Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Submitted my AZ application today. I will be in AZ Third week of September, hope to be able to carry with non-Rez permit.... because America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
Submitted my AZ application today. I will be in AZ Third week of September, hope to be able to carry with non-Rez permit.... because America

You can already carry there. No permit needed to carry open or concealed in AZ.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post

I know, but for good measure would rather have one.

Old 08-09-2017, 6:33 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
As 'cockednglocked' stated, yes. I took my initial Orange County CCW qualifier class last month, along with an extra hour for the Arizona permit. Sent in the Arizona packet containing my OC class certificate, application, and prints....two days after the class.
It's a qualified "yes"

The instructor must be an NRA instructor and you must be issued the NRA certificate. That's what your extra hour likely bought.
This is likely the case in most counties, but not for all.

The San Bernardino CCW course does *not* qualify, as no certificate is issued. The instructors are deputies and officers, and even though some are NRA instructors, that is a part of their personal life and unrelated to the CCW class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-09-2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
I know, but for good measure would rather have one.
Yup, including the exemption from Federal gun free school zones, and the ability to legally carry in businesses that serve/sell alcohol as long as you are not consuming.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-09-2017, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

^this.

Old 08-09-2017, 6:37 PM

Default AZ CCW permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
It's a qualified "yes"

The instructor must be an NRA instructor and you must be issued the NRA certificate. That's what your extra hour likely bought.
This is likely the case in most counties, but not for all.

The San Bernardino CCW course does *not* qualify, as no certificate is issued. The instructors are deputies and officers, and even though some are NRA instructors, that is a part of their personal life and unrelated to the CCW class.

That's not true. The SBSD issued CCW does qualify per AZDPS despite not being issued a certificate (...I have that in writing, dated July 21st, 2017). All that is needed is the front/back copy of your CCW, fingerprint cards, the application and the applicable fees.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-09-2017 at 6:44 PM..
Old 08-09-2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
That's not true. The SBSD issued CCW does qualify per AZDPS despite not being issued a certificate (...I have that in writing, dated July 21st, 2017). All that is needed is the front/back copy of your CCW, fingerprint cards, the application and the applicable fees.
Possession of the PERMIT qualifies, as does a valid or expired CCW from anywhere.

But the class itself does not satisfy the requirement.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Possession of the PERMIT qualifies, as does a valid or expired CCW from anywhere.

But the class itself does not satisfy the requirement.

Ah ok. I now understand what you were getting at.

Old 08-09-2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Ah ok. I now understand what you were getting at.
Thankfully, by the time you take the SB class, you are within a week or two of getting your permit, so it's not exactly the same situation as counties like Orange that have a couple of approval steps and you take your class months before final issue.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser!! View Post
I received my AZ permit yesterday and I looked at the expiration date. It says 2022? Nice!
Someone didn't do their homework.
Old 08-10-2017, 4:29 PM

AZ permit is good for five years.
Old 08-12-2017, 9:24 AM

Sorry it took so long, there was a brief period there when I had the means to finish the application. I was so particular to follow & check off the instructions to get every nuance fulfilled, then I forgot to put my damn birth date, of all things, on the app, so it got returned. My DOB was located on the fingerprint cards, but I guess they can't fill it in for idiots who forget. Used a DD214 for proof of competence (with a firearm anyway, not so much with basic English skills). I wonder if they physically mail the fingerprints to the FBI, because when the app came back it had the cards with it. When I re-submitted it, it came back really fast. Maybe they did all the work before sending it back, so when I returned it with the date, it went right through.

Mailed: 07/08/2017
Re-mailed: 07/24/2017
Received CWP: 08/08/2017

So now at least Arizona considers me a trust-worthy citizen.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

For Sale Threads Worthy of Perusal New Location info
Old 08-14-2017, 4:31 PM

Got mine today.
Old 08-14-2017, 5:07 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

An AZ CCW is a great thing to have, I'm not sure how necessary it really is in AZ, but it's good to have the bases covered at least.

I was in Prescott over the weekend. We had dinner over at a roadside steakhouse in Dewey and were seated near the bar. I wasn't carrying open, but a couple people seated at the bar were. A sheriff's deputy poked his head in and talked to the woman I assume was the owner for a minute then left... he never even glanced at the weapons and none of the patrons even flinched. It appears in more rural areas the firearms laws are enforced on a selective basis.

Nobody makes a big deal about it there, but of course people ride their Harley without a helmet and drive Razors down the highway to get groceries. People appear to be held responsible for their own actions as the good Lord intended. Just a quick pic I snapped...

Old 08-14-2017, 5:12 PM
...and ready to rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
An AZ CCW is a great thing to have, I'm not sure how necessary it really is in AZ, but it's good to have the bases covered at least.

I was in Prescott over the weekend. We had dinner over at a roadside steakhouse in Dewey and were seated near the bar. I wasn't carrying open, but a couple people seated at the bar were. A sheriff's deputy poked his head in and talked to the woman I assume was the owner for a minute then left... he never even glanced at the weapons and none of the patrons even flinched. It appears in more rural areas the firearms laws are enforced on a selective basis.

Nobody makes a big deal about it there, but of course people ride their Harley without a helmet and drive Razors down the highway to get groceries. People appear to be held responsible for their own actions as the good Lord intended. Just a quick pic I snapped...

shouldn't be necessary at all for within AZ, the permits exist so that AZ residents (and anyone else) can have their AZ right to carry recognized in other states that have reciprocity with AZ but require actual permits. AZ itself is constitutional carry - any non-prohibited person can carry while there.

Great pic, and excellent story! A brief glimpse at what free America looks like...

Looks like both his sidearm and his cell phone are baaaaarely hanging on for the ride, though. Better not hit a speed bump

AW Registration: The Complete Guide - Read BEFORE you register!!!

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-14-2017 at 5:14 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 6:02 PM

AC, With any luck I will be moving to Prescott in a couple of months. Then I won't need to renew my CA permit. Life, housing, groceries, etc, is about 25% less expensive there.
Old 08-14-2017, 6:20 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron91710 View Post
AC, With any luck I will be moving to Prescott in a couple of months. Then I won't need to renew my CA permit. Life, housing, groceries, etc, is about 25% less expensive there.
It's funny Ron, as I came back to California I realized in spite of my CA permit I am thankful for, that I couldn't carry open if I wanted to. I have personal mixed feelings on open carry in public, but I (we) should be able to make that choice and not some political schmuck. Folks in the more rural areas out walking their dogs were all carrying open, makes sense for critter protection.
Old 08-14-2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
shouldn't be necessary at all for within AZ, the permits exist so that AZ residents (and anyone else) can have their AZ right to carry recognized in other states that have reciprocity with AZ but require actual permits. AZ itself is constitutional carry - any non-prohibited person can carry while there.
A non-permitted person can not legally carry in a bar even if they are not drinking. There are a few other restrictions as well that the permit avoids. Then there's the Federal gun free school zone issue.

Of course, as mentioned, enforcement is selective and if you aren't up to no good, you likely won't find trouble, at least not outside of the metro areas.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2017, 8:25 PM
...and ready to rock

Quote:
A non-permitted person can not legally carry in a bar even if they are not drinking. There are a few other restrictions as well that the permit avoids. Then there's the Federal gun free school zone issue.

Of course, as mentioned, enforcement is selective and if you aren't up to no good, you likely won't find trouble, at least not outside of the metro areas.
Gotcha, I think I remember hearing about that now. That does make sense

Old 08-15-2017, 1:23 AM

Even in a "free" State, the rules can be convoluted.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post

That cell phone makes me nervous. It need better retention. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

AZ DPS is great with CCW applications as well as serving retired LEO's for annual qualification for LEOSA and issuing Arizona LEOSA qualification cards for retired LEO's from all states who reside in Arizona.

I recently submitted my department letter and proof of Arizona POST firearms qualification to AZ DPS so they could issue my my proof of qualification card. I had my card in hand nine days after I mailed everything into AZ DPS....

Just great customer service. The same unit at AZ DPS who issues CCW permits also issues the LEOSA cards to retired LEO's.

As mentioned by others The Prescott area is VERY firearms friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 08-15-2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Even in a "free" State, the rules can be convoluted.
In many cases, as I referenced before (or maybe in another thread), more restrictive than California WRT private property rights.

In AZ, "No Guns" signs carry force of law... however, being a non-resident at the time of arrest is one of several affirmative defenses.

In New Mexico, which is another open-carry state (and recognizes AZ but not CA CCW), you can not carry in a business that serves anything other than "low point" beer and wine. Chilis, Applebees, Outback... nope. They don't specify "bar" or the type of liquor license. "No guns" signs carry force of law.

In Texas, it is a FELONY to carry into ANY business that SELLS alcohol if you do not have a CHL... including Walmart. "No guns" signs carry force of law, but they must cite the state statute... 30.06 no CCW, 30.07 no OC.

In practicality, last vacation through AZ, TX, OK, and NM, I saw ONE 30.07 sign on a gas station south of Ft. Worth, and the Roadkill Cafe had one on their back door by the kitchen, but not on the front door where we entered. I didn't see the one on the back door until after eating when I used the restroom.

Didn't see any OC in Cracker Barrel, but I saw a lot of very poorly concealed double stacks. Either that, or there's an epidemic of hip tumors in AZ

Quote:
Old 08-15-2017, 6:16 PM
...and ready to rock

Also, CA used to be one of the last remaining states to allow CCW campus carry. They used to have respect for CCW holders, back before we started being considered criminals within the last 2 years or so.