Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-24-2013, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I can't decide on a water filter...

I have a well at my house, and I want a filter to be able to drink the water should the need arrise.

I was originally thinking a Big Berkee, but some of their current quality issues have me balking. That and the price is a little high.

Now I'm thinking of something smaller and more portable like a Katadyn Combi. That would give me a little more flexibility.

<sigh>
Old 01-24-2013, 8:48 PM

sawyer
Old 01-24-2013, 9:17 PM

Is the water quality questionable? (contaminated?)

We are on a well, we use a in-line filter for the fridge water despenser/ice maker. We keep a Brita filter pitcher in the fridge also. We have good quality water, we filter to improve taste and to catch the sediment.

"In the woods"... I use Katadyn pump, and gravity feed filters. The filter pump is part of my bug out/get home bag.

Last edited by 11HE9; 01-24-2013 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: add ??

If you have any individual filtration needs, take a look at my products here
http://pwc2.com/aCM
http://www.facebook.com/24x7Kits
https://twitter.com/24x7Kits

Being prepared isn't optional.
It's biblical.
Matthew 24:7
Calguns Addict

Get a reverse osmosis machine. Only way to get pure pure water.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 01-24-2013, 9:39 PM

FIRST NEED XL.
The First Need XLE ELITE water purifier is the only purifier certified to EPA Standards (cysts, bacteria and viruses) without using chemicals.
It filters down to (to 0.1 microns).
I love my katadyn, but the First need is just the best.
And NO, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just have tried numerous filters in my 20+ years of backpacking and nothing comes close. The ONLY downside is that it is slightly heavier.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM

swayer is great and cheap and is doing great things for people over seas.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sawyer Point Zero Two.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 01-25-2013, 7:24 AM

+1 First Need XL. Like the above poster stated, only EPA approved filter that gets rid of all the nasties. You won' t find a negative review on it from people who drink water that is more questionable than anything I'll probably drink in my lifetime.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer_bob View Post
I have a well at my house, and I want a filter to be able to drink the water should the need arrise.

I was originally thinking a Big Berkee, but some of their current quality issues have me balking. That and the price is a little high.

Now I'm thinking of something smaller and more portable like a Katadyn Combi. That would give me a little more flexibility.

<sigh>
Get the Berkey and extra filters.
Mine has been the best filter I have ever used. The water is tastless and has no smell.
They also make more portable madels and are selling to Cali again.
They also last a long time and filter cleanup is easy.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

I'm a fan of the Sawyer PointZeroTwo Purifier. With its .02 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane purifier, it filters bacteria, cysts, and yes, even viruses. They have a cheaper PointOne model (.1 Micron) that does not claim to filter out viruses.

As for any filter claiming to be "the only EPA approved filter," consider that according to the CDC the EPA does not approve or test filters. If someone is willing to mislead you about such a thing, what else are they misleading you about? Three organizations do test water purification systems and certify if they meet or exceed ANSI/NSF or EPA standards: NSF International, Underwriters Laboratory, and the Water Quality Association.

NSF International
P.O. Box 130140
Ann Arbor, MI 48113-0140
877-8-NSF-HELP; (877) 867-3435
www.nsf.org
info@nsf.org

Underwriter’s Laboratories, Inc.
333 Pfingsten Road
Northbrook, IN 60062-2096
(877) 854-3577
www.UL.com/water
mail to:water@us.ul.com

Water Quality Association
4151 Naperville Road
Lisle, IL 60632-3696
(630) 505-0160
www.wqa.org
info@mail.wqa.org
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

Last edited by Oliver_Charles; 01-11-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I use a Katadyn Pocket as well.

It's pricy but also filters 13k gallons of water on a single filter.

I picked mine up new in the box from ebay (still sealed and everything). The thing is built like a truck.

I also carry tabs and a lifestraw as backups. Although camping I've never needed anything but the pocket.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I use a Katadyn Pocket as well.

It's pricy but also filters 13k gallons of water on a single filter.
The Sawyer Point Zero Two purifies 264,000 gallons of water on a single filter - including viruses.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 01-25-2013, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
The Sawyer Point Zero Two purifies 264,000 gallons of water on a single filter - including viruses.
Yeah those are interesting. Don't they have to be used with a bucket or some sort of large container? Like it wouldn't be ideal to take it hiking/camping becuase you can't filter directly from a stream, right? At least that's what I had thought. I hope I'm wrong.

They seem to be great for home use (where you have buckets and containers) but not so great if you are on the move with a pack and just want to fill your water bladder and go.

What are your thoughts/info on it?
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-25-2013, 4:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah those are interesting. Don't they have to be used with a bucket or some sort of large container? Like it wouldn't be ideal to take it hiking/camping becuase you can't filter directly from a stream, right? At least that's what I had thought. I hope I'm wrong.

They seem to be great for home use (where you have buckets and containers) but not so great if you are on the move with a pack and just want to fill your water bladder and go.

What are your thoughts/info on it?
The OP wanted something to filter water from a well at his house. So portability wasn't a big factor. But yes, the Sawyer Point Zero Two Purifier (SP191) requires a bucket or something similar to hold water.

If you want something for an indefinite bug-out using a backpack, use a Sawyer Complete Water Purifier System (SP194). It's good for 1,000,000 gallons.

If you want something small for a get-home-bag, use a Sawyer Squeeze Water Filtration System (SP131). It only weighs 3 ounces.

And if you don't think viruses are important in the US, think of the viruses that will appear out of nowhere with dead bodies all over the place in the aftermath of a SHTF scenario. The SP194 and SP191 will take care of those viruses.

Old 01-25-2013, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
The OP wanted something to filter water from a well at his house. So portability wasn't a big factor. But yes, the Sawyer Point Zero Two Purifier (SP191) requires a bucket or something similar to hold water.

If you want something for an indefinite bug-out using a backpack, use a Sawyer Complete Water Purifier System (SP194). It's good for 1,000,000 gallons.

If you want something small for a get-home-bag, use a Sawyer Squeeze Water Filtration System (SP131). It only weighs 3 ounces.

And if you don't think viruses are important in the US, think of the viruses that will appear out of nowhere with dead bodies all over the place in the aftermath of a SHTF scenario. The SP194 and SP191 will take care of those viruses.
Oh I know, the op just mentioned wanting portability that's why I wanted to make sure I understood how that particular Sawyer worked as I had looked into it at one point.

I'll have to look into SP194. Thanks for the tip.

I wouldn't mind having another big capacity filter for sure. Redundancy is important to me.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Oh I know, the op just mentioned wanting portability that's why I wanted to make sure I understood how that particular Sawyer worked as I had looked into it at one point.

I'll have to look into SP194. Thanks for the tip.

I wouldn't mind having another big capacity filter for sure. Redundancy is important to me.
Keep in mind the actual filter and misc. components of the Sawyer Zero Point Two are very small and light - and easily packable for bug-out. So if you can scavenge a bucket or bag or whatever you can to hold water along the way, you can still use it. You don't have to cart a bucket around with you.

I happen to have a SP191 in my bug-out bag. My wife's bug-out bag has the SP194. The house has an SP191. And our get-home-bags have SP131's.

Old 01-31-2013, 8:10 PM

Ceramic-based filters like Katadyn or MSR, if you are going to be moving. Do NOT use any paper or membrane based unless you are filtering from a well. Katadyn also make "Expedition" version for larger groups. Size of a bicycle tire pump.

Problem in unknown or traveling situations is often mud or other contaminants. Paper-type filers cannot be cleaned like ceramic.

Have bet my life on Katadyn ceramics many times in remote parts of Sub- Sahara Africa. Handled extremes of pond-scum, algae-covered stagnant pools, standing rain-water in jungle, and down-stream from cattle crossings (grossest!). Both hand- filter and expedition versions. Carry the hand version plus 1-2 spares in my BOB as essential. Truck has Expedition version plus spares.

Get yourself some used 20-liter Swiss Army rubberized water bladders to hold clean water (eBay). They are nearly indestructible. Have carried them in jungle, desert, and on bed of trucks with guys sitting on them.

In my opinion, a "complete" portable water system includes a couple foldable water buckets (to carry unfiltered water), Katadyn or other high-end ceramic water filter plus spares, 3-liter camelbacks (preferable mil-spec), and 20-liter (5 gallon) Swiss army surplus water bladders.

Only thing the ceramic filters won't deal with is viruses and cholera. Has handled water containing dysentery, worms, and ghiardia with no problems for me. If cholera a danger, best to boil for 5+ minutes (full boil for 5, not just heating up), then filter too (takes out particles & mud). Or chlorine-based tabs or drops or bleach (2nd best, my opinion, but functional), then filter.

Btw, in East Africa, we calculated 1 liter per person, per hour - walking or riding. Just as point of reference. Don't know what military calculates - that was our experience. So 30 mile walk @ avg 3 miles per hour (incl rest stops) = 10 hours = minimum 10 liters per person needed to carry, or to find along the way. During dry season, means carry that much on your back, plus gear. Not fun, but necessary.

Trust me. Running out of water in middle of 30 mile hike is NOT an experience you ever want to have when the temps are over 110.

Last thing we often do, since dehydration is as much a risk as dysentery from bad water - we carry powdered Gatorade or similar. Diluted (never full strength), helps with hydration and taste of water from the rubber camelbacks. The sugar in Gatorade is heavy, so we keep the amount carried to minimum.
Old 01-31-2013, 8:57 PM

+1 for Berkey. Makes LA tap water taste like a million bucks.
And it's a feasible SHTF mobile water system. Not shabby for $230 on amazon right now.
Old 01-31-2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer_bob View Post

<sigh>
Get a Katadyn, It's like buying a Stihl chainsaw. lasts forever
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM

If you are certain of the waters potability and only want to remove color and odor, use a granulated activated carbon bed filter.

You can actually make a gravity feed filter with stuff lying around the house. It wont do the volume that a pressurized filter system will, but it will filter enough to keep you hydrated.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Is the water quality questionable? (contaminated?)
My well water is better than the stuff that comes out of the municipal tap. Get it tested.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:50 PM

The Sawyer point one has a gravity hanging kit that can attach to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket...or larger. Best part is you can use it this way, or take it off and take it with you on the go in your BOB. I have it for my SAR Gear and it works great. But DO NOT let it freeze; it will ruin the filters effectiveness. Although it will look fine, it will not work to remove bacteria after it was frozen.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/
Old 02-01-2013, 4:59 PM

First need, they are fantastic purifiers. Buy a few extra filters and some coffee filters and you'll be set.
Old 02-01-2013, 8:22 PM

Sawyer Point Zero Two.