Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-14-2017, 2:22 PM

Default Phoenix Tactical Solutions Handgun 1 with Angeles Armory -May 13 review

Two friends and I just took the Handgun 1 class from Phoenix tactical yesterday. This was set up in collaboration with Angeles Armory at Angeles Range. In fact, a few of us were using handguns we bought from Nabil in the class.

The class was small. Only 6 of us, so we got a lot of teacher/student time. Although this is technically an introductory class, most of us had previous training with only one student coming in at beginner level. That being said, Maani and Sean progressed the class either faster or slower depending on our abilities. We never felt either bored or rushed. It was perfect actually.

Their attention to detail, focus on SAFETY and personable teaching method made this class, honestly, one of the best i've taken. The low teacher to student ratio means you get lots of attention to address your particular needs. The class is structured but not rigid. One thing I've not liked with previous other courses is the faux military drill instructor style and the cookie cutter syllabus that you get rushed through. Maani and Sean are real people, that shoot really well, and can teach you how to shoot better without yelling at you. This is a no BS class.

For me, I'm a modified Weaver/isometric stance guy, having taken a few 4 day runs at Front Sight over the years. Maani and Sean said they used to be Weaver guys and converted over to isosceles stance a while back, finding it more versatile. I shoot really well in weaver so I do not need to change but decided i'd try it. But it was up to me, Phoenix does not push you to use their method. All I can say is my shooting improved in a couple hours with the isosceles stance. You just have a more neutral base that allows you to react and move quicker in my opinion. It's going to take practice to break the weaver stance habits but i'm sold.

So..if you've trained before and just need a great day of practice and technique tweaking, or you are a beginner, this class is one heck of a half day of shooting. Do it!

Looking forward to taking Handgun 2 now...

Craig

Last edited by giarcpnw; 05-14-2017 at 4:44 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 05-14-2017, 2:43 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am looking to take this type of class in the next couple of months after some traveling I need to do. I want my wife to take the class with me as well. Sounds like we would both enjoy this class and come out as better shooters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 5:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

It was a pleasure to have you in class. Great to see you pick up isosceles so easily and excel at it. Nice shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcpnw View Post
Two friends and I just took the Handgun 1 class from Phoenix tactical yesterday. This was set up in collaboration with Angeles Armory at Angeles Range. In fact, a few of us were using handguns we bought from Nabil in the class.

The class was small. Only 6 of us, so we got a lot of teacher/student time. Although this is technically an introductory class, most of us had previous training with only one student coming in at beginner level. That being said, Maani and Sean progressed the class either faster or slower depending on our abilities. We never felt either bored or rushed. It was perfect actually.

Their attention to detail, focus on SAFETY and personable teaching method made this class, honestly, one of the best i've taken. The low teacher to student ratio means you get lots of attention to address your particular needs. The class is structured but not rigid. One thing I've not liked with previous other courses is the faux military drill instructor style and the cookie cutter syllabus that you get rushed through. Maani and Sean are real people, that shoot really well, and can teach you how to shoot better without yelling at you. This is a no BS class.

For me, I'm a modified Weaver/isometric stance guy, having taken a few 4 day runs at Front Sight over the years. Maani and Sean said they used to be Weaver guys and converted over to isosceles stance a while back, finding it more versatile. I shoot really well in weaver so I do not need to change but decided i'd try it. But it was up to me, Phoenix does not push you to use their method. All I can say is my shooting improved in a couple hours with the isosceles stance. You just have a more neutral base that allows you to react and move quicker in my opinion. It's going to take practice to break the weaver stance habits but i'm sold.

So..if you've trained before and just need a great day of practice and technique tweaking, or you are a beginner, this class is one heck of a half day of shooting. Do it!

Looking forward to taking Handgun 2 now...

Craig
Old 05-14-2017, 5:59 PM

These guys are incredible! I have had the pleasure of shooting with this team for a while now and take it from me, if you want real world practical tactical ... 100% must...
Old 05-14-2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixTacticalSolutions View Post
It was a pleasure to have you in class. Great to see you pick up isosceles so easily and excel at it. Nice shooting!
I checked your website but I dont see a schedule of upcoming classes.

Do you guys post the schedule anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 9:33 PM

It's on the first page. Right side. PTS Tweets Schedule. http://phoenixtacticalsolutions.com/

Looks like Handgun 1 again next weekend.

C
Old 05-15-2017, 7:12 AM

Glad you enjoyed your class with Phoenix Tactical, Maani and Sean are great guys to work with. Both are very fluent in their abilities and very easy to talk to if you need some certain tweaking in your instruction.
Old 08-12-2017, 2:19 PM

To my fellow cger's PTS is highly, highly recomended. Ive taken my fair share of classes through the years and must say Maani and Shaun are exceptional instructors. Bargain of a price as well! Ive paid 2-3 and some other schools and feel PTS is definetly on par or better in somethings. If you are a local training junky like me PTS needs to be a part of your regiment, you wont be disappointed!
Old 08-15-2017, 8:17 PM

Hi everyone. I’ve taken (and arranged) several classes with them. PM me if you have any questions. First rate. Excellent, excellent classes. As mentioned the training is solid but they are not rigid about how fast or slow to go. They go as fast as you can keep up safely.
(Hi Maani! This is Keith B from ... the office!)