Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default turners coming to salinas in october

ok i located the building where turners is goin in and i talked to the guy in charge. its 1411 north davis road. right next to ross and behind outback and next to walmart . they have all their liscenses and permits in place which is good to hear.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2017, 1:39 PM
Sapperforward's Avatar
Sapperforward Sapperforward is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greater Sacramento Area
Posts: 2,355
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Salinas, land of gang bangers and fruit stands.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2017, 3:24 PM
Croweman08's Avatar
Croweman08 Croweman08 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: People's Republik of Commiefornia
Posts: 439
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
Salinas, land of gang bangers and fruit stands.
and all around $h!t HOLE!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
Winchester Model 94 - FTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
"Well I guess that's when you have to put on your big boy pants, let your balls drop and find out what's it like to be a man and take some responsibility."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2017, 7:12 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

wow
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 PM
GW's Avatar
GW GW is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 14,081
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Who cares about the neighborhood? I'm willing to head down there for some of those deals I've seen in their flyers.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2017, 6:58 AM
nickel plate's Avatar
nickel plate nickel plate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 1,341
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Why on earth Salinas?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2017, 7:04 AM
Sapperforward's Avatar
Sapperforward Sapperforward is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greater Sacramento Area
Posts: 2,355
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Why on earth Salinas?
'Cause gang bangers need to stock up on ammo before the background checks start too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2017, 7:10 AM
BennyAdeline's Avatar
BennyAdeline BennyAdeline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: L.A.
Posts: 576
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
'Cause gang bangers need to stock up on ammo before the background checks start too.
Maybe they'll designate one member of the gang to get a C&R + COE
__________________
"Never weep, let them play,
Old violence is not too old to beget new values."

-Robinson Jeffers
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2017, 9:46 AM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

even though salinas has a bad gang problem there are still a ton of very good folks in the area. and it doesnt make sense that a city this size doesnt have one single store that sells handguns. and im with gw on turners sales. best thing is its about 15 minutes from my house, ten on a good day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Sapperforward's Avatar
Sapperforward Sapperforward is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greater Sacramento Area
Posts: 2,355
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
even though salinas has a bad gang problem there are still a ton of very good folks in the area. and it doesnt make sense that a city this size doesnt have one single store that sells handguns. and im with gw on turners sales. best thing is its about 15 minutes from my house, ten on a good day.

What set you reppin' ese?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-11-2017, 2:06 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

that picture brings a totally different meaning t the phrase... gang bangers.lmao. first off im an old white man.so no set esse,lol. sadly one of my close friends during my late teens here in salinas got into the nf and was one of the top shot callers and maybe for a short time was on top. hes now in a federal super max. myself, i was a good public servant for over 35 years and a avid hunter and gun fancier. ive been close friends with a hells angels vp and preachers here in salinas. every area has good and bad folks. but overall the salinas area has great weather and there are great jobs to be found. but the huge shift in the mexican population hover the years here has helped create a big change over the last 40 years here. for adults its fine. for young kids it can be not so good. we still have a big hunting community here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-11-2017, 2:13 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

and regardless of what reputation the city itself has..... we are getting a new gun store. im sure turners sales will draw folks from 50 miles way or more in all directions. my only regret about turners is that they wont have a indoor range or gunsmith.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-11-2017, 4:12 PM
Brush Guard Brush Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 385
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Why on earth Salinas?
Maybe Salinas because its low rent with good proximity to the populous bay area, without the regulations and anti-gun politics that goes with the bay area.

They can set up shop, just outside of range from bay area politics.

Bay area folks will make the drive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-11-2017, 9:56 PM
Sapperforward's Avatar
Sapperforward Sapperforward is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greater Sacramento Area
Posts: 2,355
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Im just having a go at Salinas. I lived in Hollister for years so it's pretty much a requirement for me to crap talk Gilroy and Salinas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Kwikvette's Avatar
Kwikvette Kwikvette is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Monterey County
Posts: 2,582
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

Man, that'd mean I'd only have to drive 15 mins (I live just near Chualar, outskirts of Salinas).

Love it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave View Post
I've noticed a much larger bulge in my pants when shooting a sig vs glock.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 PM
johnthomas's Avatar
johnthomas johnthomas is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monterey County
Posts: 6,172
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
Salinas, land of gang bangers and fruit stands.
Man are you wrong, I have only seen a couple of fruit stands, lol.
__________________
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-12-2017, 1:04 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

i am here sticking up for salinas and actually live in prunedale,lol. but i did attend 8th grade and high school in salinas after we moved from yreka after leaving oregon. and i worked for the city of salinas for over 35 years and my wife still goes to work in salinas . ive killed a good amount of hogs around hollister over the years. im curious how many calgunners i will meet waiting in line for turners salinas grand opening. ive met several hunting ammo at walmarts allready.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2017, 1:09 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

i sure hope all the folks who visit this thread have went to lazos in gilroy. good selection and great customer service.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-12-2017, 4:04 PM
nickel plate's Avatar
nickel plate nickel plate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 1,341
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
and regardless of what reputation the city itself has..... we are getting a new gun store. im sure turners sales will draw folks from 50 miles way or more in all directions. my only regret about turners is that they wont have a indoor range or gunsmith.
Look at a map-you're around ten miles from the beach on the western border.
Surrounding towns are mainly small low income agricultural hubs.
Salinas is not an easy drive from any of the surrounding areas with the exception of Seaside and Monterey.
I do wish Turner's well but the Salinas store is nowhere near (not geographically speaking) their tremendously profitable socal business models.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-12-2017, 4:09 PM
Sapperforward's Avatar
Sapperforward Sapperforward is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greater Sacramento Area
Posts: 2,355
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
i am here sticking up for salinas and actually live in prunedale,lol. but i did attend 8th grade and high school in salinas after we moved from yreka after leaving oregon. and i worked for the city of salinas for over 35 years and my wife still goes to work in salinas . ive killed a good amount of hogs around hollister over the years. im curious how many calgunners i will meet waiting in line for turners salinas grand opening. ive met several hunting ammo at walmarts allready.
You mean Pruntucky. Not prundale

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-12-2017, 4:20 PM
Tonyson's Avatar
Tonyson Tonyson is offline
Wretch
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Just passing through
Posts: 105
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Hmmm gotta plan two trips, 10 days apart, to Carmel soon.
__________________
I once was lost but now am found... Amazing Grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
That's cool I don't do glocks.
If you think they're going to give you your country back without a fight, you're sadly mistaken." -- Steve Bannon, CPAC 2017
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-12-2017, 6:13 PM
sarbiker's Avatar
sarbiker sarbiker is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern Contra Costa County
Posts: 507
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
Salinas, land of gang bangers and fruit stands.
No nuts..??
__________________
"Without the assistance of the Internet and GPS, the North would not have been able to defeat the South" Abraham Lincoln circa 1965


NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
USPSA Life Member
GOC Member
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-12-2017, 6:52 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

lol at prunetucky. for a few years a friend/neighbor had prunetucky ca on the door of his semi when he worked for don chapin. finnally a chp officer told him he had to remove it as it was a ficticious city.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-12-2017, 7:08 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Look at a map-you're around ten miles from the beach on the western border.
Surrounding towns are mainly small low income agricultural hubs.
Salinas is not an easy drive from any of the surrounding areas with the exception of Seaside and Monterey.
I do wish Turner's well but the Salinas store is nowhere near (not geographically speaking) their tremendously profitable socal business models.
well of course a salinas store wont be like a so cal store just because of so cals population numbers. but i also know that when basspro opened in manteca that alot of folks from salinas etc drove there and the same happened when basspro came to san jose. i know alot of folks who go from salinas or south of salinas to basspro at least once a month. heck, dicks sporting goods has survived here a few years now and turners will be the only store in salinas where you can buy handguns. and also they will buy and sell used guns and do consignment which no store in salinas currently does. time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-12-2017, 7:10 PM
sarbiker's Avatar
sarbiker sarbiker is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern Contra Costa County
Posts: 507
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
well of course a salinas store wont be like a so cal store just because of so cals population numbers. but i also know that when basspro opened in manteca that alot of folks from salinas etc drove there and the same happened when basspro came to san jose. i know alot of folks who go from salinas or south of salinas to basspro at least once a month. heck, dicks sporting goods has survived here a few years now and turners will be the only store in salinas where you can buy handguns. and also they will buy and sell used guns and do consignment which no store in salinas currently does. time will tell.
It does sound like a plus for South Bay and local residents when you explain it that way.
__________________
"Without the assistance of the Internet and GPS, the North would not have been able to defeat the South" Abraham Lincoln circa 1965


NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
USPSA Life Member
GOC Member
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-12-2017, 7:26 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbiker View Post
It does sound like a plus for South Bay and local residents when you explain it that way.
myself, i can see folks comin to salinas for turners from gilroy, watsonville, hollister, monterey and king city. maybe even a little farther and all places in between. especialy for their big sales. and i am gonna guess that turners did a lot of research prior to doing this.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-13-2017, 1:32 AM
bbguns44 bbguns44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,142
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

I will definitely drive from San Jose for some of their deals.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-13-2017, 12:31 PM
canative canative is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 923
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Yeah. Might give it try also. Maybe worth the 45-50 min. drive.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-13-2017, 2:45 PM
CodyGT46's Avatar
CodyGT46 CodyGT46 is offline
Guy with the white Glock
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere on the Central Coast.
Posts: 1,820
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Hmm, if its going up on Davis that means Dicks will have some "stiff" competition being as they're now a couple blocks from each other on the same road.

Okay okay lame pun, but still more gun stores in Monterey county the better. So far the only way to get handguns new as far as I know is to go to Monterey, Watsonville, or up to Gilroy/Morgan Hill. On occasion the gunsmith in Marina will have some, but that's only every now and then. Great place for used/consignment guns I will say though.

Only real downside I can think of off the bat is that there are quite a few beggars hanging out the exits of that shopping center all the time, I can't call them homeless because I've seen all their trailers and old motorhomes they keep hidden away behind the stores.
__________________
RIP Edrik M Alford 1966-2014.
I love you and miss you pop.
I'll meet you on the range in heaven, keep a bench open for me.

Pro 2A.
Pro Choice
Pro Freedom
Pro Everyone minding their own business.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-13-2017, 5:59 PM
HOGDOG1955 HOGDOG1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,822
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyGT46 View Post
Hmm, if its going up on Davis that means Dicks will have some "stiff" competition being as they're now a couple blocks from each other on the same road.

Okay okay lame pun, but still more gun stores in Monterey county the better. So far the only way to get handguns new as far as I know is to go to Monterey, Watsonville, or up to Gilroy/Morgan Hill. On occasion the gunsmith in Marina will have some, but that's only every now and then. Great place for used/consignment guns I will say though.

Only real downside I can think of off the bat is that there are quite a few beggars hanging out the exits of that shopping center all the time, I can't call them homeless because I've seen all their trailers and old motorhomes they keep hidden away behind the stores.
ive got to where i dont sweat the homless anymore. well i do get pissed at all the mess they create all over town. i worked park maintenance for the city of salinas for over 35 years, so i had to deal with their mess all the time. least i got paid for it,lol. its a sad state of affairs as one of the guys you spoke of i used to work with and another i used to run with over 40 years ago. and nope i dont give em a nickle. i need my money to buy ammo at walmart and soon for guns at turners,lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:13 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.