Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-17-2018, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't trust aluminum cased ammo for SD because I don't trust anything besides Federal HST or Gold Dot. Federal 9BPLE is the only exception I'll make if I have to.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:49 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

I have never had any issues with Al cases, they all went bang and never an issue with feeding. I even reloaded some once, 16 rounds (2 mags worth) just to say I did and they went bang.

In normal conditions that you should keep your gun in, I would expect no corrosion or issues with long term storage of Al cased ammo.

For SD, I would prefer better ammo, I actually think my life is worth the few extra dollars that better ammo would cost, you of course may have a different opinion of what your life is worth. Unless its a revolver, I would never trust my life to a gun in which I have not run hundreds or more of the same ammo without failure of any kind. Yeah, it gets expensive to buy 200+ defensive rounds for plinking and function testing when you first buy the gun. And then periodically (twice a year ?) shoot through another box or 2 of defensive rounds just to make sure. In my opinion, if you are not willing or financially able to do that, you are far better off going back to a revolver for SD
Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Cool. How do you like that BG380? I have a P380 I'm fond of.

Yep, my Makarov is just one of those guns in the dial combo safe that's loaded... not really ever grabbed first or last. There are Glocks and pump shotguns around. My cases had grey marks and scratches but nothing that didn't wipe away with my finger. Knowing the Makarov, it would just blow through whatever it got fed and I'm not worried about a Blazer case rusting through and exploding. Definitely I'd check a chambered steel cased round in something like an SKS that was shot in the rain and put away loaded and dirty... but that doesn't happen. Last time I recall seeing rust on a gun was a wet shotgun sling touching the barrel for a few weeks. I know it happens when you don't take care of guns... I've seen S&W's pulled out of closets that had plenty of red stuff. Typically mine just have CLP on them and stuff that sits like Mausers will get a shot of CLP from a aerosol can with the little tube foamed at the muzzle to let it slide down the barrel to the bolt once a year or so if I feel like it. Seems to work. Real world datapoint
My S&W Bodyguard 380 has proven very reliable. With a few hundred rounds sent downrange I have not experienced any light strikes, failure to feed/fire/extract. I like the idea of having the re-strike capability of the DA only feature. The sights arenít the best for precision work or night shooting, but will do for a pocket pistol. It does have the OEM laser. I have 3 loaded mags with the pistol. 1 in the pipe is a hollow point with 6 more in the mag thatís in the pistol. My other 2 mags are loaded with flat nose FMJ. The pistol is equipped with a safety, but I do not activate it. When I do have to pick up this pistol if I hear a strange noise around the house I just reaffirm the safety is off. Unfortunately my wife likes this pistol, so if she wakes up the BG380 is her preferred pistol. I will then use the G23 if not the 12 gauge pump.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
My S&W Bodyguard 380 has proven very reliable. With a few hundred rounds sent downrange I have not experienced any light strikes, failure to feed/fire/extract. I like the idea of having the re-strike capability of the DA only feature. The sights aren’t the best for precision work or night shooting, but will do for a pocket pistol. It does have the OEM laser. I have 3 loaded mags with the pistol. 1 in the pipe is a hollow point with 6 more in the mag that’s in the pistol. My other 2 mags are loaded with flat nose FMJ. The pistol is equipped with a safety, but I do not activate it. When I do have to pick up this pistol if I hear a strange noise around the house I just reaffirm the safety is off. Unfortunately my wife likes this pistol, so if she wakes up the BG380 is her preferred pistol. I will then use the G23 if not the 12 gauge pump.
Re-strike is pretty cool... if for nothing else, dry firing is easy. Unfortunately I only have that on an old Taurus hahah. I still don't think the old PT111 is a bad pistol. I used to carry it around the house all the time and didn't even notice it was there but I never dropped it Sig P320 style.

I stocked up on the PMC Bronze .380 for my Kahr because I like the round nosed and it was cheap. Also have the Critical Duty/Defense Flex locks.
Old 05-17-2018, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
If Al ammo bothers you well just wait a while. Was reading an article in a very recent magazine about a company called something? Velocity making plastic cased rifle ammo. Their claim is that it is superior to brass in just about every way. The article did not address reloading just cost, weight and ballistics.
Can Al or steel be reloaded?

I also read about a company testing alloys of Al, brass, nickle etc, etc. The claim was that they can make a bullet case that is superior and cheaper than brass.

Shotgun shells have been made from plastics and paper; why not handgun/rifle rounds?

Any Al rimfire?
Plastic cases have been done with 38 Special I've seen, used and fired them. I can't remember if has been done in past beyond prototypes with rifle rounds. Ever notice CCI Blazer doesn't come in rifle cartridges?

I've never seen aluminum 22lr I don't know if there is a reason for that. I have seen 22lr steel case and used it. Russian Junior brand, isn't very good.
Old 05-17-2018, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
There are plenty of tests that show a BG made of gel and several layers of denim would consistently be damaged by HST rounds... I dunno about Dolce and Gabbana or what they are made of. How about LRG, Echo, or FUBU?

Polarizing thread! Keep up the good work guys!
I'd totally buy FUBU branded ammo.
Old 05-17-2018, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I'd totally buy FUBU branded ammo.
Totally, G. Especially if it came with swag... like a FUBU logo velcro tactical patch with raised orange carpet-style font like a letterman's jacket. Booyah.

Probably not going to stop HST HP's just like denim won't but kids just care about looks and telling cool stories these days.
Old 05-17-2018, 8:39 PM

I have been shooting aluminum case ammunition for years, never had a single problem. Most recently I have been using the 115gr Herter's TNJ(total nylon jacket)in my 9mm AR, and no ammunition related problems there as well. I never saw anything but FMJ, or TNJ so can't comment on using for defense,
Old 05-17-2018, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have never had aluminum cased ammo FTF in a firearm. I shoot my AR, my M&P 9 and my RIA 1911 and never once had a jam, FTF or any other issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osier77 View Post
If I ever build a tractor pull truck I'm naming it "Hobo Peen"
Old 05-17-2018, 9:26 PM

I won't talk about the aluminum cased cartridges. I have never used any.

As far as leaving them loaded for decade: You should take the firearm and the magazines to the range once in a while. The magazine springs may go bad. And you would only know it by testing it.

Its rare. But, still. take your guns out and fire them. Especially if it your goto firearm for responding to bad guys.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher761 View Post
I won't talk about the aluminum cased cartridges. I have never used any.

As far as leaving them loaded for decade: You should take the firearm and the magazines to the range once in a while. The magazine springs may go bad. And you would only know it by testing it.

Its rare. But, still. take your guns out and fire them. Especially if it your goto firearm for responding to bad guys.
You have seen magazine springs left under tension go bad or you are guessing ??
Old 05-17-2018, 9:35 PM

I also picked up some aluminum 9mm by accident once. Ended up shooting it and it is way lighter than brass. Loaded up my shield magazine and carried it around. It's amazing how much weight the aluminum reduces.

WTB
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**
Old 05-17-2018, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Do you think the BGs will know you have the 2nd Team in if you use aluminum or steel case ammo? What would happen if someone was pulling you leg in the meantime?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
I have never had any issues with Al cases, they all went bang and never an issue with feeding. I even reloaded some once, 16 rounds (2 mags worth) just to say I did and they went bang....
I reloaded aluminum cases, and they shot as well as brass.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
I reloaded aluminum cases, and they shot as well as brass.
How did you manage this they are usually Berdan primed and I think CCI uses an odd size too of primer. Did you actually go to the trouble of depriming Berdan aluminum cases and tracking down Berdan primers?
Old 05-18-2018, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I also picked up some aluminum 9mm by accident once. Ended up shooting it and it is way lighter than brass. Loaded up my shield magazine and carried it around. It's amazing how much weight the aluminum reduces.
Yeah, it can be noticeable - especially in lightweight guns. 10 rounds of 124gr 9mm vs 10 rounds of Blaser 115gr in a Glock mag is a bit - I’d like to see the difference for a loaded standard capacity G17 magazine with duty brass loads vs those new polymer matrix/aluminum-steel cased loads.

And I’m not against FMJ for defending oneself, under the right circumstances.

Last edited by plumbum; 05-18-2018 at 7:56 AM..
Old 05-18-2018, 7:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yup, the aluminum cases originally had odd sized primers as the cases are only supposed to be used once.
This was done to prevent reloading.

Did they later changed to standard size primers?
Old 05-18-2018, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
And Iím not against FMJ for defending oneself, under the right circumstances.
I'm not either if it is really a matter of HP's stopping adequate penetration... and not just internet FUD based on too much Googling and not enough filtering chaff mixed with zero experience. That's why I have FMJ .380's... but it is not an issue with even the standard powder load Federal HST 147 grain 9mm IMHO. Dolce or no Dolce.
Old 05-18-2018, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Been doing some Google research on the drawbacks of aluminum cased ammo. So far, I'm seeing lots of "it's great & cost-effective for range shooting" statements. But I'm also getting a faint gist from some that it is slightly less reliable than brass, and hence best left for range use only. I even ran across one claim that leaving aluminum cased bullets in your mags long term (as one might do for home self defense, for instance) may cause them to deform and malfunction.
Sometimes looking for a quick answer to a question is not the best way to proceed. You are in no rush and you have weeks and months to answer this question for yourself.

Let me suggest that you add to your "database" by doing some work yourself, with your guns, in your hands and the ammo you are asking about. It involves you getting some of the ammo you are interested in and going to the range and shooting. Yep I know, going to the range, paying attention to what you do, taking notes and shooting, is a tremendous burden for the modern shooter and the last thing any shooter wants to do when you can get an answer on the intertubes that's free and quick. But shooting that ammo from your guns, by you, is the only way to get an answer that means anything.

Go to the range with your guns and the al. cased ammo and shoot. Shoot different brands of al cased ammo, in your different guns and see what transpires. Do that for as long, and as many different visits, as it takes for you to be satisfied with the results. Then you will know.

Ammo, whether brass, steel or aluminum cased, can corrode if stored in moist or damp conditions for a long enough piece of time (meaning years or decades). It will do this in a factory box, a plastic box or a loaded mag. So don't do that. Keep it safe and dry and check it, and rotate it occasionally.

No ammo, brass or al will deform from just sitting in a mag. Why would it? You can think that one out. No need for experiment on that one.

tipoc
Old 05-18-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
No ammo, brass or al will deform from just sitting in a mag. Why would it? You can think that one out. No need for experiment on that one.

tipoc
Exactly... a full cartridge is fairly ridgid. People think of AL as a soft metal... what do you think brass is like?? Go shoot some and then try to crush an AL case and a brass case. What did you find out? Do you think the AL Blazers are made of the same stuff as your pepsi can? Probably not. 30 cal Loaded metal cartridges are not like 70 cal loaded soft plastic shotgun hulls. All of this as always IMHO. Consider me just some guy on the internet. You need to take any info and form an opinion. Hopefully mix in a good dose of your own experience and common sense.