Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-05-2013, 6:30 AM
Banned

I agree, Gorski should not be on the competent list, he has caused as much delay and bad law as Kilmer. Showing up late to oral argument was insane, but I do at least applaud him and Kilmer for trying. As to Nichols, he has done a very good job of presenting your arguments and boxing otero and Harris into a corner. Not sure if you have read his motion, but it is far superior to michels' Orange County debacle of a motion.
Old 06-05-2013, 6:36 AM
Banned

I wish we had an honest wiki that gave us all an update on all cases in CA related to RTC: Michel has an oc federal case & an LA state case. Calguns has scocca and an LA state case. Birdt has San Bernardino and Ventura fed cases with rulings due shortly. Gorski has at least one new fed case. Then in the 9th Richards, peruta, baker and Mehl are post Orals and birdts three have been fully briefed pending Orals. I would imagine there are a few more...
Old 06-05-2013, 6:46 AM
Banned

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit
belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by
dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short
again and again; who knows great enthusiasm, the devotions, and spends
himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high
achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring
greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold timid souls who
know neither victory nor defeat." --Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-05-2013, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Woollard will be at SCOTUS in a month or so. This would seem to be the best opportunity. Does anyone think SCOTUS would pass up Woollard for a case asking for a non-licensed right to open carry? Only way I see that happening is if they flat out want a circuit split before they'll act.
Old 06-05-2013, 2:51 PM
Banned

No- they will deny cert and wait for the 9th. to issue their long overdue opinions and then issue an opinion next term/summer addressing all.
Old 06-06-2013, 5:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonwall View Post
I agree, Gorski should not be on the competent list, he has caused as much delay and bad law as Kilmer. Showing up late to oral argument was insane, but I do at least applaud him and Kilmer for trying. As to Nichols, he has done a very good job of presenting your arguments and boxing otero and Harris into a corner. Not sure if you have read his motion, but it is far superior to michels' Orange County debacle of a motion.

I have read his latest. I must admit, it don't look bad. But, his past acts make me leery.

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
Old 06-07-2013, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit
belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by
dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short
again and again; who knows great enthusiasm, the devotions, and spends
himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high
achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring
greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold timid souls who
know neither victory nor defeat." --Theodore Roosevelt

I'm guessing this is directed at me. And I ignored it. Which I should not have done. My apologies.

Now then. There's no way I myself am going to take an LOC case to the courts. Appellate law is a skill. A very specialized skill. A skill that I don't have. So, while I am happy pointing out the need for such a case, I'm also smart enough to just hope that those who do have the skills do the work that is so obviously needed.

The Raisuli

Last edited by Mulay El Raisuli; 06-07-2013 at 7:16 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 7:35 AM
Banned

It was more of a general comment. Many people on this list have devoted a great deal of time to ridiculing those who act but aren't calguns approved. There has also been a history of strife even with Michele and the NRA. At the end of the day, it turns out the right people have done some pretty bad things for us (Nordyke & Peterson) and yet I applaud their efforts. Nichols was much maligned and yet you agree he has done a competent job of putting this exact issue forward.
I admire Gorski's tenacity, but his legal acumen is quite unimpressive as is his track record. Birdt has three well briefed cases, and despite the attacks on his character, his good moral character was stipulated to and he has three solidly briefed cases pending in the 9th-the only ones with actual discovery and expert opinions, along with several new district court cases challenging various LTC issues.
The CGF spinoff appears to be doing some great work as well at the state level, though I do think Scocca is a bad case as is are the various orange county and Los Angeles cases they and Michel have filed.
So at the end of the day, this exchange of thoughts is a great idea, but the attacks and vitriol make it a difficult prospect as does the desire for one sided control. If this were to be an honest for for gun issues in this state we would have a coordinated wiki keeping everyone informed about everything including what gorski is doing, good or bad. Here you spent 11 pages debating a point that you now acknowledge had already been fully and competently briefed. Many express concern that more should be done, but are unaware that more is being done, you just don't know it because it isn't being done by the right people- whoever they may be this day.
Old 06-07-2013, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 06-08-2013, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It was more of a general comment. Many people on this list have devoted a great deal of time to ridiculing those who act but aren't calguns approved. There has also been a history of strife even with Michele and the NRA. At the end of the day, it turns out the right people have done some pretty bad things for us (Nordyke & Peterson) and yet I applaud their efforts. Nichols was much maligned and yet you agree he has done a competent job of putting this exact issue forward.
I admire Gorski's tenacity, but his legal acumen is quite unimpressive as is his track record. Birdt has three well briefed cases, and despite the attacks on his character, his good moral character was stipulated to and he has three solidly briefed cases pending in the 9th-the only ones with actual discovery and expert opinions, along with several new district court cases challenging various LTC issues.
The CGF spinoff appears to be doing some great work as well at the state level, though I do think Scocca is a bad case as is are the various orange county and Los Angeles cases they and Michel have filed.
So at the end of the day, this exchange of thoughts is a great idea, but the attacks and vitriol make it a difficult prospect as does the desire for one sided control. If this were to be an honest for for gun issues in this state we would have a coordinated wiki keeping everyone informed about everything including what gorski is doing, good or bad. Here you spent 11 pages debating a point that you now acknowledge had already been fully and competently briefed. Many express concern that more should be done, but are unaware that more is being done, you just don't know it because it isn't being done by the right people- whoever they may be this day.

The 11 pages were necessary because the hearts & minds here have to be enlightened as well. If for no other reason than to put pressure (hopefully) on those who can help Gorski & the others fighting the fight.

A coordinated Wiki is a GREAT idea.

The Raisuli

Old 06-08-2013, 8:19 AM
Banned

Perhaps the powers at be for the wiki could reach out to Michel, Gorski, Birdt and Nichols so that we can all know what is actually happening in California doing so in a non confrontational way? I know Birdt has been banned but would be happy to participate and has many of the new cases posted on his site as well as much of the appellate records. Michel has some stuff on the oc case but there are no updates on the la cases by calguns or Michel (could be nothing to report).
Old 06-08-2013, 8:34 AM
Banned

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post11538013