Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:08 PM

Default Mueller 40X56 Target Scope - Need Help with Ring Height

Hello,

I am planning to install a Mueller 40x56 target scope on a Savage MKII TR. I will be using a 25 moa base from DIP. The scope is a 30mm. I would like to get it as close to the barrel as possible, but was worried about getting too close. Also, I want to make sure my math is right on how tall the rings need to be.

From the Mueller website, the following are the specs on the scope:

If my understanding of ring heights is correct, then the rings will need to clear at least 2.51"/2, or 1.255". DIPs' website says the 25 moa base is .31" tall. So would that mean the rings would then need to clear at least 0.945"? (1.255" - 0.31").

If I have all that calculated correctly, then I am considering the following rings listed below. The only reason I am limiting myself to these rings is because they are the only ones I can find specs for. All others I've come across are just generic stuff.

1. Vortex Tactical Rings - Medium profile positions the center of the scope at 0.97" high. Add the 0.31" base and that adds up to 1.28", which is just a little over the 1.255" for the scope, leaving a gap of 0.025". I am concerned that would be cutting it too close. The high profile places the center of the scope at 1.18", which makes the total height with the base at 1.49", leaving a gap of 0.235". My main issue with these rings is that because they are so big, they may not allow for too much adjustment in scope placement.

2. Vortex Hunter High Rings - They place the center of the scope at 1.22", which brings the total to 1.53" with the base, leaving a gap of 0.275".

3. Warne Rings - If my math is correct, then the High rings place the scope at 1.11555", for a total of 1.42555" with the base. This leaves a gap of 0.17055". The medium rings place the scope at 0.96555", for a total of 1.27555". This leaves a gap of 0.02055", which I am concerned might be too close. I do like these rings and have used them on a centerfire rifle.

4. Burris Signature Zee Extra High Rings - The cool thing about these is being able to add more adjustment. The rings place the scope at 1.18", for a total of 1.49" with the scope. This leaves a gap of 0.235". These are the most expensive of the bunch and seem to be sold out at most places.

Any feedback on these is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Get the rings that gives you the most clearance. Should you ever decided you'd want scope covers in the future, the rings that leave the tiny gap won't give you the needed clearance.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanks Mute. Good point. As it turns out, this scope does come with a set of flip up caps, which I forgot to account for.

My other reason for getting the rings just right is because I don;t wan to strain my neck because they are too tall. From my listed choices, Vortex Hunter's have the most clearance, and are also the cheapest.
Old 01-09-2018, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

If you find your scope a touch on the high side just add a stock pad like this one:

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pad.html

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 01-13-2018, 5:17 PM

Thanks Mute, forgot about those cheek rest pads. I ended up buying the Burris Signature Zee Extra High rings. Once I set all this up, I'll see if end up needing one of those.