Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-13-2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P View Post
Being an instructor I always encourage getting some training.
Reality is most simply do not know what they do not know. So hard to grasp the value of formal instruction unless you have had some and it helped you.

You can certainly learn on your own. Good formal instruction will help you identify either unsafe handling or fundamental shooting issues.

Like many here I too went through an evolution of instruction.

I consistently encourage instruction from persons well grounded with competition based backgrounds.

Always be a student. Always seek out a better way to self improvement.

Congratulations, you are solidly on the path now. Just by asking questions. Most firearm owners already think they know enough.
Thanks for the encouragement Matt. I'm the obsessive type, so my wife has labeled me. Everything I do, I strive to do it from a place of knowledge and skill. I don't ever do anything halfcocked or half assed.

I've already taken a basic handgun course. That was before I bought my 1st pistol. Since then, I have continued my training by purchasing a few books and hitting the range twice a week.

I don't do mag dumps at the range. I try to use my time at the range methodically. I work on different fundamentals each time. I also do dry fire drills almost daily. I follow Stoegers dry fire book for that.

I plan on taking an advanced handgun course next month as I need more direction on how to take my training to the next level. Have some travel for the next few weeks or i would do it sooner.

Until then, I am going to work on the Sri torture drill you suggested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
Matt,

Seems like drawing from the holster is key to this drill. Problem is that none of the ranges I have around me allow one to holster and draw.

Is the drill still effective without drawing from the holster?

Could I simulate a draw by starting with the pistol in hand at rest on my right side?
go from low ready then or picking it up off the shelf in front of you.
Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426
Old 08-13-2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
go from low ready then or picking it up off the shelf in front of you.
Gonna just that.

I should not be doing this as a timed drill at first, correct?

Old 08-15-2017, 8:22 PM

Hi. I’m in exactly the same boat. Good groups under 10 yards. They open up after ten yards. I THINK the problem is that hard focus on the front sight means the target to me at least gets very blurry and I can’t see clearly where the target is because of the hard focus. I still maintain the hard focus but it means you can’t really be certain what part of the target you’re hitting.

The reality is I need to pay for a good coach I think at this point.
Old 08-16-2017, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
Gonna just that.

I should not be doing this as a timed drill at first, correct?

correct, this is not timed. simply an accuracy based drill. can you get all the shots in the dots at 3 yards following the prescribed method of doing so for each dot.
Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426
Old 08-16-2017, 8:23 AM

Default White Wall Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerman View Post
Every small error you make gets magnified as your shot gets further away. USPSA has some very difficult distance classifiers that will come up so shooting at a distance and at speed is important. A small error on your trigger pull could result in a miss at 35 feet.

I like the white wall drill. It is simply pulling the trigger with front site focus on a white wall. Nothing to aim at. Your only focus is what that front site does as you pull the trigger. I fixed a horrible accuracy problem when I went from a 1911 to a CZ (1911 trigger can hide a multitude of sins) within a couple of days by doing nothing but the white wall drill.
The white wall drill was TERRIBLE for me. The neighbors called the police. Said bullets kept whizzing through their home. Who came up with this?