Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-11-2018, 2:37 PM

Default SCR in Bay Area

Does anyone know of a gun store that has SCR rifles in stock?

Sunnyvale / Santa Clara area preferably.

I would have thought that these would be all over the place in light of the recent legislation but apparently not.

Many thanks.
Old 02-11-2018, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Had to order my lower from alphacat armory back when it was ares defense a couple years ago. One would think they would be more popular but it does cost significantly more than an ar. Proprietary parts is a deterrent and a trigger which isn’t all that bad, is nowhere close to a reasonably priced drop in. Many that would consider the scr probably already have an ar and would more likely just convert it.
That said, I love the scr. I highly suggest a sidecharger upper to make it more useable.
Kevin
Old 02-11-2018, 3:37 PM

I saw one this past Monday at Sportsman's Arms in Petaluma.
Old 02-11-2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
Had to order my lower from alphacat armory back when it was ares defense a couple years ago. One would think they would be more popular but it does cost significantly more than an ar. Proprietary parts is a deterrent and a trigger which isnít all that bad, is nowhere close to a reasonably priced drop in. Many that would consider the scr probably already have an ar and would more likely just convert it.
That said, I love the scr. I highly suggest a sidecharger upper to make it more useable.
Kevin
I agree - it's expensive for what it is.

I was thinking of putting a side-charging Faxon upper on it so interesting that you mention a side-charging upper.
Old 02-11-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Leon View Post
I saw one this past Monday at Sportsman's Arms in Petaluma.
Thank you - bit too far for me to travel :-(
Old 02-11-2018, 4:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went with xproducts. I’m sure others will work as long as it replaces the cam pin. Also a Monte Carlo is a must have if you want to reasonably use your stock to rest your face on.
Kevin
Old 02-11-2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltstop View Post

I would have thought that these would be all over the place in light of the recent legislation but apparently not.

Many thanks.

Just have it shipped in to whatever FFL you use.

https://grabagun.com/ares-scr-lower-...sy-mc-blk.html

Or

https://fightlite.com/collections/sc...cts/scr-lwr-mc

Or

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...rod/SCR-LWR-MC
Old 02-11-2018, 6:03 PM

Triple A’s in Vallejo has lowers and complete rifles in both stock configurations.
Old 02-11-2018, 9:20 PM

It is a fun gun. Spoke to them at SHOT and they do not have a distributor that covers CA. Order online and have one shipped in. Side charger is great, as well as an ambi mag release. The trigger is fine - nowhere near as bad as most people think. A take-off Rem 1100 stock really changes up the look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Many thanks.
Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View has a few - saw "lowers only" too.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
It is a fun gun. Spoke to them at SHOT and they do not have a distributor that covers CA. Order online and have one shipped in. Side charger is great, as well as an ambi mag release. The trigger is fine - nowhere near as bad as most people think. A take-off Rem 1100 stock really changes up the look.

The factory stock is my only major dislike on the SCR. How much of a pain was modifying the Rem 1100 stock? Any surprises doing the work?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have you tried calling any of the local gun shops?

I am sure they all have phone numbers, and there are a lot of them in the Santa Clara County
Old 02-12-2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
The factory stock is my only major dislike on the SCR. How much of a pain was modifying the Rem 1100 stock? Any surprises doing the work?
The Rem stock requires a couple of small mods. First, you need to open up the hole at the front of stock where it attaches. The SCR has a collar where the stock attaches that sticks out that you need to make clearance for. You will likely need to open up the back of the stock where the big nut threads onto the recoil tube so that you can get a socket onto it. You will also have to slightly modify the stock mounting plate in order to fit into the back of the receiver. Its just a little grinding with a dremel.

My SCR with wood stock. The cheek weld was also fubared for me with the regular stock. I suggest getting a monte carlo stock or an add on cheek riser to the wood stock.

I eventually switched back to the OEM monte carlo stock that the gun came with.
Old 02-12-2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post

I am sure they all have phone numbers, and there are a lot of them in the Santa Clara County
I didn't know that - it never occurred to me.

You win the prize for the most unhelpful post.

I did indeed actually visit Bay Area Gun Vault (they didn't have any but that may have been before the poster above - I'll have to go back there), Reeds, Eddy's, Imbert & Smithers and a few others.
Old 02-12-2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View has a few - saw "lowers only" too.
Thank you.

I visited there a few weeks ago - it was the first store I went to - but they didn't have any. I'll have to go back there.

It's actually a lower that I want rather than a whole gun.

Thanks again - I owe you a beer (or two) :-)
Old 02-13-2018, 1:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I did indeed actually visit Bay Area Gun Vault (they didn't have any but that may have been before the poster above - I'll have to go back there), Reeds, Eddy's, Imbert & Smithers and a few others.
you asked. there are tons of guns stores in the bay area. and calling them is easier than asking other customers if they have possibly seen some ever at a store... but then again, I guess some people can't relinquish their silver spoon for google fu.....

solar tactical x2, ug imports, annie's, elite, and still many others out there too.. also, any good gun shop can order whatever you want
Old 02-13-2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
you asked. there are tons of guns stores in the bay area. and calling them is easier than asking other customers if they have possibly seen some ever at a store... but then again, I guess some people can't relinquish their silver spoon for google fu.....

solar tactical x2, ug imports, annie's, elite, and still many others out there too.. also, any good gun shop can order whatever you want
ďsilver spoonĒ ... you donít know me, you know nothing about me.

If you have nothing constructive or helpful to add to a thread (any thread, not just this one) why donít you just be on your way.

But then again, I guess some people canít.
Old 02-13-2018, 1:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post
The Rem stock requires a couple of small mods. First, you need to open up the hole at the front of stock where it attaches. The SCR has a collar where the stock attaches that sticks out that you need to make clearance for. You will likely need to open up the back of the stock where the big nut threads onto the recoil tube so that you can get a socket onto it. You will also have to slightly modify the stock mounting plate in order to fit into the back of the receiver. Its just a little grinding with a dremel.

My SCR with wood stock. The cheek weld was also fubared for me with the regular stock. I suggest getting a monte carlo stock or an add on cheek riser to the wood stock.

Thanks, sounds pretty straightforward.

I ordered a laminated stock with checkering from Boyds, has a raised comb. I shoot lefty so anything too "Weatherby-like" causes a problem. Numrich has plenty of 1100 stocks at a lower price, and I like their "English straight grip" style but on the SCR I think the silver laminate looks better than brown wood. Brownells sells cheek risers that really stay put on wood, I'll add one for a bit more lift.

I have the Benelli MR1 and a Volquartsen Evolution, each uses AR mags and is "featureless" but neither has the flexibility of the SCR. Having uppers in 22 lr, 5.56, 7.62X39 and 458 SOCOM (with its 10 round mags ...) is alot of flexibility.
Old 02-13-2018, 1:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thank you.

I visited there a few weeks ago - it was the first store I went to - but they didn't have any. I'll have to go back there.

It's actually a lower that I want rather than a whole gun.

Thanks again - I owe you a beer (or two) :-)
They had a lower with buttstock attached hanging just behind the used handgun case. I'd thought about snagging it but in a rare example of self control declined. Then I went to TargetMasters and spent $$$ on a USFA Bisley - so much for self control.

I got my SCR from Sportmans in Campbell about 2 years back, didn't notice if they had any in their case about 3 weeks ago. I'd give them or BAGV a try for ordering.
Old 02-13-2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
They had a lower with buttstock attached hanging just behind the used handgun case. I'd thought about snagging it but in a rare example of self control declined. Then I went to TargetMasters and spent $$$ on a USFA Bisley - so much for self control.

I got my SCR from Sportmans in Campbell about 2 years back, didn't notice if they had any in their case about 3 weeks ago. I'd give them or BAGV a try for ordering.
Now you're making me think about revolvers. You're bad!

I'm going to head to BAGV at the weekend. I really want to feel how it handles rather than just order one and then find it doesn't suit me.

Sure looks like a fun gun to shoot.

Now ... about that Bisley :-)
Old 02-13-2018, 5:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Wtf how does the scr bolt cycle?
Old 02-13-2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Wtf how does the scr bolt cycle?
It has a "rat tail" like a FAL that pushes against a spring in an angled tube in the butt stock. Not straight back like an AR.

Not sure if you can picture that given my description.

I like the marriage of old and new in the wood stock in the photo.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
ďsilver spoonĒ ... you donít know me, you know nothing about me.

If you have nothing constructive or helpful to add to a thread (any thread, not just this one) why donít you just be on your way.

But then again, I guess some people canít.

He gave you solid advice.....and you instantly got offended at the notion of calling a store.

If you did use a phone to call every gun store around you, how long would it have taken ???
Maybe 30 minutes of your time spending a minute or 2 on each call ??
Heck...what if the other person on the end of the phone may have said... "yeah...we are getting some tomorrow....I'll call you when they get here..."
"Or maybe "yeah...I can order you one for $---, it can be here in a week."

All the OP really had to do was break out the phone and spend some time talking to other human beings.
If he had, he may have already found the rifle he is looking for.
Instead of wasting gas...and time...driving to each store to look.

_
Old 02-13-2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post

I really like that stock with the stainless barrel and muzzle device. So shiny.

How does that Deltapoint and stock line up? It almost looks like the stock in your pick has less drop than mine and may be nicer for a proper cheek weld.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:53 PM

Having your eye in the perfect place is a lot bigger problem when wingshooting, so shotgun stocks with height adjustable combs are common. It would solve any eye line up problem perfectly with the SCR.
Jack West makes a very nice synthetic one for an 1100, and I'm sure you could find other used ones. Remington also seems to often have nice wood on their shotgun stocks. Just sayin.

Last edited by ezb57; 02-13-2018 at 7:05 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 9:08 PM

I think the stock was a take-off from a youth model Rem1100, because the LOP was short. I added a ĹĒ spacer and the ⅛Ē white spacer to the thickest Kick-eez pad they make. The pad was comically too large and took forever to grind to fit, but I was happy with how it came out.

With normal AR sight heights, the stock really needs a riser. However, after shooting this once, I took that crap Sightmark off and switched to a 1-4 Burris MTAC with low rings, and that lines up great with the stock as-is.

Quote:
I really like that stock with the stainless barrel and muzzle device. So shiny.

How does that Deltapoint and stock line up? It almost looks like the stock in your pick has less drop than mine and may be nicer for a proper cheek weld.

Old 02-13-2018, 9:19 PM

Sightmark...doh. For some reason I looked at the pic real quick and read it as Leupold.

Youth model makes sense. I thought the recoil pad looked extra big!
Old 02-14-2018, 7:39 AM

Looks like Peter at Mount Pleasant Arms in San Jose still has one listed on his website. I’d send him an e-mail to confirm availability -

http://www.mparms.com/Aeres-SCR-Gen-...-_p_97519.html
Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-PISTOLCALIBER View Post
He gave you solid advice.....and you instantly got offended at the notion of calling a store.

If you did use a phone to call every gun store around you, how long would it have taken ???
Maybe 30 minutes of your time spending a minute or 2 on each call ??
Heck...what if the other person on the end of the phone may have said... "yeah...we are getting some tomorrow....I'll call you when they get here..."
"Or maybe "yeah...I can order you one for $---, it can be here in a week."

All the OP really had to do was break out the phone and spend some time talking to other human beings.
If he had, he may have already found the rifle he is looking for.
Instead of wasting gas...and time...driving to each store to look.

_
If you donít have something constructive or helpful to add, why bother even reading a post much less replying? How much time did it take you to type the above? Why are you so angry? What possible difference does what I do make to you? Who appointed you to the role of post police?

Why donít you just go on your way.

Iíve learned a lot by reading through the replies (not your however) and Iíve enjoyed seeing the pictures. So have a number of other people it seems.
Old 02-14-2018, 1:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For short sights that are rail mounted. Look at the cz scorpion sights. They offer two. One cheap(which is the ones I bough) and a nicer expensive one. They line up pretty well with the Monte Carlo stock... at least with my mug. The cheaper ones are meant for a pistol so the front bead is larger. That’s if you want irons.
Kevin
Old 02-14-2018, 3:19 PM

A Bushnell TRS 25 works great and Midway has them on sale right now for $60

also if you simply goto Brownell's you can buy just the lower receiver for<$600

And then buy an Upper from PSA or Del Ton and build the gun how ever you want.

I got one a while back and bought a 16" Dissy Upper from Palmetto for $219 cut the Front Sight down and installed the TRS 25.

The gun is an absolute joy to shoot, deadly accurate and once you figure out how to run it you won't be going back to AR's.

I am waiting for Palmetto to get some 24" uppers back in stock so I can get one of them too for this gun. It will be my Long Range Rifle with Optic installed.

Already got a two gun case for it to house both configurations of the gun.

Also you can call " Dalaine" at Fight Lite and she will tell you where you can buy a gun in your area.

I would recommend going the way I pointed out above as you may not like the whole gun concept from Fight Lite. Better to buy what you want and get exactly what you want instead of settling for a prebuilt gun.

If you can't put an upper and lower together to complete the build then maybe a levergun is in order.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-10-2018 at 3:11 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
A Bushnell TRS 25 works great and Midway has them on sale right now for $60

also if you simply goto Brownell's you can buy just the lower receiver for<$600

And then buy an Upper from PSA or Del Ton and build the gun how ever you want.

I got one a while back and bought a 16" Dissy Upper from Palmetto for $219 cut the Front Sight down and installed the TRS 25.

The gun is an absolute joy to shoot, deadly accurate and once you figure out how to run it you won't be going back to AR's.

I am waiting for Palmetto to get some 24" uppers back in stock so I can get one of them too for this gun. It will be my Long Range Rifle with Optic installed.

Already got a two gun case for it to house both configurations of the gun.

Also you can call " Dalaine" at Fight Lite and she will tell you where you can buy a gun in your area.

I would recommend going the way I pointed out above as you may not like the whole gun concept from Fight Lite. Better to buy what you want and get exactly what you want instead of settling for a prebuilt gun.

If you can't put an upper and lower together to complete the build then maybe a levergun is in order.

Randy
Thank you Randy.

Very good advice. I'm leaning towards buying a lower and put the upper I want on it.

I haven't handled an SCR (which is why I didn't just order one) so I'm hoping that, when I go Bay Area Gun Vault, the ergo's agree with me.

Thanks also for the pictures. Much obliged for your time and trouble.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It honestly feels like a shotgun. The monte carlo is certainly the way to go.

I also agree with building an upper. Side charger is almost a must if you want to keep your strong hand grip and actually charge it. Being a righty, I wanted a left hand charging handle. I didn't want to do the AK reach around. Magazine release is not reachable with a human finger. I installed a left hand release from Arms Unlimited which makes things easier. Finding the bolt release add-on can be difficult. I found mine on ebay of all places... Note that the lower comes with the carrier but no bolt and firing pin. You will have to provide those yourself. Just a heads up.
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 02-14-2018 at 11:47 PM..
Old 02-15-2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
It honestly feels like a shotgun. The monte carlo is certainly the way to go.

I also agree with building an upper. Side charger is almost a must if you want to keep your strong hand grip and actually charge it. Being a righty, I wanted a left hand charging handle. I didn't want to do the AK reach around. Magazine release is not reachable with a human finger. I installed a left hand release from Arms Unlimited which makes things easier. Finding the bolt release add-on can be difficult. I found mine on ebay of all places... Note that the lower comes with the carrier but no bolt and firing pin. You will have to provide those yourself. Just a heads up.
Kevin
Wow! More good info. I wanted to put a side charger on it just because I like them - Faxon I know about but one of the earlier posters suggested XPRODUCTS and they look good too.

Thanks for the time and trouble to post.

I shot a Mini 14 once and, although I liked the egos, I found the right hand charging handle too awkward. Same with an M1A/M14.
Old 02-15-2018, 5:34 PM

I got one of these to play with and to put on My 24" upper when it comes.

The idea is to run the 24" manual with the gas block closed so I don't have to chase my good .223 brass around when firing prone. This 24" gun is for long range shooting and only reloads will be consumed by it , so chasing brass is not gonna happen.

Also note in the pic the Troy Ambi Mag Release and Strike Industries bolt stop lever. Both make gun much easier to run.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-10-2018 at 3:11 PM..
Old 02-15-2018, 6:54 PM

Can you keep your head down and run the bolt at the same time or do you have to move your face? I was thinking about picking up one of those devil dog side chargers for my SCR but its kinda pricey.

I am using an ambi safety from a SIG m400 that I picked up from Optics Planet for cheap if anyone is looking for an economical alternative for an ambi safety. Definitely makes 1-handed mag changes easier.
Old 02-15-2018, 7:12 PM

Lokey in Morgan Hill had one when I was there a couple weeks ago
Old 02-15-2018, 9:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was the one that mentioned xproducts side charger earlier. I only bought it because a couple years ago I picked it up for 200 on a Black Friday sale. There are several companies that have the same exact upper for cheaper. Gibbz, spartain, new frontier, are all extremely similar. I believe spartain manufactures for them. There are a ton of others out there. As long as the charging handle hooks onto the cam pin, you shouldn’t have any issues with the scr.
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 02-15-2018 at 9:59 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 7:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you donít have something constructive or helpful to add, why bother even reading a post much less replying? How much time did it take you to type the above? Why are you so angry? What possible difference does what I do make to you? Who appointed you to the role of post police?

Why donít you just go on your way.

Iíve learned a lot by reading through the replies (not your however) and Iíve enjoyed seeing the pictures. So have a number of other people it seems.
Are you serious ??
Do you really believe those things you just typed ??
Seriously....there seems to be something off about an individual that completely comes unhinged like you ....twice in this thread.

And once again....the most helpful advice you received...was to call each place.
This would have saved you....gas....time...effort.
And it is the simplest, and most logical approach to finding something.

So....you think that people that give you the best advice, that would have saved you time, money, and effort, are somehow not helpful, and you assume that they are angry. ??

Makes me wonder...if become this upset on an internet forum...

What would it take for you to get upset enough to shoot up an office, or a school....

_
Old 02-16-2018, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That last comment was out of line. You had a point earlier but you just overstepped.
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-PISTOLCALIBER View Post
Are you serious ??
Do you really believe those things you just typed ??
Seriously....there seems to be something off about an individual that completely comes unhinged like you ....twice in this thread.

And once again....the most helpful advice you received...was to call each place.
This would have saved you....gas....time...effort.
And it is the simplest, and most logical approach to finding something.

So....you think that people that give you the best advice, that would have saved you time, money, and effort, are somehow not helpful, and you assume that they are angry. ??

Makes me wonder...if become this upset on an internet forum...

What would it take for you to get upset enough to shoot up an office, or a school....

_