Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 03-31-2018, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Last Line of Defense (LLOD) Holster Reviews - G19 & G42

I promised the guys over on arfcom a review of my LLOD holsters once I'd had a little bit of time to play with my second one. But even though I've escaped CA, I still want those of you who could get a CCW to be armed with the best info so I thought I'd share this here too.

Intro: First of all, I discovered Mike at LLOD through his youtube channel which is excellent. He does great reviews and is a devout Christian so I was happy to take a chance on his products. I ordered my G42 holster months ago and have been wearing it as my primary carry setup for most of the last year. I only ordered my G19 holster in mid Feb. Both holsters shipped within a month of ordering but be advised that Mike does run a custom, build to order business here so your holsters won't be shipping tomorrow.

Testing: In Utah, we are allowed to carry in colleges so I have this on me all day every day. I've been slowly losing weight for the last year (got divorced and gained some weight from that a few years ago). This holster was comfy even at my fattest. I'm 5'11" and at my largest was probably pushing 210lbs. It's just as comfy now as it was then. I would argue the reason for that is how easily it moves with your body, or by manually pushing it in either direction if you feel the need to. I will admit that I don't think the G19 would have been as comfy during my fatty days. But that's just nature of the beast, that much more gun would take up that much more real estate which would be pushing pudge into directions it wouldn't normally be forced into.

I can wear my G42 all day without any crotch or belly pain or visible red spots from the holster or gun digging into me. I can bend down to tie my shoes without an issue. I won't pretend "you forget the holsters even there" as that's asinine, but it doesn't get in the way. The G19 does bother me slightly when putting on my boots or picking up something that I dropped, but on the flip side it doesn't dig into me or leave red spots so in that respect it is like the G42. So I guess that for me, comfort with the G19 rig depends on how much I'm contracting my abs and squishing the holster/gun with my body. For driving, sitting, walking...etc it's a non-issue.

Bathroom visits always suck, but that's true with every holster ever invented. However, they suck a lot less with these. Using a urinal (or when I piss off my apartment balcony at night when I think I can get away with it ) is pretty simple. Just shift the holster to your right (or if you're a lefty and order a lefty version, to your left). I do have some goofy designer underwear that don't have dick holes so you gotta pull the elastic down in order to piss. That sucks ***, and sometimes if I'm in a hurry the underwear will ride up and around the holster if I don't manually tuck it behind while finishing up at the urinal. If you gotta **** though, then the G42 is the clear winner. And that is just cuz it's so much smaller and lighter than it can rest in my pants without falling out or flipping over and dropping my gun on a gross *** bathroom floor. I'm sure any guy here that's ever taken a dump in a public bathroom with a gun on him knows what I'm talking about. Anyways, if you have a bag, it's best to remove the entire holster and place it in the bag before having a seat.

Quality: The retention on the holsters is fantastic. I've had to retighten my G42 once now, which over about 8 months isn't bad imo. But I like retention to be nice and tight. Mike uses really high quality clips that are supposed to last a long time. I've yet to have any issues with either of these so I believe him. Replacing clips is $10 I think which is high but these are definitely better than the clips I've seen on other holsters. These holsters are fantastic and I'd put them up against anybody else's work without hesitation.

Customization:
Mike doesn't offer a lot of options, and you have to pick from the pre-selected options that he has available like the most commonly produced modern guns like VP9's, Sig 320's, M&P 2.0's, (and glocks obviously). If opting for light-bearing holsters your options are even more limited so be aware of that. But his options change over time so contact him as his options may have increased by the time you read this. He does offer other colors and camo patterns, but I just love the FDE.

Price: These are not cheap holsters. I won't give specifics, but I did notice a change in price between my two purchases. However, they are expensive compared to other options out there like the Sidecar. That can't be argued. Personally, I don't care though and thought they present a fantastic amount of value for the price.

Alright so enough talk, heres pics of both holsters with some more of my thoughts.

https://imgur.com/a/1IKTf
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 04-01-2018, 2:01 AM
Veteran Member

His handgun/magazine holsters comes with one belt clip vs most other makers who have two clips.

How do you like it with only one? Retention? Stability?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I had a TRex Sidecar and was not a fan of the double clip. The stability meant it wouldn't move with me. Not a pleasant holster to wear all day. Very much prefer single clip holsters. I originally worried about all the weight of my G19 setup on a single clip but it hasn't been an issue at all.

Retention is adjustable but thats a pretty standard feature for most holsters. The design and quality though are amazing and those LLOD doesn't share. I won't buy AIWB holsters from anyone else.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 04-04-2018, 6:22 PM

I also have the LLOD for G43 and really like it. As you said its super comfortable, less belly, the more comfortable it gets. The single clip is great since it allows the holster to swing side to side slightly preventing it for jabbing in. The only downside of the single clip is that you will need to move your belt buckle slightly to the side. I changed my clip to an Ulticlip which gave it a slimmer provide and works better when I wear a 1 belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk