Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-11-2018, 9:28 PM

Default Hawke optics

Has any one tried hawke scopes? I was thinking of getting a 8x32x56 for my ruger Precision 6.5 creedmoor
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 PM

I had a 5-20 on a .308 bolt gun. It was a nice scope, held zero and tracked well. My two complaints were light transmission really dropped off at higher magnification - the difference between say 18x and 20x was shocking, and the eye box got very unforgiving at higher magnification as well. I sold it and switched to a Vortex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 1:15 AM

I bought an Endurance 2-7x32 30-30 IR a couple of years ago to mount on my 30-30. To my eyes the glass on the Fullfield II 2-7x35 I was planning on replacing was noticeably better than the Hawke. In addition the reticle wasn’t daylight bright. So I stayed with the Burris and sold the Hawke.
Old 02-12-2018, 6:21 AM

Hawke's bread and butter has always been airgun scopes if I am not mistaken. They have ventured into rifle scopes but it is not their main money maker. Considering their overall budget and quality, with magnification that high you are likely to experience the sames results as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
light transmission really dropped off at higher magnification...and the eye box got very unforgiving at higher magnification as well.
32x is really just for punching holes in paper from an extremely sturdy fixed/benched position for competition in well lit conditions. For typical shooting you will probably be happier with something that tops out at 16x, 18x, or 20x. As recommended above look at better quality and values from Vortex or Burris in the same price range. The few Hawke Sidewinders I looked at had Mil based reticles with MOA adjustments which is always a bad combination as well; make sure any scope you buy is Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Chinese made scope with typical Chinese glass and typical Chinese QA. You might get lucky and you might not.

Air gunners like them because they have adjustable oblectives the focus accurately down to 10 meters for ranging. If you're shooting between 10 and 50 meters you'll probably be happy.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:18 AM

I have one . Don't waste your money it's complete junk
Screw California.
Old 02-13-2018, 5:47 AM

I have one on a springer air rifle. Imho it's great in that role. That said, I don't consider them when looking for medium range glass. I stick with leupold, burris, etc with a couple of sightrons and a trijicon to add variety.

To me the Hawke is durable but the glass isn't up to the standards of those other companies.

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/
Old 02-13-2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
I have one on a springer air rifle. Imho it's great in that role. That said, I don't consider them when looking for medium range glass. I stick with leupold, burris, etc with a couple of sightrons and a trijicon to add variety.

To me the Hawke is durable but the glass isn't up to the standards of those other companies.
Different Hawke product lines are built to different standards and with different optics. Frontier is a rather competent mid-range scope. I just got testing the Frontier 1-6x24 and it is a very competitive design.

ILya
Old 02-21-2018, 7:07 PM

You might get lucky and get a well built scope. I have two (2) that work well. I was a Hawke Fan, but not anymore.

Hawke will wear you down with return shipping fees. Oh, they'll replace your defective scopes, but you'll pay for shipping it to them. The replacements will also be defective. Hawke also "upgraded" my scope choice several times, and each time it failed. Rotated reticles, shattered glass, etc. I stopped on the 4th scope. I started with an AirMax ($125.00), and by the end I now have a Varmint 3-12x40 AO. It sucks, blurry, and isn't what I wanted. They claimed they didn't have any AirMax scopes in-stock, and had no projected delivery date. It was a "take it or leave it" demand made by Hawke. They are nice on the phone, but their scopes suck. I won't buy another Hawke at any product level. Bad scopes and a "take it or leave it" customer service response was enough.