Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM

During academy range instruction, I had ejected an empty off brand Sig P226 magazine. It hit the deck and went to pieces. I think it hit right on the heel of the bottom plate and that made the magazine disassemble itself. One of the instructions picked up the pieces and made a little speech to everybody about junk equiptment. The entire class had a good laugh at my expense. I promptly went to the association store and bought genuine Sig magazines.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Once at an indoor range shooting my Glock 29, my TLR-3 broke off and flew a few feet forward of the line. TLR-3 appears to have the weakest mount out of all the lights I've tried. I'd shot this pistol about 100 times with this light on previously with no issue. I was hoping no one noticed as I used a broom to recover it....

Not me, but my friend came all the way from his place to mine so we could head to the range. He brought everything...... except the key to unlock his gun's case. We ended up just shooting mine that day.
Old 12-14-2012, 2:42 AM

At the indoor range I had two paper targets set up, one on each clip. I was shooting at 5 yards then 3(can't remember why), didn't notice the loud group next to me had set their target as far down the lane as they could. I was looking at my target and didn't see theirs behind it, so when I started shooting at my left target the rounds ended up hitting theirs, messing up their bet!

Then the guy spoke accented english and kept asking me something about 4d, which his friend explained he was asking me if the caliber I shot was .40.

I apologized, I shoulda changed position so I was shooting directly in my lane instead of being lazy. It just never dawned on me before that could happen.

Oh and the first time I shot a pistol it was a rental .45 and I couldn't get the slide to release for some reason and dropped the magazine instead. Whoops! The range guys were cool and helped me out.
Old 12-14-2012, 3:05 AM

I got a group of friends excited about shooting my S12

only to realize I forgot the mags. DOH!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM

I was at a range once (which I won't name) and after the cease fire and safety check, everyone was allowed to go down range to check and post targets. We were all at our targets when over the loudspeaker we hear "the range is clear, you may commence firing". We all turned and looked toward the shooting stations and stared in disbelief for a couple seconds and then comes "cease fire! cease fire! the range is not clear!". Needless to say I've not seen that range master there since. Not embarrasing, but just unbelievable. Thank goodness when we looked toward the shooting stations there was no one at the line, since we were all down range!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM

This one time at a reenactment camp we where teaching new matchlock techniques and one of our trainers was instructing another shooter not to point the powder pan twords there face and became an example of how not to handle a lit match and open pan as it went off and resolved his hair from face and head
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM

went to the range about an hour drive, forgot the keys to the locks on rifles and handguns
Old 01-10-2013, 3:36 PM

My first time shooting a handgun, my target looked like I shot it with a bunch of buckshot from about 50 yards. The pistol line was at 7 yards. The target was a 2'x3' silhouette.
Old 01-11-2013, 5:18 PM

Shooting a BP pistol at an indoor range.

Old 01-11-2013, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

First time I ever handled or even a fired a gun was back in September of last year, when I bought a Ruger 556e. I walked myself up to the lane, picked up the rifle, assumed my stance, tried to ignore my pounding heart and the cold sweat as I shouldered the rifle and started to line up the red dot with the paper target. Being this was the first time I ever pulled a trigger I put a little pressure and then JERKED the trigger back-nothing happened because...............................the safety was ON.

I exhaled, prayed that no one saw my body shudder as it anticipated but didn't get the BANG and tried to reset myself. Took my stance, shouldered the weapon, lined up the red dot with the target, clicked the safety off, and then as I started to pull on the trigger the freaking 'MAG fell out of the well onto the floor-not the BANG I was looking for.

One round popped out and rolled down the lane. I was still shaking from the anticipation from the BANG that I dropped the rifle onto the table as I tried to reach for the 'mag at my feet. Suddenly remembering that the Ruger's safety wasn't on I tried to get back up but hit my head on the table. When I finally stood up there was this girl behind me filming the whole thing and laughing at the same time.

I wish I had gotten that footage. I wish I had gotten the girl's digits. I wish I hadn't lost that one round down the lane-I'm low on 'ammo right now...

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 01-11-2013, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One day, I picked up a new rifle from jail after work. I headed to the local outdoor range to try it out.

Once I arrived, I realized I didn't have any ammo for it. Oops. Then I posted about it on calguns.
Old 01-11-2013, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
First time I ever handled or even a fired a gun was back in September of last year, when I bought a Ruger 556e. I walked myself up to the lane, picked up the rifle, assumed my stance, tried to ignore my pounding heart and the cold sweat as I shouldered the rifle and started to line up the red dot with the paper target. Being this was the first time I ever pulled a trigger I put a little pressure and then JERKED the trigger back-nothing happened because...............................the safety was ON.

I exhaled, prayed that no one saw my body shudder as it anticipated but didn't get the BANG and tried to reset myself. Took my stance, shouldered the weapon, lined up the red dot with the target, clicked the safety off, and then as I started to pull on the trigger the freaking 'MAG fell out of the well onto the floor-not the BANG I was looking for.

One round popped out and rolled down the lane. I was still shaking from the anticipation from the BANG that I dropped the rifle onto the table as I tried to reach for the 'mag at my feet. Suddenly remembering that the Ruger's safety wasn't on I tried to get back up but hit my head on the table. When I finally stood up there was this girl behind me filming the whole thing and laughing at the same time.

I wish I had gotten that footage. I wish I had gotten the girl's digits. I wish I hadn't lost that one round down the lane-I'm low on 'ammo right now...
Well, we all gotta start somewhere.

Old 01-28-2013, 6:37 PM

While I was stationed in Crete, Greece to my dismay I was picked for aux security force. I tried to get out of this duty and asked to be replaced with out any luck. I had heard that my blind as a bat friend had been dropped because he fail to qualify IDEA.....
The first 20 or so rounds were point blank almost arms length to the target but I used an over exaggerated trigger pull and missed the target completely.
After 2 rounds of not qualifying and everyone getting pissed off because we couldn't leave till I qual'ed one range coach came over to talked to me after my last round of fire as the other went to count my score. Magically I just barely passed. There it was several bulls eyes (where the f.. Did that come from)
At the bar months later I ran into the head range coach who told me he looked in my file and not only had I shot expert in the past but I was a range coach only one year prior. He told me he poked holes in the bulls eye with his pencil. It was so dark by the end of the day I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 01-28-2013, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post
While I was stationed in Crete, Greece to my dismay I was picked for aux security force. I tried to get out of this duty and asked to be replaced with out any luck. I had heard that my blind as a bat friend had been dropped because he fail to qualify IDEA.....
The first 20 or so rounds were point blank almost arms length to the target but I used an over exaggerated trigger pull and missed the target completely.
After 2 rounds of not qualifying and everyone getting pissed off because we couldn't leave till I qual'ed one range coach came over to talked to me after my last round of fire as the other went to count my score. Magically I just barely passed. There it was several bulls eyes (where the f.. Did that come from)
At the bar months later I ran into the head range coach who told me he looked in my file and not only had I shot expert in the past but I was a range coach only one year prior. He told me he poked holes in the bulls eye with his pencil. It was so dark by the end of the day I couldn't tell the difference.
So am I paying you to miss?
or
Are you just trying to avoid the duty you singed up for?

if so WTF!
Old 01-29-2013, 5:23 AM

ASF is a glorified "hall monitor" position.
I didn't sign up to be police over my own people.
Stood duty, that was just a type that I didn't like.
Think of it as if your boss told you you had to plan the Christmas party.

Last edited by todd2968; 01-29-2013 at 6:55 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 5:39 AM
Vietnam Vet
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
I chambered a 9mm round into my .45 1911, watched the whole round fall out the muzzle. Heard all my friends laughing in the background.
This isn't unusual, I have done it and would guess many others here have to. Feel like a dummie? I sure did....

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-29-2013, 8:21 AM
CGSSA Associate

I've only been shooting for a few months, and we have a membership at an indoor range near us. My dad came down for a visit and was talking about wanting to go the range, so I took him.

He started by loading the ammo into the magazine...backward. Then proceeded to try and shoot one handed, finally jamming that poor Baretta. When he tried to un-jam it, he didn't drop the magazine so I had to go over and tell him to do that. While trying to un jam the slide, he was holding it all weird...so of course he pulled the trigger, shot the ceiling, and cut open his thumb pretty bad. So he goes out and gets a bandaid from the counter.

Then we were shooting a little .22 S&W rifle, and he just could NOT figure out how to aim and got all frustrated and started rapid firing. Then got in trouble because that range is not ok with that.

So, well, it wasn't anything I did but I was pretty embarrassed.
Old 01-29-2013, 2:07 PM

Went out to Lytle Creek a few years back with several friends. My buddy brought his pistol-grip 12 guage for the first time. We all shot it and was having a blast, until one of my buddies put it to his face, pulled the trigger, and ripped his lip open and tore out about a third of his moustache.
After making sure he was ok, we gave him our fair share of crap.
Not 10 minutes later, it was my turn on the shotgun. I didn't have enough bird shot left, so the very first round I put in was magnum buckshot, and the rest bird shot. I put the gun up in front of my face but about 8 inches away so I could still aim but not destroy my face. The first 5 rounds were fine, but the very last shot was the magnum buck. The shotgun came straight back and knocked me in the nose, instand nose bleed out of both nostrils and a nice fat lip. Talk about karma
Old 01-29-2013, 4:00 PM
Banned

On a range with knock down targets, I took it upon myself to shoot mine and the next four lanes to my left. I beat the other four shooter to their target every time it popped back up. I of course got a HUGE kick out of it, THEY DID NOT.
Old 01-29-2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post
ASF is a glorified "hall monitor" position.
I didn't sign up to be police over my own people.
Stood duty, that was just a type that I didn't like.
Think of it as if your boss told you you had to plan the Christmas party.
we all have things we dont want to do. I dont want to wipe my butt after a good crap but I dont want to smell like **** so it must be done.

My Dad once told me a story that he and his boss had a disagreement about something work related. what might have been punishment, the boss told my Dad to go clean the restrooms real well so my Dad complied and went to work cleaning the restrooms like he was born for it. Time passed and a Co-worker/friend to my Dad came in and ask how he could let the boss belittle/punish him just for the disagreement. My Dad told the friend that he used to clean restrooms when he started working at 15 years of age for less the $1 per hour. He smiled and told the guy now he gets to do the same job for about $20 per hour.

somethings need to be seen with at a different perspective
Old 01-30-2013, 5:00 PM

Back in 1981, When I bought my first Colt Sporter Rifle (AR15). Took it to the local range in Sac. I only bought 1 box of PMC. I loaded the magazine wih 20 rounds (In 1981, The colt came with a 20-round mag). With everyone watching, even the police, ALL 20 rounds flew out of the muzzle in less than 10 sec.

Colt Sporter went back to Colt for repair, and I went downtown for a little chat. Was not my fault, Paperwork cleared me, and a number of Sporters were checked, Just in case.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy-d View Post
Back in 1981, When I bought my first Colt Sporter Rifle (AR15). Took it to the local range in Sac. I only bought 1 box of PMC. I loaded the magazine wih 20 rounds (In 1981, The colt came with a 20-round mag). With everyone watching, even the police, ALL 20 rounds flew out of the muzzle in less than 10 sec.

Colt Sporter went back to Colt for repair, and I went downtown for a little chat. Was not my fault, Paperwork cleared me, and a number of Sporters were checked, Just in case.
probably more funny now, but not so much then
still have it i hope
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

read about the "polite" people here who inform everyone on the firing line when they shoot a big bore revolver at an indoor range. Did that, and was given the "been there, done that" speech by every person on the firing line. Just was not needed. Ever.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM

My #1 firearm faux-paus?

I've been hunting 15++ years and shooting 25+ years now. Get a COW ELK TAG for Xmas from my friend, who is a guide at the premier Vermejo Ranch in Northern NM. So my friend lets me use his Sako 300 win mag. I've owned the same rifle & scope combo previously (Monarch).

So I find my shooter cow elk hour into the hunt. Invited the Sako owner along. Mind you, I've shot the thing endlessly beforehand. He ranges the elk "She is at 218 yards". Perfect, rifle has a 200yd zero. Place crosshairs dead on her, pull trigger and WHAMMEE - instant profuse bleeding laceration & missed an EASY shot.

I had left the damn thing on 9X and wondered why I couldn't get focused. Failed to eye relief correctly and got SLICED open.

After we both laughed for a while & 2 more hours of venture, I nailed a cow elk (on the run) at just over 100yds.

Went to the hillbilly urgent care in my old town, covered in my blood and elk blood. Poor receptionist thought I had been hemmorhaging.

Dead elk in back of GMC Yukon Denali, with A.C. Full blast in the parking lot - my buddy waited till I was done. We then dropped her off at the butcher. Naturally he got extra backstrap and jerky after that fiasco.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
read about the "polite" people here who inform everyone on the firing line when they shoot a big bore revolver at an indoor range. Did that, and was given the "been there, done that" speech by every person on the firing line. Just was not needed. Ever.
I never understood the rule of announcing what Im going to shoot and where I am when I pull the trigger. I can still focus with shots on both sides of me, if someone else cant that is not my fault. It just another part of my skill refinement.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:17 AM
In Memoriam

Last year, I want to say Oct time frame, we had invited our friends out to soot with us at Mike Raahauge's and it was my first time shooting my 870 after I had put in the Vang Comp stainless steel follower...well I forgotten to tighten the magazine cap/ barrell clamp...needless to say the mag cap and spring flew out a couple meters....while my wife was shooting it. Haha lucky everyone still had their fingers and toes, but not my pride. Next time I will be using just enough tighting pressure, but not enough to strip the threads...maybe Loctite???
Old 02-01-2013, 9:41 AM
In Memoriam

Another one, when I was still in country, my 2nd deployment to Iraq. I was on the MIT team (military intergated transition team) I was only Fam-fired (familiarized firing) with it, didnt qualify with if, cause lack of seats to the pistol range. Going to the chowhall, I took out my issued Beretta M9 out of the holster, pointed the pistol into the clearing barrel, dropped the mag, racked the slide back. Then without thinking, sent the slide home, on my left middle finger underneath the first knuckle. Good thing no one else noticed, I just went into the chowhall with a bleeding middle finger. Lesson learned.
Old 02-01-2013, 1:07 PM

I brought my newly built m14 to range and it failed to extract on the first round. Mike Thompson, The fella running the show saw I had problems cocking it and helped me out. Second round, same thing. Right before shooting the third round, LIGHTBULB! Mike must have had the same "aha!" moment, or was just waiting for me to figure it out myself, hands me a screwdriver to open up the gas to semi auto.

Other than that I have forgotten mags, ammo, keys, ear pro, etc. Once left two gun boxes at the range. inside: m1 garand, m1 carbine, 1903, 1917, and possibly that new m14 on that same day. I am glad there are some honest folks out there, otherwise someone could have had nice little grab bag of americana.

Usually I go shooting out in the desert, last time I left my shoes, not driving 1.5 hours back for those.
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.

Last edited by paratroop; 02-01-2013 at 1:14 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 2:57 PM

Last time at my local range i decided to buy 500 rounds of 223 reloads. The counter guy quietly asks me if I am an LEO and (being new) I said nah I'm an aquarius. The counter guy next to him started cracking up. Awesome with awesome sauce.