Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Bushnell Elite 10x vs UTG 3-12x for AR

Finally got a lower and purposed it for a long range AR project. Got a place go to out to 600 yards. The upper is an Anderson 24 inch. I have the Bushnell on a Savage 110 in 270 and the UTG on a mini 14. The budget will be used up with the purchase of the fire control group. I guess I could try both and see which one to keep on it for now. Got to get it set up for the next SSZS.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

One nation under God

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!
Old 02-21-2018, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnrcp View Post
Finally got a lower and purposed it for a long range AR project. Got a place go to out to 600 yards. The upper is an Anderson 24 inch. I have the Bushnell on a Savage 110 in 270 and the UTG on a mini 14. The budget will be used up with the purchase of the fire control group. I guess I could try both and see which one to keep on it for now. Got to get it set up for the next SSZS.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
UTG is not known for having glass good enough to see .22 holes at long ranges. Plus the quality of the adjustment mechanism is likely not going to be what you want for your purposes.

Look through both and try to read something far away like a license plate or sign with small writing. If your budget is tight consider a Nikon Buckmaster or Weaver 44/40.
Old 02-21-2018, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

UTG and firearms should not be used in the same sentence unless it's to tell someone to stay away from UTG for firearm-related things.

Post a budget, your purpose, and others will chime in with their thoughts.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 02-21-2018, 8:05 AM

Thanks for the info. Can’t spend more at this time, that’s why I posted the two options that I have in order to get to the range (with ammo).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One nation under God

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!
Old 02-21-2018, 8:35 AM
Elevator Mechanic
CGN Contributor

My ex FIL started out with the UTG and swore by it since some gun shop owner suckered him into buying one. waste of money

WTB cheap/used AK MFER.
Old 02-21-2018, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnrcp View Post
Thanks for the info. Can’t spend more at this time, that’s why I posted the two options that I have in order to get to the range (with ammo).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can't spend more than what though?

You never posted a budget in your initial post or in your reply
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

UTG = Useless Terrible Garbage.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Can't spend more than what though?

You never posted a budget in your initial post or in your reply

No mas, nada, nothing more at this time except for 200 towards the fire control group. That is why I posted the question about the two scopes I currently have to use on the build. I am ready to retire my 270 and repurpose the scope on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One nation under God

Old 02-21-2018, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

I ran a UTG/Leapers 3-12X44 on my first AR-10 build for many years. Still bolted up to that rifle actually, although I rarely shoot it anymore. I made it a point never to spin the dials on that scope once it was zeroed. I used the mil dot reticle for holdovers and had pretty good luck with it out to 1000 yards. I also had the Bushnell 10X around the same time, and remember liking the glass and reticle on the UTG slightly more than the Bushnell. The etched wire reticle on the Bushnell had a reflective finish that would create glare inside the scope tube under a variety of outdoor lighting conditions that I didn't care for. I also had a fixed 100 yard parallax that made longer range shooting problematic as there was significant error beyond about 500 yards. In short, I don't think either optic is really ideal, but I definitely found the UTG scope to be the more useful of the two for my purposes.
Old 02-25-2018, 7:49 AM

I've used an UTG 3-9 Bug Buster out to 500 yds. It did the job, but the glass wasn't the greatest and it had a hard time holding zero on that rifle (7.62x39 AR). It now happily lives on a 10-22.

I've had spotty luck with bushnell products.

IMHO use what gives you the best image, and start saving for some better glass.

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/
Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Definitely will get better glass. I opted to leave the 270 alone and use the UTG off the mini for now.

Thanks members for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One nation under God