Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-17-2018, 4:31 AM

Default Gun Scrubber?

I often use the Birchwood-Casey synthetic safe gun scrubber for a range 'flush' of ick and carbon. Where I live, it's only available on-line. Is there a comparable and safe solution as a replacement. I've heard brake cleaner, but worried about the synthetic safe properties.
Old 08-17-2018, 6:13 AM

If i understand the query, It sounds like you're looking for something ready made, commercially available that you could pick up at the hardware store or automotive store?

While i've not used it myself, i recently saw a couple of guys at the range using WD-40 electrical connection cleaner, supposedly works well and safe on plastics? I've also heard that the non chlorinated form of automotive brake cleaners might be suitable, again i've not used them for this purpose.
Old 08-18-2018, 4:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1. I personally don't and won't use a strong degreaser on my weapons unless they are being cerakoted or something that requires it. you're washing away all the oil that has soaked into the pores of the steel.

If anything scrub the gun with light oil, wd-40 or something like that. it will remove the crud but leave the oil behind.
Old 08-18-2018, 8:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's 97% Trichloroethylene.

http://www.coltfever.com/uploads/Gun_Scrubber_MSDS.pdf

Go look at various spray cleaners at the auto parts store and get the one that's as close to that as you can find.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Iíve used various brake cleaners on my Glocks,ARís, HKís for over 20 years no ill effects, only gun I wonít use it on is my prized python. One note I always follow up with a protective coating of break free
One can gun scrubber equals cost of 3-4 cans brake cleaner
Old 08-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hoppes and CLP only for me. I’ve used gunscrubber in the past but don’t like it.

I used to cringe while watching them clean the shotguns in Mexico - carburetor cleaner and WD40.
Old 08-18-2018, 5:35 PM

Been using "on sale" at Wallmart break cleaner for years on my black guns and glocks types, but not on my finer firearms.
Old 08-18-2018, 6:26 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Walmart carburetor cleaner pressurize just like gun scrubber and is roughly the same thing works fantastic on every gun I've used it on
Old 08-18-2018, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

The big question is whether all these automotive cleaners are safe on plastic and wood like the newer synthetic safe Gun Scrubber is. I’ve never heard a definitive answer on this.

Old 08-19-2018, 4:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
The big question is whether all these automotive cleaners are safe on plastic and wood like the newer synthetic safe Gun Scrubber is. Iíve never heard a definitive answer on this.
Most pistols that are polymer are glass reinforced nylon to some percentage of glass and even carbon fiber, Nylon is pretty chemical resistant. the issue is going to be any non nylon parts. and I don't know if there are any on a glock. But my USP45 is not going to get a bath in brake cleaner.
Again you guys shouldn't be cleaning your guns with this crap. There are dozens of products that will do the same job with no where near the risk to your plastic parts.
Wait is this the same crowd that wanted Frog lube because they couldn't clean their gun in the house due to fumes?? yet you'll use brake cleaner??

sorry guys but damn near any spray oil would be better.
Old 08-19-2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Most pistols that are polymer are glass reinforced nylon to some percentage of glass and even carbon fiber, Nylon is pretty chemical resistant. the issue is going to be any non nylon parts. and I don't know if there are any on a glock. But my USP45 is not going to get a bath in brake cleaner.
Again you guys shouldn't be cleaning your guns with this crap. There are dozens of products that will do the same job with no where near the risk to your plastic parts.
Wait is this the same crowd that wanted Frog lube because they couldn't clean their gun in the house due to fumes?? yet you'll use brake cleaner??

sorry guys but damn near any spray oil would be better.
But they want to save $2.00 when cleaning their $800 firearm...

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 08-19-2018, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
But they want to save $2.00 when cleaning their $800 firearm...
But yet they will spend $12 on a 2 oz. bottle of wizzbang gun lube?? when a $4 8 oz. can of 3in1 has been doing the job for years.

Last time I checked WD40 was far cheeper than Brake Cleaner. Everybody has this aversion to WD40, well it makes a damn good cleaner and light safe to use solvent, and it don't stink. it is also a good short term lube but we also not the stuff sticks around for about a minute. More than anything I use it for wiping down my machines to keep them clean with a light coat of oil that will not solidify into tar.
Old 08-19-2018, 7:13 AM

DECHLORINATED BRAKE CLEANER. $2.
Old 08-19-2018, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIELDWORKS360 View Post
DECHLORINATED BRAKE CLEANER. $2.
Is this completely safe on synthetic and wood?

Old 08-19-2018, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Is this completely safe on synthetic and wood?
Won't be safe on wood thats for sure
Old 08-19-2018, 5:01 PM

If your spraying it on a composite pistol frame, I would stick to gun prroducts. For steel parts, and brake cleaner should work.
Old 08-19-2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's 97% Trichloroethylene.

http://www.coltfever.com/uploads/Gun_Scrubber_MSDS.pdf

Go look at various spray cleaners at the auto parts store and get the one that's as close to that as you can find.
Wow, I didn't know you could still get TCE in California. It's used in the semiconductor industry to clean parts and printed circuit boards. Really great cleaner and non flamable.
Old 08-19-2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo2112 View Post
That SDS is from 2010. The latest SDS from 2015 does not contain TCE:

http://birchwoodcasey.com/files/data...rm-Cleaner.pdf
Thought it was too good to be true. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
For some reason, gun owners are especially susceptible to the marketing of ďgun productsĒ, including both cleaners and lubricants.
Years ago I called Smith & Wesson if I could use Brake Cleaner on my Sigma's Composite Frame, and they said no problem, but I still don't recommend using unknown chemicals on composite frames. How much do you save by using automotive products on your guns? These are all just recommendations based on different experience levels, Op gets to choose.
Old 08-20-2018, 4:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFolsom View Post
Wow, I didn't know you could still get TCE in California. It's used in the semiconductor industry to clean parts and printed circuit boards. Really great cleaner and non flamable.
Trichloroethane is not the same as trichloroethylene thatís one chemical that was used in brake cleaners. Now itís a mix of acetone and other stuff.
Acetone will disolve a lot of materials
Old 08-20-2018, 4:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I just want something to flush out the crud after I scrub it with a brush. A rag can’t reach everything.

Old 08-20-2018, 6:00 AM

I have been cleaning all my guns with just Simple Green, M16 Brush and rinse with hot water and blow dry then re lube.
Old 08-20-2018, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For some reason, gun owners are especially susceptible to the marketing of “gun products”, including both cleaners and lubricants.

Ha ha. Try telling the guys on motorcycle forums that DELO is just as good in your KTM gearbox as the high priced boutique oil.

"MY oil is formulated $pecially for blah blah buk buk yak yak. THAT$ why it i$ $15.33 a quart. Oh, yeah, it mu$t be changed religiou$ly at half the interval in the manufacturer$ manual, too."
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

I have use brake clean for many years. I do NOT use it on wood stocks/grips and parts. On a rifle I will remove it from the stock and spray the barrel/action/trigger group. I spray the bolt.
I then use lighter fluid to lube and flush out any left over crud the bolt and trigger group has. Something I learned at the SCI convention a few years back.
On 22RF I spray the action good then reassemble without any lube. My firearms run longer before needing cleaning again and have not had wear problem in many years of doing this.