Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-08-2018, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Default WINCHESTER GARAND??!!update post #19

Hi Folks,

I've been trying not to go down the M1 rabbit hole, because I missed the window of cheapness long ago. I really know very little about the platform, other than I should have at least one specimen. I've come up on an all matching unit (Winny stamped parts), in excellent condition, $1400. It would be the $pendiest wall hanger I've acquired, so I'll ultimately need a shooter too . My cursory research says that the price is not-so-bad, even if it's a bunch of ducats to me. What say ye Garand gurus? PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own

Last edited by echo1; 07-13-2018 at 9:58 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 9:48 AM

The best shooting Garand outside of my match-prepped National Match Armory Garand is a Danish. VAR Barrel

I fell into a Danish, muzzled it at zero yes I keep muzzle / throat gauges on me for Garands & 1903/A3's and bought it on the spot.

I gave the "Danish" my #2 son when he came back from a dirt fort tour of Sangin Provence. A number of Taliban/Pakistani's regret ever running across him as a SDM (squad sniper M16 platform, 20" barrel, 4x scope, bipod and suppressor)

Those years of us shooting rifle matches out to 500 meters while he was in high school really paid off just like the NRA said they wood.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 AM

I have an CMP H&R Garand that I bought for the same price (after DROS and transfer fee and shipping) and I absolutely love it. I'm planning on shooting it in matches - it's accurate, easy to shoot and just oozes cool.

Someone posted a similar question a few days ago and I'll just reiterate what I said then: I'm no M1 connoisseur, so take this with a big grain of salt but I've heard that Winchester M1s are the most unreliable/finnicky out of the lot. I don't know if this is overblown Internet forum BS but it's something to look into.

Also, be sure to get either the Garand Gear or the Schuster Adjustable gas plug so you can shoot store bought 30-06.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM

The Winchester garands are built rougher , you can see the tooling marks of the receiver , when you take it out the stock . Other than that Id say the Winchester name is what draws a lot of people to them.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

if it is "all matching" it was most likely "corrected" by someone. Not a bad thing. I'd say $1,400 is pretty fair for a corrected Winchester Garand.

Got my service grade beginning of the year from CMP for $930 if I recall.

Only Winchester parts are receiver and barrel

Old 05-08-2018, 2:00 PM

I seriously doubt the rifle is completely correct for $1400, either that or the seller doesn't know what he has
You really need to do your homework
Old 05-09-2018, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks All,

Great feed back, for the second time. In the last couple years, I've nosed around Garands and asked for some pointers before. The response is always constructive.
I've known the owner for a decade, an 01 for 40 years, and is the only reason I'm even considering spending that much bank (to me) on what should be a good example. He's my go to FFL guy and he completely has my trust. He helped me get the SKS in my blood. Some Chinese, couple Rommys, led to HIS personal SVT40. The SVT and Garand are some that were cherry picked by him back in the day, for his own stash. I happened to ask him if he had any Garands. He said he only had 1, that it was NRA Collector Grade, and shouldn't be shot...and it was a Winchester. He's likely to have a bunch clips and spare stuff that'll come with. I've been afraid to even look at it, because I'm pretty sure they'll be no turning back once I gaze upon it's charm. It has it's own case and he's had it a long time.
So, automatically I'm going to have to have two M1s, but I know I can stop there ...right...PAX

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 05-09-2018, 1:45 AM

just because he has youyr trust doesn't mean he knows what a all correct WRA is. You will either get a great deal or get skunked. $1100 is normal for a mixmaster WRA , you can get up into several thousand $$$ on a all correct WRA depending on serial range.Again do your homework
Old 05-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
just because he has youyr trust doesn't mean he knows what a all correct WRA is. You will either get a great deal or get skunked. $1100 is normal for a mixmaster WRA , you can get up into several thousand $$$ on a all correct WRA depending on serial range.Again do your homework
This is very true, and I know the learning curve can be an expensive lesson, which is why I've always balked on a Garand in the past. PAX

Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 AM

It takes YEARS of study, and I mean YEARS, NOT a few hours on the internet to be able to make an educated decision on an M1 rifle. If you don't do your homework, I can almost guarantee you're gonna' get burned--and bad at that. Read all you can, put your hands on as many rifles and parts as you possibly can. Have the patience of Job. Patience WILL pay off. Unfortunately, education is time consuming and expensive but in the end you'll be better off for it. This is the voice of experience speaking. 40 years ago I got burned-TWICE-because I hadn't done my due-diligence. Never again. I've paid my dues.
Jon
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM

If he lets you take it apart , just make sure parts are all wra, and possibly seat a bullet in the muzzle to see if its shot out, since hes saying its nra collector quality. For 1400 you cant go wrong in my opinion. best of luck.

SpeedRatchet
Old 05-09-2018, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What are "all matching unit (Winny stamped parts)"?

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 05-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Just because [arts are marked WRA does not mean they are the right WRA parts. Also you have to be able to identify the unmarked parts as WRA.
If rifle has original CORRECT cartouched stock (not repro) and WRA barrel (IN VERY GOOD CONDITION) its a steal at $1400 even if the rest of the parts are not WRA
Old 05-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
It takes YEARS of study, and I mean YEARS, NOT a few hours on the internet to be able to make an educated decision on an M1 rifle. If you don't do your homework, I can almost guarantee you're gonna' get burned--and bad at that. Read all you can, put your hands on as many rifles and parts as you possibly can. Have the patience of Job. Patience WILL pay off. Unfortunately, education is time consuming and expensive but in the end you'll be better off for it. This is the voice of experience speaking. 40 years ago I got burned-TWICE-because I hadn't done my due-diligence. Never again. I've paid my dues.
Jon
Sooo true mj. I remember when new M1s were $100 bucks, which was a lot then ('59-'60?). In the '60s I bought a lot of hunnerd dollar cars. If you don't mind me asking, how much was getting burned 40 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
What are "all matching unit (Winny stamped parts)"?
It's Winchester everything.

I gave him a call, and said to dig it out put and it my pile. PAX

Old 05-09-2018, 1:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it is Winchester everything I think the only way you could go wrong at that price is if it is a recovered drill rifle.

Can't wait to see pics
Old 05-09-2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much was getting burned 40 years ago?

$500 each on 2 occasions. The first one checked good with head space gages. Took it to the range and it shot ok at first, then started patterning like a shot gun. Took it home to clean it and unscrewed the barrel by hand. Second one wound up being a welded receiver. It shot "lights out" but the welded receiver just bugged the excrement out of me. I was able to sell them both for what I was into them for--luckily.
Jon
Old 05-09-2018, 2:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sooo true mj. I remember when new M1s were $100 bucks, which was a lot then ('59-'60?). In the '60s I bought a lot of hunnerd dollar cars. If you don't mind me asking, how much was getting burned 40 years ago?

It's Winchester everything.

I gave him a call, and said to dig it out put and it my pile. PAX
The point being is do you know how to determine Winchester Garand parts? It's not like they stamped a W on everything. If you do, then you are getting a great deal. If you don't, well it might not be too bad if at least the op rod and barrel are Winchester.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 05-09-2018 at 2:04 PM..
Old 05-09-2018, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
The point being is do you know how to determine Winchester Garand parts? It's not like they stamped a W on everything. If you do, then you are getting a great deal. If you don't, well it might not be too bad if at least the op rod and barrel are Winchester.
Not a clue, but I'm about to find out. I'll tell Alice you guys said hello. PAX

Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Fellas,

Finally took the plunge after getting feed back from several boards.

Upon examining the specimen, using my acquired research data, this is what I found during the cursory once over:
  • DMC/CMP rifle purchased in April '96 and owned by him since
  • Owner sponsored by Tour Of Duty out of Visalia, CA
  • All paper work, manuals, letters from sponsor & CMP
  • Winchester receiver serial 131XXXX March '43
  • WRA # bolt
  • Winchester barrel
  • Accessories in butt

Also came with bayo/scabbard, GI web pouch/harness, bandoleer, and ammo can, all with filled with full strippers (over 400 rds). The shipping box and sling hadn't been dug out yet. It's in my hot little hands now Thanks for the assistance guys. I'm going to have Paul at Barnwood take a closer look at it and see if he can locate more WRA #s. PAX

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Does it have Winchester wood? If yes, you really scored. If not, finding the right wood is going to cost an arm and a leg.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Does it have Winchester wood? If yes, you really scored. If not, finding the right wood is going to cost an arm and a leg.
No. The furniture was replaced at refurb presumably, at least it's not stamped on the side. But the whole package seemed like a good deal. I know the wood is $pendy, so it won't be too terrible if I "accurize" the stock at some point. I still don't plan on shooting it much, he didn't He also gave me 120 rds. SA NATO X51. PAX

Last edited by echo1; 07-13-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Hi Fellas,

Finally took the plunge after getting feed back from several boards.

Upon examining the specimen, using my acquired research data, this is what I found during the cursory once over:
  • DMC/CMP rifle purchased in April '96 and owned by him since
  • Owner sponsored by Tour Of Duty out of Visalia, CA
  • All paper work, manuals, letters from sponsor & CMP
  • Winchester receiver serial 131XXXX March '43
  • WRA # bolt
  • Winchester barrel
  • Accessories in butt

Also came with bayo/scabbard, GI web pouch/harness, bandoleer, and ammo can, all with filled with full strippers (over 400 rds). The shipping box and sling hadn't been dug out yet. It's in my hot little hands now Thanks for the assistance guys. I'm going to have Paul at Barnwood take a closer look at it and see if he can locate more WRA #s. PAX
Nice grab!