Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 69 7.89%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 592 67.66%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 19 2.17%
I paid too much for my Membership! 40 4.57%
They will go out of business this year! 21 2.40%
Don't want anything to do with them! 134 15.31%
Voters: 875. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
So, the "private" training still follows FS curriculum rather than evaluating a shooter and working on his/her weaknesses or a specific items a shooter wishes to work on (e.g. transitions between multiple targets, shooting on the move etc.) ?
They bend curriculum to your wants, needs and desires within reason. No lectures, no downtime for long instruction sessions. Plenty of restroom breaks. Lots of practice.
Old 08-21-2018, 8:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far, very helpful. I've been a longtime lurker here and learned a lot about FS that's helped me do better there than I would have otherwise.

Thanks Muzz for the info about the curriculum, that's about what I was expecting.

I've heard mention that you can work parts of different courses in, can anyone confirm? Assuming they're all courses you're qualified for, say you wanted to focus on Rifle but also wanted to spend some time brushing up on shotgun and pistol, would that fly with them?

Also, sounds like this is the case, but wondering if they give you the chance to do some extra/more advanced stuff if you're doing well with the course?

Lastly, can anyone who's been through private training confirm on how many consecutive days you can schedule it for? I'm hoping you can do 4, which I'd assume would align with curriculum for many of the courses. I'm figuring that 1 on 1 I could probably get 2-4x the amount of training in the same amount of time.
Old 08-21-2018, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, the "private" training still follows FS curriculum rather than evaluating a shooter and working on his/her weaknesses or a specific items a shooter wishes to work on (e.g. transitions between multiple targets, shooting on the move etc.) ?
No they will work with you. Had a long conversation with staff before I bought the upgrade. It depend on what you want to do, should have been a little more clear. You can do a private four day if you want or work on something else in particular if you need to correct or improve.

I think the better thing would be to do the personal on areas of improvement rather than a 2 or 4 day class.
Old 08-27-2018, 6:47 AM

Thinking of a family vacation to FS in Spring - I Googled "FrontSight schedule."

One of the links that I got was Glassdoor's salary/employee review page...

This is what I read -

(PDF of a cached link to Glassdoor): https://www.dropbox.com/s/m11gj8ws8a...views.pdf?dl=0

Whoa!?! LOTS of disgruntled staff/employees...

But it's amazing that they can they still keep a professional demeanor with the students...

But still a Wow!!! on what has been written.

_
Old 08-27-2018, 8:19 AM

Yea, that’s been a sad and long standing issue. I’ve left some ammo for the instructors post class. Have any of you guys ‘tipped’ in other ways?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

That is the way it works in the “school” environment. Not that it is right but most guys use it to get into the industry or as a resume builder.

Dealt with this same exact thing when I worked at a driving school and other places that use the same business model. It is ugly but cost efficient. Keep the really good staff and pay them better and let the others flounder until they prove themselves otherwise. Makes for a corrosive and cut throat environment. Nature of the business unfortunately.
Old 08-27-2018, 6:59 PM

There goes my retirement plan. Thought it might be nice to pick that up as a retirement job

I do find the formulaic repetition of talking points kind of..... laughable. Even if there are only so many ways to recite the fundamentals. I suppose having a clean/rigid process is what allows for them to crank through the volume of customers that they do.
Old 08-27-2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
There goes my retirement plan. Thought it might be nice to pick that up as a retirement job

I do find the formulaic repetition of talking points kind of..... laughable. Even if there are only so many ways to recite the fundamentals. I suppose having a clean/rigid process is what allows for them to crank through the volume of customers that they do.
I wouldn’t throw out the idea totally. You might like it. Some of them did say it would be good if you didn’t have to depend on it. I’ve heard all this bad stuff and more over the years and I’m still considering it for myself part time.
Old 08-27-2018, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

So they pay somewhere $11-$21 an hour range. As long as you aren't dependent upon the money then it is no problem. There would be a lot of personal satisfaction knowing your helping people. It would not be an easy job with being outside all day rain shine or heat but it would have it's upsides. FS does not pay them for ammo used in demonstration. So would say do the job until it stops being fun. They hire people to come in and work a week here or there.

Having worked these types of businesses, once you understand how they work and how they generate the money and how they staff it is easier to accept the decision that they make. No you won't get rich working there but you could have fun and meet some really good employees and students along the way.
Old 08-28-2018, 6:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Additionally, realize for the area, they aren't bad paying jobs. It would be different if they were in one of the large metropolitan areas in California.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 08-28-2018, 8:20 PM

Insightful comments. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
Yea, that’s been a sad and long standing issue. I’ve left some ammo for the instructors post class. Have any of you guys ‘tipped’ in other ways?
Thanks for the tip! That is good to know. I will keep that in mind in my next class.

_
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM

Just know that the Range staff is not allowed to accept tips so if you choose to do it, be very discreet and expect they might give some push back.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:44 PM

They love ammo and always appreciate getting some....my experience!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
Couple questions for you FS guys/gals with more experience than me. I've taken 5 classes now after I got a cheap Diamond membership off Ebay and am addicted. I want to take them all but the private training is very appealing to me and I'm considering upgrading to President.

Here's my questions:
1. How many days can you schedule for private? Is it just 1 day at a time, or can you schedule 2 or 4? As in days in a row, so instead of doing a 4 day course, can you do a 4 day private?

2. Has the lead time in scheduling private classes gotten out of hand? From what I heard previously it was like 6 months, which is OK since I'm a planner but if it's insane now I might reconsider.

3. Can you put another private class on the calendar before completing one that's scheduled? IE it's August, say I have a private class scheduled in December, can I schedule one for like June next year now or do I have to complete my December session and then start over?

4. Is there anyone here with TBD President memberships that's interested in selling? I don't know if TBD President's are a thing or not but thought I'd check before I pay the good Dr. directly. If anyone has one to sell, I'd rather help a member get some money back on their investment rather than lining Pizza's pockets.

Any other thoughts/tips?
I've scheduled 2 day private classes and had 2 2-day classes on the calendar at once. Rifle skill-builder 2 months ago and precision rifle in 2 weeks.
Typically you can compress 4 days of regular classes into 2 days with private training. There is no set curriculum and you can work on whatever you want or the instructor will suggest drills to help you. If you need to DG, you can take the test more than once. The advantage for me is less time off work when I can schedule the classes for saturday-sunday.

Last edited by autoduel; 08-30-2018 at 12:55 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
I've scheduled 2 day private classes and had 2 2-day classes on the calendar at once. Rifle skill-builder 2 months ago and precision rifle in 2 weeks.
Typically you can compress 4 days of regular classes into 2 days with private training. There is no set curriculum and you can work on whatever you want or the instructor will suggest drills to help you. If you need to DG, you can take the test more than once. The advantage for me is less time off work when I can schedule the classes for saturday-sunday.
Thanks a bunch for this info, that was exactly what I was trying to find out. Sounds like the private training is exactly what I was hoping it would be.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:05 AM

Just tried to use my FS issued 20% off 5.11 cards and they’re all no-go.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Dang was planned by on using mine.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:27 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just tried to use my FS issued 20% off 5.11 cards and they’re all no-go.
You should look into ExpertVoice. Depending on your affiliation or expertise, such as, NRA, First Responder, etc, you can qualify to get up to 40% off MSRP on 5.11 and other brands.

https://www.experticity.com/
Old 09-11-2018, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
You should look into ExpertVoice. Depending on your affiliation or expertise, such as, NRA, First Responder, etc, you can qualify to get up to 40% off MSRP on 5.11 and other brands.

https://www.experticity.com/
I just tried to sign up for that and it wouldn't associate any organization affiliation - I tried every organization I could think of. Without an affiliation, it doesn't let you do anything.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I just tried to sign up for that and it wouldn't associate any organization affiliation - I tried every organization I could think of. Without an affiliation, it doesn't let you do anything.
you can "SKIP" that part. Click the "SKIP" in the top right corner
Old 09-11-2018, 8:38 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I used NRA and BSA.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:42 AM

Ok, can't Skip the initial process without an affiliation, so just closed that window. But I checked my email, confirmed email address, and now I can log in and find affiliations correctly. I think it's a bug with the initial setup process.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Expertcity is great for the pricing but inventory can be an issue. Their 5.11 supply was out of stock for months at a time last year.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:34 PM

Thanks to all that answered my questions and/or provided tips to my inquiry on taking the family out to FrontSight:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=9669

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=9702

That said, already have confirmed memberships for my wife and two kids. Class signups have been confirmed 4DDHG for my wife and myself, and the 4D kids' camp in December. Lodgings have already been confirmed, as well.

That said, a few more points:
  1. Would anyone know of the weather in December in Pahrump? I would assume warm clothing is a must! How warm (fluppy/bulky) the clothing need to be?
  2. For those staying in cabins, etc. - I would believe that you get your groceries, etc. from town?
  3. Would anyone happen to know the curriculum for the 4D children/youth camp, aside from what is mentioned on the website? Anything we need to consider? Any tips?
  4. Okay - so, am having my wife, a complete newbie, probably use my stock Glock 34 with a TLR1HL weapon light (to hopefully reduce muzzle rise). I will see if I can buy high-capacity magazines on the way for her to use in class (while I could give it to anyone interested post-class). Anything else to consider? Of course, a baseball cap, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.
  5. Yeah, once the new Walther P22 arrives - I can maybe start her on some basics, ie., safety, grip, sight picture/alignment, and trigger pull.
  6. That, already got my wife her own Uplula and electronic 'muff.
  7. Am thinking of using a range wagon to haul our stuff (gear, ammo, drinks, etc.) around FS. Thoughts?
  8. I would assume that my match Glock 34 (with a 3# trigger pull) would NOT be allowed at FrontSight as per the requirements in their website?
  9. If so, what do you guys think of me bringing either the H&K USP Expert 45 or the CZ 75 Tactical Sports 9? (If my CZ 75 SP-01 arrives in time, maybe...)
  10. I was reading through my ol' Handgun Dry Practice Guide (when I took the 2DDHG a couple of years back) - emergency reloads are such that I need to have the fresh magazine near the well before I can eject the empty AND the pistol is pointed downrange the entire time (as opposed what you see from tacti-cool classes or matches). I guess I can slow down my reload to follow the FS way..
  11. In the 4DDHG, concealment garment will be required only on the last day? (Never had to use concealment garment during the 2DDHG).

Anything I am missing anything else?

Thanks in advanced!!!

_
Old 09-12-2018, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Would anyone know of the weather in December in Pahrump? I would assume warm clothing is a must! How warm (fluppy/bulky) the clothing need to be?

If you are taking a class look for less bulky clothes like Thermal underwear and then layer. Stay away from bulky if you are going to be drawing from a holster.

For those staying in cabins, etc. - I would believe that you get your groceries, etc. from town?

There is a Walmart and other shopping stores. The one thing Pahrump doesn't have is a good restaurant.

Would anyone happen to know the curriculum for the 4D children/youth camp, aside from what is mentioned on the website? Anything we need to consider? Any tips?

Kids four day curriculum is good. They will repeat it twice.
Morning games and activities with hikes. After noon gun safety and shooting for the kids. The other day is activities and games and hiking. They will have fun but are divided into age groups. They do a great job with the kids. Make sure the kids have a good jacket, stuff is marked, and they have snacks. You will pick them up at lunch and drop them off a few minutes before you go back to class. All in all they will have a great time and make new friends.

Okay - so, am having my wife, a complete newbie, probably use my stock Glock 34 with a TLR1HL weapon light (to hopefully reduce muzzle rise). I will see if I can buy high-capacity magazines on the way for her to use in class (while I could give it to anyone interested post-class). Anything else to consider? Of course, a baseball cap, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.

A balaclava or shemag is great to take the sun off your neck and will help keep your head warm.
Bring a comfortable lawn chair, their steel chairs burn your butt in the summer and freeze you in the winter. Gloves, goggles (for when the wind blows hard).
Bring a dump bag to hold ammo and be able to load on the line.

Purchase ammo and mags from Ammo Supply Warehouse. You will have to use new ammo. Guy is solid and will meet you in Pahrump (Pa's Rump as me and my son call it) for delivery.

Yeah, once the new Walther P22 arrives - I can maybe start her on some basics, ie., safety, grip, sight picture/alignment, and trigger pull.
That, already got my wife her own Uplula and electronic 'muff.
Am thinking of using a range wagon to haul our stuff (gear, ammo, drinks, etc.) around FS. Thoughts?

Don't need it. You park right by your range.

I would assume that my match Glock 34 (with a 3# trigger pull) would NOT be allowed at FrontSight as per the requirements in their website?

Need a 4# trigger minimum. They will measure pull if they think it is too light.

If so, what do you guys think of me bringing either the H&K USP Expert 45 or the CZ 75 Tactical Sports 9? (If my CZ 75 SP-01 arrives in time, maybe...)

What ever you bring have at least 4 mags you don't care about as you will be throwing them onto the ground and they will get dinged.

I was reading through my ol' Handgun Dry Practice Guide (when I took the 2DDHG a couple of years back) - emergency reloads are such that I need to have the fresh magazine near the well before I can eject the empty AND the pistol is pointed downrange the entire time (as opposed what you see from tacti-cool classes or matches). I guess I can slow down my reload to follow the FS way..

Do it there way for the class and then modify afterwards.

In the 4DDHG, concealment garment will be required only on the last day? (Never had to use concealment garment during the 2DDHG)

To test out and get a score it has to be done with concealment. I would recommend doing the whole course with concealment just to learn the draw and get real quick with it.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 PM

My 2 cents:

The kids 4 day: No written curriculum I don’t think. They adapt to the conditions a lot changing as they go. My 5 yr old has been in the tunnels and after 17 years I still have not. They’ll have a blast.

Check the weather ahead of time. I had a rifle class in the rain. I was lucky enough to get the best rain jacket I’ve ever owned at the Pahrump Wal Mart. But, of course, take your own if it might rain.

Restaurants: I rely on Denny’s, Dominos, McDs for morning sandwiches and some really good lasagna at Nicco’s near the Saddle West. Gas station and supermarket sandwiches beat the boxed lunches on price and are about as good. YMMV.

Trigger pull: They seem to be much more strict these days. In May I saw a guy argue with the weapon checker and gunsmith about the light pull on his 1911. The guy claimed he’d used it in all his other classes but that day it was no good. Nobody broke out a gauge for an objective call, at least that I could see. Just pissed-off-ed-ness all the way around.

Keep up your good prep work.
Old 09-13-2018, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Thanks to all that answered my questions and/or provided tips to my inquiry on taking the family out to FrontSight:
The others pretty much summed it up!

I would recommend whatever gun your wife starts with, she continues to use for the entire four days unless there are real problems with weapon manipulation. This keeps everything the same throughout the class, instead of changing weapons with different controls, grips, sights and such.

I saw a lady do that once and she was nothing but confused for the whole four days- I felt bad for her, but her hubby was making it hard for her to learn.
Old 09-13-2018, 6:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=9669

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=9702

That said, already have confirmed memberships for my wife and two kids. Class signups have been confirmed 4DDHG for my wife and myself, and the 4D kids' camp in December. Lodgings have already been confirmed, as well.

That said, a few more points:
  1. Would anyone know of the weather in December in Pahrump? I would assume warm clothing is a must! How warm (fluppy/bulky) the clothing need to be?
  2. For those staying in cabins, etc. - I would believe that you get your groceries, etc. from town?
  3. Would anyone happen to know the curriculum for the 4D children/youth camp, aside from what is mentioned on the website? Anything we need to consider? Any tips?
  4. Okay - so, am having my wife, a complete newbie, probably use my stock Glock 34 with a TLR1HL weapon light (to hopefully reduce muzzle rise). I will see if I can buy high-capacity magazines on the way for her to use in class (while I could give it to anyone interested post-class). Anything else to consider? Of course, a baseball cap, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.
  5. Yeah, once the new Walther P22 arrives - I can maybe start her on some basics, ie., safety, grip, sight picture/alignment, and trigger pull.
  6. That, already got my wife her own Uplula and electronic 'muff.
  7. Am thinking of using a range wagon to haul our stuff (gear, ammo, drinks, etc.) around FS. Thoughts?
  8. I would assume that my match Glock 34 (with a 3# trigger pull) would NOT be allowed at FrontSight as per the requirements in their website?
  9. If so, what do you guys think of me bringing either the H&K USP Expert 45 or the CZ 75 Tactical Sports 9? (If my CZ 75 SP-01 arrives in time, maybe...)
  10. I was reading through my ol' Handgun Dry Practice Guide (when I took the 2DDHG a couple of years back) - emergency reloads are such that I need to have the fresh magazine near the well before I can eject the empty AND the pistol is pointed downrange the entire time (as opposed what you see from tacti-cool classes or matches). I guess I can slow down my reload to follow the FS way..
  11. In the 4DDHG, concealment garment will be required only on the last day? (Never had to use concealment garment during the 2DDHG).

Anything I am missing anything else?

Thanks in advanced!!!

_
Good for you for taking the class with the wife! Resist the urge to be her trainer, they will do that for you. Keep the peace, she'll have enough on her mind. Try to stand in the middle of the pack so she gets the most attention from the instructors.

As far as groceries go, you will be too tired to cook. Sandwiches or go out to dinner, forget about making that pot roast. You can preorder lunch or stand in the long lines at the trailer.

If you are going in December, you still have time to buy magblocks to stuff into your new 17 round mags, so you can bring them home legally. Or, I will be at Tact HG/Adv Tact HG to receive them from you after class LOL

Bring superglue and liquid bandage for those minor cuts. Gloves in case her hands get raw after a few days.

Magloader, magloader, magloader.

Gatorade powder, they supply the water.

Concealment now starts on Day 2 IIRC. No low cut blouses, plenty of hot brass flying looking for cleavages. Glasses need to cover the sides all the way to the temples. Shooting glasses/ eye pro are best.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 09-13-2018, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
If you are taking a class look for less bulky clothes like Thermal underwear and then layer. Stay away from bulky if you are going to be drawing from a holster.
Got it! Okay - need to check out Cycle Gear's Heat Out gear: https://www.cyclegear.com/heat-out

Quote:
There is a Walmart and other shopping stores. The one thing Pahrump doesn't have is a good restaurant.
Last time when I was in Pahrump - they had a decent Thai and Japanese restaurant.

Quote:
Kids four day curriculum is good. They will repeat it twice.
Morning games and activities with hikes. After noon gun safety and shooting for the kids. The other day is activities and games and hiking. They will have fun but are divided into age groups. They do a great job with the kids. Make sure the kids have a good jacket, stuff is marked, and they have snacks. You will pick them up at lunch and drop them off a few minutes before you go back to class. All in all they will have a great time and make new friends.
Noted! Thanks!

Quote:
A balaclava or shemag is great to take the sun off your neck and will help keep your head warm.
Bring a comfortable lawn chair, their steel chairs burn your butt in the summer and freeze you in the winter. Gloves, goggles (for when the wind blows hard).
Bring a dump bag to hold ammo and be able to load on the line.
Got it!

I already have my own schemag, gloves, dump bag and chair. I need to add those my wife's list as well.

Quote:
Purchase ammo and mags from Ammo Supply Warehouse. You will have to use new ammo. Guy is solid and will meet you in Pahrump (Pa's Rump as me and my son call it) for delivery.
Sweet...!!! I didn't know that Ammo Supply also had magazines! I just checked their website - a revamp from when I previously used them.

Which means, I don't need to take the longer route to Pahrump to pass by a gun shop.

Quote:
What ever you bring have at least 4 mags you don't care about as you will be throwing them onto the ground and they will get dinged.
Got it! Well, that is what magazines are for...

Quote:
Do it there way for the class and then modify afterwards.
Afterwards? As in after completing the class (4DDHG)?

Quote:
To test out and get a score it has to be done with concealment. I would recommend doing the whole course with concealment just to learn the draw and get real quick with it.
Will it be a mandatory to take the test? It will be good, and my wife may probably take it. But personally, am not really interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
The kids 4 day: No written curriculum I don’t think. They adapt to the conditions a lot changing as they go. My 5 yr old has been in the tunnels and after 17 years I still have not. They’ll have a blast.

Quote:
Check the weather ahead of time. I had a rifle class in the rain. I was lucky enough to get the best rain jacket I’ve ever owned at the Pahrump Wal Mart. But, of course, take your own if it might rain.
Rain jacket has been added to the To-Bring list!

Quote:
Restaurants: I rely on Denny’s, Dominos, McDs for morning sandwiches and some really good lasagna at Nicco’s near the Saddle West. Gas station and supermarket sandwiches beat the boxed lunches on price and are about as good. YMMV.
That may be difficult. My lodging is closer to Front Sight, south of town. Heading to McDo, or the gas stations/supermarkets would be in the opposite direction. Hhhhmmm... Need to figure something out regardless since the kids have sort-of a restrictive diet.

Quote:
Trigger pull: They seem to be much more strict these days. In May I saw a guy argue with the weapon checker and gunsmith about the light pull on his 1911. The guy claimed he’d used it in all his other classes but that day it was no good. Nobody broke out a gauge for an objective call, at least that I could see. Just pissed-off-ed-ness all the way around.
Noted! Stock trigger it will be - most likely the H&K USP Expert 45.

Quote:
Keep up your good prep work.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber View Post
I would recommend whatever gun your wife starts with, she continues to use for the entire four days unless there are real problems with weapon manipulation. This keeps everything the same throughout the class, instead of changing weapons with different controls, grips, sights and such.

I saw a lady do that once and she was nothing but confused for the whole four days- I felt bad for her, but her hubby was making it hard for her to learn.
No worries on that as that will be the intent. Yes, there will be a backup - it's a Glock 19; but it will be the same platform. I wonder why a husband would do that?

Cheers!

_
Old 09-13-2018, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Good for you for taking the class with the wife! Resist the urge to be her trainer, they will do that for you. Keep the peace, she'll have enough on her mind. Try to stand in the middle of the pack so she gets the most attention from the instructors.
Being her trainer wasn't really the intent. My original plan was to take another class while she takes the 4DDHG.

However, opinions abound on how to take this... But for now, I guess there is lots of time to figure it out, ie., should I have her partner with someone else, etc.

Quote:
As far as groceries go, you will be too tired to cook. Sandwiches or go out to dinner, forget about making that pot roast. You can preorder lunch or stand in the long lines at the trailer.
Yeah, I guess you're right! Would definitely need to figure this out...

Quote:
If you are going in December, you still have time to buy magblocks to stuff into your new 17 round mags, so you can bring them home legally. Or, I will be at Tact HG/Adv Tact HG to receive them from you after class LOL
*LOL* That can be arranged!

Quote:
Bring superglue and liquid bandage for those minor cuts. Gloves in case her hands get raw after a few days.
There is a first aid kit in the vehicle and I have trauma kit in my range bag. Yes, will definitely need to get her own gloves as well.

Quote:
Magloader, magloader, magloader.
Checked! Black and PINK!

Quote:
Glasses need to cover the sides all the way to the temples. Shooting glasses/ eye pro are best.
Several ESS shooting glasses at home.

Will a handheld flashlight be required?

_
Old 09-13-2018, 7:17 AM

Glock 34 is fine for your wife, but ditch the weapons mounted light. For a newbie, the light will interfere with holstering/un-holstering, chamber checks, etc and add bulk to the setup.

Would recommend NOT being your wife's coach, but rather being on the firing line NEXT to her....
Old 09-13-2018, 7:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Being her trainer wasn't really the intent. My original plan was to take another class while she takes the 4DDHG.

However, opinions abound on how to take this... But for now, I guess there is lots of time to figure it out, ie., should I have her partner with someone else, etc.

Yeah, I guess you're right! Would definitely need to figure this out...

*LOL* That can be arranged!

There is a first aid kit in the vehicle and I have trauma kit in my range bag. Yes, will definitely need to get her own gloves as well.

Checked! Black and PINK!

Several ESS shooting glasses at home.

Will a handheld flashlight be required?

_
Yes, I can remember when you were going to take four day rifle separate from her.

If your kids have special dietary needs, consider cooking the meals at home and freezing them in containers. Most frozen foods will survive the short flight, or if you are driving, carrying them in a large container packed with ice will keep them fresh. If you are staying in those hotels, they tend to have refrigerators, wineRidge RV has full-size refrigerators with full sized freezers.

If it wasn't for your kids special dietary needs, El Jefé Mexican and Oh Jah Japanese are not too bad. Better than what I can prepare in a few minutes in the cottage.

No need for handheld flashlight until Tactical Handgun.

Old 09-13-2018, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

No flashlight is needed unless you are signed up for night shooting.

You are not required to take the final. If you want to take more advanced classes you have to score a DG. I saw people bow out of the test due to the stress of possibly failing.

As for modifying what they teach do it after the class. They have a method and a madness to it. It makes sense but does not work for all. Take the training with an open mind and use what is beneficial.

They hold the classes no matter the weather. Be prepared for you and your kids. First time I went out I took five different jackets and sweatshirts to see what worked. Ended up using them all at once because I was freezing. Best advice is to have fun though.
Old 09-13-2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post
Glock 34 is fine for your wife, but ditch the weapons mounted light. For a newbie, the light will interfere with holstering/un-holstering, chamber checks, etc and add bulk to the setup.
Noted!

Quote:
Would recommend NOT being your wife's coach, but rather being on the firing line NEXT to her....
I'm guessing that I'll just have to request this setup with the instructors.

Quote:
If you are staying in those hotels, they tend to have refrigerators, wineRidge RV has full-size refrigerators with full sized freezers.
We would be staying at Wine Ridge RV.

Quote:
If it wasn't for your kids special dietary needs, El Jefé Mexican and Oh Jah Japanese are not too bad. Better than what I can prepare in a few minutes in the cottage.
Well, that is what I previously mentioned in a separate post - there are actually a few decent restaurants in Pahrump. ... And Oh Jah Japanese was actually on my list.

That said, what I meant on my kids' dietary needs - they eat only Japanese food (my wife is Japanese). It is very difficult to get them to eat anything else... Hahaha! So, I guess we would be preparing "Onigiri" (rice balls) for their lunch.

Quote:
No need for handheld flashlight until Tactical Handgun.
Noted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
You are not required to take the final. If you want to take more advanced classes you have to score a DG. I saw people bow out of the test due to the stress of possibly failing.
To be honest - I don't see myself taking the more advanced classes, anyway. Hence my lack of interest in taking the test... But then again, it may make for an interesting challenge/motivator.

As for...

Quote:
As for modifying what they teach do it after the class. They have a method and a madness to it. It makes sense but does not work for all. Take the training with an open mind and use what is beneficial.
I have taken the 2DDHG class before, a couple of months when I got started into firearms. In the couple of years after that, I guess my shooting style has evolved differently from what I learned at Front Sight.

Again, I'm not saying that the FS way is bad - it is just that it doesn't work for me... Well, some do - I use what is beneficial - the malfunction clearances/drills, after action, drawing from concealment, holstering, etc.

And that is also one reason I preferred to NOT take the 4DDHG with my wife, ie., would be taking a different course. However, most on the forums suggested that it would beneficial to my wife that I am there with her. Hence, here I am...

Quote:
Best advice is to have fun though.
You bet!!!!

_

Last edited by rodralig; 09-13-2018 at 9:46 PM..
Old 09-13-2018, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well, that is what I previously mentioned in a separate post - there are actually a few decent restaurants in Pahrump. ... And Oh Jah Japanese was actually on my list.

That said, what I meant on my kids' dietary needs - they eat only Japanese food (my wife is Japanese). It is very difficult to get them to eat anything else... Hahaha! So, I guess we would be preparing "Onigiri" (rice balls) for their lunch.
If that is the case, pack a small rice cooker with you. The WineRidge has basic pots and pans, but if you need more specific utensils, you may need to bring them with you. I suspect you are driving from Rowland Heights. There is an Albertson's supermarket in town, but don't count on them having even sushi (I never looked for it)

Which weekend are you going in December?

Old 09-14-2018, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...[*]I would assume that my match Glock 34 (with a 3# trigger pull) would NOT be allowed at FrontSight as per the requirements in their website?[*]If so, what do you guys think of me bringing either the H&K USP Expert 45 or the CZ 75 Tactical Sports 9? (If my CZ 75 SP-01 arrives in time, maybe...)...
Well, you can always check in with wife's Glock 34 (or any other gun) and switch to yours for the class

CZ TS has ~2 lbs trigger pull out of the factory, so most likely will not pass either.
Old 09-14-2018, 6:34 AM

Quote:
If that is the case, pack a small rice cooker with you. The WineRidge has basic pots and pans, but if you need more specific utensils, you may need to bring them with you. I suspect you are driving from Rowland Heights. There is an Albertson's supermarket in town, but don't count on them having even sushi (I never looked for it)
*nod* Driving all the way from Rowland Heights!

Yes, was thinking that Albertson's would have the necessary ingredients for the wife to come up with something... Hhhhmmm... I think that will do!

Thanks for the note on rice cooker and any specific utensils - I'll add it to my To Bring list.

Quote:
Which weekend are you going in December?
We will be in the 3rd weekend.

Quote:
Well, you can always check in with wife's Glock 34 (or any other gun) and switch to yours for the class
Hahaha!!!

Quote:
CZ TS has ~2 lbs trigger pull out of the factory, so most likely will not pass either.
Really? The TS has been with me for a few months now but I never did notice that... Hhhhmmm... I guess I just don't shoot it much. Round count right now is about 100. I will have to check it out tonight once I come back from work.

Well, I think it would be the H&K USP Expert 45 for me then... I'm really loving the pistol and the 45ACP is a good thing to "practice" my fundamentals.

Anyways, before Pahrump in December, I will be in Boulder City NV in mid-October. Got offered a free 2-day class with JJ Racaza! All I have to shoulder are transportation, lodging, food and ammo! Sweet!

Taking this class will seriously put me out of sync with FrontSight's basics.

Oh well... Will see....

_