Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-12-2015, 8:15 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default California State Guard - formerly the CSMR

All-Hands / ALCON / Ears!

This sticky was made to give Calgunner’s a place to learn about opportunities to serve (or serve once again) the State of California in uniform. The California State Guard - formerly the California State Military Reserve (CSMR) is one of the four components of the California Military Department, along with the Army National Guard, Air Nation Guard and the various Youth Programs. This are all US Code, Title 32 and California Military and Veteran’s Code (M&VC) Section 500 authorized entities. These are not prepper militia’s, but rather the original militia from the nation’s founder, and further codified into law after the 1903 Dick Act and the federal funding of all state guards into the National Guard.

The California State Guard is 99% an all-volunteer force of soldiers, sailors and airmen who drill on a monthly basis at CANG locations throughout the State, while conducting missions that directly support either (a) the National Guard or (b) local First Responders (LEO’s, Fire, EMT, FEMA, Cal-EMA, etc). CSMR soldiers are under US Code Title 32, just like the National Guard.
While the California State Guard is subject to activation via a declaration from the Governor, we are not subject to federalization (Title 10 call-up) and being shipped overseas. There is a small possibility you may be shipped elsewhere in the USA, as our job is California disaster response, and we help our neighboring states – if they ask & we have the capabilities and bandwidth.
There are no 2, 4 or 6-year enlistment contract to sign. You can resign at any time, with the only except if you have been already alerted for activation during a state or federal emergency (COVID, wildfires, riots, floods, earthquakes, etc). Though we implore you – don’t spent the time & effort (yours and our Recruiting teams) unless you plan to sign up and stay for 12-months. If life happens and you can’t fulfill your duties (hardship) those are legitimate reasons to stand down.

As of this update in December 2020, between the (a) draw-down of forces overseas, and the (b) prior Sequestration funding impacting the overall strength of the Armed Forces - both adversely impacted the National Guard’s ability to conduct missions, training or even administrative tasks here at home. The State Guard helps fill this void by supplying troops who are either prior-service soldiers, airmen, sailors, Coast Guard or Marines, or non-prior service civilians who have either valuable experience (doctors, lawyers, LEO, EMT’s, teachers, plumbers, auto mechanics, S-1 HR & Administrative types, etc.).

Regardless of their background – everyone who joins the State Guard is a patriot at heart. They are the type who’d rather be responding to emergencies (natural disasters, civil disturbances or terrorist attacks) versus watching them unfold on TV. If you would like to learn more about the State Guard and our many missions, please visit one of these following websites:

https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov/public/
http://csmrsoldier.com Regional Support Command-South PAO home page,

You can also visit the various California State Guard or the previous State Military Reserve threads on CalGuns, or you can also PM me directly, and I will put you in contact with someone from Recruiting.

Hooyah and Semper Fi!

LT (CA) Tim Grizzle

N6 / Maritime Command (now Honorably Discharged – again)
Title 32 service: 1-2011 to 7-2020 (Army & Maritime)
Title 10 service: US Marine – 1984-1988 3rd MAW

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 12-21-2020 at 3:14 PM..
Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Hello All!

To piggyback on what rkt88edmo said, the CSMR is a great opportunity for those looking to serve, or serve again. If I'm not mistaken, the recruiting command for the SMR has a motto: "We Recycle Veterans"

I will have been with the CSMR - Northern Command for two years next Saturday on May 2, 2015, and wouldn't take it back for anything. I have written a rather lengthy kinda/sorta FAQ on the California State Military Reserve and have addressed some of the common questions that I see asked about the SMR, with answers based on applicable federal law, California Military and Veterans Code citations, senior CSMR leadership, and also my own personal experience. Please refer to it on the "San Diego Unit- California State Military Reserve RECRUITING!" thread, starting on pg. 4 at post #136 and going forward, or you can click on: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=CSMR&page=4 and skip down to post #136 and read on.

Please be advised that I am NOT a recruiter with the CSMR. I am an E-4 with the Northern Command. If you are within the Northern California area and looking to join, PM me or reply to this post and I can put you in contact with a recruiter that can help you.
Old 04-24-2015, 7:12 PM

Thanks for the shout out SPC Nevets! I was just up NorCal way, and got to visit HQ after 4+ years, and made stops with another soldier in Modesto and a potential LNO in Fresno. Good times indeed! And BTW - I'm a recruiter, so ask the good SPC what he thinks about the SMR, and talk to me about other details for accession (we don't call it enlistment - since it's not structured the same as the federal service or even the CANG).

Tim
Old 04-24-2015, 9:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I did some great years with the CSMR and recommend it highly for prior service types or those without prior service. There are occasional opportunities to serve in a paid status also. Check them out! The CSMR has meaningful missions and needs quality soldiers to complete those missions.
Old 05-22-2015, 1:55 PM

Put in my paperwork last month, it should take about 3 to 5 months to get my orders. It might be a little strange going from the Navy to wearing Army uniforms, I was really impressed with the people and can't wait to get started.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks57 View Post
Put in my paperwork last month, it should take about 3 to 5 months to get my orders. It might be a little strange going from the Navy to wearing Army uniforms, I was really impressed with the people and can't wait to get started.
Are you in Northern or Southern California? Make sure you keep in contact with your recruiter! They told me the same "3-5 months or so..." and almost 9 months passed before I got on the horn and started asking questions.

Good luck with everything!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:00 AM

I'm in the CalGuard and I've worked with, trained with, and have met many SMR's. Good people.
Some are old Vietnam era veterans with TONS of experience not shared anymore in the modern units. Some are just guys in the late 20's like me.

Did a civil disturbance training missions (as an instructor) with a group of SMR's, all cops, all stellar human beings.
Airsoft dork
How Useful Is Airsoft As A Training Tool?
Old 05-25-2015, 7:03 PM

ALCON, regarding the wait times - it can be as fast as 3 months, and sometimes much longer. Our job is to get interested people into the SMR, so make sure you bring all the required paperwork with you to Orientation, and tell the truth regarding any arrests, regardless of the age or expungement. Aside from that, many of our Recruiters work nights and weekends all month long to keep paperwork flowing, including working with the MACOM's to get the all-important Form 10 (request for orders), which gives you a reserved place within a unit. Even while at Memorial Day observances on Saturday, and after a B-day party today - I'm here processing good people into the SMR.

A somber and reflective Memorial Day to all!
Old 08-26-2015, 7:09 PM

Heads up - the California Military Department (Army Guard, Air Guard, SMR and Youth Programs) is changing their name to CALGuard.

One of the first important changes is the addition of the California Naval Militia. It will be construed of current USN, USMC and CG reservists, along with prior service (but no longer IRR) members of these branches. Even civilians with get a special....opportunity to train up to CNM standards.

If you are interested - PM me.
Old 08-26-2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
Heads up - the California Military Department (Army Guard, Air Guard, SMR and Youth Programs) is changing their name to CALGuard.

One of the first important changes is the addition of the California Naval Militia. It will be construed of current USN, USMC and CG reservists, along with prior service (but no longer IRR) members of these branches. Even civilians with get a special....opportunity to train up to CNM standards.

If you are interested - PM me.
PM sent!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 9:39 PM

FYI that California is working on their Naval Militia and Marine Components. Not much detail to share at this time, but we are collecting names from qualified individuals (retired or reservists USCG, Navy or Marines - and some specially qualified SMR soldiers.

LT G
Old 10-12-2015, 7:34 AM

Quote:
FYI that California is working on their Naval Militia and Marine Components. Not much detail to share at this time, but we are collecting names from qualified individuals (retired or reservists USCG, Navy or Marines - and some specially qualified SMR soldiers.

LT G
Sounds good. Thanks for keeping us in the loop as updates become available, sir!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 PM

I share as much as OPSEC and Command allows....but it's admittingly hard to hold back exciting info.... )
Old 12-26-2015, 5:41 PM

I sent an email expressing interest and was ignored.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcoco View Post
I sent an email expressing interest and was ignored.
It can take quite some time for them to get back to you. we have only a handful of full timers and they are way backlogged with all the other applications for accession. Who did you contact?

Also, what part of the state do you reside in? I may be able to put you in direct contact with a recruiter who can answer any questions you may have. Feel free to reply to this or PM me.
Old 12-27-2015, 5:52 PM

Sorry - we've been dark due to travel, missions and holiday parties.
Who did you contact and when?

LT G
Old 01-20-2016, 1:55 PM

Not sure who the sgt was that I was in contact with. I am in the bay area
Old 01-26-2016, 7:45 AM

Calcoco - send me a PM and I'll get in touch with our Recruiting Task Force North. Will share the contact info (phone & email) with both parties. Sound fair?
Old 01-27-2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcoco View Post
Not sure who the sgt was that I was in contact with. I am in the bay area
If you're in the SF Bay Area, you likely talked with someone in San Jose. Might it have been Staff Sergeant Hatton?
Old 01-31-2016, 4:13 PM

I'm in the CSMR as an E4 Medic. I just got back from Camp Roberts training NG members the CLS course.

Ohhh Camp Roberts...

Where their motto should be "Welcome to Camp Roberts! Since 1941 and not and darn thing has changed (including the bunk mattresses)" Good times. LOL!
Old 01-31-2016, 7:22 PM

Any updates on CSMR changes? The new CNM sounds interesting. Anyone had any experience with the Air NG CSMR component?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2016, 10:45 AM

Updates for the CSMR. The Naval Militia is on hold (dead) at this time due to some legal issues between Title 10 and California's Military & Veteran's Code (MVC). So as a place holder, they are starting up a Maritime Support Element, but it's months (6-18) off from being stood up I would suspect.

Best advice I can give (especially for prior / retired sailors, USCG and Marines) is contact Recruiting, join the CSMR and await the official launch. Atleast you'll be vetted and part of the California Military Dept.
Old 03-12-2016, 3:52 PM

Situation normal... Stand by to stand by!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 AM

SNAFU and yes, Stand by to Stand By...
Old 05-22-2016, 9:31 AM

Looks like RSC-North and RSC-South will be dissolved. New changes are to take place in 60 days. Naval component is supposed to be stood up, as well. Lots of changes are coming. Let's just hope it's for the better.
Old 05-22-2016, 2:56 PM

Lots of the changes are simply organizational re-alignment. It won't be the Title 10 Naval Militia, as California and WDC / DoD have to resolve some legislative matters first. So it's a short term (18-months) Maritime Support Command.

We'll see if the MSC can get it's sea legs and be ready for business soon. Get used to seeing people in either actual blueberrys & MARPATS or a commercial variety.

Should be fun!
Old 05-25-2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Lots of the changes are simply organizational re-alignment. It won't be the Title 10 Naval Militia, as California and WDC / DoD have to resolve some legislative matters first. So it's a short term (18-months) Maritime Support Command.

We'll see if the MSC can get it's sea legs and be ready for business soon. Get used to seeing people in either actual blueberrys & MARPATS or a commercial variety.

Should be fun!

Yea, I think that in general, it's for the better, however, I hope new elements who will be integrating into the various units around the state don't destroy what many have worked so hard to achieve. Particularly as it relates to our cohesion and integration with our national guard units.
Old 05-26-2016, 5:12 PM

Not to worry - the MSC side will have similar - but different missions from what the bulk of the SMR does today. MSC will have different customers (agencies) they will support. In times of crisis, both sides of the SMR house will likely be activated to help during our 4 seasons: fires, floods, earthquakes and riots.
Old 05-26-2016, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
One of the first important changes is the addition of the California Naval Militia. .
Did 10 years in SMR & retired 4 years ago. The Naval Militia was still around in the 90s but not active. I was told it was composed of a few San Francisco lawyers who met for lunch. Glad to hear it will be an active unit again with our long coastline.
Old 05-26-2016, 9:31 PM

You can PM as Im active in the CSMR and worked at the JFHQ FOR 6 yrs.. I can assist with any questions and contacts in the Northern command..
Old 05-28-2016, 2:37 PM

Started out with the 102nd Bn in Orovile in 1983. Finished out as CO of the 115th Troop Command Support Bn in Roseville in 2001. Hope the current political climate doesn't FUBAR the whole thing.
Old 05-30-2016, 5:39 AM

Agreed Sir! I'd like to believe that volunteer work at the SMR & Maritime Support Command transcends political affiliations, but seeing elected officials decline to have their picture in front of the US Flag (or even the city, county or State they represent) speaks volumes of pandering to a constituency that feels less than inclined to support Old Glory and what she stands for. That is a sad statement to make on this Memorial Day....
Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 AM

In July I will have been with the CSMR for one year and I just wanted to post on here to briefly share a bit of my experience with them for anyone who might be considering joining.

The soldiers that I work with in the CSMR motivate me more than I could say. Most of them are great people with a good mix of prior service and law enforcement/emergency medical/Firefighter personnel along side the guys who work in business or retail or finance and come in to serve on the weekends. They enjoy training and actively want to learn. More over, they're good at what they do.

I went through a CLS course put on by the CSMR last November. I have gone through a lot of CLS courses during my time on active duty (never in the guard, oddly enough) and this one was one of the best that I have done. It was very well run with subject matter experts giving excellent hands on training over a three day period, culminating in a practical exercise. The course was run by the CSMR, but the students came from the Cali Guard and the Army reserves as well - to include an entire platoon who bussed down from somewhere farther north for the 3 day class. The CSMR personnel on site impressed everyone.

In my one year with the CSMR I have gotten more range time and burned more ammo than I did in the National Guard. I am part of the Installation Support Command SECFOR company, so qualifying and arming up is part of our day to day mission, but we have a large number of individual augmentees who we train on weapons and qualify in order to assist us when our numbers are low, and these guys come from a variety of units - shooting a lot of ammo on the state's dime.

The people are good, the training is there to be had, and the experience is what you make of it. If you miss serving (as I did) and you want a rewarding experience, I would recommend checking it out. Coming in from a prior service background you will be able to have a direct and immediate influence on whatever unit you go to and will serve to enhance their training from the start.

It takes some time and a commitment, but I don't think you would regret it.
Old 06-27-2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsenk View Post
In July I will have been with the CSMR for one year and I just wanted to post on here to briefly share a bit of my experience with them for anyone who might be considering joining.

The soldiers that I work with in the CSMR motivate me more than I could say. Most of them are great people with a good mix of prior service and law enforcement/emergency medical/Firefighter personnel along side the guys who work in business or retail or finance and come in to serve on the weekends. They enjoy training and actively want to learn. More over, they're good at what they do.

I went through a CLS course put on by the CSMR last November. I have gone through a lot of CLS courses during my time on active duty (never in the guard, oddly enough) and this one was one of the best that I have done. It was very well run with subject matter experts giving excellent hands on training over a three day period, culminating in a practical exercise. The course was run by the CSMR, but the students came from the Cali Guard and the Army reserves as well - to include an entire platoon who bussed down from somewhere farther north for the 3 day class. The CSMR personnel on site impressed everyone.

In my one year with the CSMR I have gotten more range time and burned more ammo than I did in the National Guard. I am part of the Installation Support Command SECFOR company, so qualifying and arming up is part of our day to day mission, but we have a large number of individual augmentees who we train on weapons and qualify in order to assist us when our numbers are low, and these guys come from a variety of units - shooting a lot of ammo on the state's dime.

The people are good, the training is there to be had, and the experience is what you make of it. If you miss serving (as I did) and you want a rewarding experience, I would recommend checking it out. Coming in from a prior service background you will be able to have a direct and immediate influence on whatever unit you go to and will serve to enhance their training from the start.

It takes some time and a commitment, but I don't think you would regret it.
Excellent, thank you for the summary!

Last edited by DonFerrando; 06-27-2016 at 8:25 PM..
Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Question for CrazyCobraManTim...

I just got the ALCON a couple days ago and it looks like the state has officially stood up the Maritime unit and will be recruiting soon. I know that OPSEC is a factor, but can you give us any details on missions, MOS's, training, etc...

I might be filling out the interest card soon, but want to find out as much as I can first and I'm sure a lot of the guys reading this thread do too. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Well - there are a number of missions being considered and discussed. Like the Guard - it will have both military and civil support missions. But we will likely do some additional things beyond what the CANG current does. I don't want to publicly state any of the items being discussed, as some might not come to pass. And I don't want to dash anyone's hopes.

If you are interested - I'd recommend you still go through the link, state your desire to learn more, and input your skill sets. The CAPT & team will be going thru all candidates.

Happy 4th!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 7:37 PM

FYI - the state Officially activated the California Maritime
regiment aboard the USS Hornet several weeks Ago. NOW is
The time for Sailors, coast guard and Marines to consider
Service. 4 to 100 in a month!!

Oohrah / Hooyah!!

Last edited by CrazyCobraManTim; 12-09-2017 at 6:29 AM.. Reason: Misspelled
Old 05-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Yes Sir!

Now is the time to consider Service with the California Maritime Regiment. Here at the units in NorCal we are offering training and certification in OPSEC, Maritime operation and security skills and soon Cybersecurity

We are in search of those Ready to Serve!

Hooyah!
Quote:
FYI - the state Officially activated the California Maritime
regiment aboard the USS Hornet several weeks Ago. NOW is
The time for Sailors, coast guard and Marines to comsider
Service. 4 to 100 in a month!!

Oohrah / Hooyah!!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuocmua View Post
Yes Sir!

Now is the time to consider Service with the California Maritime Regiment. Here at the units in NorCal we are offering training and certification in OPSEC, Maritime operation and security skills and soon Cybersecurity

We are in search of those Ready to Serve!

Hooyah!

Since this is a volunteer program, what benefits are there to the state reservists i.e. VA home loans, GI Bill, USAA?
Old 06-07-2017, 9:18 AM

Sooo since I've retired USAF I've been looking for a job where I can serve and part of something bigger than myself again. Is there any opportunities for a retired E-6 Aircraft Mechanic?
Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense