Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-20-2017, 8:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Ruger poverty precision rifle 6.5cr

Ruger American Predator 6.5creedmoor
Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50
EGE 20moa mount
Vortex rings
Harris bipod
PWS PRC brake
Factory stock filled with lead and sand
Front sanded and lined with JB weld

Under $1000 retail into this not including ammo.

100 yards
crosshair on center of red dot
3 shots hot bore Hornady 140 ELD-M
scope at 18x

The factory stock is horrible but I don't want to break the $1000 mark. Wish I could get a 5 round mag for a realistic group. I love the scope but have not tried it past 100 so who knows what it will do at distance. The rifle was fine at 500 yards with a PA 4-14x44 FFP RGRID.

Not sure how to measure this. Is it from furthest cuts or a guess at bullet center to bullet center?

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 04-21-2017, 6:03 AM

Poverty! Hilarious!

The free version is no longer available, but $12 is cheap:
https://ontargetshooting.com/ontarget-pc/#download-otpc

And you measure CTC for groups, easily done with On Target, OR if you have good clean target paper (you don't), measure edge to edge and subtract the diameter of a single bullet.

Edit to add: Excellent result!
Old 04-21-2017, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post

...Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50...I love the scope but have not tried it past 100 so who knows what it will do at distance. The rifle was fine at 500 yards with a PA 4-14x44 FFP RGRID.

Not sure how to measure this. Is it from furthest cuts or a guess at bullet center to bullet center?
The one experience I had with Athlon scopes (not my own, but a person I was coaching for a LR clinic), he ran out of elevation with a Ruger RPR at 1,000 yards. Not sure if it was the same scope, but it was surprising to see the Athlon scope bottom out, even with a 20 MOA cant base on the RPR. Weird....

With regards to your measuring of the group, Use a program like "On Target" or use regular paper (not Shoot N C) and then measure from the edge-to-edge of the largest point of the group of the powder mark on the paper, then subtract the bullet diameter (0.264"). Some may argue that this is wrong, but it is close enough. With the Ontarget software, you can just ballpark the center of the bullet hole.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

where is the picture of the gun?

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

It's not better to safe than sorry: It's better to be right than wrong
Old 04-21-2017, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

You like that Athlon over the computer you had? lol

Why not get a Boyds stock? I know it will break the $1000 mark, but not by much.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
where is the picture of the gun?

I'll post one up when I take it to my next range visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
You like that Athlon over the computer you had? lol

Why not get a Boyds stock? I know it will break the $1000 mark, but not by much.
The X-sight is more of a pig scope. I like it more at night with my Nitecore IR emitter. It has a completely different purpose. It is not bad for the price. It would be a decent spotting scope and recorder for night time "hunts". I already sold it so it was nice to test it out.

I got the athlon for free to see if I want to sell the product line. I have to return it if I don't want it or call athlon and pay dealer cost to keep it. I will probably keep it.

I don't think Boyds makes an ambi stock for the predator. I need to shoot left handed but make it so others can shoot right handed. There is some chassis for it that makes it look like a RPR but I am not putting more money into it unless I can't get to 1000 yards.

My friend and I cut out a trail on his property and put an 18" gong on a hill last Saturday. One spot gets us to 725-750 yards, another is 850 yards, and another is 1100-1150. The nice thing is the wind seems to be a fairly consistent 5mph to the right through the whole distance. Only drawback are rattlers on the hill. Now we have an 1100 yard gong ready to drive up to only 45 minutes away.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
Typically use a caliper to measure furthest cuts and subtract caliber to get center to center. Practically, just zero on an unfired bullet and measure largest cut.