Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2017, 8:11 AM

Default Fixed! Update: Savage .17 HMR Model 93r17 Light Strike Misfire Fix?

From day one this rifle misfired and over the years it progressively became worse. The first thing I did was to changed ammunition, then warranty firing pin and magazine. Then after several years I recently decided to send it back to Savage under warranty. I sent them a written history with an explanation of the defects. They replaced the outside extractor and firing pin. When I got the firearm back it still had a light strike and failed to fire more often than not.

So after a couple of firing pins, magazines and an extractor I decided to diagnose the malfunction myself. I started by tuning the bolt face and firing pin, then disassembling and cleaning the bolt, neither corrected the problem. Then I added a shim between the bolt and bolt face, fail because that only moved the stricker away from the firing pin causing more of a light syrike on the cartridge.

Then after more function checks I isolated the defect at the bolt locking handle and the slot on the barrel. The worn handle and barrel slot has opened the head-space causing the malfunction. I tested this by using a folded match-book as a shim placing it between the bolt handle and the slot in the barrel, problem solved.

What is the best fix? I can think of several but wanted to hear from the experts, I'm a retired mechanic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-11-03-07-48-57.jpg (41.9 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by tony270; 02-12-2018 at 6:44 AM.. Reason: Update on fix by modification.