Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-07-2018, 7:39 PM

Default DROS Start and Pick-Up Date vs. Roster Drop Date

Was in a store selling firearms today and overheard part of an interesting discussion. I couldn't hear it all and there was too much activity to get closer without being obvious. The best I could make out was...
  • Customer seriously interested in purchasing firearm, but claimed wouldn't have full funds until mid-January.
  • Employee claimed firearm (don't know which one) has roster expiration 1/1/19 and didn't know if company would renew.
  • Customer seeking options... This is where conversation was largely lost...

If they were to start the DROS on, say, December 26, pick-up date would be after Roster expiration; but, the 30 days for pick-up after DROS wouldn't expire until after "mid-January" (let's assume 1/15).

I don't know if this outfit would start DROS without the firearm being fully paid for. (I kinda doubt it.) But, let's say they do. Assuming the DROS was started prior to Roster expiration, can the FFL still deliver the firearm AFTER the firearm drops off the roster?

What impact might there be if the firearm was not fully paid for until the DROS pick-up date?

Or... Is it as simple as... Firearm must be fully paid for, DROS must be complete AND firearm must be picked-up prior to dropping off the Roster?

As I indicated, it got me curious and I thought it would be an interesting question. But, it could be something 'simple,' so I figured I'd ask.
Old 10-07-2018, 8:57 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I believe the DROS/Roster relationship is at the time of DROS submission - on Roster then, can be delivered if drops off during 10 day wait EXCEPT if it is removed by DOJ, not just drops off.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I believe the DROS/Roster relationship is at the time of DROS submission - on Roster then, can be delivered if drops off during 10 day wait EXCEPT if it is removed by DOJ, not just drops off.
This.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa
This
So... As long as the DROS was started prior to the expiration date, the firearm can be picked up after the expiration date - UNLESS - DOJ has otherwise 'removed' the firearm from the roster during the DROS period.

It would be interesting to know if the firearm would have to be completely paid for prior to the expiration date; even if the DROS was started. If it hadn't been, would DOJ consider the firearm to be still 'kept' or 'offered/exposed' for sale or does DOJ consider the 'firearm sale' to be complete once DROS has started?

As I said, I've got no dog in the hunt. I just thought it was an 'interesting' thought insofar as a potential 'grey area.'

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-08-2018, 8:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post

It would be interesting to know if the firearm would have to be completely paid for prior to the expiration date; even if the DROS was started. If it hadn't been, would DOJ consider the firearm to be still 'kept' or 'offered/exposed' for sale or does DOJ consider the 'firearm sale' to be complete once DROS has started?

DOJ doesn't care about the money. That's all civil. DROS = Dealer Record of Sale so that tells you what DOJ thinks.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 9:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What worry is there about a certain gun falling off the roster anyways? Unless a manufacturer announces it, no one knows till it’s to late.

Two years ago the Beretta PX 4 Storm appeared to drop off until it was renewed late. All rostered guns now have the same expiration date
Old 10-08-2018, 9:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The person involved thought they couldn't pick up if it falls off roster in 2019 after they've started DROS.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
The person involved thought they couldn't pick up if it falls off roster in 2019 after they've started DROS.
Yes! However the guy from the LGS told him that gun expires on the first. Im just pointing out that they all expire on the first
Old 10-08-2018, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hey we tell our lay a way customers this each year about this time. You never know what’s going to stay and what is gonna go. Or what goes and comes back a few weeks after the first.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

I remember buying a Colt Commander that was about to drop off roster 2 days before it did. I paid in full and did DROS and picked up after the gun dropped off. I always thought it had been that way? As long as you started DROS before it drops off is OK?

I think part of the confusion is with assault weapon stuff people are confusing the two situations. I remember when the last go around happened with that you had to pick up any soon to be banned guns before the law took effect Jan 1 so the guns had to be picked up by 12/31 11:59PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 AM
retired Goon

Penal Code 32015
(b)(3) If a purchaser has initiated a transfer of a handgun that is listed on the roster as not unsafe, and prior to the completion of the transfer, the handgun is removed from the roster of not unsafe handguns because of failure to pay the fee required to keep that handgun listed on the roster, the handgun shall be deliverable to the purchaser if the purchaser is not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing the handgun. However, if a purchaser has initiated a transfer of a handgun that is listed on the roster as not unsafe, and prior to the completion of the transfer, the handgun is removed from the roster pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 32020, the handgun shall not be deliverable to the purchaser.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-15-2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Penal Code 32015
(b)(3) If a purchaser has initiated a transfer of a handgun that is listed on the roster as not unsafe, and prior to the completion of the transfer, the handgun is removed from the roster of not unsafe handguns because of failure to pay the fee required to keep that handgun listed on the roster, the handgun shall be deliverable to the purchaser if the purchaser is not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing the handgun. However, if a purchaser has initiated a transfer of a handgun that is listed on the roster as not unsafe, and prior to the completion of the transfer, the handgun is removed from the roster pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 32020, the handgun shall not be deliverable to the purchaser.
Thanks.