Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-28-2013, 6:32 AM

Default san bernardino changes reference requirements?

I just had my interview yesterday 2-27. the interviewer still wanted my 3 letters but said, starting two weeks ago, they no longer contact the 4 people you list on the application.
Old 02-28-2013, 7:53 AM
Banned

Interesting. Do the four on the application have to be different people than the three who write letters,

If so, it would seem that the only difference is that they don't send letters/questionnaires to the four on the app.

Still, this is an improvement and should speed things along.

Are they still doing 15-20 minute, 1:1 interviews? Someone else posted recently that they may
move to group interviews, whatever that is.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Sounds like progress. Hopefully, it will evolve to a rubber stamp after a standard DOJ check since really, what do they learn from anyone writing a letter or those being listed on the application? Who would list someone that would be a contrary reference? And what about folks new to the community?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Sounds like progress. Hopefully, it will evolve to a rubber stamp after a standard DOJ check since really, what do they learn from anyone writing a letter or those being listed on the application? Who would list someone that would be a contrary reference? And what about folks new to the community?
I know people who can legally own a weapon but shouldn't. No way would I be anywhere near them if they had a CCW. I am sure there are denials for cause where guns are not taken away.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
Interesting. Do the four on the application have to be different people than the three who write letters,

If so, it would seem that the only difference is that they don't send letters/questionnaires to the four on the app.

Still, this is an improvement and should speed things along.

Are they still doing 15-20 minute, 1:1 interviews? Someone else posted recently that they may
move to group interviews, whatever that is.
i'm not sure if you even list 4 people on the app anymore, but to answer your question, yes they had to be different people. My wife is going to pick up her app next week, i will know more then.

the interview and the live scan, along with the waiting room times was an hour and a half total. not bad at all. and yes it is 1:1.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to donate to sheriff at election time. He is right for our county.

half of you here are weak and lame that will basically wind up being happy with .22 single shot pistols or single barrel shotguns..

Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
retired Goon

From other forums...
San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon has recently changed the issuance policy again and no longer accepts "personal protection/self-defense" as a reasonable good cause for issuance. Need to articulate something more than just a simply self-defense statement.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
From other forums...
San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon has recently changed the issuance policy again and no longer accepts "personal protection/self-defense" as a reasonable good cause for issuance. Need to articulate something more than just a simply self-defense statement.
Ya gotta wonder why an otherwise pro-2A sheriff would backtrack like that.
Old 03-01-2013, 8:52 AM
Banned

Default Good cause

Quote:
From other forums...
I don't believe that is accurate. My understanding is they won't allow you to write ONLY "personal protection/self defense". You can still write this, but they now want you to also write a paragraph or two explaining what this means to you.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the threshold for approval has changed. They just want more than a few words in the good cause section.

In other words, your explanation of why you feel the need to protect yourself doesn't seem to have to meet a threshold that is higher than what they used in the past. This was explained to me in a recent renewal class. They didn't critique what we wrote. They just didn't want two words "personal protection" to be the only thing written in the good cause section.

If people are writing their explanation on the form and getting denied for this sole reason, that is news to me and would represent a definite change in approach. Historically, they approve virtually everyone who is not prohibited.

If someone has recently been denied, I would very much like to hear about it.

EDIT: Our new Sheriff was specifically asked about this very recently and emphatically stated that he strongly believes that non-prohibited residents in his county should be allowed to get an LTC and carry, and that he would be making no changes other than trying to clear up the back log and streamline the process. This is exactly the message we were given in our renewal class. New LTC's showed up in the mail shortly afterwards.

Last edited by Calplinker; 03-01-2013 at 9:11 AM..
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
I don't believe that is accurate. My understanding is they won't allow you to write ONLY "personal protection/self defense". You can still write this, but they now want you to also write a paragraph or two explaining what this means to you.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the threshold for approval has changed. They just want more than a few words in the good cause section.

In other words, your explanation of why you feel the need to protect yourself doesn't seem to have to meet a threshold that is higher than what they used in the past. This was explained to me in a recent renewal class. They didn't critique what we wrote. They just didn't want two words "personal protection" to be the only thing written in the good cause section.

If people are writing their explanation on the form and getting denied for this sole reason, that is news to me and would represent a definite change in approach. Historically, they approve virtually everyone who is not prohibited.

If someone has recently been denied, I would very much like to hear about it.

EDIT: Our new Sheriff was specifically asked about this very recently and emphatically stated that he strongly believes that non-prohibited residents in his county should be allowed to get an LTC and carry, and that he would be making no changes other than trying to clear up the back log and streamline the process. This is exactly the message we were given in our renewal class. New LTC's showed up in the mail shortly afterwards.
and it is obvious they ARE clearing up and streamlining the process.
Old 03-03-2013, 7:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
From other forums...
What they want is more than just the 2 words that can be eloquently and succinctly articulated in front of a judge in the event you ever get dragged into a wrongful death civil court case. For example: I want a CCW permit to protect myself, and my family, against the ever increasing number violent criminals, who have no absolutely no qualms about killing uniformed police officers, let alone civilians, during a time when many departments are reducing the number of officers available.

This is also new, "Not to be used for employment purposes"

Old 03-04-2013, 4:25 AM

Quote:
From other forums...
isn't self defense the only reason to ccw? I articulated my personal reason for wanting to carry, and from all accounts it was reasonable according to the interviewer. it was the truth, i used the whole page provided on the app to explain some details, but in no way was it iron clad. i doubt it would have been strong enough in some other counties. the jury is still out though.
Old 04-30-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
From other forums...
If you would take a look at the Old or New CADOJ form (page 10 of 13) towards the bottom of the page--- you will notice the following paragraph:

"If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others , or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license. For example, has you life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, location, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported.

Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license. Use additional pages if necessary.

So, this is not the Sheriff changing his mind, it is the State of California requiring the additional information.

Sheriff McMahon is 100 % behind the issuance of CCW permits.

Last edited by glockcougar; 04-30-2013 at 2:58 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 3:53 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcougar View Post
If you would take a look at the Old or New CADOJ form (page 10 of 13) towards the bottom of the page--- you will notice the following paragraph:

"If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others , or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license. For example, has you life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, location, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported.

Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license. Use additional pages if necessary.

So, this is not the Sheriff changing his mind, it is the State of California requiring the additional information.

Sheriff McMahon is 100 % behind the issuance of CCW permits.
It's lovely that CA-DOJ is paying some attention to the application, but language on the app is not either Penal Code or regulation.

Since there have been no changes in those, the applicable consideration is PC 26150 (a)(2) "(2) Good cause exists for issuance of the license." and the issuing agencies remain free to assess 'good cause' in whatever way the CLEO feels is adequate.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-01-2013, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
It's lovely that CA-DOJ is paying some attention to the application, but language on the app is not either Penal Code or regulation.

Since there have been no changes in those, the applicable consideration is PC 26150 (a)(2) "(2) Good cause exists for issuance of the license." and the issuing agencies remain free to assess 'good cause' in whatever way the CLEO feels is adequate.
I agree, but you still have to follow the directions on the "official document." This form is what will be brought into court. I know. I have been there and it wasn't pretty. Nothing like having an attorney asking why the form wasn't completed as directed. "Personal protection" is valid but it is not a complete thought, according to the court system. When everything u own, including your freedom, is being judged on two words, it is scary. How easy is it to explain in a short sentence why you want this. What is sad is to read why people don't know why they want it. Guess a jury of "not your peers" would love to hear why you are feel the need why u want to carry a gun and you say " I don't know why!" Guess what California is not gun friendly if you haven't figured it out yet. We need to protect ourselves with education and intelligence not just because we can attitude. This is how we lost our open carry, is because we could. Now we can't !!!
Old 03-05-2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john67elco View Post
I'm going to donate to sheriff at election time. He is right for our county.
I agree!
Old 03-01-2013, 6:42 AM

I have a great GC more extensive then just personal protection but never listed it due to the current requirements. If it has changed I am confident I will still be fine but this sucks if its true.
Old 03-01-2013, 6:48 PM

You are required to explain why you need the CCW over and beyond Personal Protection for SB County now but the explanation doesn't have to be extensive. As long as you have a reasonable thought process you can explain personal protection. What makes you a target? As Mtn folk says the sheriff likes the thought of an armed public, as long as you are armed legally.

Last edited by fyrguy; 03-01-2013 at 6:51 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn folk View Post
I just had my interview yesterday 2-27. the interviewer still wanted my 3 letters but said, starting two weeks ago, they no longer contact the 4 people you list on the application.
are you sure your info isnt backwards? my interview was on the 26th and they told me they didnt need the 3 reference letters, that the 4 people they contact by mail were the important ones. if that were the case, they wouldnt have anyone to get ahold of regarding my application. please let me know, want to make sure the process isnt delayed more than it has to be.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperP2005 View Post
are you sure your info isnt backwards? my interview was on the 26th and they told me they didnt need the 3 reference letters, that the 4 people they contact by mail were the important ones. if that were the case, they wouldnt have anyone to get ahold of regarding my application. please let me know, want to make sure the process isnt delayed more than it has to be.

Thanks!
i guess it could be backwards but only if the interviewer misunderstood my question. He looked over my 3 ref. letters and just glanced at the 4 on the app. at the end of the interview he asked if i had any questions. i asked, " how long until the people listed on the app recieve their letters, I want to give them an idea?" His repy was "as of two weeks ago, we no longer do that". I have 3 ref letters and 4 refs listed on my app as that was the instructions at the time. But i do believe the ref letters had phone # and address requirements.
Old 04-30-2013, 2:31 PM

Default Reference Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperP2005 View Post

Thanks!
You no longer need reference letters nor references as of March 2013.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Miss-use?????
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM

My bf has an appt on the 15th and he called them and yes they no longer need the letters, but they still want the 4 people to contact.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Off topic, but does anyone know if SBC still has a 1-year residency requirement?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Yes. SB does have a one year residence policy.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if that means you can get your application after 4 months and then wait for the 8-month process.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

The whole notion is silly. I can find four people who'll swear I walk on water and feed a multitude with a few fishes and loaves!