Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2012, 2:41 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Smile Official Foresthill clean up site - "The Quary" Finning Mill Rd

I recently visited one of my favorite spots to shoot and it was a disaster. The place is off of Finning Mill Rd in Foresthill, from Antelope it takes about an hour + to get there. I believe it is called "The Quary" and there is a ton of trash that can be hauled out of here. I can get a truck and some clean up tools, is there anyone else willing to help out with time and/or equipment?

Things I can provide -
(1) Truck
(2) Shovels
(1) Rake
Safety Vests
Coordinate dump service
Calguns gear for anyone who volunteers

__________________________________________________ _______

Here is what we are asking of you - Show up on January 19, 2013 bring yourself, whoever else you can dig up and any of the items listed below and give about 3-4 hours of your time. (If there is rain the backup date is Feb 2nd)

The meeting place will be where Finning Mill Road begins directly off of Foresthill Road. Check in here if you are interested and we will give official notices by PM a few weeks before the event. This is when we will finalize all the information like time and what everyone will be bringing.

Things Individuals can bring -
PPE- eye/ear protection, the rest will be provided.
Truck
Trailer
Tarp
Rope/tie downs
Wheel barrow
LARGE trash cans
Shovels
Rakes
Water
"Power" snacks: fruit, jerky, trail mix, etc.
Tables
Radios
Anybody with medical training or certified in CPR
Popups (if needed)

__________________________________________________ _______

I have contacted the forest service and most of the people are off until January 3rd. The information I did get is on my desk at work so I will have to add more info later. What I do know...

1. The Forrest Service does not get many volunteers and needs our help.

2. The Forrest Service requires everyone who volunteers to sign a waiver and go through a 10-15 min safety orientation. This makes sure everyone has workers comp insurance. Boots are also required, no sandals or tennies.

3. They will post signs letting people know we will be in the area to clean. This will let people know so they can come and help or so they can plan on shooting in another area. I have been told that they do not have it in the budget to completely close down the area but there is an alternate place to shoot that is a stones throw away from the area we will be focusing on.

4. We can use the local dump for the garbage but it is not in the budget for them to drop off a dumpster or "roll off". We will start with using the Foresthill Transfer station to dump at and as things progress we can look into containers.

5. The ranger may have a first aid kit in his truck and all participants are supposed to sign a form that he brings with him. The form is essentially saying we are working as volunteers for the forestry service for the day and this gives all signers medical insurance in case of an accident while working. (mentioned above but very important)

6. If there is something else that comes up like snow patrol the Rangers will not be on site during the clean up. They will do their best to coordinate with all local agencies but again...not in the budget.

Notice a theme here?? Low budget. One of the most beautiful places on Earth and there is no budget to keep it clean.

Things the Forrest service can provide
Hard Hats
Gloves
Trash bags
Free use of dump

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Tim

Last edited by Lazyme; 01-10-2013 at 9:23 AM..