Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-19-2013, 6:36 PM

Default SKS's and 922r

Here's a rather odd question I figure you guys might have an answer for...

Basically, a fellow on another forum I'm a part of has a Norinco SKS from the 1960's or so. He's gone and tacticool'd it out but... eh, it's a Norinco. Problem is, he's agonizing over 922r (Compliance Parts and such). I figured 922r wouldn't really apply, he's not kit-building the SKS, he's just modded it with Tapco stuff...

I know significantly modifying a gun can nullify it's C&R Status, but will 922r really apply to a tact'd out Norinco SKS?
Old 09-19-2013, 7:00 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Skitters View Post
Here's a rather odd question I figure you guys might have an answer for...

Basically, a fellow on another forum I'm a part of has a Norinco SKS from the 1960's or so. He's gone and tacticool'd it out but... eh, it's a Norinco. Problem is, he's agonizing over 922r (Compliance Parts and such). I figured 922r wouldn't really apply, he's not kit-building the SKS, he's just modded it with Tapco stuff...

I know significantly modifying a gun can nullify it's C&R Status, but will 922r really apply to a tact'd out Norinco SKS?
If it's a military surplus firearm then it is only importable if it is a C&R firearm in original military configuration. If you modify it into a non-importable configuration then you have "assembled" a non-importable semi-auto rifle in violation of 922(r).

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 09-19-2013, 7:02 PM

For certain makes and models of long guns, they have part counts. The powers that be have decided that of a certain percentage or number of parts are changed then compliance issues arise. Just because it is old doesn't mean it is exempt. Depending on the model, I believe the norinco has 14 OEM parts and as soon as you change 1 you have to change 4. Others will chime in but look up 922r on centrfire auto loader forum here and also Google it!
Old 09-19-2013, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
If it's a military surplus firearm then it is only importable if it is a C&R firearm in original military configuration. If you modify it into a non-importable configuration then you have "assembled" a non-importable semi-auto rifle in violation of 922(r).
Gotcha, makes sense. Looks like he did the right thing in installing several US Parts then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcitizen View Post
For certain makes and models of long guns, they have part counts. The powers that be have decided that of a certain percentage or number of parts are changed then compliance issues arise. Just because it is old doesn't mean it is exempt. Depending on the model, I believe the norinco has 14 OEM parts and as soon as you change 1 you have to change 4. Others will chime in but look up 922r on centrfire auto loader forum here and also Google it!
I'm quite aware of the part counts and such. My father and I have built AK's. I was just curious as to how it applied to SKS's. 4 US Made parts, then? That's pretty good. AK's are 6.

Thanks for the info!