with a file in the time it would take to get it set-up in the mill.

Maybe take the majority of the material out with an angle grinder, and finish off with the file...

Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM

With all due respect, no sir. That is incorrect. I own one of the old top of the line, foot pedal operated Dremels. I am pretty handy with that tool as well. But that is simply not the correct tool for this task. This needs to be a consistent 1/16" deep cut. I am taking lot of metal out of this. That 1/16" cut needs to be within a channel that is what 3/8" wide. The cut needs to be 1.25" deep. This entire piece is 2-1/4" long by 3/4" tall by 7/8" wide. Sadly this is beyond my, or this tool's capabilities.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 05-27-2018 at 10:23 PM..
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
That said, even I thought; "with access to the right tool, this is five to eight minutes of set up, and like fifteen seconds of the tool actually operating.
HaHa, You must be an engineer. I always get a laugh when they know what it takes to machine something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
So I'm hoping that after posting this here, I could then post this part along with (?)$20-$25 and an enclosed postage paid, pre-addressed padded envelope to some fellow Calgunner. This just might solve this problem.
I can help you out. Obviously, your not in a huge hurry.
You need it deeper on the deeper side, but only halfway? Correct
As long as a radius is acceptable, shouldn't be a problem.

PM me if your interested. ($25)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 PM

Mill, or even a drill press with a milling vise and end mill bit. Easy.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 PM

it could be done with a dremel wand extension and the right bits, if this were a mcgyver sitch or it just had to be done with whatever you had.

you would just need to jig up the dremel to hold it in a fixed location at a fixed height from the table, and then you could run the part under the tool, lowering the dremel a little bit at a time, using a fence to control the part.

but that would be kind of desperate unless you enjoy a challenge, or you're filming one of those hillbilly reality shows.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Whomever you take this to, I would bring the other part with you so proper measurements can be taken and test fit can be attempted.

This will save you a second trip.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:31 PM

PM sent to 67Cuda. No big hurry. If I could have this part back by the end of June for a training I have to go to 4th of July weekend, I'm good. Thank you.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 05-27-2018 at 11:35 PM..
Old 05-28-2018, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Whomever you take this to, I would bring the other part with you so proper measurements can be taken and test fit can be attempted.

This will save you a second trip.
This is a good suggestion. I'm an hour away from you. Would take more coordination and effort on your part.
Old 05-28-2018, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Easy peasy with the right keyseat cutter.
Hopefully 'Cuda can help you out as he is probably closest.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Easy peasy with the right keyseat cutter.

Hopefully 'Cuda can help you out as he is probably closest.

I have a number of keyway cutters, plan B is a boring head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2018, 4:43 PM

Have you talked to Randall yet? The guy has done absolutely amazing work for me.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:51 PM

I posted this part off to 67cuda this AM. I think I'm good. Thank you all for the suggestions.