Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 10-18-2016, 8:53 AM

Default How to carry with a backpack?

When i ride my motorcycle or mountain bike, IWB carry is uncomfortable or impractical. I typically have a backpack or camelback. I am looking for a small case / holster that would fully enclose my weapon, so as to be fully concealed, and attach to one of the shoulder straps, so it would hang at my side or across my chest and be readily accessible. Similar to drawing from a shoulder rig, I guess. Naturally it needs to hold the weapon in such a position that the muzzle is not pointing any my body, etc. I also want the trigger to be protected.

Any suggestions?

I have used the Disse sling pack (from Springfield Armory) for carry while hiking, and have been happy with that. But the closure of the compartment for your weapon is velcro only, i would not rely on that on the moto. Sometimes we travel very rough terrain.
Old 10-18-2016, 3:16 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019KAR7ME...92c4f20affcdec
Old 10-18-2016, 7:27 PM

Thanks. I already have a pack that works for motorcycling (hydration, tools, etc.) and one for MTBing. Plus in the rough terrain a "sling" style will move around too much. That's why I am looking for a good option, probably something with some MOLLE attachments, that I can add to the front of my pack.
Old 10-18-2016, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Personally never carry off body.
Old 10-18-2016, 8:56 PM
Banned

Sounds like you're looking for a chest rig.
Old 10-18-2016, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

There are sensitivities to the ability to access that weapon that need to be discussed in shoulder rig. There is also the risk of injury from the movement and orientation of the weapon well sliding or tumbling as the result of an accident. These are factors that need to be considered. How you currently carry when off the bike is a question as well, as are the type of bike cruiser vs sport bike, and style of dress, jeans vs. leathers. So to truly help you I need more information.
Now with that said, a Belly Band may be an affordable solution for you. Well on the bike assuming close fitting leathers, the gun could be carried as a shoulder rig, once at your destination well removing the riding gear, the gun could be spun around and the belly band located as designed IWB. Advantage is that most belly bands also include a place for a pair of mags. Our basic unit costs $18.99 well our law enforcement rigs go as high as $65.

There are technical and tactical considerations I would prefer to discuss on the phone or in person, and if you wanted to stop in when we reopen on the 25th, at our Mission Viejo location you could try one out and see if works for you.

Stay safe.
Old 10-19-2016, 8:20 AM

http://hillpeoplegear.com/

Kit bags.

Disco.
Old 10-21-2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Personally never carry off body.
Ditto. Find some way to keep the gun on your person at all times. SmartCarry. Belly Band. Appendix carry. Ankle rig. Whatever. You don't want to have to arrive at your destination and have to doff the pack and then have to move the weapon from off-body to on your person.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Of course you'll end up with a drawer full of holsters (I'm up to 23) but you can find a way to carry on your body through any circumstances if you do some trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBilly View Post
I became mesmerized by a thick black shaft.
Old 10-21-2016, 9:54 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotacocombo View Post
This

Old 11-15-2016, 3:14 PM

Check out the Vertx Gamut pack if you must off-body carry. It has a really nice setup for concealed carry and is pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

https://youtu.be/EJQU7EKTYgg

Last edited by cc12floz; 11-15-2016 at 3:16 PM.. Reason: added video
Old 11-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OP, like you I've also spent considerable time trying to find a good solution for this. Same scenario - camelbak or small (or sometimes large) backpack. Here's what I've tried, and the pro and cons of each:

HillPeopleGear kit bags
(linked by others above) - This is a great solution if you don't care that everyone knows you have a pistol on your chest. Subtle, it is not. But it's effective and does what it does quite well. For hiking/backpacking, I like it because I don't care that passers-by know I have a pistol. It's not unexpected in the backcountry, but in the city that's a different story.

Specialty CCW backpacks - The obvious downside is that you don't get to wear the exact backpack you like, you have to choose from a small assortment of CCW "quick access" backpacks. The less obvious downside, but becomes quite apparent when you watch the video posted above, is that it'll be near impossible to draw your weapon during a fight. If you've got time and space, then sure it's great. But if someone has you pinned to the ground and punching your face, you're going to have to call a timeout so you can take off your backpack and reach inside it. Doing that with your heart racing and your hands trembling is going to be a nightmare. The key point here is that you don't want to have to take your backpack off to get to your weapon.

Standard IWB carry - This usually works fine for me unless my backpack has a waist strap, which incidentally nearly all my backpacks do. So this hardly ever works for me.

Pocket carry - Most of the time, this solution works the best for me. I use a MIC holster to cover the trigger, tie the lanyard to my belt, and put the pistol in my front zipper pocket. Downside is you have to unzip your pocket to access the pistol, but the same goes for most of the other options already listed here. Benefit is that your pistol is in roughly the same location as it usually is with IWB carry, it's safely secured, and you don't have to relocate it when you take off your backpack after riding. I wouldn't do this unless your pocket has a zipper, especially while riding.

Belly-band - Grantar2's suggestion is worth a try (as are all of his suggestions in general, this guy is THE expert on CCW carrying methods), I haven't tried it yet myself so I can't really comment yet. Only possible downside I see is that accessibility might be a challenge, grabbing a pistol from up high under your shirt isn't too easy. But with the right clothing it could certainly work. Also belly-bands sometimes have to contend with gravity, so depending on your torso shape and other factors, your shoulder rig might inadvertently turn into an IWB rig after a short time.

For spare magazines, I either carry them in a cargo pant pocket, or even better is putting it in a multitool or GPS pouch on your shoulder strap.

Last edited by CandG; 11-17-2016 at 1:14 PM..
Old 11-18-2016, 2:55 PM

My son mountain bikes and road bikes to stay in shape. He uses the Hill People chest rig.
Old 11-18-2016, 3:03 PM

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepac...holster-black/
Old 11-19-2016, 5:11 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

5.11 has some nice options for backpack carry. Their velcro holster works well
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 12-22-2016, 2:17 PM

Default Holster for Riding...

I use this a lot:

http://www.desantisholster.com/ROAD-RUNNER

I wear that and then put on my Camelbak or Blackhawk Hydrastorm backpack. I like the X-style shoulder straps. It's easy to wear and it allows you right or left hand draw. Plus, it holds a cell phone, keys, light, multitool, ETC. I don't like attaching anything to to the straps of the backpack because what if you need to take off the pack to get to something inside your pack, or what if you need to ditch the pack completely? You still want your weapon easily accessible. Yeah, it means more straps, but that is easy to deal with.

I wear this a lot while backpacking if I am in areas with predators:

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Ho...l-Harness.aspx

It keeps the weapon close to the body. You can wear it under a light jacket or concealment garment if need be. Under a vest or something, you can't spot it. It hangs comfortably.

If you're more of a purist:

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.c....php?ItemID=91

Here's another option that I love:

http://www.detroitholster.com/store/...al-carry-vest/

It looks like a normal men's vest: http://addersystem.com/

It is ambidextrous and takes either MOLLE or velcro holsters. I prefer velcro holsters. It works best with mid-sized or compact guns.

I like that vest for days when I am going to be on long road trips. It allows for a quick presentation, even when seated. The vest runs big and is sized for wearing other layers. It's comfortable. You have to be a little careful on what holster you use in the pockets because they can tend to bulge a little. I have found that these work well:

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/P...odular-Holster

Stick to a compact gun, and it conceals well. I think it'd be comfortable while motorcycling.

Those are just my $0.02 on the topic. Cheers! -- 1911ShooterPhil
Old 02-02-2017, 7:27 PM

Maxpedition JK-1

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-G.../dp/B00J27JUW6
Old 03-31-2017, 8:37 PM

I use a Kifaru Tombstone on backpacking trips. The weight is distributed on my pack belt and it doesn't attract any attention.
Old 04-01-2017, 4:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
5.11 has some nice options for backpack carry. Their velcro holster works well
I like the 5-11 bags, kydex holster Velcro'd in place. Impossible for me to carry on body sometimes. Certainly not the fastest draw but better then nothing
Old 05-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Another vote for the Hill People Gear chest rigs. I have two, and use them when I hike, hunt, bicycle, or ride a moto. In all those situations, it is very convenient, and not out of place. Cruising around a city, they are quite conspicuous, but that's not the intended purpose. For what they are designed for, they're great. Stay out of cities. Careful though, Hill People Gear is very well made, and highly addictive.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 AM

https://gunfightersinc.com/products/...chest-holster/

I saw this a while back and plan to look into it further (mostly for MTB once I get my CCW.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotacocombo View Post
English.

Good.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 05-30-2017, 6:48 PM

I found this the other day and love it in my EDC/Get Home Bag (I don't have a CCW, so this stays locked in my vehicle), but I think it'll help you with the potential issue of bouncing around, etc, with whatever bag you go with.

https://greyman-tactical.com/

They have different sizes but you can cut to fit if need be.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 AM

Recently a motorcycle gear company called Klim introduced an interesting solution. Their Arsenal Vest is for off road, dual sport and adventure riding. It is a vest with cargo pockets that distribute the weight of water, tools, gear, supplies, etc. across the back and chest.

What is cool is that they actually designed a holster into the chest pockets. I think this is pretty much what I was looking for, for motorcycle use.

http://www.klim.com/Arsenal-Vest-4054-000
Old 05-31-2017, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP2MTNS View Post
I found this the other day and love it in my EDC/Get Home Bag (I don't have a CCW, so this stays locked in my vehicle), but I think it'll help you with the potential issue of bouncing around, etc, with whatever bag you go with.

https://greyman-tactical.com/

They have different sizes but you can cut to fit if need be.

Rockin the serpa lol

1A-2A = -1A
Old 05-31-2017, 6:20 PM

It was my first holster, don't judge me
Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Sneaky Pete holsters now come with molle attachments .
Old 07-06-2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP FAN View Post
Sneaky Pete holsters now come with molle attachments .
Good ol Sneaky Petes!

"It's a iPhone 6+ case, I swear!"

There’s nothing I can’t kill... Cable

Guns... Lots of guns... John Wick
Old 07-17-2017, 1:28 PM

x2 on the fanny pack or similar system (sneaky pete). Basically becomes an open carry but with a zipper or other enclosure between you & the weapon.
Old 07-18-2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
x2 on the fanny pack or similar system (sneaky pete). Basically becomes an open carry but with a zipper or other enclosure between you & the weapon.
fanny could be used elsewhere so it would be worth building skillz for.

plus its very low profile politically.

IIRC there was one that also worked good as over the shoulder back OR front sling for a total of 3 carry modes. IIRC it was kinda pricy at $70 but sounded first class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9YdML8PPw
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounainfury View Post
Might as well make it neon

1A-2A = -1A