Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-15-2018, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygazer View Post
First interview with SDCS Licensing today. Veronica was my assigned clerk. Here are my take-aways:
1. She made it clear up front that there was going to be a second appointment, even though I brought all the required documentation with me. She claimed the backlog was "overwhelming" and couldn't take that much time with me today. We scheduled the second interview... for Sep 19. Another month just added to the schedule....
Did you ask what they're going to need to catch up? (more staff? more funding? something else?) Next time say you'll gladly contact the Board of Sups re. increased funding if that's will help them get what they need.

Also ask when they'll switch to an online application process like so many other CA sheriffs' offices. Handling most things online can save them staff time and effort.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 08-15-2018 at 5:10 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 12:12 AM

Breaking the silence here.
Got the letter. �� 77 days from 2nd interview.
My GC was from work. I manage a business, hire/fire, make the cash deposits, etc.
The clerk said from the get go that I did not need permission or approval from the business owner to get an LTC.
I was required pay stubs as proof of employment and the bank statements with matching receipts as proof of GC.
The clerk was awesome from the beginning and honestly she seemed to be interested in helping me drafting a good GC.
I reeived a call about a week ago, something I had never found on my record showed up. They asked me to go and add it and sign it. It was a low profile conviction from 18 years ago.. I honestly tought I
Would get denied after this.
I have never met or supported Gore.
I would love to thank San Diego County Gun Owners, their checklist and training videos helped a lot.
P.s.
somehere back in this thread there was an argument about having gun training in relation to GC.
I originally had. Paragraph in my GC statement where I talked about myself as a person with training suited for an LTC.
The clerk had me remove it.
Old 09-03-2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
My GC was from work. I manage a business, hire/fire, make the cash deposits, etc.
The clerk said from the get go that I did not need permission or approval from the business owner to get an LTC.
I was required pay stubs as proof of employment and the bank statements with matching receipts as proof of GC.
The clerk was awesome from the beginning and honestly she seemed to be interested in helping me drafting a good GC.
I reeived a call about a week ago, something I had never found on my record showed up. They asked me to go and add it and sign it. It was a low profile conviction from 18 years ago.. I honestly tought I
I would love to thank San Diego County Gun Owners, their checklist and training videos helped a lot.
P.s.
somehere back in this thread there was an argument about having gun training in relation to GC.
I originally had. Paragraph in my GC statement where I talked about myself as a person with training suited for an LTC.

Outstanding, congrats.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 09-03-2018, 6:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Quote:
the clerk was awesome from the beginning and honestly she seemed to be interested in helping me drafting a good GC.
A change of attitude at the top permeates all the way down the ranks.

Quote:
Issued even despite some "color" in your past.

Quote:
Thanks for helping to lay to rest that myth spread by CGNers full of FUD....

Quote:
You might want to post this at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1473051

Quote:
P.s.
Yeah, lots of newbies think that showing how competent or qualified they are to carry relates to GC: it doesn't. GC is about what could make you a target of attack, what puts your life at higher risk of attack by BGs than the Avg Joe.

Old 09-05-2018, 4:25 PM

That's awesome. I should be hearing back this month on mine.
Old 09-05-2018, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
P.s.
Good to hear.
Was there any home visit to check your address?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-05-2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Good to hear.
Was there any home visit to check your address?
Not to my house. But they did ask me for proof of address.
As far as I know no one went to the business but the business is brick and mortar and well known in the area.
Old 09-06-2018, 5:01 PM

Just had my 2nd appointment yesterday. The clerk was pretty helpful and seemed to think mine was a slam dunk. My original GC was shaky but after talking a bit with her about past work we changed things up. The biggest thing they want as far as GC is documentation it seems. Private documents are good but public documents(ie police reports, news stories) that support your GC are ideal. Iíll be sure to report what the decision is in a couple months.
Old 09-06-2018, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico3 View Post
Just had my 2nd appointment yesterday. The clerk was pretty helpful and seemed to think mine was a slam dunk. My original GC was shaky but after talking a bit with her about past work we changed things up. The biggest thing they want as far as GC is documentation it seems. Private documents are good but public documents(ie police reports, news stories) that support your GC are ideal. I’ll be sure to report what the decision is in a couple months.
Yep, because, believe it or not, some people just make s--- up.

Not only that, but some people try to "game the system" and virtually "cut & paste" the GC of someone else who got a CCW.

Remember: the odds are when you first show up, they don't know you from Adam, and since a LOT of them do nothing but deal with thugs all day, they can be quite jaded.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Was out shootin at range Wed. There was a local (North San Diego County) CCW firearms instructor at the pistol range working with a younger gal (everyone looks younger to me . My neighbor (who has a CCW) and I got to chatting with him after the session. He said, in general, he hasn't seen much change in county CCW permits, remains pretty tough on GC in his opinion.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 AM

He's bogus.
Old 09-12-2018, 4:15 PM

Default CCW Extra page requirements

Hi All,
I just received a SD CCW. The last thing I signed was a "To Whom It May Concern" piece of paper that listed 10 things I may not do while carrying. It is the same as is on the CCW Application form. Two of them were "Consume any alcoholic beverage" and essentially, Be in a Bar.

HandgunLaw.US suggests that The CalGunsFoundation says neither alcohol nor bars are mentioned in the penal code regarding concealed carry, and that the restrictions on the application do not have the force of law.

Supporting the assertion by HandGunLaw, the CalGunsFoundation wiki has a Q&A that says, "Q: Can I drink and concealed carry if I have a permit?
A: The Penal Code is silent on alcohol use or presence and Concealed Weapons License holders. Some issuing authorities are not silent. "

The wiki mentions other things that are restricted if it says so on the permit. (Such as carrying in, "in establishments that serve alcohol.")

Is this separate piece of paper essentially an extension of my permit?

Does the separate paper, which is not the application, have the force of law?

Does the separate paper amount to the SD County Sheriff adding all those restrictions to my permit?

Thank you for your thoughts and interpretations...

K

Last edited by Kate; 09-12-2018 at 4:58 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 5:25 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

^^^ Way to go Kate.

To answer your questions, the way I (and only I) interpret it is that you aren't necessarily breaking a law to be in a bar (for instance), but violating terms of your permit. Hence possession in a bar would not result in being charged with a crime, but rather a loss of your LTC.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.

Last edited by ACfixer; 09-12-2018 at 5:28 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 6:46 PM

I think that is the right question at least. If you are consuming alcohol while carrying, what are the consequences, revocation of your permit or prosecution for illegal carrying of a concealed weapon as if you had no permit at all? I think we are entitled to a clear answer along with its legal justification from SDSO. I don't have the exact language handy, but I believe the wording on my says "while consuming alcohol" but I'd have to check on that.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:37 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
I think that is the right question at least. If you are consuming alcohol while carrying, what are the consequences, revocation of your permit or prosecution for illegal carrying of a concealed weapon as if you had no permit at all? I think we are entitled to a clear answer along with its legal justification from SDSO. I don't have the exact language handy, but I believe the wording on my says "while consuming alcohol" but I'd have to check on that.
Yeah that's the rub for sure... I kind of lean towards the former since there's no state statute on the booze/gun thing but I don't thing it's a huge stretch to see it this way as well.

Of course not drinking or hanging out in bars while armed prevents it from ever being an issue.

Old 09-12-2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post

Of course not drinking or hanging out in bars while armed prevents it from ever being an issue.
I totally concur. And understand. And, do I want to carry or not? I DO go out to dinner, and generally have wine with dinner. If it means going to jail, probably I don't carry, in which case I risk being a victim per my Good Cause statement. And, if I do carry, I lose the permit, in which case I risk being a victim per my Good Cause statement.

Maybe the CCW doesn't actually make things better...
Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 PM

Ok, I checked. The exact wording on my sheet says while carrying, I may not "consume any alcoholic beverage" or "be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on site consumption".

I believe laws and regulations should be written clearly enough so that the average person can determine if a specific behavior violates the rule or not. I understand the first condition, that is pretty clear. The second one is less so. Leaving aside the issue that it makes no sense for me not to be able to carry in a bar if I'm not drinking alcohol, I can't always determine the "primary purpose" of an establishment. Taco Bell is pretty clearly OK, and a bar like Cheers is pretty clearly not. But what is the primary purpose of a TGI Fridays? Lots of people go there to eat and not drink, and lots go to drink and not eat. How am I supposed to know if I am in compliance or not? Am I just supposed to guess and hope the LEO guesses the same way I do? This part seems impermissibly vague.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 09-13-2018, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Ok, I checked. The exact wording on my sheet says while carrying, I may not "consume any alcoholic beverage" or "be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on site consumption".

But what is the primary purpose of a TGI Fridays? Lots of people go there to eat and not drink, and lots go to drink and not eat. How am I supposed to know if I am in compliance or not? Am I just supposed to guess and hope the LEO guesses the same way I do? This part seems impermissibly vague.
Perhaps adding to the confusion, when Bernardo went over the "be in a place" clause, he said, "like a bar, or the bar area of a restaurant." Presumably, the bar area of a restaurant has as its primary purpose serving alcohol.

So, I interpreted that to mean not only Cheers, but the bar area at TGIF.

Impermissibly vague or not, I think I know what they intend. For me, the first constraint, about consuming, is tougher than the second about place. That first constraint means I can't carry in a common situation for me, which means I have to accept higher risk than the general population. At least presumably higher risk, as the Sheriff's CCW panel accepted by GC.
Old 09-13-2018, 6:04 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Perhaps adding to the confusion, when Bernardo went over the "be in a place" clause, he said, "like a bar, or the bar area of a restaurant." Presumably, the bar area of a restaurant has as its primary purpose serving alcohol.

So, I interpreted that to mean not only Cheers, but the bar area at TGIF.

Impermissibly vague or not, I think I know what they intend. For me, the first constraint, about consuming, is tougher than the second about place. That first constraint means I can't carry in a common situation for me, which means I have to accept higher risk than the general population. At least presumably higher risk, as the Sheriff's CCW panel accepted by GC.
The general consensus here Kate is that if they have a real kitchen (range hood and health dept. inspections etc.) which means Applebees and TGIF, you are good to carry but not drink. That is a restaurant, not6 a bar. A lot of threads on this, but it kind of boils down to the type of liquor license perhaps (type 47 or 48) and it's fairly easily separated by whether people under 21 are allowed on the premises. This is not to be construed as legal advice obviously, but that's how I personally decide. Other states have different rules.

Old 09-13-2018, 6:26 AM

Thanks, All.

I very much appreciate the information and your experience!
Old 09-16-2018, 1:11 PM

I got my approval letter today!!! Well yesterday, but nobody checked the mail.
Old 09-16-2018, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Cool!

How long was it from the 2nd interview/livescan?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-16-2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Cool!

How long was it from the 2nd interview/livescan?

85 days.
Old 09-16-2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post

Congrats, may you enjoy your new freedom!
Old 09-16-2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Hi All,
I just received a SD CCW. [snip]
K

Congrats
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Happily I can also report an approval letter received @ 85 days since the 2nd interview. It was effort and time so one feels happy achieving the goal, but also odd to feel happy about needing a CCW because of criminals. But that's reality.

I also want to remind anyone new to this that my first interview I got discouraging words from the clerk, this was with a good cause I was helped with by experts. I reassessed my good cause with same experts, stressed one aspect more than others and dropped the general self defense aspects, and pressed on and was far better received. So don't panic if the first interview is not all sunshine. Work the process! Having a "denial" on your "record" because your good cause was rejected in San Diego is nothing to be concerned about. Press on!

My advice to anyone is get the appointment now. The wait is so long.
You have a ton of time to take a seminar and research your good cause and
run it past experts.

My personal executive summary is to have a good cause that can provide them with good documentation, which I believe is so they can provide proof they did vet someone has elevated risk over the general public if audited.

I would strongly advise to not talk yourself out of what might be considered elevated risk. Research successful good causes, go to seminars and talk to the experts. I think many would be surprised that there is good
cause for them if they do their homework.
I did not donate to Gore, my good cause was not work related, nor because I had any reported threats against me.
Yes it should be like AZ but this is about how to walk the path we have now and continue to work towards general self defense as good cause.

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 09-19-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Happily I can also report an approval letter received @ 85 days since the 2nd interview.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
2. I brought 2 alternative good cause statements (security clearance/vulnerability, and amateur astronomy in remote backcountry). She appreciated seeing pictures and inventory/value of my astronomy equipment, and the map I provided of my regular observing sites. ...
2nd interview yesterday, same clerk (Veronica). I included over 40 numbered pages of supplemental information, including photos and receipts for my astronomy equipment, photos of the remote east county observation sites I frequent, pay stubs, business registration, DD-214 from my time in the Navy, recent water and electric bills, and evidence that I have been a lay leader in my church.

What I did NOT include but should have are news stories of wild animal attacks in east county mountains, and of human and drug smuggling activity in the area. I thought this would be self-evident to anyone living in SD, but now I'm thinking that including ANY news stories about this, however old, would have helped my case.

We'll see what happens... perhaps I'll find out before Christmas.
Old 09-20-2018, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
2nd interview yesterday, same clerk (Veronica). I included over 40 numbered pages of supplemental information, including photos and receipts for my astronomy equipment, photos of the remote east county observation sites I frequent, pay stubs, business registration, DD-214 from my time in the Navy, recent water and electric bills, and evidence that I have been a lay leader in my church.

What I did NOT include but should have are news stories of wild animal attacks in east county mountains, and of human and drug smuggling activity in the area. I thought this would be self-evident to anyone living in SD, but now I'm thinking that including ANY news stories about this, however old, would have helped my case.

We'll see what happens... perhaps I'll find out before Christmas.

Well, look at it as you have a little something in reserve if you have to appeal a denial. I was sitting on a couple more cards to play just in case.