Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question As a female, do you find when you go to the range...

Do you find that when you go to a range guys look at you like, "wtf is she doing here?!"? Have you ever had anything said or done to you by guys at the range just because you're a female shooter?

What sort of gender based treatment have you experienced?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM

From a male point of view, male shooters are enthusiastic about female shooters. I think the "wtf is she doing here?!", is more like "dude, thats hot that she shoots"

The point is female shooters are openly welcome. Us male AND female shooters need as many shooters as we can get. The change of scenery is nice too
Old 12-18-2009, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspen003 View Post
From a male point of view, male shooters are enthusiastic about female shooters. I think the "wtf is she doing here?!", is more like "dude, thats hot that she shoots"

The point is female shooters are openly welcome. Us male AND female shooters need as many shooters as we can get. The change of scenery is nice too

Werd!

NRA Life Member
Old 12-19-2009, 9:10 AM

Quote:

ditto that, we are just checking you out!
Old 12-20-2009, 6:57 AM

Quote:

+10 for female shooters

WTS:

WTB:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm a male shooter and I don't treat girls shooters any different then male shooters, Actually I've never treated a girl different then my guys friends. I'm there at the range to shoot my guns. Honestly don't really matter to me who's there. Girls or guys. Girls have been shooting guns for a long time so I don't see why some guys get all excited when a girl goes shooting. I mean I can't seem to get my g/f to go with me, but it doesn't bug me, but I bug her about it haha. Just stating my opinion. I mean who ever is at the range is there to shoot there guns.

An example, I went to the shooting range here in Bako, and there was a girl shooting on the bench next to me, and I liked how her rifle looked, It was a Winchester model 70, just like the one I have, I went to talk to her about it, but I didn't realize until then it was a girl and she asked me if I was surprised or shocked that a girl was shooting and I said no, then she told me, "your a first". I told her "no offense but the rifle caught my attention, didn't even notice your were female" so we talked about how she got the rifle and mine then went back to shooting.

http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.

Last edited by NaughtyMonkey; 12-18-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've had a mixture of both in the past. At a public range, I suppose the guys who don't know me see me as an oddity. I'm sure they wonder if I know what I'm doing and are waiting for something stupid to happen -- on my part. I get that while I'm out fishing too, so it's nothing new.

BUT, as soon as they see it's not plinking, the attitudes begin to change to a more positive note. Naturally, there will always be one ignorant person in the group who will choose to behave like a jerk, so I've also learned to grow a thick skin. Some men are insecure and are just crabby.

It's ok... I'm out there to practice and don't expect everyone to be my buddy. As long as they're civil, it's all good.

Now, at matches, I don't feel like a freak at the circus. The guys are supportive, good-humored, and very social. Besides, I supply all the donuts, so they have to be nice to me or I'll cut them off!
Old 12-18-2009, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyMonkey View Post

I went to talk to her about it, but I didn't realize until then it was a girl and she asked me if I was surprised or shocked that a girl was shooting got the rifle and mine then went back to shooting.
You need your eyes checked. I'm sorry, I would never miss if a babe was shooting next to me. The first thing I do when I shoot is look at the caliber (no pun) of people around me. I don't want to spend my afternoon next to some soldier of fortune wacko, or gansta's doing a gun check for tonight's drive by entertainment. I also look at what guns they are shooting and how they handle them (male or female). There have be more than a few times where I have never fired a shot and left due to the type of people and the way they were handling guns.

For sure I would notice a woman, mainly since you just don't see it too often.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 12-18-2009 at 2:46 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
You need your eyes checked. I'm sorry, I would never miss if a babe was shooting next to me. The first thing I do when I shoot is look at the caliber (no pun) of people around me. I don't want to spend my afternoon next to some soldier of fortune wacko, or gansta's doing a gun check for tonight's drive by entertainment. I also look at what guns they are shooting and how they handle them (male or female). There have be more than a few times where I have never fired a shot and left due to the type of people and the way they were handling guns.

For sure I would notice a woman, mainly since you just don't see it too often.

Well I usually go to the benches off to the sides where nobody is at, and I don't go stare at who's shooting, I'm there to shoot my guns not check out the people using them. I don't care who's next to me usually, but thats just me. Also don't really care what there shooting, I just happened to notice the rifle she was using, and she had a hat on and short hair, so it was a bit difficult to tell it was a woman.

http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.
Old 12-23-2009, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Have you considered hormone therapy? Just joking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyMonkey View Post
Well I usually go to the benches off to the sides where nobody is at, and I don't go stare at who's shooting, I'm there to shoot my guns not check out the people using them. I don't care who's next to me usually, but thats just me. Also don't really care what there shooting, I just happened to notice the rifle she was using, and she had a hat on and short hair, so it was a bit difficult to tell it was a woman.
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 12-18-2009, 2:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I know that I tend to see other shooters in terms of experience/skill rather than gender. I am happy to offer input or advice (be they male or female), but only if it is obvious that they would welcome it. If I'm not sure, I keep to myself because I find it rude to assert that "I know more you and must correct what you are doing wrong."

Safety is the only exception, though. If they're being unsafe, I'll stop them immediately.

I have heard from female shooters that many hate it when a male shooter not only feels the need to "correct" her technique, but also thinks it appropriate to touch her without permission while doing it.
Old 12-23-2009, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow! This is complicated. Most men are not that complicated. Pretty much straight line thinkers, if we think at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I know that I tend to see other shooters in terms of experience/skill rather than gender. I am happy to offer input or advice (be they male or female), but only if it is obvious that they would welcome it. If I'm not sure, I keep to myself because I find it rude to assert that "I know more you and must correct what you are doing wrong."

Safety is the only exception, though. If they're being unsafe, I'll stop them immediately.

I have heard from female shooters that many hate it when a male shooter not only feels the need to "correct" her technique, but also thinks it appropriate to touch her without permission while doing it.

(Red Cloud)
Old 12-18-2009, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hell, I'll be honest. I treat female shooters differently because, they usually know how to shoot better than most guys. If I'm at a match, chances are that most of the female shooters will outshoot me. I even had one do it using my rifle and ammo with only a few hours to get used to the gun! OK, I shot better groups but, she shot a better score. Yea, women shooters scare me because, they (as a whole) are capable of dominating all types of shooting venues.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-23-2009, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

As a junior small bore coach I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Hell, I'll be honest. I treat female shooters differently because, they usually know how to shoot better than most guys. If I'm at a match, chances are that most of the female shooters will outshoot me. I even had one do it using my rifle and ammo with only a few hours to get used to the gun! OK, I shot better groups but, she shot a better score. Yea, women shooters scare me because, they (as a whole) are capable of dominating all types of shooting venues.

(Red Cloud)
Old 12-18-2009, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

The "Wtf is she doing here" look is more like "damn" why cant my chick be in to guns like her, sigh" lol
Old 12-21-2009, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
The "Wtf is she doing here" look is more like "damn" why cant my chick be in to guns like her, sigh" lol
You said it!
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 12-22-2009, 7:37 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
yup, We need more female presence at the range. My wife won't go, but my daughter will.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
yup, We need more female presence at the range. My wife won't go, but my daughter will.
Interesting... so does your wife mind your daughter shooting? Or is it just that she personally doesn't enjoy the sport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
C3 Leader

That's the best thing -- to have a supportive spouse!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
I taught both my son and daughter to shoot at an early age, but my wife has no interest. On the plus side she doesn't try to keep me from engaging in the sport.
She did shoot the Mark II for the first time when we were hunting
My mom refuses to "let" my "dad" have a gun. lol, She gives him the look of death any time he mentions an interest in firearms. It's pretty pathetic to see a 300 pound "man" being controlled by a 100 pound woman's glare.
Quote:
Quote:
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Old 12-23-2009, 2:58 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
My mom refuses to "let" my "dad" have a gun. lol, She gives him the look of death any time he mentions an interest in firearms. It's pretty pathetic to see a 300 pound "man" being controlled by a 100 pound woman's glare.
too bad. I got that discussed BEFORE I got married. My family hunts and we own firearms. In the fall we hunt. OK?
Old 12-23-2009, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Are you just now discovering that the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world? I have been cultivating my grand daughters for a decade to understand that they set the parameters of society. In western society, we (men) will push the envelope only as far as they permit.

Quote:

(Red Cloud)
Old 12-24-2009, 1:43 AM
Veteran Member

Not a gal here, but it seems to me when a female shows up to the range, suddenly everyone becomes a target shooting instructor.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Not a gal here, but it seems to me when a female shows up to the range, suddenly everyone becomes a target shooting instructor.

I agree 100 % haha.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not a gal here, but it seems to me when a female shows up to the range, suddenly everyone becomes a target Sixth Degree, NRA, Blackwater shooting instructor, who has studied the deadly ballistic arts at the highest DoJo in Japan, at the personal request of the Master Teacher.
Fixed that.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 12-29-2009, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
Fixed that.
Haha. I don't even remember posting that.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 12-24-2009, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's only because I was hitting on her. And her, And her too.
Someday, I'll hit upon the right one and we will waste countless ammo together.

But seriuosly, I usually look at a female shooter as a credit to the gender. More women should learn to shoot, Then the bad guys may think twice when a, pardon the expression, defenceless female.... puts a gun to their vitals during an assualt.

Last edited by diginit; 12-24-2009 at 4:18 PM..
Old 12-24-2009, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
But seriuosly, I usually look at a female shooter as a credit to the gender. More women should learn to shoot, Then the bad guys may think twice when a, pardon the expression, defenceless female.... puts a gun to their vitals during an assualt.

I feel the exact same way. I wish more women would realize that ultimately, their personal well being and safety is in their hands and their hands alone! What's more, as I've found, shooting is EMPOWERING! And I don't mean empowering like the feminazis preach about, I mean actual empowerment!
Quote:
Quote:
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Old 12-26-2009, 8:51 PM
C3 Leader

I have to agree with all of you... it's like learning how to drive. Why wouldn't you want to learn something that can help you in a pinch?

Besides, I was never much good with a needle and thread - lol
Old 12-27-2009, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I feel the exact same way. I wish more women would realize that ultimately, their personal well being and safety is in their hands and their hands alone! What's more, as I've found, shooting is EMPOWERING! And I don't mean empowering like the feminazis preach about, I mean actual empowerment!
Hmmm. I don't feel empowered when I shoot.

I feel mighty accurate though.
Old 12-18-2009, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

the only girls i say "wtf is she doing here?" to are the ones sitting in the car complaining about the noise, or sitting on the bench doing their fingernails. Oh i've seen it plenty too!! they usually come with D-bag guys who cover just about everyone at the range with their muzzle at one point or another, and will shoot when you're down a "cleared" range.

Any other lady who happens to be engaged in shooting.....that's just hot! I'll admit i get a little....when my wife unloads a mag ...women seem to grasp the technical aspect of shooting too since it's objective based. do this, then that, and this will be the result. That's something i found most women tend to like! (it also helps if you give them a pink gun or a shiny one j/k)

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-18-2009, 9:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You'll only get discouragement by idiots who have something to prove. Just outshoot them and they'll shut their pie hole real quick. I hate it when guys put down any woman who is out there at the range for any reason be it not wanting to shoot a 300 win mag because it hurts or just not grouping well because its her first time out there. I have seen guys shut down pretty quick by women because they have nothing to prove a lot of the time and when they shoot well, the instigator just walks away with his tail between his legs.
Old 12-18-2009, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you ladies for answering

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Thank you ladies for answering
lol

One day at the range this past summer an off-duty cop gave me some of his departmental ammo (hollow points too!). He even let me fire one of his pistols. Didn't feel disrespected by his attention at all.

On another occasion another shooter (who I'd met late last year and hadn't seen since) found out I'd brought the right ammo but the wrong pistol to the range. So he handed me his 1911 and said, Here. Shoot this.

Two Sundays ago another shooter gave me a bunch of his .45 ammo. He'd reloaded them himself and the ammo was of two different grains. (Just moments before he'd disassembled my S&W 1911 to determine if something was amiss.) Then we went over to the action pistols range (my first time there!), where he gave me a free firearms lesson and then let me shoot some of his ammo (that he had in his bag). I felt real special that day, if you know what I mean.

This past year I shot a lot of pistols and rifles belonging to guys I didn't know. For sure, their friendliness, generosity and firearms knowledge just bowled me over. Men like these guys truly demonstrate the firearms enthusiast ideal and spirit. If only I could be as generous and sharing as they.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post

This past year I shot a lot of pistols and rifles belonging to guys I didn't know. For sure, their friendliness, generosity and firearms knowledge just bowled me over. Men like these guys truly demonstrate the firearms enthusiast ideal and spirit. If only I could be as generous and sharing as they.
LOL. I've got pictures to prove a small portion of it. Well, you did know the owner of the AR50 but, you hadn't met me before firing my 1919 and whatever else you ended up shooting that weekend. Gotta hand it to you, you showed up not knowing a sole at the range and spent the next three days there feeling like you were with family (at least, I hope that's how you felt). If you come down this June, you can shoot th AK pistol I built and the MAC I'm buying. After that, you'll ant to go back to a 1911 that you can actualy hit what you are aiming at. BTW, be careful accepting and/or shooting other's reloads. You are really trusting that person with your safety. Just keep that in mind.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 12-19-2009, 9:08 AM

I think it's great to see the women folk at the range, you'd never get a negative remark from me.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

My girlfriend says YES!

one of the more annoying things that happened at the range.

RSO: what are we going to about her shooting?

Me: what do you mean?

RSO: she doesn't have control of the gun

Me: how does she not have control of the gun?

RSO: The muzzle goes too high after recoil.

I'm starting to get pissed now

Me: you mean as high as the guy shooting the mag down the line?

RSO: Well no but...

Me: all her shots are in the 10 ring how does she not have control?

RSO: Well I... um... well

Then he walks away. No RSO has ever said anything about her shooting other than to make fun of me b/c shes a better shot.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
My girlfriend says YES!

one of the more annoying things that happened at the range.

RSO: what are we going to about her shooting?

Me: what do you mean?

RSO: she doesn't have control of the gun

Me: how does she not have control of the gun?

RSO: The muzzle goes too high after recoil.

I'm starting to get pissed now

Me: you mean as high as the guy shooting the mag down the line?

RSO: Well no but...

Me: all her shots are in the 10 ring how does she not have control?

RSO: Well I... um... well

Then he walks away. No RSO has ever said anything about her shooting other than to make fun of me b/c shes a better shot.

What a prick. I bet he was just jealous of her ability! So, out the range and, if you can, the RO. We should know where not to go.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I don't want to say the range b/c all the other RSOs are really nice and helpful.
Old 12-21-2009, 9:33 AM
CGSSA Associate

I have noticed that the older guys who typically go to the outdoor ranges are a bit friendlier then the younger guys I typically see in the indoor ranges. They will normally come over and offer assitance or pointers (I always allow them to do so and say thank you) they are also very excited for me to try their guns most of the time and love to get positive feedback.

They just stare at what I am shooting but don't really say anything and take up way more bench space then they should. They don't move there stuff over or anything for new shooters and force me to put my stuff on a bench far away. Thats more of a lack of home training then a male/ female thing.