Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-27-2012, 1:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Project Remington 700 in .308 - Pictures & Upgrades

First and foremost let me start by saying this entire project is based around reloading my own ammo.

I started reloading about 4-5 months ago for my bench rest AR-15 and the results where amazing. Not only was I able to shoot some of the best groups in my life using ammo I made myself, it opened my eyes to how important ammo selection really is. This prompted my purchase for my first bolt action rifle to see what I can do behind the trigger with my own reloads.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Win
AICS 2.0 Chassis
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 FFP Scope
RCBS RockChucker Single Stage Reloading Kit (my second press)
Harris Bipod, which will be upgraded to the Atlas once I get a custom mount machined to fit the NV mount which is on the AICS.

Picture of AISC 2.0 stripped chassis and skin. This was done to confirm all bolts were torqued down the manufactures specifications.

Tools: torque wrench, a must have item.

I had 3 scopes to choose from for this rifle. Millet TRS-1, Vortex PST 4-16 FFP, and the SWFA 5-20 FFP, and the SWFA scope will be used.

RCBS Rock Chucker Reloading Kit, my second press to my RCBS Pro 2000 Auto Index Progressive.

Assembled rifle: after cleaning, installing barreled action, torqueing everything down to manufacture specification. Only items to change from the picture is the addition of a 1 piece base and 30mm rings to accommodate the optic.

I am still waiting on my shipment for a set of rings and a base for this rifle to complete the build.

Hornady 168gr A-Max bullets will be used for my first load using both Varget and H4895 for load dev.

Future upgrade may include a custom barreled action depending on the results from field testing.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 12-28-2012 at 8:31 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post

Hornady 168gr A-Max bullets will be used for my first load using both Varget and H495 for load dev.
Fixed it for ya! 16gr would probably be blown to bits with any charge. I have been playing with the 168gr too but been using TAC, been around the 1/2-3/4moa. Found my sweet spot, so im gonna tey 178gr amax for little longer range. Once I find the sweet spot for that I'll develop with Varget too. What dies are you getting?

Rifle looks good. I had the luck to try all three stocks I was looking at AICS, JAE, B&C. I liked the JAE the best but only a little more than the B&C, just could justify spending the extra money and waiting a year. I just didn't like the thumb hole on the AICS. Got a Badger one piece base, bedded it, and an American Defense 1 piece scope mount with 20moa built in. Love my set up, just haven't taken good pics yet.

Last edited by mroels; 10-27-2012 at 1:59 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 2:09 AM
Calguns Addict

The dies I have available as of right now are the RCBS FL .308 Die set, the RCBS Neck Sizing die, Lee FCD, and I may add a Redding comp seating die if I see the need for it.

I’ve looked at many chassis and stocks before I settled on the AICS. The ergonomics just feel good to me, so that was my decision. Next one the list would have been the JP or the XLR.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-27-2012 at 2:12 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 2:38 AM

What's the barrel length on that rifle? I presume it's a 26" 1/12?

If I had the funds for the AICS AX I'd probably have gone that route, because other than the thumb hole I like the chassis.

I'm using Redding FL sizer, Lee Collet neck sizer (no lube needed), and rcbs comp seater. Getting good results. I'm tempted to get the RCBS X die and just only FL size, just to avoid having to trim cases.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:36 AM

http://www.victorcompanyusa.com/viperskins.html

For all of those peeps who dont like the thumb hole but like the chassis system.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Great choice on chassis!
Old 10-27-2012, 7:00 AM

Any trigger plans?

About how much was it to get all the reloading tools? Ammo parts?
Old 10-27-2012, 7:01 AM

Sps tactical is a 20" heavy contour barrel
Old 10-27-2012, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Very nice!
Old 10-27-2012, 9:46 AM

Quote:
The dies I have available as of right now are the RCBS FL .308 Die set, the RCBS Neck Sizing die, Lee FCD, and I may add a Redding comp seating die if I see the need for it.
Depending upon how "into it" you get, the Redding type S neck & FL sizers are a nice, economical die set that allow you to control neck tension...one more piece to the accuracy equation when shooting longer distances.

The Redding comp. seater will give nice results with little runout. Wilson seater dies with an arbor press for seating bullets give a better feel for seating pressures required.

If you're happy with 1" groups, I wouldn't waste the money. If you want 5 shots in the same hole, the above is just food for thought.

-Rick

PS - Since it's probably gonna be in your near future...Badger, Phoenix Custom Arms, KMW all have nice bolt knobs.

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 10-27-2012 at 9:50 AM.. Reason: Rifle needs a bolt knob...
Old 10-27-2012, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveguns View Post
http://www.victorcompanyusa.com/viperskins.html

For all of those peeps who dont like the thumb hole but like the chassis system.
I thought about that option but it was just too expensive for me to go that route. Rather spend money on range time
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Wooo that baby looks nice.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Banned

Very nice set up. You should come out and shoot some matches with it. You may also want to try hornadys BTHP match bullets.

Last edited by Stoopy; 10-27-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM

When checking the torque on the chassis, do you have to do them is a specific order? Did you loosen each bolt and re-torque?
Old 10-27-2012, 3:56 PM

Nice, man. Im making 168 AMAX w/ varget loads right now for my Savage w/ McGowen 1:11 26" barrel.
Look forward to seeing your results. Shoot me the recipe you end up liking too, if you want.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Great choice on chassis!
Thanks! It’s the very first thing I changed on the rifle… it was a bit of a splurge buy but I’ve always wanted to shoot with the AICS. The factory Hogue stock wasn’t going to cut it for me. I find ergonomics play an important and it was very hard to get comfortable using the OEM stock.
Old 10-27-2012, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootA View Post
Any trigger plans?

About how much was it to get all the reloading tools? Ammo parts?
I do have plans for a trigger upgrade as it’s using the factory Mark-X trigger right now, and it’s OK… but I figure I shoot it first before I change it because I tend to appreciate upgrades like that a lot more after using something not as nice. I will probably end up with a Timney or Jewell once I have a chance to try them both out.

Another reason I didn’t get a trigger upgrade right out the gate is because I wasn’t in the mood to mod the chassis to accommodate it. (Picture taken from internet)

The reloading press was an early birthday gift from my girlfriend. Yes I know… lucky guy, and she helps me sort brass and do case prep work too.

The press was about $300 with some other odds and ends plus the cost of dies and components. I already had everything else needed to reload including trimmer, calibers, tumbler, and other reloading tools. I typically load everything on my progressive, but I just wanted a single stage for loading .308 so I can just leave my progressive alone.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-27-2012 at 5:08 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootA View Post
When checking the torque on the chassis, do you have to do them is a specific order? Did you loosen each bolt and re-torque?
I disassembled the entire thing just because I wanted to be thorough.

I removed the skins, checked all factory welds, roll, pins and screws. I did not re-torque those, but I just made sure nothing was loose or out of place.

Cleaning everything then assembled and torqued the skins back on to 7 inch-lbs.

Cleaned and Frog lubed out outside of the barrel and action then torqued the action screws in the chassis to about 53 in/lb. I will fire then re-torque it again incase anything needed to settle in.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-27-2012 at 5:33 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroels View Post
What's the barrel length on that rifle? I presume it's a 26" 1/12?

It’s actually a 20” barrel on the SPS Tactical with a 1:12 twist rate.

I had my reasons for going with a shorter barrel… I like my rifles compact, and realistically at the ranges I shoot at, the 20” will be sufficient. I looked at the ballistics and I decided a smaller footprint is what I wanted.

20” with the combination of the AISC 2.0 folding chassis actually gives me a shorter package when folded than a typical 16” AR-15 with the stock fully collapsed. It also allowed me to use my existing pelican case.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 12-28-2012 at 8:31 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 5:25 PM
CGN Contributor

Nice, component choices!
I think I would have gone 6.5C or 300WM (if I reloaded) but otherwise, thats a nice blue print for a 308 rig! Lets hear about the barrel break-in and load testing soon!
Old 10-27-2012, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalXD View Post
Nice, component choices!
I think I would have gone 6.5C or 300WM (if I reloaded) but otherwise, thats a nice blue print for a 308 rig! Lets hear about the barrel break-in and load testing soon!
Those calibers were on my mind and under consideration for a while, especially the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260…

I think if I went with one of those calibers, I would end up wanting to go all out and start with a custom barreled action. The choice to go with the SPS Tac in .308 was more of a budget conscious decision… which I can easily sell down the road if I ever wanted to kick it up another notch.
Old 10-28-2012, 2:08 PM

Have you tried any of the Sierra brand match BTHP bullets?
I have bought both the 168 and 175 factory Federal Gold Match ammo.
Bought the 168g bulk BTHP Match bullets but still need to buy the 175g, and compare which my Rem 700 likes best. I think I have some Hornady I need to throw into the mix for comparison.
Best of luck.
Old 10-28-2012, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

looks nice. I would like to do something similar to that with mine sometime.
Old 10-28-2012, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 10-28-2012, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks! It’s the very first thing I changed on the rifle… it was a bit of a splurge buy but I’ve always wanted to shoot with the AICS. The factory Hogue stock wasn’t going to cut it for me. I find ergonomics play an important and it was very hard to get comfortable using the OEM stock.
I have my SPS on the same stock... except it's a 1.5 not a 2.0 to my extreme regret.