Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM

Default Cabelas C&R Policies

As I write this I am not happy with Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops - I think they have gone extreme corporate and it is no longer in my best interest to do business with them. Others may have different opinions and everyone is in a different situation and the calculus for the amount of BS one is willing to tolerate varies widely.

To start, I am a California resident (for now) and I have a 03 FFL and a CA COE. I stopped at the Boomtown Cabelas on my way back from Reno last Saturday. My plan was to provide a copy of my renewed 03 FFL for their file and browse to see if there were any C&R firearms I wanted to add to my collection. Two years ago I purchased three handguns from them using by C&R license and took them home without any issues. Things have changed.

The first person I spoke with told me California law no longer allows them to do this. He said the law changed this year. I know and you know this is not correct. I asked him to show me his source for this and he was unable. I wound up talking to a more experienced employee in the gun library (I have his card, but I am not going to include his name here) and he told me in essence that CA DOJ twisted Bass Pro/Cabelas figurative arm and they will only sell cartrige firing firearms to CA residents, irrespective of licensing, by shipping to a CA 01 FFL. Fine, it is not the law, but it is their policy and they are entitled to implement whatever policy makes the best sense to their business.

Needless to say, I am somewhat disappointed in Cabelas kowtowing to CA DOJ - they are not bound by CA law, and under CA and Federal law what I proposed was lawful now and when I did it two years ago.

What they did tell me, that offered a little hope, is that Cabelas will ship from any Cabelas gun library to the Rocklin Bass Pro, without shipping charges and Rocklin Bass Pro does not charge either shipping or a FFL transfer fee on the transaction, and for a C&R with proper documentation one can take the gun the same day. DROS and sales tax must still be paid. So far so good - I thought that would work.

Today I called the Rocklin Bass Pro and spoke with Mark who told me he is the firearms buyer. He agreed that they waive the FFL transfer fee and for an 03 FFL with a COE they do not require the 10 day wait for a C&R, but they charge shipping and per Bass Pro Policy they charge $5 for a lock - no safe affadavit accepted (I was considering the purchase of a C&R long gun). He also alluded to the paperwork taking 45 minutes or more! I said that sounds somewhat inefficient based on my experience in many shops completing the paper work in 15 minutes or so (Sac Gun Club for one). Mark told me the extra time is taken up by extra corporate paperwork.

I doubt I will buy anything from Bass Pro or Cabelas - they are entitled to their policy, but for now I am not interested in supporting their acquiescence with the CA DOJ arm twisting. They are not Dick's, but I think they are headed in that direction.

I commend Mark and the gentleman at Cabelas Boomtown for taking the time to discuss this, and I am sorry we disagree.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by flyer898; 10-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 10-13-2018, 1:00 PM

I stopped at about 6 different stores (including Cabelas) with my 03 and COE while I was visiting some relatives in a free state this year. Not one would sell a C&R to me face to face. One guy was on the fence but called his ATF rep/agent to make sure - they told him it was legal but recommended only shipping to a CA dealer FFL anyway.

Sucks.
Old 10-13-2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
...I doubt I will buy anything from Bass Pro or Cabelas - they are entitled to their policy...
On a similar note, since Cabelas decided that they won't ship ammo to CA (even to a Brick & Mortar FFL local gunstore), I've decided that I don't really need to buy anything from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops.
Old 10-13-2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borreby View Post
I stopped at about 6 different stores (including Cabelas) with my 03 and COE while I was visiting some relatives in a free state this year. Not one would sell a C&R to me face to face. One guy was on the fence but called his ATF rep/agent to make sure - they told him it was legal but recommended only shipping to a CA dealer FFL anyway.

Sucks.
What state were you in?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-13-2018, 4:26 PM

I agree about Cabelas/Bass Pro becoming politically correct regardless of law. Plus their ammo prices are very high. If they don' need us, we don't need them.
Old 10-13-2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
What state were you in?
Michigan.
Old 10-13-2018, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borreby View Post

Sucks.
Wow, someone actually admitting that it is actually somewhat common for out of state FFL's not to accept a 03 license from Californians.

Many here don't want to seem to admit that. I wonder when places like J&G will start refusing too?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 PM

Same thing happened to me about two weeks ago there. Saw a nice C&R .22 pistol and was told they couldn't even ship it to a California FFL since it was not on the roster. They did tell me they were fine selling me a C&R rifle.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

People don't want to deal with California laws, and I honestly don't blame them

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 10-14-2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
People don't want to deal with California laws...
QFT
Old 10-14-2018, 5:12 PM

I bought a lot of stuff from Cabela's before their Bass Pro deal, not a single thing since then. I don't like Bass Pro. Aside from high prices, their customer service is horrible. Looks like Cabela's is headed down the same path. This thread pretty much confirms my worst fears about the "new" Cabela's.

As an aside, Mack's Prairie Wings now won't ship ammo to a CA FFL. So I don't even bother opening their emails any more. Seems that companies that are smart enough to become dominant players in their market space should be smart enough to realize that CA is 10% of the country's total population.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:53 PM

Walked into a local gun store in Atlanta two weeks ago. Showed my C&R and walked out with a "new" old 87 year old shotgun. Brought it home on a Southwest flight with me. Eff bass pro. It's a federal license!!!! Once you purchase it and take possession, it's literally not their concern.

Last edited by giarcpnw; 10-14-2018 at 8:59 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 12:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My C&R FFL is on file at the Reno Cabelas and I buy there regularly. Never had an issue. A few years back, and prior to the Bass Pro acquisition, Cabelas went from "show me your FFL" to 1st verifying then keeping it on file. When buying from other Cabelas I have them ship it to the Reno store. It's free and never an issue. I've bought from them a half dozen times on cross country drives, including the Scarborough, Dundee, Kearney and Sydney and Springfield stores.

I'll admit the 1st time the Scarborough store said "no, can't do it now" I wanted to get mad. But they offered to ship to Reno when I told them I was driving by in 3 or 4 days.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
My C&R FFL is on file at the Reno Cabelas and I buy there regularly. Never had an issue. A few years back, and prior to the Bass Pro acquisition, Cabelas went from "show me your FFL" to 1st verifying then keeping it on file. When buying from other Cabelas I have them ship it to the Reno store. It's free and never an issue. I've bought from them a half dozen times on cross country drives, including the Scarborough, Dundee, Kearney and Sydney and Springfield stores.

I'll admit the 1st time the Scarborough store said "no, can't do it now" I wanted to get mad. But they offered to ship to Reno when I told them I was driving by in 3 or 4 days.
The experience with the Reno Cabelas is similar to my experience in 10/2016 when I purchased three C&R pistols over two visits. When I went back in 10/2018 the new policy described in the original post applied. If you bought a C&R there 10/2018 or later please let us know how you worked that magic. The name of the employee would be helpful because one could ask to have that person handle the transaction.
Old 11-01-2018, 3:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The experience with the Reno Cabelas is similar to my experience in 10/2016 when I purchased three C&R pistols over two visits. When I went back in 10/2018 the new policy described in the original post applied. If you bought a C&R there 10/2018 or later please let us know how you worked that magic. The name of the employee would be helpful because one could ask to have that person handle the transaction.
I should be able to find out this weekend - am going to the Reno gun show and most of the time I end up buying something from Cabelas. I'll post back results.

I've also started buying a Wiley Bros in Reno. Picked up a nice 1903 last trip, no problem. They're just south of the show on Virginia St.
Old 11-04-2018, 5:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, here's what I was told Saturday afternoon ...

Subsequent to the Bass Pro acquisition of Cabelas and having 3 Bass Pro stores in CA, Bass Pro headquarters informed the Reno Cabelas that allowing "cash & carry" of eligible handguns by CA C&R holders was a violation of CA law even if the C&R holder possessed a COE and took possession outside CA. The Gun Library fellow I spoke with (Ken, he's done a few C&R sales for me and has been there a while) provided no information on how this violates CA law. I was informed Cabelas still allowed cash & carry of rifles and shotguns, so long as one has their previously verified C&R on file with the Reno store.

I was also informed Cabelas would ship any C&R eligible handgun (actually, he stated any "CA approved" which I would take to mean modern "non-C&R too) to their Bass Pro store in Rocklin free of charge and it would be done without a transfer fee, DROS only. Per Ken, when ironing out the procedure Bass Pro in Rocklin declined to assist, but was corrected, and then applied a very stiff transfer fee, and that was corrected also.

I didn't ask, but probably should have, whether once transferred Bass Pro in Rocklin would release a C&R eligible handgun same day rather than applying a 10 day wait. I have a feeling I wouldn't want to be the first person doing this transaction, and having driven from SF to Rocklin expecting to leave with the gun - I suspect there might be an ironing out period.
Old 11-05-2018, 7:31 AM

There is a Bass Pro in San Jose, so it might be closer to you.
Old 11-05-2018, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Well, here's what I was told Saturday afternoon ...

Subsequent to the Bass Pro acquisition of Cabelas and having 3 Bass Pro stores . . . I was informed Cabelas still allowed cash & carry of rifles and shotguns, so long as one has their previously verified C&R on file with the Reno store. . .

I didn't ask, but probably should have, whether once transferred Bass Pro in Rocklin would release a C&R eligible handgun same day rather than applying a 10 day wait. . .
When I visited the final word from Cabela’s Gun Library is that by store policy any firearm that accepts metallic cartridges, even if C&R or antique, must be shipped to a California 01 FFL.

When I spoke with the Rocklin Bass Pro store they confirmed they would not charge a FFL transfer fee on Cabela’s guns and a 03 FFL with a COE would be able to take a C&R gun home the same day. The costs would be sales tax, DROS, and shipping.
Old 11-05-2018, 2:09 PM

Are they charging you California sales tax if you bought it in Nevada?
Old 11-05-2018, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
Yep that's how it would work under DOJ mandate to CA FFLs a couple years ago. Based on sales price, if no invoice then an FFL can use the "blue book' to determine value and amount of sales tax due to CA. They don't charge NV sales tax in Reno if shipped to CA. At least that how it worked the last time I bought a firearm from Cabela's Reno.

"Gifted" firearms are exempt from the sales tax as it was not a "sale".
Old 11-06-2018, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
When I visited the final word from Cabela’s Gun Library is that by store policy any firearm that accepts metallic cartridges, even if C&R or antique, must be shipped to a California 01 FFL.

When I spoke with the Rocklin Bass Pro store they confirmed they would not charge a FFL transfer fee on Cabela’s guns and a 03 FFL with a COE would be able to take a C&R gun home the same day. The costs would be sales tax, DROS, and shipping.
He did reference "any firearm that accepts a metallic cartridge" but it was regarding antiques and separate from C&R policy. I took it to mean "we used to be able to sell antiques to anyone, now they must be shipped to a CA FFL".

He was very specific re C&R long guns still being "cash & carry" with C&R/COE and C&R handguns going to a CA FFL.
Old 11-06-2018, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
Meaning when the gun is sent to CA - yes.

Last edited by dfletcher; 11-06-2018 at 5:50 PM..