Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-18-2011, 2:06 PM

Question 1 AR lower is compatible with .223, .308, 22Lr uppers?

High sorry if this question is a re post. So if i were to get a basic AR lower i could then attach and switch out any upper on it correct? Such as a .223, .308, or 22lr upper. So if i have the 3 uppers and one lower i can essentially have 3 weapons by just switching out the upper? Is it more complicated then that? Or am i way off and its not even possible? Please let me know, and thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 2:13 PM

Not exactly. Anything that can fit in the magwell of an AR 15 type lower there is probably some upper for it. A .308 wont fit, but there are uppers for the longer cartridges.

Some one may make an upper that will shoot some of the longer cartridges for a standard AR 15 lower, but for the most part they are mainly bolt action single shot and of the very large calibers (think .338 LM, 50 BMG, etc).
Old 07-18-2011, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Any typical AR-15 lower can hold calibers from 762x39 all the way down to .22lr.

The beauty with having an AR chambered in any rimfire cartridge is that you can have all the "evil features" listed in the CA AW Ban as you want, and no needed BB. Once the rifle is chambered in any center fire cartridge, then you need to respect CA Law and throw a BB/ go featureless -on said rifle.

.308 however requires it's own lower which you can buy from any CA Gun shop or online Just make sure it's not listed on the CA AW Ban by name.
Old 07-18-2011, 2:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

They already addressed the "fit" quesion for you.

Legally, you need to make sure the lower says something like MULTI-CAL and does not have a specific caliber engraved on it. There is an ATF opinion letter saying it is a no go to mix and match calibers if it is actually engraved on the lower. But if the lower says Multi-Cal then you can do it.
Old 07-18-2011, 2:57 PM

Cool thanks guys
Old 07-18-2011, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

What? Your lower doesn't need to say mult-cal in order to use a different cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post

Legally, you need to make sure the lower says something like MULTI-CAL and does not have a specific caliber engraved on it. There is an ATF opinion letter saying it is a no go to mix and match calibers if it is actually engraved on the lower. But if the lower says Multi-Cal then you can do it.
Old 07-18-2011, 3:25 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

I'd love to see that opinion letter.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-18-2011, 3:29 PM

Quote:

I am very surprised by this. Do you have a copy of this letter?

I would like to say something profound here...
Old 07-18-2011, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Old 07-18-2011, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

With the .22 conversions, you may have to change the hammer, if it is the "notched" profile, to the round profile. On one rifle (a Colt SP1), in order to use the Ciener conversion for .22LR, I had to dress down the top of the bolt stop where it contacts the bolt carrier. That did not affect function when firing 5.56.
Old 07-18-2011, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

AR15 lower
.22lr
6.5 Grendal
6.8SPC
.300 whisper
7.62x25
7.62x39
.450 Bushmaster
.458 Socom
.50 Beowulf
9mm

I know I missed a couple but those are the main ones

AR10 lower
6mm, 6.5mm,7mm,.30,.338
Old 07-18-2011, 8:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

You can have a .308 upper, 50 DTC or pretty much any caliber upper on an AR15 lower..... If the round is bigger then the AR15 magwell, they are usually single load bolt style.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762.D3A7H View Post
Any typical AR-15 lower can hold calibers from 762x39 all the way down to .22lr.

The beauty with having an AR chambered in any rimfire cartridge is that you can have all the "evil features" listed in the CA AW Ban as you want, and no needed BB. Once the rifle is chambered in any center fire cartridge, then you need to respect CA Law and throw a BB/ go featureless -on said rifle.

.308 however requires it's own lower which you can buy from any CA Gun shop or online Just make sure it's not listed on the CA AW Ban by name.
so if i add the CMMG 22lr conv to my AR i can have no BB and a 30 round mag capacity?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUKAK View Post
so if i add the CMMG 22lr conv to my AR i can have no BB and a 30 round mag capacity?
If you already have the 30 round mags. Selling (and thus buying) 11+ round mags in CA is largely banned under PC 12020, which is a completely separate penal code from the AW ban.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
If you already have the 30 round mags. Selling (and thus buying) 11+ round mags in CA is largely banned under PC 12020, which is a completely separate penal code from the AW ban.
even for 22lr?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
even for 22lr?
Yes, A magazine over 10 rnds in anything bigger then a BB gun is a felony.
Old 07-19-2011, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Umm... No. You can have it marked with .223, 6.8, Martian Death Ray, whatever you want. There is NO legal requirement to have the correct caliber marked anywhere on your lower receiver. The 1st Amendment still applies. If you have a copy of this letter, please post it. I am sure somebody would love to take them to task for it.

-Mb
Old 07-19-2011, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes if you are able to legally obtain and purchase such mags.

But rimfire isn't subject to CA AW Regulations. So no BB needed.
Old 07-19-2011, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Could you post this letter for us please? I was under the impression that the caliber markings on the lower meant nothing and could not be used to prosecute.
Old 07-19-2011, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

No one has mentioned Colt's CM901. .308 and 5.56 compatible:http://www.defensereview.com/dr-excl...ry-forces-gif/
Old 07-19-2011, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by till44 View Post
No one has mentioned Colt's CM901. .308 and 5.56 compatible:http://www.defensereview.com/dr-excl...ry-forces-gif/
I was just searching this thread to see if that had been mentioned. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure its Unobtainium at least for now.
Old 07-19-2011, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

i swear i remember seeing a bolt action .50DTC upper for an AR15 lower that had a left side feeding magazine......

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 07-19-2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
i swear i remember seeing a bolt action .50DTC upper for an AR15 lower that had a left side feeding magazine......
Safety Harbor offers that upper, http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/...rs/uppers.html , and will chamber in DTC if needed, IIRC.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-19-2011, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

If true (which it's not) then .22lr conversion kits would be illegal
Old 07-19-2011, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity;
Another request for that letter.

Can I take my soldering iron and enhance my plum crazy lower to reflect 5.56. + .22lr?
Old 07-19-2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tba02 View Post
Another request for that letter.

Can I take my soldering iron and enhance my plum crazy lower to reflect 5.56. + .22lr?
I'd love to engrave M107 175mm on my receiver and go shoot .17

The range masters gonna laugh their *** off.
Old 07-19-2011, 8:45 PM

So, i'm curious, has anyone made an upper for one of the higher powered rimfire cartridges, like the .177 HMR? It wouldn't have any stopping power advantage per se, but it is a HELL of flat shooting and accurate cartridge, and would be great for varminting.
Old 07-19-2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by till44 View Post
Ya i was hoping for something i could actually get a hold of